Code of Conduct

Default For the MdM lover...

After taking a break from fragrances and culling the herd (particularly now that my new chaplain's assignment at a hospital requires me to be "fragrance free") a vendor who I normally do business with acquired a bottle of Mouchoir de Monsieur for me - a luxury I normally reject. Feeling like I needed a pick me up, I bought the bottle. Today I received the fragrance and tried it on. Smelling it just makes me feel good. Like most Guerlain fragrances.

I am trying to rebuild my collection and I have decided to focus mostly on Guerlain fragrances, since my wife and I pretty much gravitate towards that house. Nevertheless, is there anything that I should add to my collection that is similar to Mouchoir de Monsieur (with the exception of Jicky)?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: For the MdM lover...

I wouldn't say it's similar to Mouchoir, but if you're focusing on Guerlain, I'd advocate trying to find some Habit Rouge, Beau Cavalier edition. It's an EdP version of that classic, and it has a bit of agarwood in it that gives it a bit of a different feel.

As an EdP, it's a bit more potent and lasting than the EdT. Much smoooooother too. I mention it with some urgency since it's a limited edition and who knows how long it will be around. A bit tricky to find. I scored some at Saks and like it so much I already bought a backup.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th June 2010 at 04:23 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Try anything from Guerlain you can get your hands on. Seriously.

Welcome back Texican.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try anything from Guerlain you can get your hands on. Seriously.

Welcome back Texican.
    I'd try anything from any house right now. My wife recently got me a sample of Fumerie Turque by SL. I'm not much of a smoker, but it reminded me of my trip to Syria a few weeks ago - charcoal, hookah, and monasteries lingering with thousands of years of incensed offerings.
    Last edited by Texican; 30th June 2010 at 04:52 AM.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Sur la Plage

Habit Rouge EDC - vintage if possible
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

To be honest, out of all of Jean Paul Guerlain's fragrances, Habit Rouge is my least favorite (I have a decant of the current edc). It should be the object of my adoration since I love Shalimar on my wife (and I have a habit of lightly dabbing my handkerchiefs in her stash). I think someone best described Habit Rouge as being "wonky." Maybe it is orange notes in it which set me off. I don't know.

MdM is in a class of its own. Having finished a bottle recently, I miss its well-tuned, perfectly attenuated citrus, florals, civet and the guerlain base. Its a melange of heavy notes rendered with watercolors. And consequently very satisfying and wearable. Jicky can be considered a more forceful heavier version of MdM but to me it doesn't have the same effortless impact.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    MdM is in a class of its own. Having finished a bottle recently, I miss its well-tuned, perfectly attenuated citrus, florals, civet and the guerlain base. Its a melange of heavy notes rendered with watercolors. And consequently very satisfying and wearable. Jicky can be considered a more forceful heavier version of MdM but to me it doesn't have the same effortless impact.
    I love Jicky in its own right. I have thought about procuring a bottle, but cannot find a good source (I bought a bottle of the parfum extrait for my mother from Neiman's back when I bought into the whole "men can't wear frags marketed to women" bs). I actually miss it since my mother loves the fragrance so much.

If you like Mouchoir, I would have to say add Habit Rouge to your collection. As StylinLA mentioned, the Beau Cavalier EDP version is wonderful with the addition of agarwood (oud) but the EDT is OK, too. If you can find the ultra-rare Habit Rouge pure parfum, this will be a real treat, but this was a numbered, limited edition and sold out.

You may also wish to try Caron's Pour Un Homme EDT. This is a wonderful lavender vanilla which might delight you if you like Mouchoir. Very clean and no blast of civet.

And do buy a bottle of Jicky...for yourself!
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd July 2010 at 05:34 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    You may also wish to try Caron's Pour Un Homme EDT. This is a wonderful lavender vanilla which might delight you if you like Mouchoir. Very clean and no blast of civet.

I tried Mouchoir de Monsieur recently and could not tolerate the 'fecal' smell. I have smelled that same thing in C&S Cuba and Heritage EDP. It was the most overwhelming in Mouchoir de Monsieur. What is the concept that a perfumer is trying to get across with using civet or anything that smells like this. I am trying to understand the idea or feeling or goal behind it? I know with YSL Concentree, the recipe if you will produces a 'sweat' smell. Is civet supposed to replicate sweat, and manly body odor and have an pheromone/aphrodesiac type affect?
    Last edited by neal; 3rd July 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    I tried Mouchoir de Monsieur recently and could not tolerate the 'fecal' smell. I have smelled that same thing in C&S Cuba and Heritage EDP. It was the most overwhelming in Mouchoir de Monsieur. What is the concept that a perfumer is trying to get across with using civet or anything that smells like this. I am trying to understand the idea or feeling or goal behind it? As to me it just smells plain bad?
    I didn't find the civet note to be overwhelming in MdM. The fragrance as a whole stays close to the skin, and civet is melded well with the guerlain vanilla-tonka base and the florals in the heart notes. To me atleast the civet is far less prominent than in Jicky.
    -

You should def try Eau Du Coq
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    You should def try Eau Du Coq
    I have tried du Coq. It is a great eaux and I have a healthy decant of it. Unfortunately, the longevity of the whole thing stays my purchasing hand from getting a full bottle. I find 4711 meets my citric needs quite well.

I tried Mouchoir de Monsieur recently and could not tolerate the 'fecal' smell. I have smelled that same thing in C&S Cuba and Heritage EDP. It was the most overwhelming in Mouchoir de Monsieur. What is the concept that a perfumer is trying to get across with using civet or anything that smells like this. I am trying to understand the idea or feeling or goal behind it? I know with YSL Concentree, the recipe if you will produces a 'sweat' smell. Is civet supposed to replicate sweat, and manly body odor and have an pheromone/aphrodesiac type affect?
    I'm just as baffled also. I find civet, and anything else added to fragrances that smell like fecal matter, body odor, sweat etc. absolutely repulsive and nauseating to wear.

I didn't know MdM had it and I was searching for years for a sample, since it was a Guerlain. I finally obtained a decant from a Basenotes member. That first note was disgusting. It wore off right away and the scent became nice, but then just disappeared in less than an hour. That's another thing I can't understand - why are fragrances made that last for so short a time.

Someone mentioned on Basenotes that Zizanie smelled like MdM without the repulsive civet and that it was strong and long lasting. I found this to be true and Zizanie became one of my favorite scents.

The MdM hits with a big blast of civet, but this quickly fades. I, too, was horrified with the civet and it took a few tries until I "got" Mouchoir. Now I thoroughly enjoy it.

BTW, Guerlain Derby is also a treat. Refined and floral with leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sur la Plage

How about Cologne du 68?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have a feeling that Habit Rouge EDT Legere will appeal to you. It removes the HR "kinks". More lime on top, and much less powdery.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Institution

What is the concept that a perfumer is trying to get across with using civet or anything that smells like this. I am trying to understand the idea or feeling or goal behind it?

...Is civet supposed to replicate sweat, and manly body odor and have an pheromone/aphrodesiac type affect?
    Read more info on civet here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/187...fans-out-there

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    How about Cologne du 68?
    Second this one to try. You know it's a Guerlain, it lasts (not a traditional EDC) and it's very versatile.

Nicolai Pour Homme may also be worth a look - there's lavender and she is at least related
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 6th July 2010 at 04:34 AM.

I could be wrong, but I found some similarities of MdM with
    Vol de Nuit Guerlain (parfum),
    Ungaro II,
    Fougere Royale Houbigant (vintage)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I could be wrong, but I found some similarities of MdM with
    Vol de Nuit Guerlain (parfum)...
    I agree

I, too, love MdM and have used it a lot over the years. It is really a beautiful fragrance.

My only criticism is that it has very short longevity - it quickly degenerates to a skin scent on my, usually within two hours. If I apply Jicky (esp the extrait or EDP), it sticks with me the entire day and usually into the night. Does anyone else experience this short longevity on their skin?

Teddius

Quote Originally Posted by Teddius View Post
    I, too, love MdM and have used it a lot over the years. It is really a beautiful fragrance.

My only criticism is that it has very short longevity - it quickly degenerates to a skin scent on my, usually within two hours. If I apply Jicky (esp the extrait or EDP), it sticks with me the entire day and usually into the night. Does anyone else experience this short longevity on their skin?

Teddius
    I get a good 8-12 hours with MdM if I spray it on my chest and wear an undershirt.

Have you tried Derby? About as hard to find as MdM, but hits a lot of the same notes that MdM does IMHO.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Have you tried Derby? About as hard to find as MdM, but hits a lot of the same notes that MdM does IMHO.
    Yeah, I've tried Derby. I have small decant of it. Unfortunately it is hard to find and incredibly expensive as it is now an exclusive. Which, unfortunately, I think Mouchoir may become one someday.