Code of Conduct

Default a fresh non flowery vetiver

hi there folks,

it's me again on my journey for good scents.
    i actually own lalique's ENCRE NOIRE and KENZO AIR by kenzo.

i use the encre noire for colder days ir at night time.
    kenzo air is my daytime-frag.

but the problem i have with kenzo air is that it just don't last on my skin.
    it smells great but after 2 hours its gone. and i use 3-6 sprays on my arms and my chest.

so i am looking for a new fresh vetiver woody something for the summer.

any suggestions ?

Default Re: a fresh non flowery vetiver

Sel de Vetiver!!

Perfect vetiver for the summer!

i have been thinking about it.
    it's unisex. perhaps its to flowery for me.
    it's difficult to get a sample of it here in germany.

any other suggestions beside sel de vetiver ?

Vertical Limit

Sur la Plage

Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

vettiveru & sel de vetiver are on my list for testing, ok.

what else ?
    sorry, i cant find Vertical Limit in the directory

You can also try Vetiver by Annick Goutal, which is a earthy, boozy vetiver scent.

but is it also fresh.
    i'm 26

Kenzo Air..perhaps you may like Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Have tried it couple times, usually not a big fans of vetiver but quite enjoy this one, nothing complicated from it but rather modern and chic actually

i'd love to try VE but it is so damn expensive.

My recommendation would be EldO's Fat Electrician. I'm a HUGE vetiver fan and this (along with Vetiver Extraordinaire) is at the very top of my list. It's wonderful! I'd recommend CdG's Vettiveru, but you said longevity is an issue and Vettiveru is an eau de cologne whereas Fat Electrician is an eau de parfum! Seriously, it's a must try for any vetiver lover. It's VERY fresh and doesn't have any flowery element. Honestly, it might even beat-out Vetiver Extraordinaire in my book. It's that good. Don't let the name fool you. It's a seriously respectable composition. It'll knock your socks off. Oh, and it's also rather affordable. It's only $80 at Luckyscent. Good luck in your search!

EldO's Fat Electrician

mmmh, i can see vanilla in the pyramid.
    is it sweet ?
    i can't imagine a sweet vetiver

I wore Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver for the first time yesterday. It had all the stuff I liked about Guerlain, and none of the stuff I didn't. Less sweet and citrus. Smoother. Might be worth a try.

How can I forget Chanel's Sycomore? It's smooth and non-floral vetiver. It starts with a blast of earthy, rooty vetiver, but ends up being a little sweeter and brighter than Encre Noire.

If you wanna try sweet vetivers, you've got to try Vetiver Tonker. It's a really sweet vetiver/vanilla bland. Very nice, but a little too sweet. If you don't like it too sweet, you can try Vetiver Oriental.

Quote Originally Posted by white View Post
    EldO's Fat Electrician

is it sweet ?
    Yes it it sweet and creamy and smooth especially when it has tonka bean in it. Lovely gourmand-y vetiver?
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Point Blank

Hi there white,

Like you I'm love with Encre Noire - it's my only "grail" scent. However, it's not very versatile and I'm looking for more options. Having tried some of the suggestions above, imo Vettiveru is worthless - it's a boozy lemon-vetiver blast followed by nothing - in half an hour I can't smell anything. Sycomore is stunning, but it's an evening frag like encre noire and more formal. Vetiver Oriental I don't get - not much resemblence to the raw vetiver in EN, just sweet-soapy imo. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is awesome - not as raw vetiver as in EN or Vetiver Extraordinaire but still present with dark citrus and slight saltiness - however, works better for office wear than casual wear but this is hair-splitting. Sel de Vetiver - if you are looking for something casual, raw and avant garde like EN, this is it in my book. This is wonderful stuff. However, it totally lacks warmth and sweetness so it's not very inviting/cosy but it's intriguing like EN - but better for hot weather/daily wear.

That said, I still have a bunch of vetiver samples on the way to try per basenote advice
    Last edited by Point Blank; 29th June 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Try Bright Visit by Azzaro. Or Story by Paul Smith.

EldO's Fat Electrician

is it sweet ?
    If you wanna try sweet vetivers, you've got to try Vetiver Tonker. It's a really sweet vetiver/vanilla bland. Very nice, but a little too sweet. If you don't like it too sweet, you can try Vetiver Oriental
    I own and love Fat Electrician. I don't get much vanilla AT ALL, although, the tonka is rather pronounced (which is good, in my book). I also own and love Hermessence Vetiver Tonka. IMO, the two are very, VERY, similiar. That bit of sweetness rounds off the edges and creates a more inviting aura (IMO). I also own SL's Vetiver Oriental. Did I mention I love vetiver? I also, really, really like this one. As was stated above (and I agree) it doesn't have the sweet quality of the other two mentioned. It's more sterile or formal, but lovely all the same. It has a more professional feel to it IMO. Like a distinguished gentleman's vetiver. Anyway, I'm enjoying this thread as, like I said, I love vetivers and could talk about them all day.

M;Men

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    I own and love Fat Electrician. I don't get much vanilla AT ALL, although, the tonka is rather pronounced (which is good, in my book). I also own and love Hermessence Vetiver Tonka. IMO, the two are very, VERY, similiar. That bit of sweetness rounds off the edges and creates a more inviting aura (IMO). I also own SL's Vetiver Oriental. Did I mention I love vetiver? I also, really, really like this one. As was stated above (and I agree) it doesn't have the sweet quality of the other two mentioned. It's more sterile or formal, but lovely all the same. It has a more professional feel to it IMO. Like a distinguished gentleman's vetiver. Anyway, I'm enjoying this thread as, like I said, I love vetivers and could talk about them all day.
    I own and love Fat Electrician as well. Unfortunately I have never sniffed Vetiver Tonka, so it is interesting to see your comparison. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th June 2010 at 07:19 PM.

How about Givenchy Vetiver? IMHO, I do not think it's floral at all, it is fresh, but you will need 4-6 sprays.

I own and love Vetiver Tonka and Vetiver Extraordinaire. I tried Sycomore a Fat Electrician and like them.
    in my order
    1(Tie) Vetiver Tonka and Vetiver Extraordinaire
    2 Sycomore
    3 Fat Electrician
    Im the be$t @ thi$

i will check out vetiver extraordinaire and grey vetiver
    thanks

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    How about Givenchy Vetiver? IMHO, I do not think it's floral at all, it is fresh, but you will need 4-6 sprays.
    this might get my vote, i'm hankering after a bottle myself.

i'm assuming you've tried the Guerlain? thoroughly un-floral to my nose (the neroli softens the citrus but certainly isnt floral) and hard to beat - it's audacious yet classic, cheap, excellent (in fact be careful) in terms of sillage and longevity, suitable for any occasion, masculine (the wonderful tobacco), clean, vibrant yet complex.

If you have tried the guerlain, give Lubin's a go, it's a similar exercise in vetiver (personally i prefer the guerlain) but certainly worth smelling, and the longevity is good.

i tried Sel de Vetiver a couple of weeks ago when i was in paris, pleasantly salty but *so* weak - although i'm starting to wonder if i tested a bad bottle, as it was gone within minutes.

Grey Vetiver is also really rather nice, longevity is great on me (12+ hours) although the sillage is weak/moderate, and more of a 'skin scent' after 4-5 hours. To me it feels pleasingly modern as an interpretation of vetiver, a little more 'reserved' or officey, not a dirty vetiver at all - it's soft yet clean, masculine, grey in fact. the warm, woodsy base makes me think of modern designer furniture, straight lines and smooth surfaces.
    Last edited by itsthepens; 30th June 2010 at 01:56 AM.

Lanvin Vetiver is very fresh and very non-floral to my nose

Paul Smith Story
    Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver Sport

And 2 with Floral notes that I don't find particularly floral:

Creed Original Vetiver
    Mugler Cologne

Both very fresh.

if you are looking for something that is similar to Encre Noir's green/earthy drydown but significantly fresher and slightly brighter, Grey Vetiver, Sel De Vetiver, and CDG's Vettiveru are all solid choices, as they are still based partly around the dirty earthy Vetiver root oil, instead of green leafy "aerial parts"-type Vetiver notes, like the previous 5 i 1st listed.

Hove Vetivert. I seem to be talking about it a lot today. Probably because it's summer, so I'm wearing it.

It's very fresh, thoroughly unisex, and guaranteed 100% floweryness free.

You can obtain a nice-sized bottle of it for $40 at Hove on Royal St in New Orleans. Or call them up and recite a credit card number and they will send you some. The number is somewhere on their charming, rustic website.

Full Disclosure: I do not work for or have any connection with Hove beyond that of lifelong loyal customer. However, should they wish to reward me with perfume, cash, or both, as a sort of honorarium, should an operative happen to see this post, I would graciously accept.
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Givenchy Vetyver has been flawless for me today.