Code of Conduct
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Question scent for summer - AdP colonia intensa close, but no cigar

so i'm in the market for a summer frag, and i thought i'd hit the jackpot when i finally got around to sampling adp's colonia intensa. the lemony opening is fantastic, and i adore the tingly cardamom (god i love cardamom). the heart is softer, clean (the myrtle?) and the base is fabulous, soft yet uplifting mingling notes of the benzoin and woods, touches of patchouli (but in a reserved, clean way) and something almost rose-like (is this the lignum vitae? apparently it's of the same family as guaic wood according to wikipedia).

BUT. but.

it sits too close to the skin for my liking (in hot weather, i like to know that my fragrance arrives before my sweaty body does!) and it doesn't really last as well as i'd like. admittedly, it behaves far more like an edt than a cologne, and i suppose i could just over-apply.

can anyone recommend anything VERY similar, but which will perform a little better?
    Last edited by itsthepens; 30th June 2010 at 02:56 AM.

Default Re: scent for summer - AdP colonia intensa close, but no cigar

I was fortunate to find some samples of Colonia Intensa on ebay. I'd describe it as being a
    citrus/leather fragrance. I find it decent, but I don't know if I'd announce it as my signature
    summer scent either. If you like the citrus/leather vibe, I'd strongly recommend Canali for Men or
    possibly Canali Summer Night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsthepens View Post
    it sits too close to the skin for my liking (in hot weather, i like to know that my fragrance arrives before my sweaty body does!) and it doesn't really last as well as i'd like. admittedly, it behaves far more like an edt than a cologne, and i suppose i could just over-apply.

can anyone recommend anything VERY similar, but which will perform a little better?
    Ugh. My experience with this one was it was gone before I got out of the house. Sorry I don't have an alternate suggestion, but had to comment cuz I'm still mad about that one. The last frag I bought that was the direct result of an SA pushing something on me.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th June 2010 at 03:22 AM.

And my experience was that the wood note was too strong. I'm wearing Everlast Original 1910 today, which I don't find to be a problem in hot weather, and I'm surprised at how good it is, relative to the cost (if you want a citrus leather with a fougere in the background). M; Men is a good one for this purpose too (used to be quite cheap, not sure now).

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

You sir need to try Habit Rouge by Guerlain. Find the vintage Eau de Cologne first, as it is IMO much better than 'new' EdT that's on shelves everywhere. Citrus, leather and vanilla. Sillage and longevity are superb.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point mikeperez. I was so pissed about AdP I was blinded.

itsthepens, check out Habit Rouge or Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier (a special EdP version).

I'm a big fan of the EdP- very, very good legs on me and my skin destroys lots of scents.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th June 2010 at 03:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried AdP Assoluta? It's the best of the bunch and sillage is superb. Surprised you never mentioned the prominent ginger in Intensa that pretty much tramples the leather note.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Post Thanks / Like

I own Intensa, and I too used to think it was gone way too quick. In fact, on my first sampling I didn't smell anything at all! Now it lasts a long time for me. But, I still don't see it as a summer scent, because the leather is so prominent on my skin, it works better for me in cooler months.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st July 2010 at 12:45 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite citrus scents!
    Try Paco XS Extreme, I think you will like it.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I own Intensa, and I too used to think it was gone way to quick. In fact, on my first sampling I didn't smell anything at all! Now it lasts a long time for me. But, I still don't see it as a summer scent, because the leather is so prominent on my skin, it works better for me in cooler months.
    This has been my experience as well. I don't get those who claim it is a great summer scent. It's a very woody, leathery citrus, and it lasts for a long time. I think people are overspraying this because at first it seems rather light; almost demure, even.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

I get virtually no citrus in Intensa. What I do get is a load of an aromachemical called amberwood forte. Intensa smells painfully synthetic to me. This is such a contrast to the other Colonia's.