Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Safe to Buy Cologne Online

Hi

I was thinking of purchasing some colognes over amazon, as a lot of the time the seem to have some real good deals. I've heard some people advise against picking up colognes and perfumes in those little cheap boutiques in malls and places at discounted prices, because supposedly they sell old colognes, which have deteriorated in some way. So I guess my question is, are those discounted bottles of cologne on amazon discounted because they're older, or are they of the same quality as a new bottle. Where do the more experienced here purchase colognes.

Default Re: Safe to Buy Cologne Online

I love cologne shopping on ebay. A great source for samples, minis, hard to find stuff. Also, usually the best prices IMO. I've also
    used other sites if they can undersell ebay stores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ive only ordered online once from Amazon and it was 100% real. just make sure you use AMAZON, not another merchant!

when buying fragrances online it is important to first decide what your going to buy. there are some fragrances that are just too often faked and as such its usually best to pay retail from a reputable dealer. always make sure the site your buying from is reputable by checking feedback for bad feedback due to fakes. myself personally there are some sites i wont order from for the simple fact that they dont package my order to my liking, for example: fragrance.net just shoves your frags in a big box with some crunched up paper to keep it from moving so much, no packing peanuts or bubble wrap= i wont order from them. there is also no way i will buy any fragrance off ebay either, just too easy to get hosed

There are many reputable Amazon Marketplace fragrance sellers. Buy through the Amazon site because it's backed by the Amazon guarantee. If you have problems, you can get it resolved, and vendors don't want bad ratings on Amazon. They will usu. go the distance to make a customer happy. Only on one occasion, I ordered an item and the company was out of stock--the item was listed as in stock. I waited a whole week before they e-mailed me they were out and not shipping. They did refund my charges in full, but nothing other than a weak apology--no offer of a discount on other merchandise...nothing. Needless to say, I do not order from them anymore.

Overall, the Amazon vendors are very good and reliable.
    Last edited by Primrose; 3rd July 2010 at 03:58 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

The colognes on Amazon (and other online stores without any capital investment) are discounted because the wholesale price of the fragrance has dropped. This usually happens after a fragrance has been out for a while or if it hasn't remained strong in sales. These stores that don't have to pay much in the way of capital can then turn that discount they get into a discount for the customer, which drives up their sales, ultimately increasing their profit margin.

I have purchased 3 colognes off of ebay all from different sellers, but at the same time. I was extremely disappointed to find out that ALL 3, yes all 3, were either fakes or old. Two had a strong alcohol smell at the top, didn't smell quite like the original, and didn't last very long at all. One of these bottles was also not original. The other had an extremely strong rotting lemon smell at the beginning and did not smell the same as the original. This is the trouble with ebay. People sell fakes with boxes that look exactly like the real thing and wrapped in plastic, and are very close to the real thing, but aren't. The seller on ebay may not even know he has a fake. And don't trust the ratings of sellers on ebay. All of the people I bought from had almost perfect satisfaction ratings and had sold 500+ fragrances in the last year. Many people out there either don't know what the original smells like, or don't question it as long as it smells similar. The problem with fakes is that they don't last nearly as long as the real thing, and also may contain chemicals in them that can be harmful if absorbed into the skin/ inhaled. If a deal is too good to be true, then 99% of the time it's a scam. Luckily I got my money back and only had to send 1 back to get the refund. It wasn't a bad lesson to learn for $5
    Also, I received an email from ebay saying that one of the people I purchased from had their account hijacked. This was after I had received my refund. I'm not sure if I was dealing with the actual dealer or not. But either way, you also have to watch out for that kind of stuff on ebay. A dealer could be reputable, but someone could be selling fakes through the reputable dealer's name without them knowing about it.
    I bought 2 fragrances off of amazon. One was from amazon itself and the other from a merchant. Both are legitimate. But again, buyer beware with merchants from amazon. Some merchants don't deal directly with the manufacturers, but instead purchase "overstock" items from various places in the world. Some (probably most) of these places are counterfeit fragrance factories.

My next purchase will be from one of the fragrance websites like parfum1.com or fragrancenet.com. I really hope this goes well.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right about ebay. Mostly, they are cheap but they are fake.
    I always buy from a store or online fragrance shop
    perfumerika.com and douglass.de my favorites

Quote Originally Posted by travcom View Post
    Hi

I was thinking of purchasing some colognes over amazon, as a lot of the time the seem to have some real good deals. I've heard some people advise against picking up colognes and perfumes in those little cheap boutiques in malls and places at discounted prices, because supposedly they sell old colognes, which have deteriorated in some way. So I guess my question is, are those discounted bottles of cologne on amazon discounted because they're older, or are they of the same quality as a new bottle. Where do the more experienced here purchase colognes.
    Hard to say - It's basically a crap shoot. Sometimes there are no problems but other times...