Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What do women think of Vetiver?

Sensual? Masculine? For "more mature" men????

Default Re: What do women think of Vetiver?

If you're cruising the nursing homes vetiver is the way to go.

I have three vetiver based scents at the moment, and my wife loves them all. They are Creed OV, Encre Noire and Givenchy Vetiver.

That said, she never really cared for Guerlain Vetiver. BTW, I'm 42 and she's 38.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 30th June 2010 at 11:11 AM.

I have had only positive experiences with vetiver based scents and females.

Women of any age seem to like Terre d'Hermès, for instance.

Vetiver has been featured in many recent releases that are not specifically aimed at the geriatric crowd.

They enjoy it themselves too in e.g. Habanita, where it plays a key role (together with the vanilla)...

Sur la Plage

Women seem to like it. Girls don't.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Well, granted, I'm older than dust, but like sandalwood, oud, rose or jasmine, vetiver is one of the most ancient scents, but it's also one of the most classic and timeless.

That said, I'm tempted to answer your question with more questions - "which woman?" "which vetiver?"
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

When I've worn Terre D' Hermes, I've gotten complimented by a female coworker (aged over 50). Other than that, I don't recall
    getting any compliments on my vetiver cologne. I personally like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, and nobody has said anything one way or the other. I really haven't even given Paul Smith Story a chance, since I get a feeling that women wouldn't really like it.

I can tolerate it in Terre D'Hermes Parfum. However, my first experience with a vetiver scent was a sample of Guerlain Vetiver and it made me feel like a spry 94 year old woman. Images of my great, great grandmother in her housecoat came to mind.

I would like to work my way into some other vetiver frags but I just cant bring myself to do it when I get to the counter.

You would find out more opinions posting on the woman's board.

my wife adore Vetiver Guerlain (she`s 30) and she wears it as often as I do.
    she prefer light green 2001 edition, while I prefer vintage cologne (C) 1967.
    (I`d would like to be corrected - Guerlain`s scent is not about vetiver oil, but based on some acetylated chemical)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

My girlfriend's thirty six and loves vetiver. She loves the pure essential oil and several vetiver fragrances.

Her favorite on me is Sycomore. Her daughter also loves it, and likes vetiver in general.

I spend time around a wide variety of females, and it's been my experience that women like vetiver a lot.

-- People with a strong mind-body connection tend to love vetiver. People comfortable with their sexuality do as well, seeing sex very much as pure vitality and energy. There's nothing delicate or ethereal about vetiver. It's very much about the here and now.

Ironically, many who initially believe they dislike it are often the ones who can benefit from it most. It's the perfect oil for anyone who has lost touch with something.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th June 2010 at 01:34 PM.

My girl friend has a very sophisticated nose and has her own excellent collection of fragrance and she likes vetiver quite a bit but specifically she likes: Encre Noir or Le Labo Vetiver 46. When we travel she almost always requests that I bring Le Labo Vetiver 46 with me so she can share it. I have worn many vetivers and she always says they are nice, but these two get almost all the comments.

This thread prompted me to wear Givenchy Vetiver this AM. My wife was very complimentary of it when I rollled out the door for work! She totally loved it. 6 BIG sprays, though. Also, there is a note coming out of it that weirdly enough reminds me of John Varvatos (original)?! Hummm...

I think it's one of those notes where if you say "smell my wrist, what do you think?"...you might not get a swooning reaction. But if you just wear it and don't ask questions, it gives you a very grounded, solid masculine presence, which is always a sexy thing.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

I love vetiver and I'm not that ancient ,guys !*LOL*
    Guerlain's Vetiver and Derby . One of the best smells on a man and also on women .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Jacques Guerlain once said there were four noble essences.

Jasmine
    Tuberose
    Sandalwood
    Vetiver
    Last edited by pluran; 30th June 2010 at 03:39 PM.

I love a good vetiver! Sycomore and Terre d'Hermes are my favorites on my fiancé - both are sophisticated and super-sexy. I think Sycomore is especially elegant but he seems to prefer Td'H for everyday. And we've also been enjoying the gorgeous Encre Noir lately - I want more of that one. He really likes the more herbal, casual vetiver of Gurerlain's Vetiver, but I think that one's a bit raw, and too bitter somehow. Very nice, just not a favorite.

eta - my vetiver-loving fiancé recently turned 40.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 30th June 2010 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ... It's the perfect oil for anyone who has lost touch with something.[/FONT]
    Wow. Just Wow. This is the most profound thing I've read in a while. It really should be embroidered on something.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Jacques Guerlain once said there were four noble essences.

Jasmine
    Tuberose
    Sandalwood
    Vetiver
    Well, I'd add oud and rose, but that explains why there are so many Guerlain bottles on my shelf.

I had no idea he was a fragrance barbarian like me! I believe I shall begin to put on airs now!

Quote Originally Posted by cathodera View Post
    Well, granted, I'm older than dust, but like sandalwood, oud, rose or jasmine, vetiver is one of the most ancient scents, but it's also one of the most classic and timeless.

That said, I'm tempted to answer your question with more questions - "which woman?" "which vetiver?"
    I don't have a good answer for you since my comment was mostly designed to elicit a laugh. I like vetiver too, but at 30 (a young 30) I can't really rock it.

Maybe you simply haven't found one you favor, vulcan - vetiver comes in many different tones and you shouldn't write them all off, especially if you like it! At any rate, I highly doubt it's simply an age thing - I have a 21 yr. old nephew who wears nothing but Terre d'Hermes (a gift from his favorite Aunt!) and it suits him perfectly.

A funny thing about that comment...a couple of years ago I was testing my vintage bottle of Guerlain Vetiver by wearing it to work. I was going to clock in and was walking with a girl I worked with. We got to the punchclock and she wrinkled her nose and said "eew. Something smells like a nursing home. It smells like green beans." I got really self conscious and asked her if it was my cologne. It wasn't, we were just in the proximity of the employee cafeteria, so I think she was smelling some food aroma mixed with a nearby cart of dirty linens. Still, it scared me for a second.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 30th June 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo

My girlfriend hate it, which is unfortunate as I love it. She calls it "soapy" and I can't get her to shake the connection with a soap her grandmother used to make. Guerlain Vetiver is the most contested but Grey Vetiver, Encre Noire, Sycomore, and Vettiveru have all met with disapproval.

She does like Terre d'Hermes, a fragrance i've been complimented on many times. However, I don't consider it to be a vetiver-prominant scent but rather a scent with a vetiver note.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Maybe you simply haven't found one you favor, vulcan - vetiver comes in many different tones and you shouldn't write them all off, especially if you like it! At any rate, I highly doubt it's simply an age thing - I have a 21 yr. old nephew who wears nothing but Terre d'Hermes (a gift from his favorite Aunt!) and it suits him perfectly.
    I haven't written them off, I just haven't found one I'm comfortable with. I'm also becoming addicted to gourmandish orientals like Code and L'instant. I like Mugler Cologne--a soft and feminine floral soap. Unfortunately it is very cloying on me. But I'd totally wear a vetiver if I found just the right one.

This woman loves vetiver. It's my favorite note - on myself as well as on others. To me it would smell great on you no matter what; whether you were sensual or numb, masculine or feminine, mature or immature. It's the best.

Vetiver has a very grounding effect... very earthy.

I don't have a good answer for you since my comment was mostly designed to elicit a laugh. I like vetiver too, but at 30 (a young 30) I can't really rock it.
    Well, it made me laugh.

Maybe you just haven't found the vetiver that rocks you yet.

This thread actually made me think of the other one going now, about ethnicity, which in the context of fragrance preference, I define mostly as "culture."

In some parts of the world, men waaay younger than 30 use the straight essential oil as their everyday fragrance of choice, but someone with a different perspective might suggest that you try compound scents that have a subtler, softer vetiver note.

Personally, I've been a Hove Vetivert hardliner since pre-adolescence.

It's totally unisex, though the pink box might not be a good cultural fit for some frailer gentlemen who cling to those droll gender-color associations found in some of the "quaint" earth resident subsets.

I think this statement is mocking and offensive.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by tracerbullet View Post
    Sensual? Masculine? For "more mature" men????
    It can be all of the above or none of the above. More than anything it's at the very least manly and a fairly "serious" scent.
    If you like it, wear it and see what happens.

If you're a young guy whose only interest in fragrance is attracting women, there are probably better options.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th June 2010 at 09:46 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Oh yes, Encre Noire is wonderful too- much better than the fmeale verison IMHO.
    Vetiver- for the woman with discerning taste. It's the difference between appreciating a good bottle of red wine as opposed to diggin' Dr. Pepper or Michelob........
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 30th June 2010 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    It's the difference between appreciating a good bottle of red wine as opposed to diggin' Dr. Pepper or Michelob........
    Perfectly put, but may or may not be appreciated.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 30th June 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Well I'm 27, my girfriend is 20.
    When I was wearing Vetiver Extraordinaire for the first time she sad that this is the most sexy fragrance ever.
    We went out, next morning she smell my neck and wondering how come that she can steel smell the scent.
    I really love Vetiver extraordinaire, I don't find it smell for the older men

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Perfectly put, but may or may not be appreciated.
    No offense meant- just my opinion, that's all.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 30th June 2010 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I think this statement is mocking and offensive.
    I'm sure you do.

Quote Originally Posted by cathodera View Post
    Well, it made me laugh.

Maybe you just haven't found the vetiver that rocks you yet.

This thread actually made me think of the other one going now, about ethnicity, which in the context of fragrance preference, I define mostly as "culture."

In some parts of the world, men waaay younger than 30 use the straight essential oil as their everyday fragrance of choice, but someone with a different perspective might suggest that you try compound scents that have a subtler, softer vetiver note.

Personally, I've been a Hove Vetivert hardliner since pre-adolescence.

It's totally unisex, though the pink box might not be a good cultural fit for some frailer gentlemen who cling to those droll gender-color associations found in some of the "quaint" earth resident subsets.
    I agree. There are actually some classic scents like Paco Rabanne PH that I love, but I feel weird wearing them. In a few years, I'll probably wear them with confidence. Culture has a lot to do with what we tend to be comfortable with or find normal. In a different time, a guy my age would wear that stuff easily.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Good distinction, petruccijc. Very young women/girls (teens and college age) seem to prefer the aquatics they peddle in clothing stores or on department store shelves. They like what is hip for themselves and also on men their own age.

Older women seem to prefer the more unique scents on men.

The scent of, for instance, Derby on a man will elicit a loud, "Eeew!" from a young, unsophisticated women. (Keep in mind there are many young men and women who are indeed trying more unique and traditional scents and not the candied or aquatic stuff they peddle to the young.)

There is also Vertiver Pour Elle by Guerlain, which is made for women, and also Habanita--both mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th June 2010 at 11:17 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by limaaa View Post
    Well I'm 27, my girfriend is 20.
    High five!!!

I agree. There are actually some classic scents like Paco Rabanne PH that I love, but I feel weird wearing them. In a few years, I'll probably wear them with confidence. Culture has a lot to do with what we tend to be comfortable with or find normal. In a different time, a guy my age would wear that stuff easily.
    In another time period, a man of fashion--a chick magnet--would wear eau de jasmine.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    That is such a great line! I have used a version of that line recently to get out of trouble. lol

I'm sure you do.
    We know you friend.

Honestly I think it has more to do with the scent than the vetiver. I find it hard to believe anyone claiming Sel de Vetiver smells "old", the same could be said for Gray Vetiver or a number of other vetivers. It's just a note, and IMO, it matters far more about the composition it's in rather than it by itself.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st July 2010 at 02:32 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

It's the difference between appreciating a good bottle of red wine as opposed to diggin' Dr. Pepper or Michelob........
    Hey now! Leave my Dr. Pepper out of this!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

The ones I've asked liked vetiver scents. See: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...all-experiment

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It can be all of the above or none of the above. More than anything it's at the very least manly and a fairly "serious" scent.
    If you like it, wear it and see what happens.

If you're a young guy whose only interest in fragrance is attracting women, there are probably better options.
    i agree with you, i have smelled a good number of vetivers,tom ford's, guerlain's, creed original vetiver and the classic vetiver. to be honest the 1948 creed vetiver is the only vetiver i have ever smelled that i ever cared for and i love it.

A young 20-25 year old woman loved my Original Vetiver (Creed). She loved to cuddle so much that she couldn't sleep when I wore it. Closest thing to an aphrodisiac-reaction I've ever experienced. But I don't think it was the vetiver. I really think it was the sandalwood (possibly genuine Mysore). I have my reasons.

My fiancee (22y.o.) loves vetiver. In fact she was wearing some of my Grey Vetiver decant yesterday, and it smelled amazing on her, so much so that she says that her sister (24 y.o.) complimented her on her perfume while she was wearing it.

My fiancee has also worn my Givenchy vetyver, and also loves me in it.

So apparently young women can enjoy vetivers.

We know you friend.
    I'm not your friend.

I'm not your friend.
    I've read plenty of your mocking and rude posts. I've read your derisive language and dukes-up opinions. So you've used the Internet to learn snide and malicious methods.

No body likes to read such. All the readers here see it and know what it is.

Basenotes Plus

I've read plenty of your mocking and rude posts. I've read your derisive language and dukes-up opinions. So you've used the Internet to learn snide and malicious methods.

+1. Couldn't agree more.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 1st July 2010 at 09:11 AM.

Younger women seem to like it, but not quite enjoy it- so far, most of the younger age groups tended to prefer something more aquatic, airy or casual far more than vetiver frags

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Younger women seem to like it, but not quite enjoy it- so far, most of the younger age groups tended to prefer something more aquatic, airy or casual far more than vetiver frags
    i agree, when you go to the vetivers, and the heavy masculine colognes most young girls cannot appreciate them.

Hmmm....

Seems a bit like a US/ Canada thing going on here..

A bit like us English and the French... or Germans... or Welsh... or Scottish...

If you can't do dry/ black/ ironic humour you shouldn't be on a forum that uses English as its language of choice.

Breakaway colonies, sheesh. Think they have some kind of moral right...

It's the difference between appreciating a good bottle of red wine as opposed to diggin' Dr. Pepper or Michelob........[/I][/B]
    I dislike wine of most types, except for the ones that are similar to lemonade (e.g. Asti Riccadonna).
    But I sometimes have dreams of the last time I had that wonderful stuff Dr.Pepper - it was in Prague in 2007 when I finally came across a bottle, the first since they discontinued it in Australia many years before.
    Ahhh - that was heaven.

What's Michelob?
    Regards,
    Renato

To me, most women don't seem to react much to Vetiver.

If there is any slight reaction, it's more to the rawer type scents like the Etro or Lorenzo Villoresi ones, than the more toned down, smoother ones the designers put out.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    What's Michelob?
    Typical watered down mass market American beer. I'd say it's the beer equivalent of Armani fragrance. Smooth, decent for guys who've recently moved up from Axe/Lynx (Bud Light, etc.).

(microbrew snob here)
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 1st July 2010 at 09:45 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Get a sense of humor. I really don't care if I offend you with my opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post
    Hmmm....

Seems a bit like a US/ Canada thing going on here..

A bit like us English and the French... or Germans... or Welsh... or Scottish...

If you can't do dry/ black/ ironic humour you shouldn't be on a forum that uses English as its language of choice.

Breakaway colonies, sheesh. Think they have some kind of moral right...
    Excuse me, I don't see what Canada and USA have to do with anything here.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Get a sense of humor. I really don't care if I offend you with my opinions.
    Get a sense of maturity. You are not funny. You are rude and obnoxious. I get a kick outta you. You say you are young ? I'm a heckuva lot younger than you. You just act young. Frankly, I'm surprised you are 30. You certainly are a young 30 ( as you yourself say).

Love Armani Code and Cool Water all you want. But it is your rudeness and hypocrisy that is striking. It is interesting that you cannot "take it", but want to "dish it". I've seen you whine and whine about Armani Code and how all people should love it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Get a sense of maturity. You are not funny. You are rude and obnoxious. I get a kick outta you. You say you are young ? I'm a heckuva lot younger than you. You just act young. Frankly, I'm surprised you are 30. You certainly are a young 30 ( as you yourself say).

Love Armani Code and Cool Water all you want. But it is your rudeness and hypocrisy that is striking. It is interesting that you cannot "take it", but want to "dish it". I've seen you whine and whine about Armani Code and how all people should love it.
    Well, you can imagine how much your opinions mean to me. There are a number of people here who have a problem with me, and I couldn't care less. Does this forum have an ignore feature? If so, you should consider using it.

Stop being such little sissies. If there's something about my personality that aggravates some insecurity you have, that's your problem. Stop making it mine, and stop responding to my posts.

(By the way, that thing about me whining about Armani Code? I've never done that. Really. Get a life.)

Ah... Vulcan, what a "sensitive" comment. (not that there's anything wrong with less-than-sensitive comments, it certainly opened the thread to lively discourse.)

As a 54 year old woman who LOVES vetiver, I guess the point has been made. Vetiver may indeed be a scent for the mature nose. I believe that as a perfume ingredient, there's a versatility to vetiver that is unique. It can smell grassy, earthy, green, rooty, smoky, dark, sensual... depending upon the variety of vetiver, the quality, and the way the perfumer uses it. So... from that point of view, I LOVE vetiver. So... if fruity, airy, ozoney, citrusy, light are "youthful" I guess earthy, rooty, smoky, dark and sensual can be "mature"...

Quite a few of the (as I perceive them) shallow designer scents could do with a little deepening via vetiver, in my opinion.

Did I mention I LOVE vetiver? I'm so old I may have forgotten to do that.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!