Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What do women think of Vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Get a sense of humor. I really don't care if I offend you with my opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Well, you can imagine how much your opinions mean to me. There are a number of people here who have a problem with me, and I couldn't care less. Does this forum have an ignore feature? If so, you should consider using it.

Stop being such little sissies. If there's something about my personality that aggravates some insecurity you have, that's your problem. Stop making it mine, and stop responding to my posts.

(By the way, that thing about me whining about Armani Code? I've never done that. Really. Get a life.)
    Calling names and saying you're going to keep on being rude. We read you clearly. Ask yourself what being immature and being abusive really does for you.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I see an end to this thread... and soon. (and end before it becomes mature enough to appreciate vetiver, if you get my drift.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I see an end to this thread... and soon. (and end before it becomes mature enough to appreciate vetiver, if you get my drift.)
    I'll do my part. This will be the last post I make in this thread. I'm letting it go. There are some comments that don't deserve a response, and I've already made the mistake of responding to a few of them.

Basenotes Institution

Too true.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Typical watered down mass market American beer. I'd say it's the beer equivalent of Armani fragrance. Smooth, decent for guys who've recently moved up from Axe/Lynx (Bud Light, etc.).

(microbrew snob here)
    Thanks for that.
    I'm not much of a beer drinker either, but I did have a Budweiser about 5 years ago. I thought it was extremely light - which I quite liked. It surprises me that from your post there is something even lighter.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 3rd July 2010 at 05:12 PM.

I personally love most vetiver scents. However if I were to go back and think about any comments (good or bad) made by women on any vetiver scent that I wore, I can't remember any.

I don't think vetiver is a note that smells exotic or anything to elicit a good response from women. However, as mentioned before I've never even got a dismissal for wearing it either.

Vetiver Extraordinaire is—how shall I say?—extraordinary.

^^^^I just sampled that and it is.

A good vetiver is worn for oneself, if "women like it," great.

There is a wide variety of interpretations. One should not rule them out.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Chanel No.19 EDT has quite a prominent vetiver note. I hear it's one of the bestsellers, or have the men been buying them since 1971? Anyway, I can't blame the girls for not showing more love for vetiver. You can't possibly love what you do not yet know.

And I must agree with pluran. Vetiver is one of the most calming and grounding notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Thanks for that.
    I'm not much of a beer drinker either, but I did have a Budweiser about 5 years ago. I thought it was extremely light - which I quite liked. It surprises me that from your post there is something even lighter.
    Renato
    Renato
    To continue our random beer discussion in the middle of a vetiver thread (sorry, all)...

I wouldn't say it's lighter than Bud, Coors, etc. It's almost the same thing, actually. You'd have to concentrate to tell a difference. I guess it's just marketed as a classier alternative, and it might have a slightly richer flavor.

PS I love vetiver! About to sample Goutal, Sycomore, Givenchy, and Sel de Vetiver!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 2nd July 2010 at 02:29 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

Gotta sample Derby - the re-issue. On me, the vetiver is very prominent. It does smell better on my husband . There's a bit of Sous Le Vent in there too. When my husband wears Derby and I wear Sous Le vent - it smells wonderful . They complement each other very well. All that Guerlain haze wafting around.

Original Vetiver (though I must admit, has only a small amount of vetiver in it) is the frag that has given me, probably my most random and positive response thus far. For some unknown reason, there were a group of girls (there could have been guys too, but I didn't notice ) outside in the quad at my university one day giving "free hugs" (?). Well, they stopped me, even though I was trying to avoid them (I'm not so good at the awkward social interactions) and tried to give me a free hug, to which I sheepishly (and in a rush I might add!) obliged. When I left I over heard the girl say to another girl "He was really polite, and he smelled amazing too!". Yea, that made my day.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Well, this sort of thing is helpful to new folks like me, as it's possible to learn from most any example be it bad or good. It's possible ... that doesn't mean that it always happens. In this case, in my case, it has been helpful. Because, perhaps, of the somewhat technical language (which is necessary to be properly understand), I've been reluctant to ask some things because I couldn't seem to quite fit them into that model. This has shown me that if this is not so off the wall as to get a thread zapped, then I had a wide safety margin. (And no, I wasn't going to be rude in the least, but maybe a bit whimsical which the sensitive sometimes parse as rude.) It's my nature. The rowdiest I get is far short of this thread. No, no, it's a good thing, this example, it establishes discernable boundaries. I hear all the cool cultures have mechanisms to do just that. This are one of them. ;-)
    Last edited by bhurley; 3rd July 2010 at 02:44 AM.

I'm older than the hills but younger than dirt (that's 39 to you) and have always loved vetiver. My husband has two shelves dedicated to vetiver as he finds these scents easy to wear in almost any situation. He tends to wear Vetiver Extraordinaire for important work meetings, the Guerlains (new and vintage) for casual outings and the other ones on a "feel like" basis. I think that Vetiver Oriental is the sexiest, but I'm a known Lutens freak.

I wear all of his vetivers except for Sycomore (love it, but it rarely loves me back) and usually get enthisiastic compliments on them from friends and strangers alike. Vetiver Extraordinare especially makes people take notice and I've written down the name and sent several people to Barneys for their very own bottle.

I really don't know why age is so important but that may be just another sign of my out of touchness. I have readers who are young enough to be my children and others who are my parents' age. They all love fragrance and that's the only thing that counts. As far as I'm concerned, almost every fragrance group has good and bad examples and I always love smelling perfume on other people with the exception of fresh aquatics. Calone note makes my stomach turn.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    To continue our random beer discussion in the middle of a vetiver thread (sorry, all)...

I wouldn't say it's lighter than Bud, Coors, etc. It's almost the same thing, actually. You'd have to concentrate to tell a difference. I guess it's just marketed as a classier alternative, and it might have a slightly richer flavor.

PS I love vetiver! About to sample Goutal, Sycomore, Givenchy, and Sel de Vetiver!
    Thanks for the explanation. Beers are heavier than Buweiser in Australia, but on the rare occasion I drink one I go for the lighest Lager I can find, providing it's not a watery, low alcohoL, near flavourless "Light" beer.

Sel de Vetiver is really interesting. Goutal's one I've never come across even though I've looked for it a lot.

My other favourite, which most people detest around here, is Azzaro Pure Vetiver - sort of like a vetiver version of Chrome.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by bhurley View Post
    Well, this sort of thing is helpful to new folks like me, as it's possible to learn from most any example be it bad or good. It's possible ... that doesn't mean that it always happens. In this case, in my case, it has been helpful. Because, perhaps, of the somewhat technical language (which is necessary to be properly understand), I've been reluctant to ask some things because I couldn't seem to quite fit them into that model. This has shown me that if this is not so off the wall as to get a thread zapped, then I had a wide safety margin. (And no, I wasn't going to be rude in the least, but maybe a bit whimsical which the sensitive sometimes parse as rude.) It's my nature. The rowdiest I get is far short of this thread. No, no, it's a good thing, this example, it establishes discernable boundaries. I hear all the cool cultures have mechanisms to do just that. This are one of them. ;-)
    The "rowdy ones" backed off, thankfully, as I did not want to see this thread get locked. I approach remarks that are out of the accepted social constructs as openings for further discussion, unless they're just "trolling"... in which case they either get ignored or receive a little "smackdown" before the thread gets locked. I can only take offense by choice, and most times I choose not.

And did I mention how much I love vetiver?

(I actually have a few vetiver plants growing in my garden... not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I am going to have a look at the grass and roots and see if there's any way to extract from such a small amount something that might yield scent ingredients. Probably not from such a small number of plants.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

The "rowdy ones" backed off, thankfully, as I did not want to see this thread get locked. I approach remarks that are out of the accepted social constructs as openings for further discussion, unless they're just "trolling"... in which case they either get ignored or receive a little "smackdown" before the thread gets locked. I can only take offense by choice, and most times I choose not.
    I like that style of moderation, especially since it can be so hard to determine the intentions of the writer. I tend to overuse "smilies". I don't really like them, but smilies are much better than having something I intended as dry wit interpreted as malice.

And did I mention how much I love vetiver?

(I actually have a few vetiver plants growing in my garden... not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I am going to have a look at the grass and roots and see if there's any way to extract from such a small amount something that might yield scent ingredients. Probably not from such a small number of plants.)
    I'd be interested in growing some, we have all sorts of nooks and crannies in the yard and garden that need to be populated with something other than crabgrass. Now, the gardener's deluge of questions - can you seed it directly, or did you buy plants? Is there an online or mail order source? What type of growing season and temperature extremes does it tolerate? Wikipedia has a very interesting entry for vetiver, but web searches seem to dominated by perfumes and colognes. Imagine that!

Here's where I bought my plants:

(I'm thinking they are meant for soil-holding as the varieties here are not meant for reproduction... you'll have to read)

Vetiver-Plants-6-Plant-Trial

They may or may not do well in my soil, but so far they haven't died and are growing. I wanted to test them in clay soil to see just how far down the roots grow. They might make a neat ornamental grass "with benefits" if I can figure out how to extract from them... and as I eventually plan to live in an area where I can grow a large number of plants, one never knows! (they are more tropical but somewhat resistant to frost... the key would be getting them through the winter here. Which I will test.)

Well, shucks, it's too cold here some winters (southwest VA), but it would otherwise thrive from the information in the link. I have a creekbank I believe that plant would improve - and the vetiver would certainly be better than the Japanese knotweed that's taken over as the vetiver roots go much deeper (they appear to be stronger than knotweed roots, too). Thank you for taking time to find the link for me, I appreciate that even though the plant won't work for me. I'd certainly like to find something that can choke out that hateful knotweed and still help hold the bank, and it was an aromatic or otherwise useful plant that would be even better.

Now ... back to vetiver. I'll have to order some decants of vetiver scents as I think I might like it.
    Last edited by bhurley; 4th July 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Suggestions: Sycomore... Terre d'Hermes... Guerlain Vetiver...

The first is smoky and unisex... the second is smoky after a citrus start... the third is one of my favorites. I haven't tried, is it Vetiver Extraordinaire?... but hear that it is.

And after having read the vetiver page at the link I sent you again, I am definitely going to harvest some of the vetiver roots for "sachets" this fall, as I am not (yet) set up to do any steam distillation. (will probably pot one or two of the others up and try to get the remaining plants to overwinter.)

Vetiver Extraordinaire is very, very nice if you like vetiver scents.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My husband has a bottle of Provence Santé Vetyver, which I never see mentioned on BN. I don't know if it is very true to the smell of vetiver, but I do like it-- more than my husband does. He finds it too green, I think.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the non blonde View Post
    I'm older than the hills but younger than dirt (that's 39 to you)....... I really don't know why age is so important but that may be just another sign of my out of touchness.
    I do love that quote Non Blonde/ G ! That's my age exactly and how I feel !
    I think I must try the F Malle vetiver ... it sounds very tempting and Sycomore. Terre d'Hermes is wonderful .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 4th July 2010 at 04:38 PM.

classic vetiver is like the mens shirt that a girl likes to steal.

Vetiver is in nearly every scent that I wear, where it seems to be a classic base note. I have never worn a pure vetiver.

Women, if they are the model of a lady, enjoy the things that other women of their age enjoy. Whenever vetiver was popular, that is the age group of women that will like it.

Marylin Monroe seemed not to mind it lol.

[snip]
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 11th July 2010 at 07:18 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

[double posted] Asked a question re: vetiver plants, then answered it by reading the rest of the thread Hate when I do that.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 11th July 2010 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spritz View Post
    Vetiver Extraordinaire is—how shall I say?—extraordinary.
    Yes, it is.