Code of Conduct

Default L'Instant De Guerlain EDT: A Review

Well my L'Instant EDT arrived this morning and the first thing I did was put some on. Now this is a somewhat complex frag, but I want to share my thoughts and hopefully get some feedback on my analysis.

I must say that the first hour was not as nice as I hoped, but what followed more than made up for it. It opened with a strong spice and woods combo--stronger than I expected and very traditional smelling. I didn't get much if any green/citrus in that first hour. It reminded me of an antique shop. Very woody/spicy.

After the first hour, the woods and spice softened and it became sweet. It also became interesting. I don't detect much patchouli or anise, but the cedar was very apparent and lasted the whole way through the dry-down. After the first hour, this scent is almost a combo of a better crafted Givenchy Pi with some Gucci by Gucci PH cedar underneath.

It develops a very soft and powdery sweetness, with a hint of coco. I don't think it ever turns into vanilla, but it is a nice generic sweet smell. The best way I can describe this is that it is a light, soft gourmand with an old-world cedar mixed in. I really don't understand the comparisons made to Givenchy VI--not similar at all.

There is a classic, old-world smell that is largely due to the nice cedar. It smells classic, but not "old". I like to think of this frag as a modern take on a masculine barbershop frag. Or perhaps barbershop for the 30 year old single guy. I would not have worn this in high school; but at 30 this might become my signature fragrance.

It smells wonderful, but I don't understand why some people say its almost unisex. I think my Armani Code is much closer to unisex than this is. The cedar just makes it too masculine to be unisex, at least to my nose. It does have a nice feminine quality, which becomes more apparent after three hours on my skin.

I was surprised by how woody and spicy it is. It may be gourmandish, but it is equally a cedar smell. Does anyone else get this? It smells like someone mixed a nice light gourmand base with some cedar.

Final verdict: Beautiful! I really like this. My Armani Code might get a little dusty on the shelf. God this is divine juice.

StylinLA, a very big thank you for insisting that I try this! You read me like a book (get out of my head.) This is everything I wanted and more.

I would appreciate feedback, guys and gals. Especially on why I'm not detecting anise or patchouli, and whether you get a lot of cedar.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: L'Instant De Guerlain EDT: A Review

Sometimes I get a gut feeling. It seemed like a fit for your sensibilities. Glad you like it.

I wish it was a tad stronger for my tastes, but it's a fave of mine that impresses me all the time. I think it is highly underrated, especially by some of the younger guys who like frags a bit louder.

I finally got the EdP version and I'm still getting to know it. More coco for sure, but it seems right now to wear lighter on me than the EdT.

I just got a decant sample of the EDP too and I'll be trying it out for comparison sake.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I never really gave much skin time to the EdT as it was total love-at-first-sniff for me with the EdP. Although I must admit I only wear it in Fall/Winter.

I would love to own the shower gel.

Everyone detects things differently vulcan - could be different noses, skin chemistry, climate, nose fatigue, anosmia to certain notes, etc. I wouldn't worry about the notes you can't detect but just keep wearing it and it will reveal itself to you over time.

Welcome to the Guerlain Fan Club.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting scent- I can't really dissect it. With some of the frags I love the most, I get totally lost in the notes and I like it. Versace L'Homme does that to me too. (The shower gel is nice mike.)

To me, it's a very comforting scent. It has a classic masculinity that is very reassuring.

I agree with your review. I also dont like top notes much because they smell kinda strange to me, but drydown is very comfortable with woods and cocoa. I also wouldnt recommend it for young crowd but rather for 30+ in semi formal setting.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I agree with your review. I also dont like top notes much because they smell kinda strange to me, but drydown is very comfortable with woods and cocoa. I also wouldnt recommend it for young crowd but rather for 30+ in semi formal setting.
    As soon as it hit the drydown I immediately understood why so many people enjoy this one. I've never had a cologne that gave me such a sense of comfort. This is the kind of frag that I can wear at home and enjoy selfishly by myself.

I'm looking forward to wearing this at Christmas when I visit my family. I'm sure it will feel great during the holidays.

I'm already thinking that I should test some of Gurelain's other frags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I first tried L'Instant de Guerlain I thought...Oh ya! I like this and have two bottles in my wardrobe now.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    When I first tried L'Instant de Guerlain I thought...Oh ya! I like this and have two bottles in my wardrobe now.
    It was love at first sniff for me. (At least after the first hour.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    I'm already thinking that I should test some of Gurelain's other frags.
    Their stuff is a tad more subtle. It took me quite awhile to embrace them.

They know what they are doing and they are very, very good at it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 2nd July 2010 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Their stuff is a tad more subtle. It took me quite awhile to embrace them.

They know what they are doing and they are very, very good at it.
    I'm already quite impressed by this house. After wearing L'instant I'm starting to feel like I was getting ripped off with most of the regular mall frags I used to wear. Except for Safari--I could never say a bad thing about Safari.

Does anyone get a similarity between L'instant and London? Or am I just crazy?

Post Thanks / Like

The Shower Gel is Incredible by the way.....I use about 1 drop of it every week or so....it is sooooo good that I don't want to use it! Kind of a special occasion type of shower gel...is that weird?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    is that weird?
    No. Considering what they charge for it, not weird at all. Does the smell of the gel last on your skin? If so, I might get some.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like L' Instant Pour Homme vulcan then it seems almost natural that you should try L' Instant Pour Homme Extreme. Or Cologne du 68. Both of them are in the same 'style' as the EdT. The EdP is richer, deeper, more gourmand. The 68 is lighter, sheerer, brighter.

I have been scouring Ebay for the the L'Instant shower gel for quite a while now, and never found any. I currently own the Vetiver and Habit Rouge shower (both vintage), but my next acquisition will definitely be the L' I. Anyone know who has it, besides the luxury retailers or the Guerlain boutique?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    If you like L' Instant Pour Homme vulcan then it seems almost natural that you should try L' Instant Pour Homme Extreme. Or Cologne du 68. Both of them are in the same 'style' as the EdT. The EdP is richer, deeper, more gourmand. The 68 is lighter, sheerer, brighter.

I have been scouring Ebay for the the L'Instant shower gel for quite a while now, and never found any. I currently own the Vetiver and Habit Rouge shower (both vintage), but my next acquisition will definitely be the L' I. Anyone know who has it, besides the luxury retailers or the Guerlain boutique?
    Here you go!

http://eperfumes.ca/home.php?cat=6510

I have a sample of the EDP. It's very nice, but I think the EDT is more my pace. I'll look into the Cologne du 68.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing. L'Instant is a fine scent but I run into a problem with the cocoa note. On my skin 'cocoa' turns into 'chocolate milk'. It's probably just a distorted perception but I've been suffering from this since I tried A*Men...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks vulcan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    No. Considering what they charge for it, not weird at all. Does the smell of the gel last on your skin? If so, I might get some.
    I don't have a very sensitive nose, so I'm not the best judge. But for me, I think it helps "extend" the scent, especially since I'll also use it to shampoo.

Whatever it does or doesn't do, it is a delight to use when you're going to wearing L'Instant. Wish they made it as a bar soap as with HR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Wish they made it as a bar soap as with HR.
    It might be a good idea to stock up on the soap if you like it enough to repurchase. It seems like Guerlain has stopped producing it, it's gone from the product page on guerlain.com...

Post Thanks / Like

i love this fragrance <3
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

I also bought a sample of the EDP. I was planning to do a separate review of it since some people regard it as quite different, but I find it to be exactly the same fragrance, only stronger. To me, the higher concentration of the EDP ruins what was so well accomplished in the EDT--balance and maturity. I would still wear the EDP since it smells great just like the EDT, but its higher concentration makes it a bit harsh for me. That's all I have to say on the difference between them.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the EDT average in every way, in fact it sort of bores me, while simultaneously annoying me. I just find the citrus/gourmand elements such an unnatural contrast that it doesn't sit well with me, sort of like Hanae Mori. But the EDP is so rich and decadent. One of the absolute best gourmands IMO.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    It might be a good idea to stock up on the soap if you like it enough to repurchase. It seems like Guerlain has stopped producing it, it's gone from the product page on guerlain.com...
    Oh wow...I will definitely get some soon then. Thanks tott.

Post Thanks / Like

The edt needs more oomph. After the topnotes burn off, it can barely be detected.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    The edt needs more oomph. After the topnotes burn off, it can barely be detected.
    Maybe I'm blessed with good body chemistry because even with one spray to the neck I get all-day longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got this back in a swap. My wife really likes it on me. And on my skin, it both projects and lasts. Trouble is, I don't think I can wear it in this 90 degree heat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I find the EDT average in every way, in fact it sort of bores me, while simultaneously annoying me. I just find the citrus/gourmand elements such an unnatural contrast that it doesn't sit well with me, sort of like Hanae Mori.
    I agree with your assessment of the EdT, and never tried the EdP because I suspected that it would be too similar.

However, I'm beginning to see the light - these different concentrations of "the same" scents can be wildly different...NR for Him vs. Musc Oil; Habit Rouge Edt vs. EdP vs. EdC; I'm sure L'Instant is no different. I'll be sure to check it out.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I also agree with mtgprox05. My view: The combination of "cold and warm energies" (Guerlain's own words) is in the Eau de Parfum (additionally labelled "Extrême") version a beautiful coalescence. It has big notes of delicious anise, cocoa, jasmine and sandalwood that do miracles by really filling out the space above the patchouli, and there is something solemn and lofty and slightly decadent about this perfume, like some manly Samsara, something at once very modern and very Art Deco. In comparison, the EdT smells like neither-nor, an unfulfilled juxtaposition of lemon and patchouli that kind of breaks in the middle as at once too acidulous and too earthy, lacking the Guerlain stamp: A gourmand centre of gravity.

Post Thanks / Like

There are also two really nice flankers in the l'Instant Pour Homme line: Cristeaux d'Agrumes and d'Un Ete. Both are lighter, citrus-focused "variations on a theme" that rely on the same core wood/patchoulli base as the original. Fantastic for summer wear - too bad they are both limited editions...

Teddius

Post Thanks / Like

Fairly synthetic feeling (10% Polysantol) compared to most Guerlains, but a quality fragrance nonetheless.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th July 2010 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I agree with your assessment of the EdT, and never tried the EdP because I suspected that it would be too similar.

However, I'm beginning to see the light - these different concentrations of "the same" scents can be wildly different...NR for Him vs. Musc Oil; Habit Rouge Edt vs. EdP vs. EdC; I'm sure L'Instant is no different. I'll be sure to check it out.
    Oh 100% agree. They really are DIFFERENT scents. I mean, sure they both share some of the gourmand notes, but the EDP is a real full-fledged gourmand whereas the EDT feels like it has an identity crisis.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense