Code of Conduct

Thread: V

Default V

Removed article.

Have no idea why the title of this thread has become last post - Basenotes. Technical problems I guess. Definitely isn't my last post. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 18th September 2011 at 05:44 AM.

Default Re: Vetiver - The Power of Mother Earth

Interesting, but somehow not surprising Thanks for posting this, pluran.

Without fail when I am flying out on a short haul work trip or facing a run of meetings on unfamilar ground I will reach for a vetiver scent to 'ground me' as I navigate unknown territory, so to speak, so in that respect I guess I'm subconsciously using it as a tonic of sorts, as the article suggests. Having said that, I just do not wear vetiver at all on a day to day basis . . .

I often wonder if ginseng will ever emerge in our fragrant world.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 30th June 2010 at 07:47 PM.

Pluran, is the girl in your avatar looking for vetiver? She's covered in a lot of earth.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

That makes a lot of sense to me.

I really hate hot, humid weather. In addition to the extreme physical discomfort, it seems to drain me of energy and motivation, basically just shut me down. I feel helpless and out of control, as the only way to escape it is to either go elsewhere (not always practical or even possible) or wait for a less oppressive season to come, a depressing prospect when the Equinox has just turned, and all I see before me are at the very least, three or four long months of sweltering misery.

Whenever I am in that situation, I have always had a very strong preference, an urge, even, to bust out the vetiver!

It's interesting to learn that it goes a good bit deeper than "it's cool and fresh."
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

I've always told my Wife and Son that I can smell the earth or dirt in Vetiver.....Thanks for this info!!!
    Gary

I've never understood the appeal of vetiver, even when it's not too strong in a frag. As LT has said, it has an "unbending" quality that makes it difficult to wear for any length of time (and can't easily be "softened" by other notes), similar to anise/licorice. Sometimes it is used sparingly to provide a "backbone" to frags, and that usually isn't a problem for me. Lately, I've found that leather/suede notes provide the most pleasant structure, but I've also come to enjoy mossy notes as well. To each his own !

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Interesting, but somehow not surprising Thanks for posting this, pluran.

Without fail when I am flying out on a short haul work trip or facing a run of meetings on unfamilar ground I will reach for a vetiver scent to 'ground me' as I navigate unknown territory, so to speak, so in that respect I guess I'm subconsciously using it as a tonic of sorts, as the article suggests. Having said that, I just do not wear vetiver at all on a day to day basis . . .

I often wonder if ginseng will ever emerge in our fragrant world.
    mr. reasonable, Glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Pluran, is the girl in your avatar looking for vetiver? She's covered in a lot of earth.
    manicboy, She loves vetiver. She often wears the pure essential oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cathodera View Post
    That makes a lot of sense to me.

I really hate hot, humid weather. In addition to the extreme physical discomfort, it seems to drain me of energy and motivation, basically just shut me down. I feel helpless and out of control, as the only way to escape it is to either go elsewhere (not always practical or even possible) or wait for a less oppressive season to come, a depressing prospect when the Equinox has just turned, and all I see before me are at the very least, three or four long months of sweltering misery.

Whenever I am in that situation, I have always had a very strong preference, an urge, even, to bust out the vetiver!

It's interesting to learn that it goes a good bit deeper than "it's cool and fresh."
    cathodera, I hear what you're saying. I love it in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I've always told my Wife and Son that I can smell the earth or dirt in Vetiver.....Thanks for this info!!!
    Gary
    Gary, You're welcome. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I've never understood the appeal of vetiver, even when it's not too strong in a frag....
    Bigsly, I realize not everyone will like everything, but I could eat the stuff.

People with a strong mind-body connection tend to love vetiver. People comfortable with their sexuality often do as well, seeing sex very much as pure vitality and energy. There's nothing delicate or ethereal about vetiver. It's very much about the here and now.

Ironically, many who initially believe they dislike it are often the ones who can benefit from it most. It's the perfect oil for anyone who has lost touch with something.

-
    Last edited by pluran; 30th June 2010 at 09:51 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for posting this pluran. I'm wondering why everyone always talks about the beneficial effects of lavender rather than vetiver?

Wearing Vetiver is about as calming as watching the sunset from the Tickle Pink. It's been a number of years since my wife, and I have done so, but the memories are vivid. Pluran, I think you might even agree with me.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

A wonderfully informative read - thank you for posting this, pluran.

Vetiver is my favorite note, and I feel most "myself" and at ease when I wear it.
    I love to put a few drops of essential oil into unscented detergent when laundering towels. Those towels smell marvelous. Perfect after exiting a relaxing shower or bath.

Vetiver centers me and takes me back to points in my life where I was the happiest. I am drawn to grass, wood, dirt, mud, roots. Vetiver has and always will be the fragrant component that anchors my love of this hobby.

Sur la Plage

Thanks for posting. I never seem to tire of vetiver-based fragrances - I just love them!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

This is interesting. I myself am a Vetiver lover but I cannot bring myself to choose between my two favorite Vetivers - Santa Maria Novella's or Guerlain's. Honestly, I love SMN's better, but Guerlain's is better priced.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Anyone know if fields/rows/drainage ditches of vetiver plants smell like vetiver? I bet they don't since the magic is in the roots down below. I just wish that there were fields you could go to that would reek of vetiver all the year. I would pay a substantial tourist upgrade for the package that put me in a bed & breakfast surrounded by fields that smelled of vetiver.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Oh all this talk of vetiver, I am going to douse myself in my vetiver scents tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Oh all this talk of vetiver, I am going to douse myself in my vetiver scents tomorrow.
    I'll use the shower after you then sweetheart.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Perhaps I am beyond "centering" at this point, because if I was any calmer I'd be unconscious. LOL.

As long vetiver compositions don't approach The Swamp Thing level of earthy, dirty hideousness, I am ok wearing them..
    -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    It's interesting that an article can have such an effect, but I'm craving vetiver now too. Thanks to pluran for the fascinating article. I think I've found a source for vetiver fans. I want to try one!

My favorite vetiver fragrance, so far, is Annick Goutal's. It should be called "Vetiver By the Sea". :-)
    Last edited by Haunani; 1st July 2010 at 06:38 AM.

I'm glad this was posted, as it was a worthwhile read to me.

To my surprise, I do now enjoy vetiver in some fragrances. I used to destest the stuff. But as of late, Guerlain Vetiver and Chanel Sycomore are both fragrances I like to smell. Also, and it sounds odd , Versace has a very good vetiver. Black Jeans, that is. It doesn't last long, but I don't care at this point. I just really enjoy the haitian vetiver after the aromatic top notes.

I think what got me on the wrong footing with vetiver was .....lack of experience and testing. Lack of patience as well. And also a few fragrances I disliked. Ungaro Apparition has a piercing vetiver. Encre Noire to me is just.....not good. Headache inducing.

Hopefully in the near future I can sample Guerlain Vetyver.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Thanks for posting, Pluran.

If I could had only one note to choose for the rest of my life, it would be vetiver.