Code of Conduct

Default how many fragances do you test before going to the cash register ;)

after doing a lot of research i have short listed around 10 must have fragrances which i'd like to test before buying..

is it weird to test 10 odd perfumes before hitting the counter?

Default Re: how many fragances do you test before going to the cash register ;)

HI, you must be new here. Welcome! ;-)

There was a thread a while back about the "hit rate". I think mine's about 1/10 that I find interesting, probably 1/20-30 that I end up buying or thinking about buying. So with around 20-25 bottles, I've probably smelled 250-300 various things or so. But a few of those bottles I either probably knew I was going to buy before even smelling them or I already had.

also, I rarely ever "hit the counter" the same day as I smell something. I generally research, find a few names that sound interesting, got to the store to try those, plus check out anything else. If I find something I like, I get a sample, maybe a decant, and after at minimum 3 full wearings I might buy a bottle. Most frags never make it that far.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 30th June 2010 at 08:15 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Thanks! most of the time i end up buying in 1/3 ratio.. its very difficult to decide while at the shop ;-)

I usually have a huge huge huge liste of fragrances i would love to try and smell. Usually i will not buy it unless it blows me away. Or unless its super cheap and still 'good". Like sometimes i look through over 50 just to buy one. Often times the ones you get excited for and think your about to buy, end up disappointing iyou in some way.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Nowadays I like to wear a fragrance at least 3 times before deciding to buy. The last time I only wore a perfume only twice before buying, I regretted the purchase.

I've smelled 50+ in a store before I decided on something. test away!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

As many as it takes until I find something I like. Then i'll try that with a full wearing a few times in different weather, moods, etc before deciding whether or not it's full bottle worthy.

Of course all this is meaningless if my will power cannot overcome the urge to buy blind.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

The rate for me varies as the fragrances vary. I will go months without buying, then happen on a few I like and buy. I occasionally blind buy, but never without researching online reviews or the BN archives.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Once.

Test. Test. Test away. Just don't test too many in one sitting otherwise your nose tires, I believe, and you may miss something good OR bad.

For me, the best card test is the first, so I go to the fragrance I am most curious about (decisions based on Basenotes info.). I might try "serious" tests for 3 - 4 others (total of 5). While I'm testing one, the other/s are drying down a bit, then I go back to the first, second, etc. to test the dry down. I keep the cards separate and on my person. I may "fun" test other fragrances knowing my nose has probably been pretty corrupted by everything previously, but I don't stash those cards away. If my skin is not clean and neutral smelling I do not skin test. I walk away with the cards and check on them occasionally.

If the winner of the first 1 - 5 is impressive, it gets sprayed on my skin and I walk far away, into the real world, far from any strong odors. I check it often for the rest of the time.

I'll go back 2 - 3 more time for skin tests, before I consider buying. I'll also ask honest friends of good taste and significant others.

Very few fragrances make it through the ordeal as I'm very critical. One bad thing and I won't buy it.

I would smell as many as I can. Those ones that will get my attention, I will spray it on my arm. Both arms would end up like a collage of perfumes. I will smell it the whole day. From the arm, if I like any, I will go back again on another day and test them again, only those which I REALLY liked from the arm. hahahahaha. Not really a lot to choose from here in Shanghai.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    The SA must have loved you.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I'm sure you could've fried an egg on her face before you decided.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.