Code of Conduct

Default What's your monthly budget?

Hi all,

At the very beginning of this year, one of my good intentions for 2006 was to buy a house. Since this is a costly affair, fulfilling this intention would imply living my financial life a bit more structured. But there's not much point in living your life if you can't spend some money on hobby's and other things you like (clothes, dinners) so I don't want to cut off my cashflow to the fragrance-hobby, at least not entirely.

Since I joined Basenotes 7 months ago, I purchased about 15 bottles -both niche and designer- and numerous decants. That's not thát much but combine this with the fact that (and all of you will agree) I'm NEVER going to use them all up plus a whining girlfriend (she should read this ;D), and I think I'm going to restrict my purchases a bit for the year to come.

So I was wondering how you guys plan your budget? Do you limit the number of fragrances you buy (e.g. maximum 2 bottles each month) or do you limit the amount of cash you spend (e.g. $100 to spend each month so you can choose 1 niche or 2 to 3 designers plus some bargains)?
    I myself was thinking about the second way of budget-restriction since it's more versatile and rewards the finding of bargains and Ebay-finds. To pin down a sum, I was thinking about 50€ per month since I'm going to face some hefty expenses if I'm going to fulfill my intentions for 2006.

To conclude: what I do know, is that I'll certainly buy Lorenzo Villoresi's Musk this year

Default Re: What's your monthly budget?

I try to limit myself to one TRANSACTION a month, no specified bottle-count or preordained monetary ceiling. That way if I think I want something, I have to buy it on the day I buy everything else for the month. A number of times it has happened that Ive been on Scentiments etc. and said to myself " thats waaaay too many bottles". I find it helps to have your total monthly expendtures listed together on a page before your eyes. Then If I decide I want something new a week later, i have to wait until next month. This delay also helps weed out those frags that I really want to acquire from those that are a passing fancy because you guys are all raving about its charms or someone got bitten at work because of it.

If its a good deal, I will buy it even if I already have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    If its a good deal, I will buy it even if I already have it.
    how come? as a collectors item? to flip it on the swap board for something you want? overpowering, thought-blind frag-lust?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=Noseorgy link=1137574796/0#2 date=1137593293]If its a good deal, I will buy it even if I already have it.
    how come? as a collectors item? to flip it on the swap board for something you want? overpowering, thought-blind frag-lust?[/quote]

very simple...so I don't have to pay retail price when I run out of my initial purchase. For example I have three bottles of Jaipur EDP. The total price of all three that I paid would be the total cost of one retail store purchase of the EDP.
    In a way I guess it is kind of like female logic (no offense here gals) regarding shopping. You know you're gonna get more eventually so why not buy it cheap when you can.

I've tried to stop purchasing frags, really. I have enough right now that I'd rather consolidate what I have. My last fragrance purchase, if you can call it that, was for some Tsar deodorant.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Nowadays I only buy fragrances I absolutely adore. I really hate it when I have fragrances I just like. I want to get rid of those, to keep my collection tight and perfect. I'm kind of neurotic, but only when it comes to this subject

I'm glad my neurosis doesn't mind if I buy some decants, because at the moment I feel there is no more than ten fragrances I think are worth owning a big bottle. Wouldn't be nice to limit myself to ten fragrances.

I'm a student and I have no money. I only buy stuff I truly like or get them as gifts. I probably have a new one every third month or so. I try to limit the number because I'm not very good at deciding what to wear so I only get the best I can find for different occasions and seasons. I will probably never have more than 10 at once.

Well, I have a house and I make a decent living...but I wouldn't call it a fantastic one. *Also, since part of my income comes from being self-employed as a massage therapist, my income can vary. *In fact, it can vary as much as $1000 per month. *So....I have to restrain myself or can easily run onto dry ground financially. *I sometimes resent not being able to buy what I want whenever I want to; but I remind myself that this was a choice to own a home and a good one because I'm actually earning alot of money in the long run. I also enjoy driving a newer vehicle and having nice furnishings in the home...so it's all choices, ya know?

I got into trouble when I first started collecting frags because it was so easy to punch that credit card number in. *It was no fun just paying, paying, paying for months to dig myself out of that hole. *So I'm babbling but the point is that I only buy if I truly have it in the budget to do so in a particular month. *I've just learned that it saves me alot of heartache and stress. *If I just really feel I MUST have a certain frag, I try to find a way to get a sample to tide me over. *Many times I find that I really can live without the particular scent before I've finished the sample. *Samples and decants will save you alot of money, my friends.

It depends on several things: how much I like the fragrance (I try to sample first), how the fragrance would fit in my collection, my current cash flow, and other expenses.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

half 8-)

I haven't brought a fragrance for myself since November, a fact I'm very proud of. But my collection still remains small, so I'll eventually be on a fragrance shopping high sooner or later. I'm just glad that I'm finally able to spend my money elsewhere.

My New Year's resolution was to buy no more than 2 or 3 (I forgot ;D) fragrance bottles. I'm going to stick with it 'till the end! (though I can purchase a few more decants.)

One a season, max.

Not easy...

I try to stick to around 30 - 75$US. That's a wide range but only because it allows for the purchase of something I reallly reallly realllllly realllllllllllllllly like. Usually it's around 30$ a month (in decants.. or good deals on eBay)

I have never looked at it that way - I should, I know. What I have done is to impose an arbitrary limit of 40 scents(which I have now reached). Trouble is I only really like about 25 of them but do not feel able to part with the other 15 or so.....Yet I want to purchase some additions. Its all too confusing :

I'm resurrecting this thread because I noticed that another Basenoter limits himself to two bottles at the beginning of each month.

I told him that I'm kinda doing the opposite due to my son going off to college and the associated budget hit.

Which means I only buy a cologne or two at the end of the month IF I have a surplus in my budget in the last three days before my paycheck. I did really well over the last week (with a full bank account) as I did not buy a thing.

What about others...do you have a monthly budget?

Summer is here = beach resorts 3 times a week for me. So I'm setting my monthly budget for a max of $140. I might even not buy anything in the summer since i already bought tons of new additions to my summer rotation in the past couple months....
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Default What's your monthly budget?

Not a monthly budget per se, but I'm limiting myself to one every six months and/or new scent per new (to me, that is) vehicle.

Replacements (more of the same) are not counted. I like to think that any new scent has a purpose/standard use condition.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

No budget for me. I buy whatever I want to have in my collection.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

My budget is viewed in the rearview mirror. No budget, only regret or wonderment to plot my future disbursements.

I don't budget monthly as I'm not always aware of the exact date. Yes, I can recite them backwards (December, November etc) at speed as a party piece, but I can't be bothered with the humdrum nature of it outside of display purposes.

Basenotes Plus

No budget. Some months I've spent over $5K, others $100. It all depends on what new and shiny I discover that I must have. I have been trying to be good lately, though, more selective if you will, and evaluate whether some potential new acquisitions overlap with something I already own. If it overlaps... I try to sleep on it, for days or weeks, and often forget about them. That saved me a bunch of unnecessary expense. I guess at some point when your collection is large enough you start noticing that you really don't need two or three "almost identical" fragrances and just move on to something completely new and different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rather than a budget, as well as given period of time for spending/planning/saving this budget, I try to find the necessary amounts for a certain fragrance as soon as I want to purchase it.

Basenotes Plus

I do not have a budget

However, I try and turn it down a bit when my wife starts questioning how many parcels have been delivered in any given week

Lol, the parcel numbers give the game away

I don't budget, if I like something I will see where I can get it cheapest and if I've got enough money I buy it. Otherwise I wait until I have the money and then buy it. I sort of agreed with myself to acquire the fragrances I like and then sticking to samples or small decants afterwards. I'm long overdue due a purchasing hiatus.

Quality oud oils being released every few months doesn't help either.
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

I don't think of it in terms of budget, or even a specific number of fragrances per month - there is really not a ton on my wishlist. I do plan on buying some 2 ml samples/decants very soon, and some of them will be pricy. So I may very well get back in the purchasing mode due to higher amount of sampling. When that happens, I will buy, over time, the ones that I want.

Budget = pay yourself first.

Address debt, housing, food and SAVINGS! (never plan on having anyone else take care of you - trust me it does not work out well)

From there if anything is left over - then you can consider other items. And here especially - sample - sample - sample. No one has enough money to be stupid with it - no one.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerIII View Post
    Budget = pay yourself first.

Address debt, housing, food and SAVINGS! (never plan on having anyone else take care of you - trust me it does not work out well)

From there if anything is left over - then you can consider other items. And here especially - sample - sample - sample. No one has enough money to be stupid with it - no one.
    I agree 100%. I have money going into 5 different savings accounts (including my 401K), plus paying church tithes, all utilities, groceries, etc., all that gets paid FIRST. IF I have sufficicient money left over around the 28th of this month after all that, I plan on buying a couple.

Whatever I make from my eBay and etsy. I typically have spend roughly $300 a month, if I have some niche too, then it can run to like $400-$500