Code of Conduct

Default The very best rose

So my rose kick shows no real signs of wearing off .....

Simply what is the very best - in your opinions , Rose there is

Sur la Plage

Default Re: The very best rose

To me, Black Aoud.

I love rose also. I also enjoy:

C&S 88
    Domenico Caraceni
    Hammam Bouquet
    Paestum Rose
    Cannabis Rose
    Voleur de Roses
    Iquitos
    Rose 31
    Rose Poivree
    L'Arte di Gucci
    Aramis 900
    Last edited by petruccijc; 4th July 2010 at 12:02 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Try a sample of Amouage Homage

CHANEL Egoiste.

another vote for Egoïste

Black Aoud
    Washington Tremlett Black Tie
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    The Different Company - Rose Poivree
    Amouage Homage
    Creed Windsor - only during the mid notes when the rose is dominant and it's just BEAUTIFUL

Montale Black Aoud
    Creed Fleur de The Rose Bulgare
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

C&S Dark Rose

Amouage Lyric Man is a much better rose, imo, than Homage, where the jasmine is far more predominant. Lyric Man is by far the best rose, imo. There is a really nice dose of real rose otto present (noticeable right from the very opening and for the first hour or so). It is one of the rosiest roses for men, too, and yet still manages to smell masculine and unique. There are 3 different green notes present, too, with each one surfacing at different points in the development. It starts with the muted lime, features peppery and very uplifting angelica and a hint of galbanum in the heart, and then a wonderful soft green pine note in the base. These green notes frame the rose much as the leaves and stem of a real rose do, and the contrast serves to make the rose note even more beautiful.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I really enjoy and own many rose relevant fragrances such as Rose 31, Golden Aoud, Midnight Aoud, Rose Oud and Black Tie. But for pure rose smell I think my favorite is Une Rose by Frederic Malle. Recommended by JaimE a while back, I tried and can't shake that one. I may have to get a bottle some day.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 4th July 2010 at 06:30 PM.

I couldnt get along with Une Rose , that red wine note was just too much too overpowering everything else . Maybe I should spend more time with it

Im trying to talk myself out of trying Homage Attar @ £15 a ml its super expensive

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Amouage Lyric Man is a much better rose, imo, than Homage, where the jasmine is far more predominant. Lyric Man is by far the best rose, imo. There is a really nice dose of real rose otto present (noticeable right from the very opening and for the first hour or so). It is one of the rosiest roses for men, too, and yet still manages to smell masculine and unique. There are 3 different green notes present, too, with each one surfacing at different points in the development. It starts with the muted lime, features peppery and very uplifting angelica and a hint of galbanum in the heart, and then a wonderful soft green pine note in the base. These green notes frame the rose much as the leaves and stem of a real rose do, and the contrast serves to make the rose note even more beautiful.
    Yep, it`s a beautiful scent, but I think a man need some guts to wear it..

I haven't tried all the roses on the market, but my favorites are Rose 31, Lumiere Noire and Noir de Noir.

Rose 31 is resinous, spicy and clean, and doesn't smell like anything else out there. Lumiere Noire uses the most beautiful and clean musk along with a smooth rose and cinnamon. Noir de Noir smells like roses and truffle honey over a base of vanilla, oud and moss.

Among the other rose fragrances I've tried, I found Black Aoud too medicinal, Homage Attar too sharp and snobby, Lyric Man too "fresh," Black Tie too gothic, No. 88 too perfumey, Rose Poivree too dirty and found that Paestum Rose has a balsamic vinegar note I don't like.

Rose Poivree
    Black Aoud a close second

Rose 31 & Montale Black Aoud
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Ungaro III.

Aramis 900 and Black Aoud are indeed very good rose scents, so +1's there.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I have been a a huge rose kick lately. These are my favorites.

Rose 31
    Black Aoud
    Windsor
    Lyric
    C&S #88
    Homage

I haven't tried too many rose fragrances, but I really like Ungaro II.

Another one that I enjoyed is something most people here might not have tried: Stella
    I was looking for a present for a girl and the SA recommended this and I really rather enjoyed it. It's a light rose scent that's fresh and sophisticated but yet not very sweet or floral, which makes it actually pretty wearable for guys. But note that since it's a modern designer fragrance, it's not terribly complex.
    Last edited by supperman; 4th July 2010 at 04:54 PM.

I think I may have a sample of Rose 31... if so, it's going to get a try and soon because of this thread.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

As a regular and versatile scent, Rose 31 is to me the best. Modern, nice rose, woodsy, just a touch of dirty. But the "dirty" is restrained enough that you can wear it anytime. (i.e. it's no Kouros).

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is very nice, but very elegant to me. Near formal.

Windsor probably has the best, most pure, true rose note. Smells like you're standing in front of big rose bush after a rain when the heart notes kick in. But there's a lot of other stuff going on with Windsor and while it's wonderful, like Scotch Whiskey, it's a bit of an acquired taste.

Lyric Man has a very nice rose note, but a bit too forward for my tastes.

Hammam Bouquet an interesting dirty rose, but overall the scent is very, very old school; formal-ish. Same sort of formal feel for me as Windsor and DC 1913. I like it, but don't have many occasions to wear it.

C&S No. 88 similar to DC 1913, but may be more versatile. There is a note in it that makes unwearable to ME. Many others do not have this problem.

Lumiere Noire is nice. But it wears way too lightly on me (but, I have a pretty dense nose- try for yourself).

Paestum Rose and Voleur de Roses sort of similar to me- at least in my memory. Voleur was nice mix of patchouoli and rose. Just didn't feel right for me.

Its great stuff , very dry and woody , definatly worth a try

ggrrrre dupe post
    Last edited by StylinLA; 4th July 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Motale Black Aoud
    Le Labo Rose 31
    Amouage Lyric

From what iv tried.

Stella's a great scent. I agree that men can pull this one off without smelling too girly. It's created by Jacques Cavallier, so there's no surprise as to why it's so good. I like the EdT more than the EdP, as the EdT has a lot more leather.

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I haven't tried too many rose fragrances, but I really like Ungaro II.

Another one that I enjoyed is something most people here might not have tried: Stella
    I was looking for a present for a girl and the SA recommended this and I really rather enjoyed it. It's a light rose scent that's fresh and sophisticated but yet not very sweet or floral, which makes it actually pretty wearable for guys. But note that since it's a modern designer fragrance, it's not terribly complex.

I like to smell, but not wear all of them:

Rose Poivree - original formulation
    Paestum Rose
    Opone
    Rive Gauche (women's original 1969 formulation)
    Black Aoud
    Nahema
    Une Rose
    Rose Absolue EDP (Goutal)
    Lyric Man
    Voleur de Roses
    No. 88
    L'Eau (Diptyque)

-- My favotites: Rose Poivree (original formulation), Black Aoud, Paestum Rose, Opone, No. 88

_
    Last edited by pluran; 7th July 2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: fous de la mer

Montale Highness Rose

Apart from Ungaro II and Ungaro III, two masterpieces of their kind, I also get very high quality "powdery rose", in fact so flawless and well structured, that it's nearly disquieting, from the Brazilian rose notes in Esencia Loewe

Blog Entries

I am amazed not to see my favorite rose scent listed here. The imposter of roses, Nahema. I say imposter because there is no rose absolute in it, but it is one of the most real rose-like fragrances one could wear.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 4th July 2010 at 07:42 PM.

Today I wore Lyric. My dislike for the company apart, I'll try to be as truthful as I can.

Not bad at all compared to many other fragrances but it has something artificial, like (quality) candy flavor. I don't find it too aggressive, refined rather, and it's something I enjoyed wearing today and probably will a couple times, as the sample lasts, for the sake of diversity, but I wouldn't even buy a second sample, nevermind a bottle.

Nowhere close to Windsor in terms of naturalness, quality, and sheer elegance.

I haven't tried that many niche fragrances with rose in it, but Noir de Noir from Ford's Private Collection always comes to mind first. It's just beautiful, and has incredible longevity and perfect sillage to add to its charm and appeal. I really would love to try this Rose 31, thats been getting so much hype. I'm not a huge rose fan but I do think it's a very elegant note, and in a fragrance should be treasured and only used for more special events. Granted that the rose note is dominant as it is in Noir de Noir, and I'm sure many of these niche fragrances being mentioned. I've found rose notes in more mainstream fragrances that just can't come close to those niche ones and more expensive perfumes.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 4th July 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Blog Entries

While I do enjoy the masculinized rose scents like Montale & Rose 31 and others mentioned here, I've developed a taste for the true rose scents.

My favorite is Yosh Sottile (though it's tea rose, so it's REALLY feminine, if you worry about that sort of thing)

Also, while it hasn't come up as much lately, an old BN favorite for man-wearable rose used to be Diptyque's L'Ombre Dans l'Eau, which pairs it with violet, cassis, and grapefruit.

There's also a pretty common recipe for feminine rose perfumes that integrates violet or mint on top (to give a wet, green quality), with honey in the base. Many niche lines do one of these. Lutens' Sa Majestie la Rose is a standout, as is Jo Malone's Red Roses and Creed's Fleur de The Rose Bulgarie.

Have you sampled your way through the Perfumes de Rosine yet? That would also be a great starting place for all things rose...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Hillaire

I am newly in love with the new rose scent from Delrae:
    Coup de Foudre ( the first rose chypre [as opposed to soliflore] I know, that is totally all about rose. the bergamot tang lifts it and brightens it. try it!)

Other faves (from my continuous rose quest):

Lyric Woman
    Lyric Man
    Dia Woman

Homage
    E.Coudray Jacinthe et Rose (really, it doesn't get better than this)
    Sonoma Scent Studio Rose Musc (a better, rosier version of woody rose, ala Paestum Rose; not so "musc' at all.)
    Jean Patou Un Amour de Patou (an overlooked classic clean rose)
    Czech & Speake Rose
    By Kilian Cruel Intentions (is a very different take on rose, yet it still dominates)
    Sisley Soir de Lune (heavy, hungry rose)
    Armani Prive Rose Alexandrie (can I be he only lover of this scent? a sweet, youthful relative of Soir de Lune)
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica (another very overlooked, classical soap-rose)
    And finally, my long-lost HG: Dr Hauschka's Rose perfume, from ten years ago. ( It came in a pink can, and it was the predecessor to Paestum Rose, but more herbal and perfect.)
    Last edited by Hillaire; 4th July 2010 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Stella's a great scent. I agree that men can pull this one off without smelling too girly. It's created by Jacques Cavallier, so there's no surprise as to why it's so good. I like the EdT more than the EdP, as the EdT has a lot more leather.
    I will have to sample this one. Cavallier + Rose must be worth a try.

Like alot of guys on here, I am on a rose kick. But alas, have not found anything that is ready to be commited to being a full bottle yet.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

As someone that finds rose to be an odd note to be a feature in a scent (it's association with bouquets and gardens is just too strong to shake as a focal point of a masculine fragrance), Rose 31 is the only fragrance to capture rose in a fragrance so well blended with other notes as to create something truly masculine and wearable (again for me).
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I could probably get it down to two:

Amouage Homage & Black Aoud - day and night.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 7th July 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Hermes has a nice rose as part of its Hermessence range. Burberry Brit is a nice, sort of dirty rose.

C&S Dark Rose deserves a mention, too. It features the now classic (overplayed?) combination of Rose and Aoud, but does so exceptionally well. Another good rose + oud scent is Micallef's Aoud Homme.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

As in any forms of art appreciation, I don't really believe in the existence of 'the best'.
    Some of my favorites: -

Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Vintage Rose by Sonoma Scent Studio
    1876 by Histoires de Parfums
    Rose 31 by Le Labo
    Diva by Ungaro

Definitely looking forward to trying out more rose scents.

Black Aoud. Pure Perfection.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I just got some samples from Eden Botanicals, and while I haven't tested them all yet, just sniffing the little vials, I am really impressed with the Egyptian absolute, which I had never tried before. It is very close to the Bulgarian, and significantly more affordable!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Blog Entries

The one I enjoy most is Rose 31 - peppery and wonderful. The best rose note for me is Windsor. It seems like a moist, fresh rose under some kind of olfactory microscope. Very impressive. C & S 88 is great, too. Gotta try Nahema!

Thumbs up Re: The very best rose

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Lots of good recommendations in the "complex rose scents" department, mentioned so far.

I may add, If you want a simpler but natural smelling rose:

Diptyque Opôné, a wonderful fresh natral-smelling rose with spicy saffron. Long lasting.
    Les Parfums de Rosine Une Zest de Rose, a very fresh rose with citrus/green tea to accentuate it´s freshness.

cheers

Pablo
    Last edited by Halo; 5th July 2010 at 01:52 PM.

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens, it's feminine but one of the best rose I've smeled.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

King Fahed blend by Arabian Oud must be the finest rose (+oud) frag I've smelled so far. At least the blend sold in London, not sure about the stuff sold by a certain online seller.
    Last edited by phibess; 5th July 2010 at 04:29 PM.

Is that the Oud place just opposite Selfridges ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Is that the Oud place just opposite Selfridges ?
    Yes, that's the one. I highly recommend at least sampling this stuff. I thought BA was a fine rose/oud frag - until I tried KF.

Perfumer's Workshop - Tea Rose - WTH is this stuff? Was like $5 for a 100ml so I thought why not, but I don't get all the positive reviews. Gave me a headache just smelling the spritzer.

Anyone want to explain what I'm missing?
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    I haven't tried all the roses on the market, but my favorites are Rose 31, Lumiere Noire and Noir de Noir.

Rose 31 is resinous, spicy and clean, and doesn't smell like anything else out there. Lumiere Noire uses the most beautiful and clean musk along with a smooth rose and cinnamon. Noir de Noir smells like roses and truffle honey over a base of vanilla, oud and moss.

Among the other rose fragrances I've tried, I found Black Aoud too medicinal, Homage Attar too sharp and snobby, Lyric Man too "fresh," Black Tie too gothic, No. 88 too perfumey, Rose Poivree too dirty and found that Paestum Rose has a balsamic vinegar note I don't like.
    We have the same fav roses. But, my top is Lyric Man then Rose 31, Lumiere Noire and Noir de Noir.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

1. Black Rosette by Strange Invisible Perfumes (kind of reminds me of Sen Sen candy) - favorite, though expensive
    "Black tea, roses, and a crystalline note of spearmint are influenced by the menacing aroma of leather"

2. Le Labo Rose 31

Both fairly easy to wear, without knocking anyone out.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Perfumer's Workshop - Tea Rose...
    This is a very tricky scent. On some people, it can be the closest thing to actually smelling a rose ever bottled, at any price.

On others, it can smell like kittycat pipi.

And on some hapless souls, it can be either, and you never know which it will be until you squirt it on, and learn if it loves you or hates you that day!
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

The Very Best Rose? Hammam Bouquet, of course.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Very, very few mentions of Washington Tremlitt Black Tie on this thread. I have also been going through a "rose thing", and was giving serious consideration to this one. Is there unfamiliarity with Black Tie, or is it known but not loved?

There are countless rose fragrances, and the great ones are many. Yet, if I had to distill my list to the finest of the finest (all in my opinion), I'd put Nahema on the apex of these great scents, followed by Hammam Bouquet. Nahema is sacred.

We all know that Black Aoud, Rose 31, Lyric Man are the best rose scents. Hm... And what about Fresh Cannabis Rose?

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Very, very few mentions of Washington Tremlitt Black Tie on this thread. I have also been going through a "rose thing", and was giving serious consideration to this one. Is there unfamiliarity with Black Tie, or is it known but not loved?
    Mate..just go ahead and buy it...It's got one of the best rose notes, I have smelled in a fragrance....Sadly longevity is not one of the virtues of this fragrance......Nevertheless I absolutely dig this and am not afraid to reapply.....

Dependent

If you like Black Aoud, you might find some interest in Aoud Damascus. I haven't extensively explored rose scents, but currently, my favorite would be Black Aoud.
    Last edited by MFJ; 7th July 2010 at 12:43 PM.

I would love more Montales but they are difficult for me to get hold of with no credit card

I am not much of a rose fan for personal wearing.I love the smell, just not on me. That said, this past winter I really enjoyed a large decant of Vintage C & S Dark Rose. It was just beautiful and most unlike any rose fragrance I have tried before or since. Sadly, the new version is like a watercolor portrait of the real thing.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits