Code of Conduct

Default What does wood smell like?

Woods smell like what? What is the best way to experience the smell of "woods" as the term is used in perfumery? Should I walk up to a tree and smell it? I've done this. They pretty much DON'T smell. Should I chop a tree down, burn it, then smell it? Should I cut a 2x4 with a buzz saw, then smell it? WHAT IS THE SMELL OF WOOD and how do I find out?

Default Re: What does wood smell like?

You can probably get a general idea by visiting the cut wood section of a hardware store. Woods usually refers to the smell of a general lumber, the wood-chippy mix of fresh cut wood. Sometimes woods can be quite a green garden style, almost a bit like walking in a forest sometimes a more dry furniture-wood smell. It's quite a generic term.

Quote Originally Posted by Frip View Post
    Should I cut a 2x4 with a buzz saw
    This is a pretty good way to find out what cedar smells like.

My advice is to go to an aromatherapy shop (if you have one nearby) and just smell the different essential oils.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Thanks guys.

There's an all oak furniture store near me, maybe that would help too.

Onceling, I will also go to Lowe's and meander about in the lumber aisle.

I wish someone though, would make thread on woody notes. It's an often used term, yet in my searchings, I've never seen anyone bother to describe what may be good examples.

Do you know someone that has a hampster cage with cedar chips. That fragrant smell is present
    in many fine colognes.

Wow, that's a good question. It's really almost impossible to describe a scent without a reference. Yes, you need to go sniff some wood. Better yet, buy some essential oils of various woods (and some Everclear).