Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Today I sampled...July 2010 edition

I might be one of the last people on the planet to sample Bvlgari Black...it's dark,rich and deep, indeed. But on me, it also induced.... a coughing fit. Will re-visit in cooler weather.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Default Re: Today I sampled...July 2010 edition

Thanks to Haunani, I tried Boucheron pour Femme EDP! This is an old-fashioned orange blossom oriental with vanilla. I was reminded of 24, Faubourg by Hermes but the difference is in the vanilla in the base. This will be a bottle purchase for me...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thanks to Haunani, I tried Boucheron pour Femme EDP! This is an old-fashioned orange blossom oriental with vanilla. I was reminded of 24, Faubourg by Hermes but the difference is in the vanilla in the base. This will be a bottle purchase for me...
    I'm glad you like it, Primrose! Boucheron has been one of my favorites for a long time.

Today I am sampling Nicolai Violette in Love. My first impression is that it strikes a nice balance between green violet and powdery violet. It's quite pretty but it's not capturing my imagination. The violet that will remain on my full bottle wish list is CdG Stephen Jones.

I have been sampling Frapin 1270 all this week.

I love the opening. It smells like spicy wine, or some sort of cyder, although I don't believe it has any apple. I think all Frapin fragrances are very carefully made, well blended, with quality ingredients.

The notes are (courtesy of Luckyscent): exotic woods, spice, raisin, vine flowers, pepper, candied orange, nut, hazelnut, prune, cocoa, coffee, leather, woods, white honey, vanilla.

What troubles me a bit is the drydown, it seems a bit unremarkable to me as I was expecting to smell more leather, cocoa or coffee, but I relly cannot detect any of them except for woods, honey, and vanilla. I wished I could extend the top notes. However, I have to say that my sample does not have a sprayer, perhaps that makes a difference in the drydown.

This perfume is well worth a try, since the top and heart notes are so beautiful and different from anything else I have smelled. This is a little bit gourmand, a little bit flowery, a little bit fruity, a little bit spicy, all in perfect balance. I am glad that I have tried this several nights this week, so I have time to think about the notes and my perception of them.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Arwen - I did love Frapin 1270 and considered buying but I found it doesn't last long on my skin. Anyhow, no doubt sometime in the future I will own a bottle. It is a distinctively yummy scent .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yes, Frapin is very nice. I think I will try to get a decant before I go for a full bottle. I like other Frapin's too, so I am going to start reviewing my samples.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Scherrer by Jean Louis Scherrer. Really nice, classic, floral-green chypre with some surprising spiciness going on. Doesn't quite make my "must have" list, but I will enjoy this sample.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Plus

Parfum Prive by La Perla- very rich and happy
    A Scent Rescuer

Basenotes Plus

from a sample ...ANTHRACITE by Jacomo...EDT

per Fragrantica: Top notes are basil, hyacinth, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are tuberose, orange blossom, violet, orris root, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and narcissus; base notes are amber, musk, benzoin, vanilla, vetiver, heliotrope and cedar.

Why am I smelling green olives in the top notes...may be the basil? I get no distinct tuberose, jasmin, or muguet in the heart, and the dry down is spicy and dry..no vanilla on my skin.

I think this would make a fantastic masculine, too.
    A Scent Rescuer

I received a sample of Mugler's Womanity today from my good friend in the UK who I keep trying to get to join us here. I've hardly read anything about this, but I saw some of the notes listed on NowSmellThis after I tried it on my skin.

On my skin, and to my nose, the heart is all about fresh, sweet green stuff. Very fresh tobacco, pipe tobacco. Apparently there's a caviar accord somewhere too, but I don't get it. I love the sweet greenery though.

Anyone else have tried this?

Basenotes Institution

I have been sampling like a maniac lately. Une Rose, the rest of the Caron urn parfums. I love Narcisse Blanc and French Can Can best. May need Narcisse Blanc and French Can Can soon. If you love Narcisse Noir than you will love Narcisse Blanc .

I haven't bought any new samples recently because I have so many in that I have not tried! (that said, this post is kind of off topic isn't it? < sheepish >

Anyway, several I have lined up to try are: Bois d'Armenie, Creed Royal English Leather, Humiecke & Graef Bosque, Blue Gentian, Byredo Bal d'Afrique, LesNez The Unicorn Spell... and a bunch more!

knit_at_nite I LOVE Anthracite, and I agree (as does Hillaire, who suggested that on another thread) that it would make a good masculine scent too. (and it doesn't "show" vanilla on my skin either.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 21st July 2010 at 12:38 AM.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

I went to the mall and begged some samples yesterday -LOTS of Armani Code woman -the 1 use under the foil things .Itried it and was reminded strongly of Hugo Deep Red .

Went and tried Aramis Classic on a whim the day before yesterday, and was completely bowled over. The leather in the heart and base are so reminiscent of my vintage Bandit, I have to have it. Love at first sniff.

The day before I went sniffing with a friend who is on the look-out for a fun, flirty and light-hearted fruity floral to wear for parties. Apparently Juicy Couture is almost, but not quite it. I am horribly bad at that kind of fragrance, I can barely even pick out any notes out of them, so I wasn't very useful to her, I'm afraid. But at least I got around to sniffing Flowerbomb (well done, but sort of meh) and a few other things I feel that I should be familiar with, as well as a couple of Keiko Mecheris; Peau de Peche, which I like, although she didn't, and Fleur de Peau a little at random, which surprised me by being a leather instead of the floral musk I expected - fun and interesting to me, but emphatically not my friend's cup of tea.

She liked Kenzo Amour Florale, though more as an everyday kind of thing. I was underwhelmed.
    I tried Baghari and was surprised, again, by how lovely the opening is on me. I keep sampling Baghari and Visa side by side and thinking that I got them mixed up, because I expect to prefer Visa but don't, initially; the opening of Baghari doesn't read like a classic aldehydic floral on me at all. I think I tend to forget about it after the topnotes, though.
    Last edited by Pimpinett; 21st July 2010 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I have been sampling like a maniac lately. Une Rose, the rest of the Caron urn parfums. I love Narcisse Blanc and French Can Can best. May need Narcisse Blanc and French Can Can soon. If you love Narcisse Noir than you will love Narcisse Blanc .
    I think I like Narcisse Blanc better than Narcisse Noir! Heaven help me if I ever get to the Caron boutique in NY. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by trikkirikki View Post
    I received a sample of Mugler's Womanity today from my good friend in the UK who I keep trying to get to join us here. I've hardly read anything about this, but I saw some of the notes listed on NowSmellThis after I tried it on my skin.

On my skin, and to my nose, the heart is all about fresh, sweet green stuff. Very fresh tobacco, pipe tobacco. Apparently there's a caviar accord somewhere too, but I don't get it. I love the sweet greenery though.

Anyone else have tried this?
    Thanks for your post. I keep resisting this because I hate the name (I think the name is really dorky!), but it sounds like a fragrance I could like a lot. Caviar accord? Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    from a sample ...ANTHRACITE by Jacomo...EDT

per Fragrantica: Top notes are basil, hyacinth, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are tuberose, orange blossom, violet, orris root, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and narcissus; base notes are amber, musk, benzoin, vanilla, vetiver, heliotrope and cedar.

Why am I smelling green olives in the top notes...may be the basil? I get no distinct tuberose, jasmin, or muguet in the heart, and the dry down is spicy and dry..no vanilla on my skin.

I think this would make a fantastic masculine, too.
    This sounds wonderful, green olives and all!

I had a total sniff-fest in Manchester yesterday. I tried Womanity, which smelled of cinnamon to me to begin with, but it quickly faded to the fig and wood. I managed to grab a sample vial of it so I can try it on skin soon.

I also got to sniff some Penhaligons scents, Elixir (not fussed), Night Scented Stock (loved, it smelled like the flowers, all heady and summery and it reminded me of my Nanna's flower garden), Orange Blossom (just orange blossom) and Extract of Limes. I also tried Castile, and that was very orange blossomy, but with a bit more to it. I did try to snare a sample of the NSS, but the SA was having none of it.

At the Jo Malone counter, I tried the new Rose & Vanilla Cologne Intense, and loved it. But then I noticed that there should have been 4 scents on display, and asked the SA what the missing one was. He pulled out the tester from behind the counter and sprayed it for me, and it was amazing. Oud and Bergamot. It really was fabulous, and he sprayed loads of it on tissue paper for me to take away. I keep coming back to it. I also tried Wild Fig and Cassis, but it's very close to Philsoykos for me.

I went absolutely crazy in Harvey Nicks and Selfridges, smelling everything I could get my nose near and I think I may have overloaded slightly. I was disappointed that not many people seemed to be generous with the samples, the Penhaligons lady was only giving them out with purchases, which seemed a bit mean, since I was very clearly an interested potential buyer. I think I want NSS, but not without a skin test first, so I am off to ebay to see what I can dredge up.

Basenotes Institution

Bulgarian Rose Otto 10 % ( Rosa damascena ) - simply divine and heaven sent. True deep rose scent, subtle with hints of tea. THIS is love !
    Turkish Rose Otto 10 % - a little coarser, lovely rose with tea.
    Rose de Mai - forget about it. Horrible .
    "Plain" rose absolute 10 % - cheesy rose ,uggh .

I forgot to mention the Tuca Tuca I tried. I really really didn't like it at all, and it had sounded so lovely.

Energizer by Boadicea the Victorious. A nice citrus but honestly a little bland.

Basenotes Institution

Homage Attar by Amouage.

Somewhat disappointed with it- it's quite sharp and smells more masculine. Will re test again.

- Kiehl's Original Musk, which was very pleasant, I must say - soft, floral, with just a tiny little bit of smut here and there. Great longevity, too, traces still remain on my wrist over twelve hours later, and I got delicious little wafts all yesterday evening. I may have to get this, I think I would wear it a lot.

- Byredo Baudelaire. Reminded me so much of several other fragrances (Dior Homme, Neotantric Fragrances Manic Love Man, that name makes me cringe every time, even Borneo 1834) that it felt a bit redundant to me, but it's far from identical with any of them. Sweet, leathery amber with a strange, musty note in the opening and heart that reminds me strongly of something I can't quite pin down - the smell you get when you file horn, maybe, or some kind of animal. Odd. I don't know.

- Etro Palais Jamais. I had the impression that this would be a bit of a powerhouse, or at least decidedly more fougere/masculine than it was on me. Nice! but more citrusy, floral and light-hearted than I thought. I think I'll have to try it without any loud musks or ambers in the vicinity.

Have to agree with Pippedydee on Tuca Tuca! Not my thing at all.

I tried the new Clarins Eau des Jardins and found it to be a soft citrussy
    floral full of essential oils - grapefruit, orange and lemon, wild rose, patchouli and vetiver.
    It's a skin treatment as well, using three organic bud extracts to hydrate and rejuvenate the skin.
    The lasting power is not great, but it can be re-applied with abandon.
    A nice addition to the other three Clarins scents (Eau Dynamisante, Eau Ressourcante and Eau
    Ensoleillante.)
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Institution

I sampled Jarling by JAR - quite pleasant - doesn't scream - BUY me ! I also sampled some Andy Tauers - very good mostly.

Two of the Chanel Les Exclusifs line -

Gardenia - so very pretty! I really enjoyed how delicate and sheer this was for a white floral (not that I mind the big, opulent types but it was nice for a change). However, I was just shocked at how quickly this evapored from my skin. I don't think it lasted longer than about 20 minutes. Maybe that's the reason for the 200ml bottle? I think I'll buy a bigger decant so I can easily carry it around for re-application but I wont be buying a bottle.

Beige - probably the third or fourth test of this, I desperately want to buy a full bottle. So rich and honeyed, nice silage and much better staying power than Gardenia. This turns powdery on me, which I like and overall I find it completely elegant and beautiful.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

2 days ago I went with my mom to sniff at Nieman's. We eventually landed in the Guerlain boutique, with a lovely, knowledgeable SA. It was SO much fun. I am now officially in love with Tonka Imperiale, Moscou, and Gourmand Coquin. Secrets de Sophie and Tonka Imperiale were mom's favs and smelled divine on her. What fun we had! I also had a little skin space with Serge Lutens' Santal Blanc which evolved beautifully on my skin, and lasted hours. Sigh. If only I could afford them....I am grateful for The Perfumed Court!

Basenotes Institution

One of my fave niche natural perfumeries- Ajne. I sampled Aphrodite, Lakshmi ( Hi memechose ! ) and Divine. Honestly, I love all three- this will be a hard choice. Must think carefully !

Divine is closest to Fleur Blanche and Printemps- quite tropical creamy and lovely. So that leaves Aphrodite and Lakshmi !