Code of Conduct

Default Today I sampled...June 2010

Nothing yet. I have a box of samples that I need to organize. Not sure which one to try first. I'll get back with you soon...

Happy sampling!!
    Evenstar

Default Re: Today I sampled...June 2010

Today I sampled ... Narciso Rodriguez (black bottle). Yum, this smells wonderful. If I ever wondered whether I was anosmic to musk ... now I know I'm not! It's all musky musky warm-fur musk, with just little whiffs of the fruit and flowers that are supposed to be in there. It is getting sweeter and more complex as time goes on, though -- it's starting to develop a more floral character. It's also pretty powerful, but it doesn't seem like the kind of scent that's going to annoy in the office.

It has been reminding me of something all morning, and now I think I recognize what it is. Am I crazy, or is this the same furry/animalic musk I get at the bottom of Chanel No. 5? They seem like such different scents, but there's that one whiff that I catch in No. 5 that makes it smell a little intriguingly dirty under the airiness ... this seems like a cleaner version of that note.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Today I sampled ... Narciso Rodriguez (black bottle). Yum, this smells wonderful. If I ever wondered whether I was anosmic to musk ... now I know I'm not! It's all musky musky warm-fur musk, with just little whiffs of the fruit and flowers that are supposed to be in there. It is getting sweeter and more complex as time goes on, though -- it's starting to develop a more floral character. It's also pretty powerful, but it doesn't seem like the kind of scent that's going to annoy in the office.

It has been reminding me of something all morning, and now I think I recognize what it is. Am I crazy, or is this the same furry/animalic musk I get at the bottom of Chanel No. 5? They seem like such different scents, but there's that one whiff that I catch in No. 5 that makes it smell a little intriguingly dirty under the airiness ... this seems like a cleaner version of that note.

Thalia- you are so lucky- I am completely anosmic to Narciso's Musk ! Shame !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I've heard that's pretty common -- that some people spray it and it's like spritzing with water as far as they're concerned!

Do you get musk/skank from No. 5 at all?

Yesterday I sampled SJP's new scent SJP New York.
    All I can say is - is there anything there or am I turning
    anosmic?? Very light and inconsequential.

Also tested Cuir Beluga and found that much more interesting.
    Soft, pale suede and almondy vanilla - yum! Luxury in a bottle.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I've heard that's pretty common -- that some people spray it and it's like spritzing with water as far as they're concerned!

Do you get musk/skank from No. 5 at all?
    Nope - no musk or skank at all from No.5 - just florals.Oh dear- I am very anosmic to musk, aren't I ?.... I am also anosmic to Musc Nomade by AG.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 3rd June 2010 at 06:50 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Guerlain's Sous Le Vent
    Notes of basil, bergamot, lavender, tarragon, carnation, oakmoss, iris, woods, patchouli.

Oh My Goodness. Once in a while a scent comes a long and blows your mind away . I think for me, this is Sous Le Vent. Aromatic Fougere /Citrus Green Heaven by Guerlain. It opens up hugely citrus /bergamot - dry and bracing ,uplifting pure sunshine. Then the herb-y notes come in and it gets a little spicey with the carnation and maybe a little woody too. Mostly citrus ,green,sharp ,dry . I have read that this has not much staying power but I beg to differ. It does become more subtle but Sous Le Vent is definitely there.
    This is more in the realm of Jicky than Mitsouko to me.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th June 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Terre d'Hermes... a very-similar-to-but-different-than-Sycomore lovely scent. (will break it down better soon, am rushing from chore to chore!) Anyway I never got any citrus from it, but did get flint, vetiver, and woods. Very unisex frag! (may be saving up for a FB, I (cough) gave in to Citizen Queen's "purse bullets" in a moment of madness and seriously have no budget for more right now.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Institution

Guerlain Sample Fest this evening but not much time to write.....

Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain. Enough with the gardenia misnomers already ! Velvety plush ,smooth, pretty ,feminine but this is not really gardenia at all. If this is gardenia than I am the Queen Mum . Not buying !

Vega by Guerlain- fantastic ,gorgeous ,classic, very very similar to Chanel No5 EDP + extrait with heavy ylang ylang and rose. Ylang is not a favorite note for me though. As it dries down, this becomes 'less Chanel" and more Guerlain - hints of Vol de Nuit, woodier ,mustier. An excellent scent but my heart belongs to the hardier ,ballsy, dry ,unisex Sous Le Vent.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th June 2010 at 01:20 AM.

Hi Mimi Gardenia lovey!!!!

Glad you had a "nicer" experience with Vega than CG. I adore Vega, maybe one day (when I am done with house spending) you and I might split a bottle of Vega. That would be nice.

This happened yesterday.

Well, for some reason (well beyond my grasp) I decided to try a spritz of Violet Eyes by Elizabeth Taylor. I do enjoy Passion and White Diamonds so I figured, why not?, big mistake.
    It started out very lovely, floral sweet, some greenness, not too bad.
    Within an hour it smelt as if I had rubbed my wrist on a pile of gooey lollipops covered in cotton-candy, with a bit of chemical spill on top.
    After this phase passed, 2 hours, it smelt as if I was conducting a chemical experiment on my wrists and was making me nauseous.
    As soon as I arrived home I had to bathe and try to scrub off this nuclear-waste like swill, which proved to be quite difficult. After showering and scrubbing my arms quite well the chemical smell lingered until I went to sleep. It was only by the powers-that-be that my Fragonard Caresse managed to off-set the horrendous smell that was Violet Eyes.

That is one mistake I hope never to make again.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 12th June 2010 at 02:30 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

During my chores I stumbled across a sample I got (in multiples, with a discount coupon) from an online retailer, and just for grins I thought I'd give it a go... "Exceptional...because you are" the femme version. Starts out with aldehydes, melon, iris/lily, a little strong but not "heavy" (thought of a Coco Mademoiselle clone wannabe but that's not really close) and kind of stays there. On my skin it isn't really sweet at all, just floral. Not too much development after that but a hint of something else that isn't quite, but might come across as "spice." So at a discount retail of around $55-60 for 3.4 oz. EDP it could be a worse "investment." Floral, a little "watery" without too much depth, feminine. Marketing for this perfumer needs to rethink the very silly name. The positives: price, it's not too sweet, it's definitely floral, and it seems to have a little more longevity on my skin than some pricier perfumes. Negatives: The name, the kind of unexceptional quality and lack of depth. The basenotes? The lily sweetens a touch and perhaps deepens just a little, thus the "not quite spice." For a safe linear floral with a bit of a melon/aquatic top, not too bad but there are definitely scents out there with more depth. Perhaps a good choice for a young woman who needs something that is strong for an hour but doesn't need it to be a BLOCKBUSTER. It would definitely "read" feminine (and is going more "synthetic" on me an hour in.)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Hi Mimi Gardenia lovey!!!!

Glad you had a "nicer" experience with Vega than CG. I adore Vega, maybe one day (when I am done with house spending) you and I might split a bottle of Vega. That would be nice.

This happened yesterday.

Well, for some reason (well beyond my grasp) I decided to try a spritz of Violet Eyes by Elizabeth Taylor. I do enjoy Passion and White Diamonds so I figured, why not?, big mistake.
    It started out very lovely, floral sweet, some greenness, not too bad.
    Within an hour it smelt as if I had rubbed my wrist on a pile of gooey lollipops covered in cotton-candy, with a bit of chemical spill on top.
    After this phase passed, 2 hours, it smelt as if I was conducting a chemical experiment on my wrists and was making me nauseous.
    As soon as I arrived home I had to bathe and try to scrub off this nuclear-waste like swill, which proved to be quite difficult. After showering and scrubbing my arms quite well the chemical smell lingered until I went to sleep. It was only by the powers-that-be that my Fragonard Caresse managed to off-set the horrendous smell that was Violet Eyes.

That is one mistake I hope never to make again.

Hello Brielle darling ! Sure, one day we'll split a bottle - it is very beautiful. I am sorry about Violet Eyes - I had a similar experience with big old foghorn Giorgio Of Beverly Hills - horrendous ! *LOL*

Actiasluna- I have SO many samples of Exceptional- never tried it ! Never used that free mirror either ! *LOL*
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th June 2010 at 03:55 AM.

I tossed the free mirrors in my toolbox, never know when a hand mirror may come in useful for something mechanical!

Yeah, "Exceptional" isn't awful, but it's definitely NOT exceptional. The drydown several hours after is just ... more of the same only faded. Meh.

(and unfortunately, the current formulation of Poison is kinda the same, except with grapes. (I really, really tried to love it but the more I wear it, the less I like it. Sigh.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 12th June 2010 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post

Guerlain's Sous Le Vent
    Notes of basil, bergamot, lavender, tarragon, carnation, oakmoss, iris, woods, patchouli.

Oh My Goodness. Once in a while a scent comes a long and blows your mind away . I think for me, this is Sous Le Vent. Aromatic Fougere /Citrus Green Heaven by Guerlain. It opens up hugely citrus /bergamot - dry and bracing ,uplifting pure sunshine. Then the herb-y notes come in and it gets a little spicey with the carnation and maybe a little woody too. Mostly citrus ,green,sharp ,dry . I have read that this has not much staying power but I beg to differ. It does become more subtle but Sous Le Vent is definitely there.
    This is more in the realm of Jicky than Mitsouko to me.
    Sous le Vent is one of the greatest creations (in my opinion) by Guerlain.
    I bought a decant not too long ago, and Mr. Elf liked it so much that he put it among his fumes. In fact it was his SOTD today.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Arwen- is Sous Le Vent in the permanent collection now or is it still a limited edition ( or just limited distribution to Neiman's Saks and so forth ? )

Re.Vega- the extreme dry down is Jicky (!) - starts as Chanel No 5 and ends as Jicky. There's a chameleon !

Basenotes Institution

Krigler's Pleasure Gardenia 79

Notes of jasmine, vanilla, mimosa, musk and gardenia petals.

The number 79 at the end refers to the date it was created- 1979 .

Good Lord ! This perfume should come with a warning. This is Giorgio of Beverly Hills all over again- it's very similar and frankly I am getting a headache. I rushed to scrub but it's still there...so it has the olfactory power of a bomb - like its twin.
    Where is the gardenia ? Nope this is jasmine , tuberose,vanilla and Lord knows what else they put in there to make this so strong.
    Gotta take some Advil right now before this headache becomes a migraine !

Picture and notes from krigler.com
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th June 2010 at 03:37 PM.

I'm testing Isabey Fleur Nocturne on one hand and the new Agoniste Infidel on the other. The Fleur Nocturne is rather meh... a pleasant floral but nothing to write home about. The Infidel is quite odd. It supposedly has a huge dose of cumin in it, and it did smell a bit spicy when I first put it on, but it's drying down into a soapy smell, as if it were some sort of spicy cold-cream soap bar.

Neither one of these is a winner, fortunately I have a whole bag of other samples that just arrived from Luckyscent. :-) Oh, I did also try a bunch of the Micallef scents before my shower today, including Micallef Floral, Sashka for Her, Sashka Gold, Spicy for Him, Sashka Green and Sashka Sun. The only one I liked at all was Sashka for Her, and even that one was merely pleasant. More money saved!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Arwen- is Sous Le Vent in the permanent collection now or is it still a limited edition ( or just limited distribution to Neiman's Saks and so forth ? )

Re.Vega- the extreme dry down is Jicky (!) - starts as Chanel No 5 and ends as Jicky. There's a chameleon !
    Oh Mimi, I am sorry I am over a week late replying to this. By now you know the sad truth. However, you should be celebrating with your brand new bottle of Sous le Vent. xo
    Evenstar

Today I wore Ivoire from my recent sample purchases.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Forget my plan to go to decants for the ones I like. I foresee a full bottle in my (very near) future.
    Last edited by coopmom; 19th June 2010 at 02:56 AM.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Basenotes Plus

The postman hefted a bunch of packages to my house today- I was surprised how fast these orders came and kinda disappointed that they all came at once-cuz I just have to open all at once, you know.
    So for the hits I have:
    Caron Pour Une Femme on right wrist- like a softer Montaigne, much more office friendly, but lovely .
    Vintage Miss Balmain on right arm- Classic perfumery and very wearable.
    Balmain's BalMan on left arm- Nice unisex citrus. Like the drydown a LOT! With these two, I still have not met a Balmain I don't like.
    Habit Rouge left wrist- have been wanting to add this to the Guerlain collection for some time
    And the sole miss:
    Avon Lemon Velvet- oh well, at least the super cheap was was super cheap. I may re-test because it may be suffering in comparison to the other scents fine qualities. (who am I kidding?)
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I went to my Nordstrom's and sampled the new Aramis Cool Blend!!! I liked this alot.....just didn't last!!!
    Gary

Just reminding myself that I have loads of samples (well, loads for me anyway) to check out, must make a point of not applying right after work so I can do just that! (just got a few in from another Basenoter's generosity, and have only just touched on the samples I got from yet ANOTHER Basenoter!)

Somebody send me a nudge! (okay, you don't have to...)

Anyway... tested Calamity J a little, and get as another Basenoter put it, "the common DNA" between Citizen Queen and CJ. Like what I smell from the JHAG house so far as it tickles my slightly dark scent fancy. More when I get a better sniff!

Basenotes Institution

JAR's Jardenia and Golconda.
    For once, I am speechless. Both are beautiful ,rare creations.I MAY love Golconda even more than Jardenia.
    Jardenia and Ajne Fleur Blanche are similar- Jardenia is better. The dry down is different from Fleur Blanche- delectably cheesy rich gardenia. Fab.
    Golconda and Caron's Poivre- I smell similarity - both are good . I think I love Golconda more.

I am speechless- how often does that happen to mega mouth here ??
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 25th June 2010 at 01:16 AM.

MG speechless?... wow... speechless?

That renders ME speechless. (yeah, it can happen to me too!)

(though I have been sort of quiet here since the garden started needing more harvesting and weeding and since the sweetie has been here more often recently.)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    MG speechless?... wow... speechless?

That renders ME speechless. (yeah, it can happen to me too!)

(though I have been sort of quiet here since the garden started needing more harvesting and weeding and since the sweetie has been here more often recently.)
    *LOL* Tee Hee* It takes inaccessible perfume of great expense to shut Mimi Gardenia Mega Mouth up ! *LOL* Such sweet pain -this longing for JAR !!!!!!!!
    I've been pretty caught up with sampling for The Mystery of Musk project which has held me in rapture for days apart from my sampling of the two JARs.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 25th June 2010 at 03:09 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Miss Arpels- Left details on "Today I bought" thread....
    A Scent Rescuer

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Sampled AG Ninféo Mio at our Nordstom, though they have none for sale yet, just the tester bottle. Brought home a little sample vial. I liked it better than I expected to; this might be worth buying. Must wear it some more first.

I also got a small sample of Balenciaga Paris, which I only sprayed on paper, not wanting to have it compete with Ninféo Mio. First thing I smelled was violets. Pleasant development on paper. Will try on skin soon.

Also brought home a few samples of Hanae Mori-- lots of vanilla and sandalwood, I think? Probably won't be wearing that.

I'm sampling Roger & Gallet Shiso this morning. What a lovely, refreshing fragrance this is! Soapy, but in a really good way.

I'm making a point of running through samples from Basenoters this summer, and so this time it's Poison revisited (thanks to Le Grand Duc): Vintage Poison is lovely! I've said that before, actually, but got discouraged when I bought some of the latest version. In comparison to the new stuff, it's richer, spicier, more sophisticated. The "Drugstore EDT" I recently got my hands on pales and is grape koolaid compared to the vintage's red wine. The vintage doesn't need "augmentation for depth" either (and the modern version definitely does, if only one could figure out what it's lacking.)

The grapeyness is there, reminds me of communion, which for me was Welch's grape juice but now I see it as red wine. That is a fond memory for me. It's as though the innocent kid in the church pew with her gran has grown up into a slinky vamp with this vintage juice. And where the modern version screams synthetic flowers, the vintage is much darker and purrs, loudly. But that innocent girl is still there. Poison is not my typical type of scent, but a little vintage juice might be something I'd like to have a mid-size decant of, just for those moments when nothing else will do.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 25th June 2010 at 11:32 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Poison is so baroque Actiasluna ! It reminds me of wine too !

Blog Entries

... Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain and was reminded of Quelques Fleurs l'Original by Houbigant.

Basenotes Plus

On this, the last day of the month, I sampled:

Vintage Christian Dior Eau Fraiche...I am a relentless blind buyer and usually very happy but this purchase is more like "Eau not so fraiche". Either the juice has turned or someone filled a vintage bottle with some form of mouthwash. Unbearably musty and stinky for the first hour, then softened to merely unpleasant. Ah me, can't win em all.

Vintage Nina Ricci Bigarade EDT- very nice herbal orange- very unisex.
    A Scent Rescuer

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Today I sampled...June 2010

Feminite Du Bois EDP by Shiseido.

Basenotes Institution

Recent samplings- Jar Diamond Water, Tolu by Ormonde Jayne ( a re-test) ,Champaca by Ormonde Jayne and Normandie by Patou. Outstanding is Diamond Water and Normandie. Tolu is excellent as well . Not so hot on Champaca though it is good juice.

N_Tesla /D- Normandie makes me think of you.