Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I'm back!! Notes from my NY trip...

Your serialized scent saga has made me fall in love with NY all over again. I really need to get my lazy ass up to the Frederic Malle boutique - I need that red sofa!

Some quick thoughts. I'm always surprised by the mentions of Le Male being similar to APOM Homme, I get hardly any lavender or vanilla from it, and quite honestly, your thoughts on APOM Femme are my exact thoughts on APOM Homme, it's mostly orange blossom on my skin. Regarding the LV Vetiver, did you get the oft mentioned celery note? I've held off trying it because of the promise of that note. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Eau de Gloire, I think it's fantastic! Great stories and reviews Rogolal, so sorry I couldn't make it out to the city.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Rogalal, so nice to hear about your NYC adventures! My partner and I were there a couple of weeks earlier, and I hit several of the same spots (although I didn't even know others, notably the Krigler boutique, existed). So it was a pleasure to recall all my own fresh memories.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Some quick thoughts. I'm always surprised by the mentions of Le Male being similar to APOM Homme, I get hardly any lavender or vanilla from it, and quite honestly, your thoughts on APOM Femme are my exact thoughts on APOM Homme, it's mostly orange blossom on my skin. Regarding the LV Vetiver, did you get the oft mentioned celery note? I've held off trying it because of the promise of that note. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Eau de Gloire, I think it's fantastic! Great stories and reviews Rogolal, so sorry I couldn't make it out to the city.
    I could easily have mis-written the APOM names on the paper test strips. As for LV Vetiver, I've learned the hard way that my nose is no good at picking out the subtle differences between all the vetiver scents out there without a full day on skin. That celery note is the precise kind of thing I'd never notice on paper... Re: Eau de Gloire, I think I get turned off by scents that open with a bunch of lavender, even if it's passing and will lead to something I'd like more.

Paul, I only had heard in passing about the Krigler boutique because it had come up in a womens SOTD thread months ago. According to the store locator on their website, they're available at Barneys (which may have been true at some point, but not within the last few years) and Scent Bar (though they're not on Luckyscent.com - odd...).

The Perfumed Court has America One (which, strangely, is the only one listed here on BN - no reviews, though - I'd love to see what AromiErotici or JaimeB or any of the old-school experts would have to say...), but they sell samples on the Krigler website.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??
    Currently wearing: Lys 41 by Le Labo

Also, what are the taller bottles in your first picture Rogolal?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Also, what are the taller bottles in your first picture Rogolal?
    I'm not sure, but I think they were the bath oils. Someone with more SMN experience can correct me...

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip notes; it sounds as if you had an awesome time. If you must know, I sighed forlornly reading the Aedes recap...though that quickly turned into a smile when I read you had purchased the eponymous house fragrance, which really seems your kind of thing.

I have been wondering about SMN Melograno for some time now and your yin-yang description of it has pushed me over the edge. I need a sample of this.

My favorite part of this thread is the Caron boutique post. You definitely made the right call on the Nuit de Noel extrait. Did you happen to try Tubereuse parfum? My thoughts have often returned to it in the weeks since encountering it during my own day-out in the city...and here I was, thinking I didn't like tuberose, "buttery" or otherwise.

The Sécrétions Magnifiques interlude had me in stitches. I have yet to smell it but it sounds like even more of an art piece than most of the Artisans I have tried. And Fat Electrician...fishy?!
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 5th July 2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: oops

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    I have been wondering about SMN Melograno for some time now and your yin-yang description of it has pushed me over the edge. I need a sample of this.
    I have really enjoyed the accompanying soap, because the soapy powdery floral qualities simply make sense in a soap, while the really dirty leathery spices really don't. If anything, the EDT seemed a bit toned-down compared to the soap, but not much. I still haven't had the opportunity to try Knize Ten, but I assume it has a similar dichotomy between soapy/perfumey and dark/weird.

Did you happen to try Tubereuse parfum? My thoughts have often returned to it in the weeks since encountering it during my own day-out in the city...and here I was, thinking I didn't like tuberose, "buttery" or otherwise.
    No... When faced with a wall of perfume, I generally find it a safe bet to skip anything tuberose. Sorry I missed something great... Doh!

And Fat Electrician...fishy?!
    Um, not really fishy. It's more specific than that. I remember growing up in the 80's, every mall had a pet store, with puppies and kittens in the front windows and invariably a dark section in the back with aquariums full of cheap fish. These stores turned out to be quite inhumane and terrible and are long since gone, but there was a very specific smell in the back with all the aquariums. It was humid and wet and sort of mossy and you could smell the fish food. It's really hard to describe and I don't know what causes it, but it's very specific and even modern aquarium stores often still smell like this. That's the mystery note that turned me away from Fat Electrician...

Basenotes Institution

Great write up rogalal. Yep, you hit all of the top spots in the city - you really did your homework, didn't you?

Oh and your Secretions Magnifique post had me snorting at my computer reading it. LOL. Only in NY, eh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yep, you hit all of the top spots in the city - you really did your homework, didn't you?
    I'm a bit of an anal planner, but all my plans ended up failing as I wandered randomly up and down town instead of going to places that were near each other.

Someday I'll make it to CB I Hate Perfume. It's just far enough away that I seem to miss it every year...

First of all, great thread and thanks for caring enough do give us all the pics and details from your trip. I'll have to try Krigler America One 31. I've never heard of it before. Now, calling Lorenzo Villoresi "not original," "bland," and "boring" - dems fightin' words, buddy!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I'm a bit of an anal planner, but all my plans ended up failing as I wandered randomly up and down town instead of going to places that were near each other.

Someday I'll make it to CB I Hate Perfume. It's just far enough away that I seem to miss it every year...
    I feel you. NY is a wonderful city to wander in. In fact, I've had my most exciting and surprising moments window shopping in NY while I wandered here and there and stumbled upon the most original and unique stores and shops. I love that part of experiencing NY - from the actual streets, not online from a computer or a blog, etc.

Plus my buddy Kevin Guyer is always a great NY resource to have, isn't he?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th July 2010 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    If you ever make to Brooklyn, the MioMia shop isn't far away. It's one of the two shops in the US where they sell the Histoires de Parfums fragrances (the other being Susan of Burlingame in Burlingame, and frankly it would be easier to go to Brooklyn).

Thanks for trying out rel in my honor i feel famous lol. bdp is another wonderful cologne, and i got to smell cocktail of peonies recently as well and it is fabulous. Great choices.