Code of Conduct

Question Fracas - Piquet - Government Health Warning !!

I have a bottle of Fracas edp which I bought circa 1985. I keep returning to it and trying it, but it is skanky,stinky stuff. Within half an hour it becomes intolerable and I have to wash it off. It has a certificate on the side of the package guaranteeing that it is the original formula. Does anyone else have this problem with this fragrance ???
    Turin rates this so highly.........it seems that I cannot agree with this guy on anything. I love tuberose. My favourite
    perfume based around tuberose is Crescendo from Lanvin. Even Versace´s Blonde is 100 times better than Fracas.
    Why does Turin rate this filthy chemical mess so highly ?????
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fracas - Piquet - Government Health Warning !!

Are you talking about the men's or the women's version? lf you're talking about the women's, it certainly is a "big" fragrance which provokes strong reactions, good & bad. Of course opinions vary, & many of us don't agree with all of LT's, but that's life! l personally love Fracas, see my review for the reasons why
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks for the post. Yes, I am referring to the womens. I think they must have changed the formula, despite the guarantee on the box. It´s worse than any drugstore fragrance. I will look at your review. Thanks again.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Blog Entries

Actually l'm sure l read here somewhere that the formula was changed at one stage, & it was only more recently when another perfumer took over that it was returned to a more original version. l bought mine just a couple of years back. lt would be interesting if you get a chance to sniff the current version, to see how it compares?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I haven't smelt the vintage, but I, a tuberose lover, cannot stand Fracas. When it goes on my skin, all I smell is stinky indoles and I attribute that to orange blossom, a note I have trouble with. I do like to smell it on others...from a distance

I dont get any skank at all from it , I have a tiny bottle of parfum and its just a tuberose bomb with green , floral and neroli going on but no skank . Not sure how old my bottle is but its not in its latest incarnation

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks for the post. Yes, I am referring to the womens. I think they must have changed the formula, despite the guarantee on the box. It´s worse than any drugstore fragrance. I will look at your review. Thanks again.
    these guaranties are a ridiculous lie. i have smelled several bandit bottles with the same sticker. they were absolutely nothing alike! the two latest bandit formula's (especially the first of the two) do smell like bandit, but some others before (bearing this sticker) are a totally different fragrance altogether, bearing no resemblance to the original bandit (or the later formulas) whatsoever!! really, i myself could make something that smells closer to bandit in 5 minutes. it's that bad!

the thing is, the robert piquet line has changed ownership several times. trouble is, the new ones are very hard to tell from the slightly older really awful ones.. they come in the same bottles and packaging, as if nothing has changed. they all got reformulated many times. the current owner has taken some new perfumers (aurelien guichard is one of them) and has tried to restore several fragrances (including fracas) to some extend to it's former self. they did a decent job! so, go and try the new one, or if you can find it, the true vintage.
    Last edited by gido; 20th February 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    these guaranties are a ridiculous lie. i have smelled several bandit bottles with the same sticker. they were absolutely nothing alike! the two latest bandit formula's (especially the first of the two) do smell like bandit, but some others before (bearing this sticker) are a totally different fragrance altogether, bearing no resemblance to the original bandit (or the later formulas) whatsoever!! really, i myself could make something that smells closer to bandit in 5 minutes. it's that bad!
    Gido shares my rage at Bandit labeling; how do these both deserve the original formula sticker if only one of them smells like the original? Sadly, I'm stuck with one of the non-original "original formulas". Thanks, Givaudan/FFL.

The Piguet's from the 80s-mid 90s can be pretty rough, I think that was the Alfin ownership period. The new Fracas is quite good (my preference for Poison makes me feel like I'm betraying Germain Cellier).

You should consider the new Piguet, "Douglas Hannant". I've posted a review of it in the directory. Cheers!

I've read your review and you make it sound lemming-worthy! Can't wait to try it

Thumbs up Re: Fracas - Piquet - Government Health Warning !!

The current reformulations of FRACAS and BANDIT are fabulous and i still remember the smell of the vintage ( both were must have in my mom wardrobe )
    The David's bottle bought circa 1985 may be the vintage, but is the juice not ruined ?
    FRACAS is the best tuberose IMHO, and i absolutely tuberose and FRACAS.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

i don't know about fracas, but the original bandit was discontinued in the seventies.