Code of Conduct

Default looking for a new fougere

so i love green irish tweed, it is by far my favorite fragrance that i own. if i understand it correctly green irish tweed is considered a fougere? i just love the fresh note in it, i don't know what it is exactly but i wanted something similar.

can someone recommend a similar fragrance, not cool water please. i guess a modern fougere similar to green irish tweed.

Default Re: looking for a new fougere

According to fragrantica.com, GIT is a woody floral musk. If that's the case, my vote would be Canali Men. However, from the
    list of fougeres, I would vote for Cartier Roadster.

If a frag has a strong violet leaf note, I don't consider it a fougere. In order to answer your question, I'd need to know if you want a strong violet leaf along with the necessary fougere accord of lavender and tonka.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not the expert, but I think GIT is officially a "marine fougere", which isn't really the same as a proper fougere (a chypre with lavender on top).

My favorite marine fougere is Bond No. 9 Chez Bond.

Sadly, I still haven't found a favorite classic fougere...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

The thing about fougeres and chypres is that the notes that are essential generate a kind of harmony, similar to something like a fifth in music. The fougere requires lavender and tonka/coumarin, whereas the chypre requires bergamot, labdanum, and oakmoss. A frag could start out as a fougere and then have a chypre base, which I don't think is all that uncommon. Usually, fougeres created in the last 40 years or so have notes like a citrus on top, geranium in the middle, some spice in the top and/or middle, and oakmoss in the base, with a few other notes that sometimes show up. It's really the creamy lavender/tonka accord that is the "signature" of this kind of frag. Combine lavender with vanilla, for example, and you've got something that smells quite different, though tonka is often mistaken for vanilla by newbies.

As to GIT, fragrantica gives the notes as: "Top notes are iris and lemon verbena; middle notes are violet, vetiver and basil; base notes are amber and vanilla and cedar." If so, this is not a fougere at all (I tried it long ago as a newbie and hated it, so I haven't thought much about it since; I dislike violet leaf).

Post Thanks / Like

GIT was a jumping off point for me at one time. In the end I abandoned looking for 'another GIT' but the search itself was well worthwhile and broadened my horizons enormously. If you can get hold of samples you might give some of these of a shot and see if they, in turn, lead you in a direction that feels interesting:

Penhaligons English Fern
    MPG Garrigue
    Villoresi Yerbamate
    Amouage Ciel for Men
    L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe
    or even within the Creed stable Original Vetiver, which was my first port of call after GIT.

These were happy discoveries from my own explorations, Penhaligons is really the only true fougere listed (have a look at the Trumpers offerings too).

DeepSilence

Most of Fougeres that i know, are not fresh such as GIT. maybe Ferrari Black: Sweet, a little spicy, not bad but it's not very special too.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 3rd July 2010 at 04:25 AM.

A good example of a "non-fougere" that some might think of as a fougere is Carlos Santana for men. It's got strong lavender but with vanilla and is not tonka-dominant (if it has any at all). There are strong spices as well. However, my guess is that the violet leaf is registering in your mind as "fresh" (along with some other notes), so you should consider frags with strong violet leaf. I dislike this note so perhaps someone else could help out here.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If its about the distinct violet note, then:

Boucheron pour Homme EDT Fraicheur (2004)
    Boss Elements - Hugo Boss
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

From what I remember of it, I'd suggest Jovan Ginseng NRG.

For true classics, try Guerlain's Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur (Jean Paul Guerlain famously, if unfairly, said that these are the only good fougeres....all the rest are for truck drivers).

Azzaro PH: the reference aromatic fougere and a great frag. A wonderful example of how a '70s/'80s powerhouse can still be subtle and well structured.

Caron's 3rd Man: My favorite floral fougere and, like Azzaro PH, also a great bargain.

Flibustier

I absolutely adore Mouchoir de Monsieur and Jicky. Truly excellent fougeres. I do agree with J-P Guerlain. They are the best out there. And I will have little respect for Guerlain if they discontinue MdM or make it an exclusive.

My next step is to find a bottle of Jicky extrait for myself. I bought some for my mother last year for a mother's day gift. She never had a bottle of real parfum before. I honestly think I like it more than she does.

Have you tried Agua Lavanda Puig, though? It might be hard to find, but usually you can score a bottle for like 20 bucks or so on the Bay every once and awhile. I'm not so sure if it constitutes as a fougere, but it does have a nice lavender accord that is consistent with many fougeres.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Have you tried Sung Homme?

Post Thanks / Like

+ whatever for Jicky and MdM. Also have to add Cool Water Davidoff.

Post Thanks / Like

Narcisso Rodriguez 'for Him' has a nice violet leaf note. Bit more modern and certainly different to GIT. Well worth a try.
    Last edited by dnc; 4th July 2010 at 02:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Azzaro Pour Homme, Best Aromatic Fougere. Ever. If You like Violet notes, Grey Flannel

Grey Flannel might be right up your alley...a avery serious fragrance though....If you like something a little more cheerfull, be sure to check out Caronīs īLe troisieme homme`, canīt go wrong there.
    Knize Ten !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I certainly don't want to disagree with everyone here about Jicky and MDM, which truly are benchmark fougeres, but in answer to the original question, it's a HUGE stretch to say that if you love GIT that means you'd love Jicky.

GIT is a citrus/violet leaf aquatic that still smells modern. Jicky is centuries-old lavender and baby poo.

If I were Dixon and blind-bought a bottle of Jicky because people said it was like GIT, I'd be REALLY confused...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??