Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Sample Of The Day - July 2010

Today, i received some fabulous samples from a very kind BN 'oter friend !I first applied Eau de Soho by Bond 9!

Top notes are mandarin orange and lime (linden) blossom; middle notes are and violet; base notes are oakmoss, amber and vanilla and musk.

It is a wonderful floral with a dominating mimosa smell..it reminds me of yellow blossom trees!Nice one that i like wearing
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Rogalal, I love Pour Un Homme, and that flanker is on my to-try list. Where did you get your sample?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Rogalal, I love Pour Un Homme, and that flanker is on my to-try list. Where did you get your sample?
    They gave me one at the Caron boutique in NY. That's weird - I just googled it and it's hardly anywhere... Not even TPC yet. I figured it must be out now if they gave me the sample. Maybe try giving a call to the legendary Diane at the boutique and see if you can get her to send you one?
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Aedes hooked me up quite a bit, so the next month or two will be nonstop sampling. Today was L'Artisan's Dzongkha. My collection is boring and designer, so wearing this was definitely something new. The incense is wonderful, and the lichee and iris are really interesting. I'm not sure if this is something I'd wear a lot, but it's been fun to try, and I realize now that I have two 1.2 ml samples of the stuff, so I'll be wearing this quite a few times!

Blog Entries

Yesterday I wore Theirry Mugler Angel – Garden of Stars: Violet Angel.

I got this as a bonus in a sample trade and I’ve put off trying it for quite a while now. Honestly, I’ve never sampled the original Angel, but it has such a reputation as a super-sweet, loud, grotesque monster that I was scared of anything even remotely resembling it.

It turns out that my fears were largely unfounded.

Violet Angel went on with (duh) violets, over an interesting dirty, dusty, unsweet chocolate patchouli. Given a moment, some rose and lily came in, rounding out the floral aspect, while the dirty spiciness in the patchouli turned out to be a pinch of cumin.

And that’s most of what it did. Bright flowers over very dirty, cumin-dusted chocolate patchouli. While I really don’t like cumin, it actually worked in a really clever way as a counterpoint to the patchouli. My biggest gripe was actually about the flowers. Whatever aromachemicals they used reminded me more of a Glade Plug-In than a fine perfume. It’s sad. Violet Angel was clearly put together by a good, clever nose who knew what they were doing, but it ended up being undermined by its ingredient budget.

By the afternoon, a pretty standard vanilla base had come through, which felt a little basic after the interesting, well-thought-out heart.

All in all, though, I think Violet Angel is actually quite nice. I’m becoming quite a picky little snob, so things like overly-artificial floral notes bother me, but I have to admit that this is a really well-put-together perfume. And if you’ve avoided it because you thought it would be some sort of stanky too-sweet monstrosity, feel safe that it’s really more of an interesting dirty floral.

I can't smell anything right now because I have been sick for the past few days.

Prior to that, I spent several days revisiting some of my older samples in the hope that I might like them a bit more. The only findings of note have been:

-Czech & Speake's Dark Rose still has that plasticky off-note in the heart which detracts from an otherwise pleasantly-jammy rose with a minor saffron flourish (on my skin). The rose in No. 88 is a little too powdery-soapy for my tastes but I left this wearing more impressed with its development than before.

-Histoires des Parfums' men's range is pretty awesome. 1740 is the standout for me, with the enveloping warmth of its tobacco, leather, immortelle, and spices. Actually, I have been on the lookout for a FBW scent in the "handsome masculine" category, something between Chergui and the excellent Rochas Lui, drier than the former but less formal than the latter. 1740 comes pretty close but is perhaps a touch too dense for my liking. The real shame is that the line only comes in the 4.2 oz bottles, which retail at ~$190 each; pity, as I would consider snapping up the lot of them in 1.0 oz or 1.7 oz bottles. This also makes me a little hesitant to even bother trying the rose-based 1876 but I probably will, anyway.

-The drydown of CdG 2 Man is almost entirely Iso E Super, a material I now recognize from a mile off thanks to my Perfumer's Apprentice 5% dilution vial of the stuff. The molecule smells unquestionably great and it has deservedly made a lot of money for the blokes who created it, but I just find the stuff oppressively prosaic after prolonged exposure. It doesn't help that I prefer to smell this sort of thing, especially in the usual dry incense context, on passerby, rather than on myself. Will have to start playing around with some of the other Notes kit vials when I stop being ill.

-I wore a few sprays from my bottle of Shiseido's Feminite du Bois the other day and was nearly bowled over by the basenotes. Usually, I apply twice to the chest but I was feeling naughty that afternoon and went with four instead. A few hours later, an affecting soapy-cedar drydown snuck up on me in the moonlight on the way to my car. I thought a discerning woman must have just passed on up ahead but alas, it was only my fine self. The base has that elusive quality Luca Turin would call radiance--beauty and power minus the cry for attention--and smells like the best "dark" laundry-musk ever, which is fine by me, given that my favorite perfume, pound-for-pound, is AdP Colonia. The upshot of this new development is that FdB has gone from a fragrance I really liked and admired to one I love, full stop.

-Green Irish Tweed really is better than Cool Water. Not by a country mile but certainly by the breadth of a multi-acre plot. I can see why people for whom fragrance is a functional luxury rather than a hedonistic end will have some trouble spotting the difference between the two and even more issue with paying for it. Myself, I respect the sweet violet-leaf idea without wanting to smell like any of the genre so I'm not that fussed in any case.

-I went FB on Eau de Guerlain, which had been haunting me since I first smelled it at the Guerlain counter in Bergdorf's basement last month. The brilliant opening blast of half bergamot, half lemon only lasts two seconds but it represents the two most exciting seconds of fragrant bliss in the whole of my modest collection. I happen to melt in the presence of that curious note of caraway seed but I understand why it might turn-off some. An excellent, surprisingly-durable fresh drydown completes the party. Brilliant.

Diptyque's Vetyvero today. I've worn this at least three times before, and every time I love it more. I love the smell of vetiver, but I never want to wear something that is prominently vetiver. So the addition of rose in this scent smooths everything out and makes it wonderful. I have a good 3ml of this left at least, so I'll probably use it up by the end of the summer than remember what a great fragrance it is next spring and (teehee) spring for a bottle.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    [SIZE="4"][FONT="Garamond"]I can't smell anything right now because I have been sick for the past few days.

Prior to that, I spent several days revisiting some of my older samples in the hope that I might like them a bit more. The only findings of note have been:

-Czech & Speake's Dark Rose still has that plasticky off-note in the heart which detracts from an otherwise pleasantly-jammy rose with a minor saffron flourish (on my skin). The rose in No. 88 is a little too powdery-soapy for my tastes but I left this wearing more impressed with its development than before.
    Thank God I am not the only one who gets the plastic note !

Emlyn - I have been sick too - get better soon !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I was kindly given a sample of Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent studio!
    It is a unisex perfume with notes of amber, woods, spices, tobacco, leather, tonka, labdanum, patchouli, and vanilla. The opening is filled with the strong scents of Tobacco and Leather!Wonderful sillage that softens into more of tonka and amber vanillic notes!
    I find it quite strong on me !It is one perfume that i could hardly wear... not in summer days that is!
    I would like to try it once more in the first autumn days!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Blog Entries

It's been forever since I've worn Dark Rose, but I thought that plasticky note was an aspect of the oud...

Anyway, yesterday I wore Frapin 1270.

Seriously, I have the worst luck with BN favorites. It seems like every time I get a sample of some beloved obscure niche scent that all the more experienced noses here love, I always end up hating it...

On my skin, 1270 was basically a mix of sweet grape and vanilla amber. The grape note wasn't real-smelling - instead, it was that artificial grape soda note made famous by Poison in the 80's. It took a couple of hours for the faux-grape note to mesh with the gourmand amber, at which point, I could see how they were trying to create a cognac scent, but it really failed on my skin, with the sweet basenotes making the fake grape smell really syrupy, like someone made a pitcher of grape Kool-Aid with way too much sugar and purple powder and not enough water. And then poured it on themselves while wearing an amber perfume.

In the very background, at times, I could smell a pinch of anise trying to create the illusion of booze, and, late in the day after the grape had faded, I could smell a tiny bit of woods in with the vanilla amber. But at no point did I get the exotic spices and boozy woods and coffee and all the wonderful things promised in the notes.

Honestly, my skin tends to make gourmands waaaaaaaay sweeter (which is why I prefer my gourmands tempered with tobacco or woods), so it may very well just be me, or my reaction to that Poison grape note.

Oh well, every scent that fails on me is more money in my pocket, and more to go around for everyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    [SIZE="4"][FONT="Garamond"]-Histoires des Parfums' men's range is pretty awesome. 1740 is the standout for me, with the enveloping warmth of its tobacco, leather, immortelle, and spices.

The real shame is that the line only comes in the 4.2 oz bottles, which retail at ~$190 each; pity, as I would consider snapping up the lot of them in 1.0 oz or 1.7 oz bottles.
    The HdP line is available in 14ml bottles now - picked up a couple here recently

I had my first free afternoon in weeks and took a stroll, tried three new ones:

Six Scents Series One #2

There is thread nearby that mentioned this is composed by Lucas Sieuzac, who composed one my favourites, Reflection Man. I tried it and I'm afraid that while there is a novel sort of 'waft of air from the distant, and obviously very clean future', to me it was just a light calone + a touch of what I assume is a musk. I really like Lutens Eau so I'm up for 'non perfumey' simplicity but this left me cold,

Paco Rabane Tenere

I have seen this name pop up in a few recent threads where noteworthy 80s stuff is mentioned and found a bottle at one of the small hole in the walls I visit so I grabbed it - all of USD 20. I am getting my head around it. The opening is a bit rough, I am assuming the honey in the mix is giving it the slightly dirty growl amongst the greenery but that's fine - from my experience it's quite often the scents that take a few minutes to tuck their shirts in and sort themselves out that are the interesting ones. It has a floral / green mix going on and I like it. I have Insense and it took me a while to get to know that one so I look forward to familiarising myself with Tenere.

31 Rue de Cambon

I have Coromandel & Bois des Iles and every now and then like to check out another of Les Exclusifs. No. 19 and Sycomore are both terrific but not quite for me, so today it was 31. I'm pretty floored by this one - I walked away wondering what had hit me. I know Chanel well enough to feel it is in the same family as the ones I have but the denseness right out of the gate shot me into vintage Guerlain territory. It does feel like a rich chypre and it's beautiful - I could probably wear this - but I will need to adjust to the fact that the oakmoss it suggests should be there just is not! It was composed that way - an oakmoss-less chypre - probably wise given the fact you can't really feature it these days, but it's like seeing John McLaughlin, Chick Corea and Jack DeJohnnette on stage BUT NO BASS-PLAYER. I'll get used to it.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 31st July 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Memoire Liquide Reserve Encens Liquide
    "The memory of gently wafting ceremonial incense in Japan, soft smoke trailing its mysterious and sultry veil. Soft Amber Resin, White Musk, Black Tea and enchanting Hinoki Incense.” Or so the copy lines go.

But what the_? No incense, no black tea! And I know Shalimar when I smell it. I'm disappointed but I honestly think someone else got my Encens Liquide and I got her Shalimar. TPC must have syringed the wrong juice into the wrong bottle, or mixed up the labels. Either way, you'll be hearing from me soon, ladies!

Tokyo by Guerlain

Notes: green tea, jasmine, violet, Hinoki cypress

Well-blended lightly floral green tea with a hint of dark green. Pleasantly wearable & unisex but it smells vaguely familiar. Nothing to write home about, I guess. A little frankincense would do this one a world of good imho.

Lightbulb Re: Sample Of The Day - July 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    The HdP line is available in 14ml bottles now - picked up a couple here recently
    Good heavens, you're right. Miomia and Beauty Cafe both carry the Nomad kit, the latter outfit with a larger selection to choose from.

Ask and ye shall receive, eh? Thank you.

Blog Entries

Today I went out shopping and ended up wearing the upcoming L'Artisan Parfumeur Coeur de Vétiver Sacré.

I think this is going to be very big here...

My first thought on spraying it was "wow - this smells like Chergui!" It had that same mix of dried fruits and green herbs, heavy on the cardamom. What differentiated it was a big hit of bergamot, which gave it an Earl Grey tea feel when mixed with coriander. Deeper into the heart, there was a just a pinch of cumin in there, not really smelling sweaty, but more just keeping everything from getting too sweet and hinting at something leathery when paired with the incoming vetiver.

It took a while for the vetiver to finally push its way through. When it did, it was paired with rose geranium, which gave it the feeling of Encre Noire (but still very much mixing with the herbal notes and fruits from the topnotes).

That's about it. About 6-7 hours later, the sweetened, slightly leathery vetiver is still going.

This is kind of an oversimplification, but if you take Chergui, add bergamot, and take out all that sweet red berry stuff in the base and replace it with Encre Noire and a pinch of cumin funk, that's how Coeur de Vétiver Sacré has smelled on me today. If this makes it sound derivative, it really isn't - I've never smelled a vetiver scent that did this.

I'll probably wear it again tomorrow and see how my thoughts change when I'm not walking around all day in the heat... That being said, if they'd had bottles available for sale, I would have picked one up in a heartbeat.

Absolutely 5 stars.

Blog Entries

Despite my wanting to focus on Coeur de Vétiver Sacré, I also spot tested some Guerlains today, too.

One one side, I had Guerlain Bois d'Arménie.

How long could I resist the lure of Guerlain's take on incense? Actually, I've had a sample forever and never really cared for it, but it smelled so nice at the store I had to try a bit.

It basically wore its incense in its topnotes, smelling like a pleasant mix of benzoin and frankincense. It quickly faded to its heart, which was sweet, creamy sandalwood and some perfumey tonka. In the end, I prefer my incense scents harsh and smoky and manly. Bois d'Arménie is the exact opposite of that - it's creamy and curvy and feminine.

On the other side, I have Cuir Beluga.

To be honest, I never smelled any leather. It went on like a butterscotch gourmand, then faded to a powdery amber. If forced, I could imagine some of that soapy white musk in there hinting at something sort of suede-ish, but Cuir Beluga ended up on me as more of a gourmand amber.

Some random thoughts on stuff smelled on paper:

Nicole Miller, the new one: Peachy fruity floral. Meh, but they're giving it the big push at Saks.

Bleu de Chanel: Just awful. Aquatic "woody amber" dreck. It's the smell of walking into the Macy's mens store with all those cheap woody amber aquatics all mixing together. Just a chemical stew. Even the SA's (who, of course, know me) kind of shrugged it off. It'll make a lot more sense in the Sephora and the Macys than it does at the Neimans men's counter surrounded by Eau Noire and Duc du Verveins and all those Lutens...

CDG Wonderwood: Not quite what I expected - I'd guessed it would be primarily cedar and Iso E Super, but it's much more creamy and oud-ish and heavy on the sandalwood and gaiac. There's a bit of poopy funk lurking off in the distance, too.

Marc Jacobs Bang: Now this is exactly what I thought Wonderwood would smell like. A smokey cedar forest with a pinch of pine and vetiver, drowned in Iso E Super and encrusted with spicy black pepper. This very very much smells like a niche fragrance that would cost 3 times as much. While it's not really doing anything new to the woody incense formula except adding pepper, it's huge that someone is finally putting one of these out as a mainstream scent and giving it the huge push. I really hope it takes off, and I'll probably pick up a bottle when it hits the discounters (yes, I'm a cynic, but every mainstream frag reaches the discounters eventually...)

As a side note, I'm also surprised how much they're marketing this to gay men. The launch at Bloomingdales was this weekend and the now-infamous ad with the surprisingly-well-muscled naked Marc Jacobs was there, accompanied by a DJ playing gay house music and random shirtless muscle men dancing and handing out samples with "Bang!" painted on their chests. The gift if you purchased today? Your picture with the shirtless Bang boys!

Side note #2 - That Bang bottle is terrible, such a cheezy novelty. You'll understand when you see it, the way it's weirdly 3d and smashed in.

Honore de Pres Nu Green: I still can't figure this one out. Mossy but bright, with some sort of mysterious bright sweetness - it's supposed to be mint over cedar, but this doesn't smell like what I think that should. It's creamier, but still green and minty. Odd.

Acqua Di Parma Bergamotto di Calabria: I keep liking this one every time I smell it. Sure, it seems to be just a simplistic bergamot cologne splash, but so few scents dare to do full on bergamot and it's such a pleasant smell...

Byredo, the new-ish tulip one: Like a cheap "floral" aerosol room spray or something they'd scent a cleaning product with and call it a "spring garden" scent or something like that. Resoundingly cheap and fake-smelling.

Clive Christian "C" for Men: All the SA's in town are being catty, making fun of how much C for Men smells like Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather. On paper, they're certainly right, but with a blast of dark peppery herbs on top.

On the other side, I have Cuir Beluga.

To be honest, I never smelled any leather. It went on like a butterscotch gourmand, then faded to a powdery amber. If forced, I could imagine some of that soapy white musk in there hinting at something sort of suede-ish, but Cuir Beluga ended up on me as more of a gourmand amber.
    I've found almost all of O. Polge's scents to turn into this, even when the notes list and ad copy would suggest otherwise. For instance, Kenzo Power and F Black by Ferragamo both have strong ties back to sections of Dior Homme. Even D&G's The One also has that right-on-the-verge-of-being-too-sweet iris/ionone/amber accord that seems to be Polge's stylistic trademark. IMO, it worked in Dior Homme but not the offshoots.

Anyhow, do you see similarities (perhaps obvious, perhaps distant) between Cuir Beluga and Dior Homme?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Anyhow, do you see similarities (perhaps obvious, perhaps distant) between Cuir Beluga and Dior Homme?
    You know, I just finally got a sample of Dior Homme and I still haven't tried it - I'll have to break it open tomorrow...

Anyway, to catch up, on Friday I knew I'd be alone in the office, so I thought it would be fun to wear something utterly loud and obnoxious that I could normally never get away with, so I picked Montale Oud Queen Rose.

Three sprays of this and I was reeking to high heaven of roses, mostly, with violets to give them a dewy green character, some ylang to make it more "perfumey", and of course, oud.

In the pantheon of oud/rose scents I've tried now, I'd say this is a bit more on the floral side. Montale's house oud is notoriously medicinal and plasticky in the topnotes, but there were enough flowers in Oud Queen Rose to obscure that and keep things cleaner.

By about lunch time, the rose essential oils started to lighten up, leaving room for a soapy, lightly powdery base to come in, which also helped obscure the funkiness of the oud.

In the end, I think Oud Queen Rose is kind of an oud apologist. The oud is always present, but never takes center stage, leaving the flowers to be the stars. That being said, if you don't like oud, you still probably won't like this - it's just there for people who sort of like oud a little, if it's not that strong...

Blog Entries

By Friday evening, Oud Queen Rose had settled down to a powdery, lightly oudy patch on my skin, so I figured I'd rev things up again with another obnoxiously loud rose scent, Bond No. 9 Harrods Rose.

Holy crap - this shit is loud...

Two sprays had me reeling. It was a sweet tea rose with a pinch of strawberry in the silage and a touch of jammy patchouli making things a little darker when I smelled my arm. But with the volume on everything turned up to 11.

It was linear and very long-lasting. It was still threatening to choke me in my sleep when I finally went to bed and I woke up occasionally in the night getting huge wafts of it. In the morning, my sheets and pillows reeked of strawberry-tinged rose and it took some serious loofah time in the shower to make it go away.

In theory, this massive silage and longevity is what some people here look for, but this just wasn't pleasant. Rose isn't supposed to behave like this. Like in Oud Queen Rose, actual rose essential oils evaporate and fade after a few hours, no matter how strong they are. Harrods Rose, on the other hand, was clearly made from some sort of rose-flavored chemical mix (in addition to its unnatural longevity, you could smell this - it was more like a rose-scented Glade room freshener than an actual rose).

With a very light application (like half a spray), I could probably enjoy Harrods Rose for what it is. And it would probably make way more sense in a very very hot humid climate, the kind of weather that eats and spits out normal EDTs.