Code of Conduct

Default Must Try Fragrances

I just wanted to know which fragrances you guys would recommend as ones which must be tried.

Fragrances that may be able to greet newcomers and entice them into the fragrance world, or completely oddball fragrances which are awesome (to you) and underrated.

Pretty much any fragrances you love and would recommend to the amateur BNers, the knowledgeable BNers and the downright ''fume heads'. Give reasons too.

(p.s I will be planning on sampling all mentioned fragrances)

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Must Try Fragrances

Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Aqua Di Gio by Giorgio Armani
    Cool Water by Davidoff
    Fahrenheit by Christian Dior
    Rochas Man
    Corduroy by Zirh
    Roadster by Cartier

These may be a good starting point.

The two new Guerlains for men: Arsene Lupin Le Dandy and Arsene Lupin The Rascal. (One is a leather/violet and the other is a woody/spice scent.) These are the latest releases and should be out in a few weeks.

Any new Guerlain release is at least worth a try.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th June 2010 at 10:52 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Nejma V

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nejma V
    Good choice ! Want to add Farenehit Absolute - Scent 79 Man - Mazzolari Lui - Cadjmere for a start.

Post Thanks / Like

This is sort of just a "top 5," but not exactly -- more like five selected from my top 10 based on what I think is especially accessible or illumating for a newcomer to try. (ELdO's Fat Electrician might have made this list if petruccijc hadn't already suggested it...)

Different Company – Sublime Balkiss
    Maybe my #1 these days, I love it for its juicy clarity and its wonderfully smooth drydown.

Histoires de Parfums – Noir Patchouli
    This one brings to mind a glossy bar of bittersweet dark chocolate but steers clear of gourmand territory thanks to musky and floral notes.

L’Artisan Parfumeur – Nuit de Tubereuse
    A vibrant white floral, balanced between green and creamy.

Parfum d’Empire – Cuir Ottoman
    A splendid example of a fragrance that evolves as you wear it, with floral, leather, and vanilla facets that emerge and recede.

Serge Lutens – Arabie
    "Dry" can mean the opposite of wet or the opposite of sweet. Arabie is both kinds of dry and all kinds of wonderful.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 1st July 2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Post Thanks / Like

I frequently say the foundations of a men's scent understanding can be gotten by smelling the men's scents from Guerlain, Caron, Chanel, Dior, and Hermes. With those classics understood by the nose, most everything else can be intelligently evaluated.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I could list plenty here, not because they're necessarily the best in their genre, but because they are classic examples thereof, so let's have a crack:

Fougeres:
    Azzaro pour Homme Azzaro - A great example of a macho, aromatic fougere, and still widely available some 30 years after its release. A great example of an 80s frag, and a fougere
    Rive Gauche pour Homme YSL - A much more modern, cleaner take on the fougere theme than Azzaro
    Cool Water Davidoff - A hugely popular scent, which links fougeres to....
    Aquatics:
    Acqua di Gio Armani - love it or hate it, this is many people's first and only fragrance, and made men's mainstream perfumery what it is today
    Orientals:
    L'Instant de Guerlain Guerlain
    Fumurie Turque Serge Lutens
    Envy for Men Gucci
    Three very different orientals, try them all, see the commonalities and differences, and see if they float your boat.
    Chypres
    Mitsouko Guerlain - pretty much the smell I think of when I think of a chypre, still loved by many

Ok, so these aren't families on their own, but whatever :P They're common notes/themes
    Vetivers
    Vetiver Guerlain - pretty much considered the reference vetiver by which all other vetivers are judged, with its bright citrus top, pepper and vetiver heart and tobacco base.
    Vetyver Givenchy - a much cleaner, vetiver-heavy composition
    Others which I haven't tried but I intend to soon:
    Fat Electrician by ELd'O, Vetiver Oriental by Lutens, Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle - all very different takes on vetiver

Citrus
    Eau/Concentree d'Orange Verte Hermes - an orange-blossom scent, gorgeous
    Colonia Acqua di Parma - a classic citrus top, the archetypal Eau de Cologne

Oud
    M7 YSL - a very sweet take on oud
    Oud 27 Le Labo - some people describe it as barnyard, it makes me think of old books
    anything by Montale - again, I haven't tried these, but do need to at some point soon.

Patchouli
    Givenchy Gentleman - very patch- heavy scent. Not my favourite take on patch, but many love it
    Borneo 1834 Lutens - Patchouli and chocolate, not quite gourmand, but my favourite patchouli based scent.

These are the most 'must try' frags I can think of off the top of my (comparatively inexperienced) head. I know I will have missed some categories, some notes/themes and some scents that people can't imagine having left off, but I'll leave that for other people to suggest

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow - 10 responses - and no mention of Creed!! What's happened to us?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I frequently say the foundations of a men's scent understanding can be gotten by smelling the men's scents from Guerlain, Caron, Chanel, Dior, and Hermes. With those classics understood by the nose, most everything else can be intelligently evaluated.
    Wow. Succinctly put.

In that spirtit, I'll toss out Habit Rouge, L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme, Third Man, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Antaeus, Dior Homme, Eau Savage, Terre D'Hermes.

As a couple of personal favorites, though one will be hard to obtain, Vintage Tabarome and Royal English Leather.

Some that I like that seem to get a lot of traction: Rive Gauche Pour Homme, M7, Kouros, Rose 31, Black Oud, VC&A Pour Homme, Versace L'Homme, L'Ombre Fauve.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 1st July 2010 at 03:10 AM.

DeepSilence

Must De Cartier
    Aqua Di Gio
    A*Man
    Drakkar Noir
    Kouros
    Opium
    Curve for men
    Serge Lutens Sultan
    Sauvage
    Gucci Envy
    M7
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 1st July 2010 at 03:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Holy cow - 10 responses - and no mention of Creed!! What's happened to us?!
    He's already got GIT and MI which would probably be the top two suggestions.

He should sniff VT and REL imo. Scents like that will be extinct soon enough.

I'm going to add a few things to Mondrain's list:

Oriental: Chergui, Idole, L'air du Desert Marocain, Shalimar
    Musk: Musc Kublai Khan, Musc Ravageur
    Vanilla: Un Bois Vanille, Double Spiritueuse Vanille, Tobacco Vanille
    Citrus: Orange Sanguine, Bois Blond, Monsieur Balmain
    Amber: Ambre Sultan, Ambre Narguille
    Incense: Avignon, Kyoto, Bois d'Armenie,
    Woodsy/Herbal: Chene, Artek: Standard, Nightscape, Italian Cypress, Sel de Vetiver, Sycomore
    Tea: Bvlgari pour Homme Soir, Un The pour L'ete, 5 O'clock au Gingimbre, Jade (Olivier Durbano), Osman Yunnan
    Floral: Ungaro II, Zino, Black Aoud, No. 88, Comme des Garcons 2, Coromandel
    Green: Grey Flannel, Chanel No. 9

Egoiste Platinum, Chanel
    Reasons: It is one that can be a chameleon depending on certain factors.

Clive Christian (anything, but I suggest X or No. 1)
    Reasons: So you can say you've sampled one of the most expensive (uhhh...overpriced) fragrances. That way, it won't be a mysterious temptation and you'll never think you always get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    He's already got GIT and MI which would probably be the top two suggestions.

He should sniff VT and REL imo. Scents like that will be extinct soon enough.
    classic vetiver will be extinct

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Etat Libre d'Orange Fat Electrician
    Where can I find this?

Post Thanks / Like

Azzaro pH -- This is the 70's and 80's of men's fragrances basically, BOTTLED, others like Polo and Drakkar Noir are great, but ApH is absolutely amazing, perfectly made, perfectly balanced, extremely masculine, and a must try whether you like "projection monsters" or not.
    Fahrenheit -- Before hitting its flankers, you gotta try the original. One of the most unique fragrances ever. Mass marketer and hot seller since 88. Fahrenheit brings out a dirty dark side in the fragrance yet still maintains its appeal. Some love it , some hate it, but if you overlook this bad boy, you're missing out on a real surprise.
    Cool Water -- Ya, ya, it's got some hate. Which to this day I still don't understand how anyone can be offended by it. Perhaps they're just tired of seeing, it hearing it, or smelling it. Cool Water isn't going anywhere, not anytime soon. One of the most known designer fragrances ever, made for a man, but many women wear this too. Very versatile, and a must try for everyone, any age, any sex.
    Burberry London -- Whether you get that smell associate with Christmas, or you get figs, fig leaf, tree bark, and soft florals as I do; London is a beauty. Beautiful bottle, beautiful juice, smells like a far more expensive niche fragrance. There's a very good reason why this is many peoples "number 1".
    Corduroy -- Fantastic, sweet and spicy unique blend that's quite versatile and loved by almost everybody. Very inexpensive as well. I can almost guarantee this being a safe blind buy whether you like 80's frags, gourmands, celeb scents or chypres.
    Joop! -- There I said it. But, I feel this is a must try for everyone, just to get that grin on your face when you see how one spray lights up a room with that synthetic "candy-ness".
    Le Male -- Need I say more?
    Noir de Noir -- One word. Beautiful.
    Honorable mentions -- Philosykos, Tam Dao, TdH, Drakkar Noir, Tobacco Vanille, John Varvatos, AdG, Lolita Lempicka, Gucci pH II, The Dreamer.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 1st July 2010 at 06:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    Where can I find this?
    Luckyscent.com mate
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Post Thanks / Like

Just a few specific names to drop into the mix:

Lavender.
    Caron Pour Un Homme
    Jicky
    Guerlain Eau de Cologne du Coq
    Nicolai Pour Homme
    Lutens Gris Clair
    A Taste of Heaven by Kilian

Others:

MPG Santal Noble
    MFK APOM Pour Homme (Orange Flower)
    Idole de Lubin (Boozy Spicy)
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 1st July 2010 at 06:56 AM.

Patchouli:
    Fendi Uomo
    Krizia Moods for Men

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Spice, you can`t ignore Frapin Caravelle Epicee. That`s a must try!

Post Thanks / Like

Burberry London
    Bleecker Street
    Costume National 21
    Parfums du Nicolaï - New York
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Post Thanks / Like

Three underrated, less expensive strongos:
    Rochas Lui
    Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme
    Bogart Pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Quasar Jesus del Pozo.

Post Thanks / Like

Good intro scents that WON'T break a starter budget:

English Leather: leather
    Grey Flannel: violet fougere/masculine floral
    Quorum: tobacco, powerhouse
    Florida Water: traditional Eaux de Cologne

Three that haven't been mentioned yet:

Knize Ten: Whether you end up loving it or hating it, this reference leather is an incredible classic. IMO nothing else is quite like it. Then again, I'm in the "love it" camp.

Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain: One of the most interesting niche perfumers working today, Andy Tauer's also an incredibly generous person, so I always feel good about supporting his work (check out his blog if you haven't yet). He makes many wonderful frags, but this is his unquestionable masterpiece, IMO. Incense, spices, amber, yet somehow very dry. Already a classic and a great intro to niche perfumes.

Vero Profumo Onda (extrait): If you want to know why some people (not me, I should add, as I don't have the earning power) spend unbelievable amounts of money on ultra-niche perfumes, there are worse places to start than this one. A very skanky vetiver that smells like nothing else I've ever experienced (though it's said to resemble Guerlain's long-discontinued Djedi). Absolutely stunning. If you don't want to spend an arm-and-a-leg on a sample, buy something else from Luckyscent and request a sample of this. Luckily, it's so spendy that I can't even waste time thinking about buying it. Unluckily, Vero Kern is coming out with EdPs of her entire line, the prices for which ought to be just low enough that I'll waste time toying with the idea of shelling out for it.
    Last edited by PhinClio; 1st July 2010 at 12:28 PM.

DeepSilence

I agree The_colognist for Joop. everyone should try it.
    i want to add more : Hugo(m): Synthetic and crap base. But everyone should try it. IMO it has unique top and middle.

Fahrenheit,

Aramis Devin or JaZz: these are kind of frangrances you should try them and know them. Both of them are similar IMO. But I prefer Devin

go to saks 5th and try all the creeds and you will find at least 1 that you will go gaga for.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    I'm going to add a few things to Mondrain's list:

Oriental: Chergui, Idole, L'air du Desert Marocain, Shalimar
    Musk: Musc Kublai Khan, Musc Ravageur
    Vanilla: Un Bois Vanille, Double Spiritueuse Vanille, Tobacco Vanille
    Citrus: Orange Sanguine, Bois Blond, Monsieur Balmain
    Amber: Ambre Sultan, Ambre Narguille
    Incense: Avignon, Kyoto, Bois d'Armenie,
    Woodsy/Herbal: Chene, Artek: Standard, Nightscape, Italian Cypress, Sel de Vetiver, Sycomore
    Tea: Bvlgari pour Homme Soir, Un The pour L'ete, 5 O'clock au Gingimbre, Jade (Olivier Durbano), Osman Yunnan
    Floral: Ungaro II, Zino, Black Aoud, No. 88, Comme des Garcons 2, Coromandel
    Green: Grey Flannel, Chanel No. 9
    This is a s o l i d list.

I'll add Tea for Two to "Tea", Felanilla and Vanille Aoud to "Vanilla", Fille en Aiguilles to "Woodsy", Ambre Russe to "Amber", Hiris to "Floral", and most importantly, L'Ombre Fauve to "Musk".
    Last edited by MFJ; 1st July 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just gonna give you a "hit list" so to say, something that will enable you to partake in conversations regarding some of the biggest scents on Basenotes.

Le Labo Rose 31
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Montale Black Aoud
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (For a good reference vetiver)
    Comme de Garcons Series 3: Kyoto
    Comme de Garcons 2Man
    Guerlain Double Spiritueuse Vanille,
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 1st July 2010 at 10:42 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

My list would be:
    Villoresi Uomo
    Opium pour homme Edp
    Annick Goutal Sables
    C&S no.88
    Terre d'Hermes
    Patou Prive
    CDG Kyoto
    Tobacco vanille
    L'occitane vetyver
    Penhaligons Racquets
    Penhaligons Castile

Thanks everyone some really good stuff here, will look forward to trying most of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would advise that Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier is a must a must try. A life without this fragrance is not well spent.

Dear funraiser -- Creed is sooooo overated and soooooo overpriced. Really, don't you think so? It should not be the arbiter of fragrances. Sorry.

I tried Knize and Chanel Cuir de Russie together. Very small amounts but what a punch. Ladies and men said

what are you wearing? In a nice way!

In my opinion, first try the popular fragrances. There were a few that defined the 80's and 90's. Try Polo, Drakkar Noir, Cool Water, and CK Eternity. That is a good start.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Always try the classics from each decade, a good start would be the 1930s.

Post Thanks / Like

You might as well try the ones made by noses that blended fragrances nowadays considered classics. You will realize there are many feminine scents among their creations, you might as well discard them and focus in masculines, or try them all, including the feminines that are well regarded as well as worn by men (for example, Shalimar, Mitsouko, etc.).

This is the number one reference when it comes to classics: Edmond Roudnitska: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...ond+roudnitska

Carlos Benaim: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...=carlos+benaim
    Ernest Beaux: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...r=ernest+beaux
    Ernest Daltroff: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...rnest+daltroff - Chances are you might not like Chanel N° 5, but at least you will have an idea what aldehydes are...
    Gerard Anthony: Azzaro pour Homme, Courreges pour Homme...
    Jacques Guerlain: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...cques+guerlain
    Jacques Polge: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...=jacques+polge
    Jean Laporte: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...r=jean+laporte I have to admit I am not familiar with his creations but many of them are continuously praised by experts as well as newcomers.
    Jean Paul Guerlain: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...+paul+guerlain
    Michel Roudnitska Same as Laporte's, not familiar with him but his creations are always well critized:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...hel+roudnitska
    Pierre Bourdon: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...pierre+bourdon
    Rosendo Mateu: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...=rosendo+mateu
    Last edited by Pollux; 4th July 2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Addition

How would you introduce stinky/dirty notes to a newcomer? I would think directing a beginner straight at Musc Ravageur would be counter productive!