Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Define "niche?"

the midwest: where cows have been outnumbering people since 1817

Default Re: Define "niche?"

Niche = redonkulous expensive

Currently binging on roses.... Jo Malone, you dirty bitch. You too, Stella McCartney.

Quote Originally Posted by meowmo View Post
    Niche = redonkulous expensive
    No. Niche = not backed by a fashion house. Prices may tend toward the expensive but not always. (See: Slumberhouse).

niche = something that urges you to scratche

Quote Originally Posted by Hey.its.me View Post
    niche = something that urges you to scratche
    The seven year niche. What a biche.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    The seven year niche. What a biche.
    Don't y'all start stopping me bakin' a quiche

Default Re: If Tom Ford Private Blend is considered niche, then...

Whatever they might make on the side is certainly not going down the runway at Fashion Week.

Tom Ford on the other hand...
    Great link, Brian. Whatever Tom Ford's fragrance presents (a have many of them), bespoke will never be seen on the runway, as this is ready-to-wear. We'd need a peek inside the private fitting rooms of these bespoke companies, or at least be a fly on the wall. I understand Tom Ford does have a bespoke service.

The business side of the house also affects us consumers. I'm never going to find Mona di Orio's Oud marked down to $20 at Marshalls. I can however find Tom Ford Private Blend. The smaller batches that niche companies typically produce often translate to higher prices and availability hurdles. They are not things by which we judge the juice, but they do enter into the conversation about how and whether we might acquite them. So I don't think it's an irrelevant distinction.

It is however pretty useless to draw an arbitrary line around a price point and say, "anything beyond this is niche." That makes the distinction worthless.

I think some consumer awareness affects our buying at some point. Good point about Mona de Orio (God rest her soul). The lines for many definitions are vague and grey.

My consumer awareness takes into account the fragrance itself, the bottle and presentation, the price, and the bankrolling behind the brand, but also the marketing. I dislike fake, made-up histories that perfume companies conjure up with embellished stories about royalty and nobility and their so-called romances.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    Don't y'all start stopping me bakin' a quiche
    A friend of mine used to work for Netflix customer service, and she fielded many questions on the subject of the queue. Most entertaining were the numerous ways in which people tried to pronounce it, including my favorite: KWEE-chee. A woman actually called Netflix and asked, "How many things can I fit in my queechy?"

A friend of mine used to work for Netflix customer service, and she fielded many questions on the subject of the queue. Most entertaining were the numerous ways in which people tried to pronounce it, including my favorite: KWEE-chee. A woman actually called Netflix and asked, "How many things can I fit in my queechy?"
    Well it would depend on the capacity of her cache of course heh heh heh
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Tom Ford Private Blend marked down to $20 at Marshall's? I think not. Maybe $50.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Question What are the different of Designer, Luxe, and Niche ?

I am kind of understand what Designer and Niche mean, but what is Luxe means ? Could you please give me exsample of Luxe ?

Thanks.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare

Niche = Expensive, Limited, attracts fanboy's similar to hipsters and apple users who look down on others

Thoughts, Pretty accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by mike59271 View Post
    Niche = Expensive, Limited, attracts fanboy's similar to hipsters and apple users who look down on others

That says more about you than it does anyone who likes niche scents.

When used as the opposite of "designer," it is nothing more than a business term signifying that a company makes primarily fragrances and is not backed by a major fashion house or other design concern. The term encompasses large, well-established brands like Guerlain, Creed, and Bond No. 9 as well as much smaller made-it-in-my-basement type of operations. It has no significance relative to fragrance quality (i.e., there are heaps of bad niche scents just as there are heaps of bad designer scents).

That says more about you than it does anyone who likes niche scents.

When used as the opposite of "designer," it is nothing more than a business term signifying that a company makes primarily fragrances and is not backed by a major fashion house or other design concern. The term encompasses large, well-established brands like Guerlain, Creed, and Bond No. 9 as well as much smaller made-it-in-my-basement type of operations. It has no significance relative to fragrance quality (i.e., there are heaps of bad niche scents just as there are heaps of bad designer scents).
    Agreed on the technical side of the definition. But, there definitely is a tendency for people to think designer is inferior to niche simply based on limited quantity and price...just sayin'

Default Re: what is niche perfumes?

Quote Originally Posted by baiesbaby View Post
    check out another thread....

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1140442649

Aside from the rise...
    Wow. That was annoying and completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by mike59271 View Post

Since Apple is now the largest company in the world, categorising it’s fans as niche seems incongruous, though it was certainly the IT equivalent of a niche player once, it is no-longer.

I categorise myself as ‘tiny niche’ and I note that my prices are no higher than most designer fragrances and while I encourage my customers to value the exclusivity that comes with buying from a small player, I don’t see any value in looking down on anything else.

On the contrary I aspire to create fragrances as great as some of those from the big houses.
    Battle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise..”
    ― David Bowie

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I categorise myself as ‘tiny niche’ ....
    Oh do you, do you really? Is that all of you or just parts?

I love it - so funny

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Oh do you, do you really? Is that all of you or just parts?

I love it - so funny
    Just my income I think . . .
    Battle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise..”
    ― David Bowie

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Blog Entries

Default Niche?

To me a niche fragrance is a house that sells only fragrances and nothing else i.e. Chanel,Tom Ford & Christian Dior sells clothing,handbags,belts & shoes as well which I consider a designer scent. Your thoughts please.

Banned

Default Re: Niche?

I agree with you.

A niche House is distinguishable from a designer, by the very fact that its mission and/or the purpose for its existence is the creation of perfumes.

Once an additional product line is involved, it is a designer House.

Any consideration of quality is a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    A niche House is distinguishable from a designer, by the very fact that its mission and/or the purpose for its existence is the creation of perfumes.
    This

This is all meaningless semantics but, for what it's worth, I disagree with all of you.

"Niche" and "Designer" are not exclusive and they do not cover the entire perfume market.

Niche means it's intended for a specialized market. The opposite of niche is not "designer" - it is "consumer", or "mass-market".

Dior, Tom Ford, and Chanel are all designer brands with both mass-market perfumes and niche lines.

Some designer brands produce only mass-market perfumes, such as Polo, YSL, Givenchy, and Mugler.

Guerlain is a fragrance and cosmetics company with a line of mass market perfumes and several niche lines.

Some perfume brands produce only niche products, such as Serge Lutens, Amouage, ELDO, MPG, etc.

That's how I see it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    This is all meaningless semantics but, for what it's worth, I disagree with all of you.

"Niche" and "Designer" are not exclusive and they do not cover the entire perfume market.

Niche means it's intended for a specialized market. The opposite of niche is not "designer" - it is "consumer", or "mass-market".

Dior, Tom Ford, and Chanel are all designer brands with both mass-market perfumes and niche lines.

Some designer brands produce only mass-market perfumes, such as Polo, YSL, Givenchy, and Mugler.

Guerlain is a fragrance and cosmetics company with a line of mass market perfumes and several niche lines.

Some perfume brands produce only niche products, such as Serge Lutens, Amouage, ELDO, MPG, etc.

That's how I see it.
    Doesn't Polo & YSL produce clothes and accessories as well? With concerns to fragrances only, many might reason that niche equates to quality; in that greater attention to detail has been given to the construction of the perfume, and that components are of the highest calibre. Many prefer to pay top-dollar for the privilege of not smelling like someone's ex-boyfriend, or brother or aunt.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 21st September 2012 at 08:25 PM.

That's how I see it.
    I agree. Never understood why people think fragrances from design houses can't be called niche. For example, I think Knize Ten is niche designer. And does Ormonde Jayne fail the "niche" test because they also do candles?!

I agree with Rubegon, because I, personally,
    consider both Lex Exclusifs and La Collection
    Privée niche - made by designer houses!

Niche is a confusing term indeed!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 21st September 2012 at 10:04 PM.

I am writing a thesis on this topic. Technically, your thoughts on the definition are correct. However, I have found that the greatest number of people associate NICHE with strange or unique scents more than they do with the size or type of products they sell outside of fragrances alone.

I personally consider Comme Des Garcons a MAJOR player in the Niche category, however they are by definition very much a designer house and Guerlain seems to be less NICHE to me, where as they are by definition more niche technically.

To ME; NICHE ~ Small and/or strange/unique

Blog Entries

Damn, I'm starting to disagree with myself I have no backbone
    Last edited by silverbullet; 21st September 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    There's so much misuse of the terms, that's become the accepted definition by most. You could argue that meaning is defined by usage. The niche/designer way of categorizing perfumes is one of my pet peeves, right up there with my fellow Americans calling all men's perfumes "cologne". I know I'm fighting a losing battle on that one, but I'm not giving up.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There's so much misuse of the terms, that's become the accepted definition by most. You could argue that meaning is defined by usage. The niche/designer way of categorizing perfumes is one of my pet peeves, right up there with my fellow Americans calling all men's perfumes "cologne". I know I'm fighting a losing battle on that one, but I'm not giving up.
    The Niche/Designer way of categorizing perfumes is a pet peeve of mine also.....And You are correct.....Not all Men's Perfume is Cologne.....
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Or perhaps your views are just evolving

restricted and costly, sometimes richer, sometimes plain marketing with no substance
    Last edited by Francolino; 21st December 2012 at 10:05 AM.
    "...all the animals come out at night........"