Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Do you gentlemen ever bother to purchase or use the aftershave, shower gel or deo stick

that the manufacturer/designer also offer in your favorite scent?

Do you ever go with just the deodorant stick, like me, for going to the gym?

Do you believe the deodorant sticks fail at projecting your favorite scent?

Are there any shower gels/washes that you feel are good enough alone?

Finally, in general, is there a great difference in aftershave's and cologne's potency.

Default Re: Do you gentlemen ever bother to purchase or use the aftershave, shower gel or deo stick

Do you ever go with just the deodorant stick, like me, for going to the gym? NO

Do you believe the deodorant sticks fail at projecting your favorite scent? MOSTLY YES, ENHANCES

Are there any shower gels/washes that you feel are good enough alone? NO, USE THEM TO ENHANCE THE SCENT

Finally, in general, is there a great difference in aftershave's and cologne's potency. DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU MEAN. DO YOU MEAN AFTER SHAVE VS "EAU DE COLOGNE" OR ARE YOU USING "COLOGNE" AS A GENERIC REFERENCE TO ANYTHING MEN'S SCENT THAT ISN'T CLASSIFIED AFTER SHAVE? I USE MOSTLY EdT AND EdP STRENGTH SCENTS.

EAU DE COLOGNE IS SLIGHTLY STRONGER THAN AFTER SHAVE. EAU DE TOILETTE HAS HIGHER CONCENTRATION OF SCENT THAN BOTH. EAU DE PARFUM IS HIGHER CONCENTRATION THAN ALL.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 4th July 2010 at 01:53 AM.

Default Re: Do you gentlemen ever bother to purchase or use the aftershave, shower gel or deo stick

If I really like the scent I will go with the deo stick and shower gel but never the aftershave - I really don't know many guys my age that use aftershave unless you have skin of steel....

I cant stand scented deodorants or bodywashes...they mess with my natural scent.
    A fragrance blends with my natural scent.

Btw

check out Anthony Logistics Deodorant.
    Its a great smelling deodorant but its not strong and u wont smell it unless u smell your arm pits.
    It is alcohol and aluminium free (alum' is what leaves yellow stains on shirts)

Never.

I picked up the shower gel of one of my favorite scents, Reflection Man by Amouage, and would surely buy the deodorant too, if it existed!

I would only purchase the matching toiletries if it was both a favorite scent and one I wore regularly. They aren't necessary, but are nice to have.

The Fleur du Male shower gel is strong enough to be a weak standalone scent. It's nice to use just that on days where I'm in the mood for FdM, but where the EdT would be too strong.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I picked up the shower gel of one of my favorite scents, Reflection Man by Amouage, and would surely buy the deodorant too, if it existed!

I would only purchase the matching toiletries if it was both a favorite scent and one I wore regularly. They aren't necessary, but are nice to have.

The Fleur du Male shower gel is strong enough to be a weak standalone scent. It's nice to use just that on days where I'm in the mood for FdM, but where the EdT would be too strong.

I didn`t even know that a Amouage Reflection Man showergel exist.. Where can I buy that one?
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 4th July 2010 at 07:43 PM.

Blog Entries

To be quite honest I do not use after shave. Seems to me that the money is better spent on EDT or EDP strength fragrance.

It would be quite a costly and intricate, but ultimately worthwhile, endeavor to purchase the whole grooming range marketed along with some of my favorite frags

But I do like to use unscented after shave balms and deodorants, as well as nearly neutrally smelling soaps and shower gels, to interfere as little as possible with the fragrance which I am about to wear

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    If I really like the scent I will go with the deo stick and shower gel but never the aftershave - I really don't know many guys my age that use aftershave unless you have skin of steel....
    I use EdT as aftershave!

I often try deodorants that match my favorite scents. Most of them are very mild versions of the EdT or EdC.

I like bar soap much more than shower gels. Some are better than the original fragrances. The bar soaps of Eternity for Men and Contradiction for Men are both very nice. Roger Gallet bar soaps are so good that I usually start with the soap, and then later buy the EdT.

I really don't like using fragrance products for anything other than a fragrance. If I want a deodorant, I use an actual deodorant that is specifically designed for combating perspiration or odour. Likewise I tend to use shower products that doesn't damage the skin or whatever, and I don't have insane facial hair so I never use aftershave anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Totally agree.

I try to get the whole product line, if available, for all my fragrances.

I do use certain deo sticks.....I prefer the After Shave Balm (Baume) over the After Shave!!!
    Gary

No, unless they're included in a gift set. I think it's way too overpriced to purchase separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I didn`t even know that a Amouage Reflection Man showergel exist.. Where can I buy that one?
    I've only ever seen it at Beauty Encounter. 10 ounces for $55 is a great deal, imo, as that is cheaper per ounce than most designer shower gels if purchased at retail.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Thanks gents, it's always good to get some other viewpoints!

I can't do without after shave balms. Paul Smith Story's after shave balm is one of my favorites.

I've only ever seen it at Beauty Encounter. 10 ounces for $55 is a great deal, imo, as that is cheaper per ounce than most designer shower gels if purchased at retail.
    I think it has been discontinued now

I was crazy enough in the past to buy a few overpriced frag matching deodorant sticks but will never do that again unless its for a frag I really really love. I just use an unscented antiperspirant if I don't have the matching deo.

- Yes I have and I been doing it rather often nowadays.

- They definitely do after I started doing the above ^^ but not as bad as I imagined. Also depends on the brand and type of deo. The ones with alcohol tend to project more than the non-alcohol ones.

- Terre d'Hermes shower gel that I bought was really potent and even pumps out some sillage that lasts a few hours.

Finally, in general, is there a great difference in aftershave's and cologne's potency.
    - Definitely in terms of longevity and scent development.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 5th July 2010 at 11:49 AM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I have picked up scented deodorant instead of wearing cologne. I've bought Cartier deodorant of scents i didn't own, and GIT which I do own. When you get hot, deodorant really projects several hours after application, where cologne would have worn off. GIT's deodorant was very accurate.

When I was younger I'd get suckered into a fragrance that gave away the deodorant and/or aftershave. The freebies helped to seal the deal in the dept store. I now wear aftershave lotion from the art of shaving in lavender which is quite odorless after the application. I read alcohol based aftershaves cause ingrown hairs, which I now believe.

I do not use body gel soap. I tried it in the past as part of the freebies, but I prefer not to own a bottle of liquid scented soap to match every fragrance i wanted to own and I like the unscented bar I use.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

... only if they come in a giftset.

If I really love a fragrance I will buy the matching shower gel.
    The Egoiste shower gel is excellent.
    I also really like the Kouros shower gel.

Deo sticks, they can smell nice but they don't give enough protection.
    So what I tend to do is use a deo stick with hardly no scent that gives me good protection and than put on some of the deo stick that smells good.
    That way I will be protected and smell nice.

No.

Blog Entries

if i can buy a gift set for the same price as an EdT, i will. i will NOT buy any of the mentioned stuff without the EdT itself however....i might buy Angel Men shower gel at some point though. i got a sample of it and love it

Fragrance is not good for your face, especially right after shaving. After shave does make a nice body splash, esp. in the summer. I don't use the deo because they're rarely antiperspirant. I'd love to use the body wash, but they tend to be ridiculously expensive given how lavishly I like to use it. I'd rather go to someplace like B&BW, find something similar or in the same class as what I'm wearing, and use that. But I must add that the body wash from the Eau de Campagne range by Sisley (a J.C. Elena-created frag. for those of you who give a sh*t) is like heaven.

DeepSilence

Unfortunatly my skin reacts by Deo Sticks.

I own and sometime use aftershave balms of Bvlgari Aqva and Givenchy Pi and I like scent on both of them better than EDT but I wouldnt buy them alone because they are waaay overpriced and sillage and longetivity is not that good.

" in general, is there a great difference in aftershave's and cologne's potency."
    in some cases EDC is way better, and some are more prominent than EDT

no i dont use shower gels and deo sticks i use antiperspirant now Garnier Men Mineral (does not leave stains on clothes but its spray not rollon Vichy is best but it stains my clothes so badly!)
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

Not at all
    in my view, all those products are just watered down fragrance with deo/aftershave/shampoo base
    huge rip
    not to mention you can get much higher quality products by going after brand names in each category, but there are always exceptions
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by odioustoilet View Post
    that the manufacturer/designer also offer in your favorite scent?

i have some creed deodorants and they actually last longer than the fragrance themselves and are the best deos that i have ever used. the green irish tweed aftershave is pretty strong maybe a bit stronger than the cologne.

Basenotes Institution

Shower gels yes, after shave rarely (unless it's a cream based lotion that I could use as a 'body lotion') & deodorants never.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I think it has been discontinued now
    Nope, still available - http://www.beautyencounter.com/701666130178.html
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Yes, but I think it`s no longer in production. It`s not listed at the Amouage home page. This may be some "old" stuff beautyencounter has in theyr stock. It looks like they also have the old bottle of Ciel man..