Code of Conduct

Default Something similar to Oud Wood?

I just got some Tom Ford decants of Oud Wood and Amber Absolute and I really like them both! Amber Absolute is a like a toned down and well behaved version of other amber fragrances like Ambre Narguile, Ambre Sultan, Ambre Russe and Idole. It's nice, but since I already have a few amber fragrances, I think I'll keep this for later.

Oud Wood on the other hand, is like the opposite Amber Absolute. A sharp and spicy herbal/woodsy fragrance. I like it! The first time I tried a 'oud' fragrance was Black Aoud, and I just felt the rose rather overpowering. This is the kind of oud I like, so of all the many ouds out there, which others would you recommend?

Default Re: Something similar to Oud Wood?

I love both these offerings from Tom Ford.

If you like Oud Wood, you can buy the Surrati Oud Oil that is an exact replica of Tom Ford Oud Wood. I have bought a bottle and can vouch for it. It's wonderful to layer with Tom Ford Oud Wood perfume even though the oil, worn on it's own is fantastic.

Surprisingly you'd find quite diverse opinions about the Oud in Oud wood. Some hardcore middle eastern perfume lovers find that the oud in this is synthetic and is not a patch on the real thing. Well, I am not an expert and I can't be bothered if it's real or not, but I like it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Oud Wood is a more refined YSL M7, which is also created under Tom Ford while at YSL.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Interesting. I didn't really think Oud Wood as synthetic. Maybe natural ouds would smell better? Whao. Now this makes me curious to try some. What fragrance uses natural ouds?

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Oud Wood is a more refined YSL M7, which is also created under Tom Ford while at YSL.
    Not saying you are wrong, but I have never got any association between M7 and Oud Wood

By Killian Pure Oud is a darker oud wood that has similar qualities to the Tom Ford. Tom Ford Oud Wood is very light and ethereal compared to the darkness and warmth of Pure Oud. I recommend Pure Oud. I have collected dozens of oud oils and smapled many others and have never run accross an oud oil that smells like Oud Wood - don't know if it is synthetic or not, but I do like it.

Bond No. 9 makes a pure Oud that may be a Harrod's exclusive but it smells as good Killian Pure Oud. I am not sure of the Bond No. 9 name for their product - the salesman who gave me sample spritzes called it Harrod's Pure Oud. It was pricey as well.

If you like Oud Wood, you should DEFINITELY try Tom Oud. It's pretty much an exact replica of Oud Wood but for less than half the price.

Hi supperman, i bought the 50 ml bottle of oud wood last fall. I really like this, especially in cooler weather.
    For me the note that sticks out is rosewood, and I've found the same dry down in Galimard's Ma Faute. Galimard is hard to come by, I had to order the 12 sample pack from them directly, (and spent around $20) The pack comes with 5 fragrances for men and 7 for women (i think), and hte men's fragrances were quite good.

:-)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    If you like Oud Wood, you should DEFINITELY try Tom Oud. It's pretty much an exact replica of Oud Wood but for less than half the price.
    Cool thanks! Good thing I have yet to pull the trigger. Will definitely give it a try! But how does one wear oils?

Yeah, thanks to everyone for your suggestions. After vetiver, I think oud might be my next favorite note, so it would be good to try out other fragrances with this note, so keep the suggestions coming!

I understand that Montale has lots of oud fagrances, but which of them would you recommend that I try. I wasn't so impressed with Black Aoud mainly because I hardly detected any oud apart from rose.

IMO TF Oud Wood smells nothing like the original smell of Oud its sort of synthetic oud. i recommend that you try the oud oil to enjoy the luxurious smell of oud wood.

Montale Aoud Musk

Quote Originally Posted by supperman View Post
    Interesting. I didn't really think Oud Wood as synthetic. Maybe natural ouds would smell better? Whao. Now this makes me curious to try some. What fragrance uses natural ouds?
    Unfortunately, the various "oud" fragrances from Tom Ford, By Killian, Micallef etc. are less representative of the aroma of the real oud oils than a stick of Juicy Fruit chewing gum is representative of the taste of real tropical fruits. If you try the real stuff you may do so at your own peril, the consequences to your wallet may be absolutely disasterous. If you think Tom Ford's Oud Wood is an expensive fragrance, then save yourself before it's too late and don't go down that slippery path, there is no coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    Unfortunately, the various "oud" fragrances from Tom Ford, By Killian, Micallef etc. are less representative of the aroma of the real oud oils than a stick of Juicy Fruit chewing gum is representative of the taste of real tropical fruits. If you try the real stuff you may do so at your own peril, the consequences to your wallet may be absolutely disasterous. If you think Tom Ford's Oud Wood is an expensive fragrance, then save yourself before it's too late and don't go down that slippery path, there is no coming back
    Whao... this is quite an endorsement! Yeah, I had a quick look at the Zahar.com website and I checked out some of the prices for oud oils... $2-300 for 3ml?! That's pretty obscene! And there are so many different kinds of oud! I've heard of Indonesian Patchouli, but Singapore Oud?!

In terms of Oud Wood itself, I think that it's a great fresh and spicy woodsy fragrance. It may be a lot less complex than the natural oil but I like the way it was blended. Hopefully I won't love oud oils so much that I would never wanna use Oud Wood (or Tom Oud) ever again. But then, it would mean that someone on the marketplace would benefit from it!

Strangely I find B*Men to be similar to Oud Wood. It reminds me of Oud Wood minus the coffee and coconut notes and less sweet.