Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fans of JOOP HOMME: Why the love?

For about a year, I've been trying to figure out why Joop! Homme is adored so much by some people. I even bought myself a bottle, hoping to find the love for it. I have worn this scent a number of times, and although I don't despise it, I don't really like it, and I doubt I ever will (I can't warm up to its overall synthetic feel). I just, for the life of me, cannot figure out what it is that draws some people to this fragrance.

I am interested in hearing from the members who really LOVE this scent - not casual wearers or those who merely like it, but rather the hardcore fans of this fragrance. I'm interested in knowing what it is about Joop Homme that draws you to it. Is it because it's unique? Because it's strong? Do you think it smells sexy? Does it elicit fond memories? Does it make you feel good? Is there a particular note contained in it that you really like? What is it?

I am posting this thread to open up a serious discussion about this, NOT a tongue-in-cheek attempt to make fun of people who like this scent - we all like what we like, and that's that. It's just a question that's been nagging me since I bought my bottle about a year ago. I'm also wondering if my olfactory sense is not picking up some of the notes that it contains.

This is an iconic scent, so I think this is a discussion-worthy topic.
    Last edited by shamu1; 5th July 2010 at 03:10 AM.

Default Re: Fans of JOOP HOMME: Why the love?

I never tried Joop! myself, but I do have a bottle of Mont Blanc Individuel. I see a lot of basenoters say that it is similar to Joop!. If that's the case, then I'll pass on it. I hardly wear Individuel anyway, and they say Individuel is lighter. Very sweet and something that can be cloying if overapplied.

Personally I hate it, but a friend of mine that wears WAY too much of it likes it because it 'mixes well with cigarettes.' I couldn't imagine anything worse than cigarettes mixed with Joop! Homme...
    Last edited by Anthony87; 5th July 2010 at 05:16 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

It's bad, but I could mention several iconic orientals (according to BN, anyway) that are worse.

Apparently the Joop lovers are asleep.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th July 2010 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's bad, but I could mention several iconic orientals (according to BN, anyway) that are worse. I won't.

Apparently the Joop lovers are asleep.
    Too much sugar will put you in a diabetic coma.

Since Joop! Homme have never had a fullfledge Danish release,
    it was not known to me, before I joined BN some 5 months ago.
    I was drawn to it, because of it's love/hate factor. I found it al-
    most tabu to like it. And I do love controversial fragrances.
    Besides that, I'm a sucker for sweet and cloying scents, so this
    was a win/win situation for me.
    I blindly ordered a bottle, and, of course, I love it. With that said,
    I've only worn it some 2-3 times since I got it, not because it's
    too hard to wear, but because, I have so many frags that are
    better. Joop! Homme will never enter my top 5, nor my top 10.
    But, I will always have a bottle in my collection.

I'm a newbie to the world of Joop! Where are all you hardcore lovers?!

Blog Entries

too be honest, ive only worn it a handful of times, simply because im AFRAID to. everyone says how strong it is, and while it doesnt bother me, im just afraid ill put it on and within 10 minutes have a horrible headache, so i dont wear it unless i know im staying in. maybe one of these days ill just over do it to see what happens

talk to me again in the winter and ill have a strong opinion on it

I feel like it's Le Mâle without the interesting herbal/floral bits, just tons of synthetic powder and sweetness. I don't get the love, either. No, it's not the worst fragrance ever made, but I don't see the appeal, unless you're really into the smell of your grandmother's face powder. And Pixie Stix.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 5th July 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Sweet, uncomplicated, long-lasting, and forward; i.e. destined for stardom.

I have never owned Joop! but my roommate freshman year did. A shudder of dread used to run through me whenever I saw the bottle out on his dresser, its exclamation point mocking my despair as it waited to be unleashed on an unsuspecting public...

I give it a 2.5 out of 5

1. Common & cliche
    2. Too overpowering (depending on your skin type)

Then again it's what sells at work. It's like AUS$ 32.99 for the 125ml
    It's acceptable in winter ... I guess

So far we've only got one fan chiming in - Le Grand Duc - out of 10 posts? C'mon, there must be more diehard fans of this out there!

Sur la Plage

I don't consider myself a fan. But I respect Joop Homme for daring to be different - and not some boring-ass fresh/aquatic fragrance that is a clone of thousands of others.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't consider myself a fan. But I respect Joop Homme for daring to be different - and not some boring-ass fresh/aquatic fragrance that is a clone of thousands of others.
    Amen!

DeepSilence

Just one time i tested it. It's one of my first fragrances that i tried. I wondered for the scent. It was great.

I'd like to hear from the hardcore fans too. I don't own it but I like it and respect it.
    I don't think it was common or cliche when it first came out--and wasn't it out before Le Malle anyway? I think it's unique and absolutely better than the sea of aquatics and bland scents that are way more popular and "common."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    So far we've only got one fan chiming in - Le Grand Duc - out of 10 posts? C'mon, there must be more diehard fans of this out there!
    i AM a fan, i just havent had enough experience with it to give a good opinion

I really like it, compliment getter. I never overapply, one spritz and that's it. But to say I'm hardcore lover? Not at all. I find it a worthy classic, very erotic, girls like it if you wear it discretely - if it is possible to wear it in such manner hahahaha. Longevity and sillage are astounding, but everyone knows that. You put two sprays anywhere on your body and ppl will smell you 10 meters diameter

I sampled it at Macy's a long time ago and remember liking it. I sampled a bunch of frags that day so it was hard to really tell if it was wearable or not. I'm not all that interested in sweet frags these days, so I haven't felt a need to sample again. and I do have Individuel (hardly ever have an interest in wearing it, let alone spraying it on).

It smells good. And if that seems terse in the discussion of a fragrance, that is why you do not like Joop! Homme.

I love it, but with two stipulations: (1) I do not wear it, and (2) I do not sample other fragrances like it. I would have worn it if I were 18-22 when I sampled it. I like Wings too. I do not think fragrances like these are the Problem with Modern Fragrances; I just think they need to make more mature fragrances, and to give them an edge when they do. But that will not happen while 40 year old men are dressing up like schoolboys, and many other social tragedies of the last 60 and especially 20 years. Fragrances now are either for children or passive married men (or cost hundreds of dollars a bottle).

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I am interested in hearing from the members who really LOVE this scent - not casual wearers or those who merely like it, but rather the hardcore fans of this fragrance. I'm interested in knowing what it is about Joop Homme that draws you to it. Is it because it's unique? Because it's strong? Do you think it smells sexy? Does it elicit fond memories? Does it make you feel good? Is there a particular note contained in it that you really like? What is it?
    It is pretty much all those things you note above. I personally wear fragrance for my own pleasure and Joop is one of the most well blended scents that is based purely on contrasts. No other scent for men goes from fresh to spicy then sweet to deep woody then Joop. I think that it takes a truly well horned nose to understand this scent. Most find it sweet which it is on the surface but to truly appreciated fragrances you have close your eyes and open your mind - kind of how wine takes on may characteristics of fragrances as it ages so does fragrance. Joop is really is not sweet as say Amen you really have to go beyond that to see the nuances of vetiver, patchouli, tobacco and blackberry in this fragrance.

I don't LOVE it but I think it's very well blended. But as a 4 star fragrance in my eyes, it's very difficult to wear, mostly because of its sillage. The smell itself is very nice once it calms down, if you can get to that point. When I spray it I just get the image that it's raining Sweettarts and gum drops. To me it's more of a "fun" fragrance" than something I can use. But I do enjoy the smell very much, it actually makes me smile and gives me a certain type of high.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    It is pretty much all those things you note above. I personally wear fragrance for my own pleasure and Joop is one of the most well blended scents that is based purely on contrasts. No other scent for men goes from fresh to spicy then sweet to deep woody then Joop. I think that it takes a truly well horned nose to understand this scent. Most find it sweet which it is on the surface but to truly appreciated fragrances you have close your eyes and open your mind - kind of how wine takes on may characteristics of fragrances as it ages so does fragrance. Joop is really is not sweet as say Amen you really have to go beyond that to see the nuances of vetiver, patchouli, tobacco and blackberry in this fragrance.
    tobacco?...to me its sweet berries and candy with a SLIGHT amount of vanilla, i smell nothing of a tobacco in it.

This thread is gunna force me to test it right now lol

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Since Joop! Homme have never had a fullfledge Danish release,
    it was not known to me, before I joined BN some 5 months ago.
    I was drawn to it, because of it's love/hate factor. I found it al-
    most tabu to like it. And I do love controversial fragrances.
    Besides that, I'm a sucker for sweet and cloying scents, so this
    was a win/win situation for me.
    I blindly ordered a bottle, and, of course, I love it. With that said,
    I've only worn it some 2-3 times since I got it, not because it's
    too hard to wear, but because, I have so many frags that are
    better. Joop! Homme will never enter my top 5, nor my top 10.
    But, I will always have a bottle in my collection.

I'm a newbie to the world of Joop! Where are all you hardcore lovers?!
    joop is not that bad, it is bombastic and sweet and meant for fun it is not meant to be taken serious. it has a uniqueness that i like not many colognes smell like it.

A few years ago I sampled Creeds Original Santal thought it smelled like Joop,sweet pungent,and strong. So I ruled that out for a purchase. Bought Montblanc Indeviduel blind.Gave that away after 4-5 wearings.Then one day I smelled the strong yet familliar scent on one of my customers. I asked if he was wearig Joop he replied yes. That aroma was stuck on my mind up until I bought a bottle. Here's a fragrance that just a few years earlier I would've passed on ,now I love it when the mood strikes me. There was some trial and error on the application. I figured out one spray at arms length to the chest and one spray misted into the air to cover my arms worked like magic. Just enough to let everyone know your wearing the fragrance and not blow your own head off. Never give a fragrance just one shot. It took me years to warm up to sweet/powerfull scents. Now I wear Joop,Amen,Le Male, Roma you get the picture.Joop is truly one of a kind,and with an easy trigger finger anyone can pull it off. Enjoy

I use to love it, but becuase of my wardrobe size, I don't wear it often enough to still love it. But I like it. I had a bottle years ago and remember a co-worker telling me it gave her headaches. Now that I think back, I feel very sorry for my classmates in college, cuz I know I use to overapply that sucka before class. lol But umm...I liked it, but when I discovered Versace Blue Jeans, I vowed to do away with it once the bottle was done, which I did. But after discovering Basenotes, I remembered how much I enjoyed the scent. That pink juice was good stuff. I went and ordered the big bottle of it, and still have about 90% of it\. When fall/winter come back around, it will be getting more wears. But I still throw it on occassionally, especially when I wear this red shirt I have. It's like I color match my frags with the color of my attire. I do apply it relatively lightly though. One to the chest (this will probably be enough for most of you), one to the wrist and share with the other, and I spray it in my hand and spread it around my neck. Overkill? Hope not...

I'll echo what most of the supporters are saying, it's definitely not a fragrance where you'll find 10 others at the counter that smell like it. Not to say it's 100% unique, but as was stated above it's not the 5,000th aquatic, fresh, sexy, clean, watery, zzzzzzzzzz out there, you have to look a little bit to find something similar. It can be a little overpowering at first, but I'm a fan of the warm tonka bean drydown. I would not wear this very often in the summer, it's definitely a fall/winter one. If you can get past the initial burst of slightly synthetic sweetness, there's something to like behind it.
    Last edited by fitch256; 6th July 2010 at 01:16 AM.

These are some interesting posts. Because Joop is so different, I actually want to like it, but I have yet to find the love.

I think I might wear it tomorrow and follow Scentimus' advice, and just close my eyes and try to figure out this scent again. One thing I've never been able to do with Joop is figure out what the hell is in it. I can't distinguish any individual notes, other than sour cherries.

* Top Notes
    * Bergamot, Cinnamon.

Middle Notes
    * Orange blossom, Jasmine, Honeysuckle.

Base Notes
    * Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Amber, Tonka bean, Musk, Vanilla..

i can smell the vanilla and cinnamon everything else is pretty well mixed where it is hard to distinguish the notes. compare this with original santal's notes and you will notice some similarities.

* Top Notes
    * Cinnamon, Coriander, Juniper Berry.

Middle Notes
    * Sandalwood, Lavender, Rosemary, Ginger, Orange Tree Absolute.

Base Notes
    * Tonka Beans, Vanilla.
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 6th July 2010 at 04:54 AM.

As for the notes: The juniper berry is pretty noticeable in the opening and highly synthetic smelling, I get a little bit of cinnamon but it's mostly a synthetic berry/fruity blast. The middle is where it becomes so blended and it's hard to pull apart those notes, I didn't even know there was any sandalwood in it. The base is much like the middle but you can smell the vanilla a little bit, still it mostly smells like the top and middle. The tonka I can't really smell, but then again tonka and vanilla go hand in hand and often blend well together.

Cinnamon and vanilla are always easy notes to pick out and pull apart, although I have gotten clove confused with cinnamon before.