Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fans of JOOP HOMME: Why the love?

For about a year, I've been trying to figure out why Joop! Homme is adored so much by some people. I even bought myself a bottle, hoping to find the love for it. I have worn this scent a number of times, and although I don't despise it, I don't really like it, and I doubt I ever will (I can't warm up to its overall synthetic feel). I just, for the life of me, cannot figure out what it is that draws some people to this fragrance.

I am interested in hearing from the members who really LOVE this scent - not casual wearers or those who merely like it, but rather the hardcore fans of this fragrance. I'm interested in knowing what it is about Joop Homme that draws you to it. Is it because it's unique? Because it's strong? Do you think it smells sexy? Does it elicit fond memories? Does it make you feel good? Is there a particular note contained in it that you really like? What is it?

I am posting this thread to open up a serious discussion about this, NOT a tongue-in-cheek attempt to make fun of people who like this scent - we all like what we like, and that's that. It's just a question that's been nagging me since I bought my bottle about a year ago. I'm also wondering if my olfactory sense is not picking up some of the notes that it contains.

This is an iconic scent, so I think this is a discussion-worthy topic.
    Last edited by shamu1; 5th July 2010 at 03:10 AM.

Default Re: Fans of JOOP HOMME: Why the love?

I never tried Joop! myself, but I do have a bottle of Mont Blanc Individuel. I see a lot of basenoters say that it is similar to Joop!. If that's the case, then I'll pass on it. I hardly wear Individuel anyway, and they say Individuel is lighter. Very sweet and something that can be cloying if overapplied.

Personally I hate it, but a friend of mine that wears WAY too much of it likes it because it 'mixes well with cigarettes.' I couldn't imagine anything worse than cigarettes mixed with Joop! Homme...
    Last edited by Anthony87; 5th July 2010 at 05:16 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

It's bad, but I could mention several iconic orientals (according to BN, anyway) that are worse.

Apparently the Joop lovers are asleep.
    Last edited by pluran; 30th July 2010 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's bad, but I could mention several iconic orientals (according to BN, anyway) that are worse. I won't.

Apparently the Joop lovers are asleep.
    Too much sugar will put you in a diabetic coma.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Since Joop! Homme have never had a fullfledge Danish release,
    it was not known to me, before I joined BN some 5 months ago.
    I was drawn to it, because of it's love/hate factor. I found it al-
    most tabu to like it. And I do love controversial fragrances.
    Besides that, I'm a sucker for sweet and cloying scents, so this
    was a win/win situation for me.
    I blindly ordered a bottle, and, of course, I love it. With that said,
    I've only worn it some 2-3 times since I got it, not because it's
    too hard to wear, but because, I have so many frags that are
    better. Joop! Homme will never enter my top 5, nor my top 10.
    But, I will always have a bottle in my collection.

I'm a newbie to the world of Joop! Where are all you hardcore lovers?!

Blog Entries

too be honest, ive only worn it a handful of times, simply because im AFRAID to. everyone says how strong it is, and while it doesnt bother me, im just afraid ill put it on and within 10 minutes have a horrible headache, so i dont wear it unless i know im staying in. maybe one of these days ill just over do it to see what happens

talk to me again in the winter and ill have a strong opinion on it

I feel like it's Le Mle without the interesting herbal/floral bits, just tons of synthetic powder and sweetness. I don't get the love, either. No, it's not the worst fragrance ever made, but I don't see the appeal, unless you're really into the smell of your grandmother's face powder. And Pixie Stix.
    Last edited by subhuman85; 5th July 2010 at 03:33 PM.

Sweet, uncomplicated, long-lasting, and forward; i.e. destined for stardom.

I have never owned Joop! but my roommate freshman year did. A shudder of dread used to run through me whenever I saw the bottle out on his dresser, its exclamation point mocking my despair as it waited to be unleashed on an unsuspecting public...

I give it a 2.5 out of 5

1. Common & cliche
    2. Too overpowering (depending on your skin type)

Then again it's what sells at work. It's like AUS$ 32.99 for the 125ml
    It's acceptable in winter ... I guess

So far we've only got one fan chiming in - Le Grand Duc - out of 10 posts? C'mon, there must be more diehard fans of this out there!

Sur la Plage

I don't consider myself a fan. But I respect Joop Homme for daring to be different - and not some boring-ass fresh/aquatic fragrance that is a clone of thousands of others.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't consider myself a fan. But I respect Joop Homme for daring to be different - and not some boring-ass fresh/aquatic fragrance that is a clone of thousands of others.
    Amen!

DeepSilence

Just one time i tested it. It's one of my first fragrances that i tried. I wondered for the scent. It was great.

I'd like to hear from the hardcore fans too. I don't own it but I like it and respect it.
    I don't think it was common or cliche when it first came out--and wasn't it out before Le Malle anyway? I think it's unique and absolutely better than the sea of aquatics and bland scents that are way more popular and "common."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    So far we've only got one fan chiming in - Le Grand Duc - out of 10 posts? C'mon, there must be more diehard fans of this out there!
    i AM a fan, i just havent had enough experience with it to give a good opinion

I really like it, compliment getter. I never overapply, one spritz and that's it. But to say I'm hardcore lover? Not at all. I find it a worthy classic, very erotic, girls like it if you wear it discretely - if it is possible to wear it in such manner hahahaha. Longevity and sillage are astounding, but everyone knows that. You put two sprays anywhere on your body and ppl will smell you 10 meters diameter

I sampled it at Macy's a long time ago and remember liking it. I sampled a bunch of frags that day so it was hard to really tell if it was wearable or not. I'm not all that interested in sweet frags these days, so I haven't felt a need to sample again. and I do have Individuel (hardly ever have an interest in wearing it, let alone spraying it on).

It smells good. And if that seems terse in the discussion of a fragrance, that is why you do not like Joop! Homme.

I love it, but with two stipulations: (1) I do not wear it, and (2) I do not sample other fragrances like it. I would have worn it if I were 18-22 when I sampled it. I like Wings too. I do not think fragrances like these are the Problem with Modern Fragrances; I just think they need to make more mature fragrances, and to give them an edge when they do. But that will not happen while 40 year old men are dressing up like schoolboys, and many other social tragedies of the last 60 and especially 20 years. Fragrances now are either for children or passive married men (or cost hundreds of dollars a bottle).

I am interested in hearing from the members who really LOVE this scent - not casual wearers or those who merely like it, but rather the hardcore fans of this fragrance. I'm interested in knowing what it is about Joop Homme that draws you to it. Is it because it's unique? Because it's strong? Do you think it smells sexy? Does it elicit fond memories? Does it make you feel good? Is there a particular note contained in it that you really like? What is it?
    It is pretty much all those things you note above. I personally wear fragrance for my own pleasure and Joop is one of the most well blended scents that is based purely on contrasts. No other scent for men goes from fresh to spicy then sweet to deep woody then Joop. I think that it takes a truly well horned nose to understand this scent. Most find it sweet which it is on the surface but to truly appreciated fragrances you have close your eyes and open your mind - kind of how wine takes on may characteristics of fragrances as it ages so does fragrance. Joop is really is not sweet as say Amen you really have to go beyond that to see the nuances of vetiver, patchouli, tobacco and blackberry in this fragrance.

I don't LOVE it but I think it's very well blended. But as a 4 star fragrance in my eyes, it's very difficult to wear, mostly because of its sillage. The smell itself is very nice once it calms down, if you can get to that point. When I spray it I just get the image that it's raining Sweettarts and gum drops. To me it's more of a "fun" fragrance" than something I can use. But I do enjoy the smell very much, it actually makes me smile and gives me a certain type of high.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    It is pretty much all those things you note above. I personally wear fragrance for my own pleasure and Joop is one of the most well blended scents that is based purely on contrasts. No other scent for men goes from fresh to spicy then sweet to deep woody then Joop. I think that it takes a truly well horned nose to understand this scent. Most find it sweet which it is on the surface but to truly appreciated fragrances you have close your eyes and open your mind - kind of how wine takes on may characteristics of fragrances as it ages so does fragrance. Joop is really is not sweet as say Amen you really have to go beyond that to see the nuances of vetiver, patchouli, tobacco and blackberry in this fragrance.
    tobacco?...to me its sweet berries and candy with a SLIGHT amount of vanilla, i smell nothing of a tobacco in it.

This thread is gunna force me to test it right now lol

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Since Joop! Homme have never had a fullfledge Danish release,
    it was not known to me, before I joined BN some 5 months ago.
    I was drawn to it, because of it's love/hate factor. I found it al-
    most tabu to like it. And I do love controversial fragrances.
    Besides that, I'm a sucker for sweet and cloying scents, so this
    was a win/win situation for me.
    I blindly ordered a bottle, and, of course, I love it. With that said,
    I've only worn it some 2-3 times since I got it, not because it's
    too hard to wear, but because, I have so many frags that are
    better. Joop! Homme will never enter my top 5, nor my top 10.
    But, I will always have a bottle in my collection.

I'm a newbie to the world of Joop! Where are all you hardcore lovers?!
    joop is not that bad, it is bombastic and sweet and meant for fun it is not meant to be taken serious. it has a uniqueness that i like not many colognes smell like it.

A few years ago I sampled Creeds Original Santal thought it smelled like Joop,sweet pungent,and strong. So I ruled that out for a purchase. Bought Montblanc Indeviduel blind.Gave that away after 4-5 wearings.Then one day I smelled the strong yet familliar scent on one of my customers. I asked if he was wearig Joop he replied yes. That aroma was stuck on my mind up until I bought a bottle. Here's a fragrance that just a few years earlier I would've passed on ,now I love it when the mood strikes me. There was some trial and error on the application. I figured out one spray at arms length to the chest and one spray misted into the air to cover my arms worked like magic. Just enough to let everyone know your wearing the fragrance and not blow your own head off. Never give a fragrance just one shot. It took me years to warm up to sweet/powerfull scents. Now I wear Joop,Amen,Le Male, Roma you get the picture.Joop is truly one of a kind,and with an easy trigger finger anyone can pull it off. Enjoy

I use to love it, but becuase of my wardrobe size, I don't wear it often enough to still love it. But I like it. I had a bottle years ago and remember a co-worker telling me it gave her headaches. Now that I think back, I feel very sorry for my classmates in college, cuz I know I use to overapply that sucka before class. lol But umm...I liked it, but when I discovered Versace Blue Jeans, I vowed to do away with it once the bottle was done, which I did. But after discovering Basenotes, I remembered how much I enjoyed the scent. That pink juice was good stuff. I went and ordered the big bottle of it, and still have about 90% of it\. When fall/winter come back around, it will be getting more wears. But I still throw it on occassionally, especially when I wear this red shirt I have. It's like I color match my frags with the color of my attire. I do apply it relatively lightly though. One to the chest (this will probably be enough for most of you), one to the wrist and share with the other, and I spray it in my hand and spread it around my neck. Overkill? Hope not...

I'll echo what most of the supporters are saying, it's definitely not a fragrance where you'll find 10 others at the counter that smell like it. Not to say it's 100% unique, but as was stated above it's not the 5,000th aquatic, fresh, sexy, clean, watery, zzzzzzzzzz out there, you have to look a little bit to find something similar. It can be a little overpowering at first, but I'm a fan of the warm tonka bean drydown. I would not wear this very often in the summer, it's definitely a fall/winter one. If you can get past the initial burst of slightly synthetic sweetness, there's something to like behind it.
    Last edited by fitch256; 6th July 2010 at 01:16 AM.

These are some interesting posts. Because Joop is so different, I actually want to like it, but I have yet to find the love.

I think I might wear it tomorrow and follow Scentimus' advice, and just close my eyes and try to figure out this scent again. One thing I've never been able to do with Joop is figure out what the hell is in it. I can't distinguish any individual notes, other than sour cherries.

* Top Notes
    * Bergamot, Cinnamon.

Middle Notes
    * Orange blossom, Jasmine, Honeysuckle.

Base Notes
    * Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli, Amber, Tonka bean, Musk, Vanilla..

i can smell the vanilla and cinnamon everything else is pretty well mixed where it is hard to distinguish the notes. compare this with original santal's notes and you will notice some similarities.

* Top Notes
    * Cinnamon, Coriander, Juniper Berry.

Middle Notes
    * Sandalwood, Lavender, Rosemary, Ginger, Orange Tree Absolute.

Base Notes
    * Tonka Beans, Vanilla.
    Last edited by DavidBond007; 6th July 2010 at 04:54 AM.

As for the notes: The juniper berry is pretty noticeable in the opening and highly synthetic smelling, I get a little bit of cinnamon but it's mostly a synthetic berry/fruity blast. The middle is where it becomes so blended and it's hard to pull apart those notes, I didn't even know there was any sandalwood in it. The base is much like the middle but you can smell the vanilla a little bit, still it mostly smells like the top and middle. The tonka I can't really smell, but then again tonka and vanilla go hand in hand and often blend well together.

Cinnamon and vanilla are always easy notes to pick out and pull apart, although I have gotten clove confused with cinnamon before.

Your responses have inspired me to wear Joop today as my SotD. I'll check back in at the end of the day. Wish me luck.

Your responses have inspired me to wear Joop today as my SotD. I'll check back in at the end of the day. Wish me luck.
    to me it is fall/winter evening scent for clubbing and dating, I'd never spray it in any other occasion or non occasion
    Last edited by Zgb; 6th July 2010 at 06:37 PM.

It is supposed to get very hot this week, but due to this thread, I would like to find a day to wear this.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Way to Go!

Your experience will be worth a thousand responses.

I love Joop! and always have since its issue. I believe it is a victim of its initial popularity and, bash it all we can, there was a reason it was popular. The reason still subsists today: It is a good frag. Synthetic, yes. Strong, yes. I think it smells very good, and we really do not have to over-apply it as we do
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

Opens with a berry obviously, a sweet candy-like berry/fruit accord. The heart is a bit....warmer, i think thats the sandalwood coming out, and it loses the tangy, sweetness of the opening. i actually notice some spice to it, im thinking its clary sage flower, much like the one in John Varvatos. I happened to be trying the two and i noticed that they were in fact similar in that sense (the sweet tobacco-like smell). The base has elements of the heart and top, but there is some vanilla.

I can still smell it on myself after a i slept AND took a shower, thats pretty awesome haha

UPDATE: its official, this stuff is insane. i applied it at 3pm yesterday, it survived a nights sleep and two showers. thats pretty awesome
    Last edited by Neurosis; 6th July 2010 at 07:19 PM.

I don't think there are many hardcore fans on BN. However, there seems to be a niche among those to value scent strength above all else...

I used to own a bottle back in the day. Once that was finished I've never had a desire to repurchase...

Shamu, you don't have to like it, its originality is not ground for you to have to consider it worth wearing it. I even think Coty should seriously think about including an instruction manual in Joop!'s box so people with more conservative tastes can enjoy it. I always regarded Joop! as a fragrance among the SS group - the ones that are very stinky and very sweet, thus laking gentlemanliness, subtlety, discretion, virility, etc. I also guess these are the reasons as to why so many mention that it is a scent that is not among the ones to be taken seriously.

I have to admit that this hobby made me change my mind about scents, for at first I did not like really sweet fragrances, dismissing them as too contemporary, bold, etc. - I even imagine toolbags wearing scents like these ones. I happened to try Le Mle and Joop! and, much to my surprise, found out I liked them. In the case of Joop! I enjoy the cherry notes which seem to be mixed with alcohol, cherry cough syrup for some, kirschwasser for others. I can also perceive some tobacco in it, as well as vanilla and some other notes I cannot identify. It is a complex scent in that top and mid notes morph, but its evolution is not too long-lasting. However, its fixation is remarkable, it lasts for ages. Joop! does make a statement; should this be taken as a bad thing, it can be a nightmare for the ones near the wearer. So I handle it with care, two spritzes at the most, or three. Of course, nothing beats Guerlain's Vetiver, Pour Un Homme, Aramis, Antaeus, Habit Rouge, Heritage, etc etc. (guess you get the idea).

DeepSilence

I want Jooooooop
    Tomarrow i gonna buy Joop, M7, Burberry London, Sauvage, Envy

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    UPDATE: its official, this stuff is insane. i applied it at 3pm yesterday, it survived a nights sleep and two showers. thats pretty awesome
    Ya, been there.
    LOL, like the 2nd or 3rd time I used Joop, not to go out I was just staring at its funky juice on my dresser and couldn't resist messing with it.. So I did 4 sprays on each arm.. 8 sprays of JOOP! I got a buzz off of it, I was smiling and giggly, it was unexpected really, to that extent, it felt like i was in another world. I feel like doing it again just to reminisce, but I only have a 1 oz bottle of it, and 8 sprays is basically enough for 8 different wearings. Again, Joop! just makes me smile.

I do hope Shamu is okay, after using Joop! today. Joop! can change a man.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I do hope Shamu is okay, after using Joop! today. Joop! can change a man.
    I actually kind of hope he didn't use it today since it reached 100 today here in Mass. and hot weather is not at all the time to be wearing Joop!. <-- firefox grammar check is yelling at me

NT.
    Last edited by fitch256; 7th July 2010 at 02:19 AM.

I wore it high school and freshman year in college. Joop just went out of style then (around 1998), and curve went in style. It was unique and smelled good. I outgrew the fragrance and moved onto finer things.

Sometimes you need to get other peoples' opinions before you can truly open your mind.

Yes, I wore Joop Homme all day today, and I actually quite liked it, for the first time ever. I just put aside any and all pre-existing opinions I had of it, and just tried to enjoy the damn thing for what it is. What I like is how challenging a scent it is. My nose and my brain were constantly searching for a note to grab onto, but I never quite could. I'd get different whiffs of it during the day, but I could never quite identify any of the notes. This made it very interesting and appealing. For the first time, I was able to smell it without thinking, "Christ, this is just a synthetic cinder block of smell." Plus, the scent itself is now starting to appeal to me.

The super-hot and humid weather did not bother me at all today, and in fact I think it enhanced my enjoyment of Joop. I didn't find it overpowering at all. Either my skin just chews up this particular frag, or my bottle is spoiled (I'd bought it on clearance last year), or I'm anosmic to some of its notes, because I used eight sprays of it today, and it did not smell overbearing at all. Perhaps it's the fact that I have a little 1 oz. bottle that just shoots out tiny little sprays that allows me to use 8 shots of Joop without dying. Even my wife told me she didn't find it too strong either. In fact, I think one of the reasons I didn't like it before was because I didn't apply enough, and I wasn't able to pick up its subtle complexities.

Overall, I can't say I'm a fan yet, but this is not a bad frag at all. I look forward to wearing this again. I'm going to have to revise my BN review of this.
    Last edited by shamu1; 7th July 2010 at 02:47 AM.

Talking Re: Fans of JOOP HOMME: Why the love?

Yes, I wore Joop Homme all day today, and I actually quite liked it, for the first time ever.
    Ah...beware traveler; the journey to the dark side begins with but a single spray. Or eight!?

My bottle, 2 sprays and the room definitely would now about it. I had two wear one only, and maybe reapply later on in the day. I gave my 10+ year old bottle to a co worker and with one spray and he still smells up the room with Joop! for the whole day.

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    I actually kind of hope he didn't use it today since it reached 100 today here in Mass. and hot weather is not at all the time to be wearing Joop!. <-- firefox grammar check is yelling at me
    haha ya

Sometimes you need to get other peoples' opinions before you can truly open your mind.

Yes, I wore Joop Homme all day today, and I actually quite liked it, for the first time ever. I just put aside any and all pre-existing opinions I had of it, and just tried to enjoy the damn thing for what it is. What I like is how challenging a scent it is. My nose and my brain were constantly searching for a note to grab onto, but I never quite could. I'd get different whiffs of it during the day, but I could never quite identify any of the notes. This made it very interesting and appealing. For the first time, I was able to smell it without thinking, "Christ, this is just a synthetic cinder block of smell." Plus, the scent itself is now starting to appeal to me.

The super-hot and humid weather did not bother me at all today, and in fact I think it enhanced my enjoyment of Joop. I didn't find it overpowering at all. Either my skin just chews up this particular frag, or my bottle is spoiled (I'd bought it on clearance last year), or I'm anosmic to some of its notes, because I used eight sprays of it today, and it did not smell overbearing at all. Perhaps it's the fact that I have a little 1 oz. bottle that just shoots out tiny little sprays that allows me to use 8 shots of Joop without dying. Even my wife told me she didn't find it too strong either. In fact, I think one of the reasons I didn't like it before was because I didn't apply enough, and I wasn't able to pick up its subtle complexities.

Overall, I can't say I'm a fan yet, but this is not a bad frag at all. I look forward to wearing this again. I'm going to have to revise my BN review of this.
    I think your description of this being a challenging scent is a great way of putting it. You really are constantly searching for what this is offering. 8 sprays?! You must have bone dry skin or your bottle is a bit spoiled. My skin does not hold fragrance well at all and 3 sprays of this for me and I'm good to go, even two would be fine.

To clarify, the 8 sprays thing was just because there are all these myths that more than 3 sprays of it can cause brain damage or get you high. I was wanted to see what all the hype was about.. it did make me dizzy.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 7th July 2010 at 09:43 AM.

Odd responses to your post here.
    Joop has something to do with Individuel - some people are hopeless at differentiating scents. They're nothing alike.
    Joop is like thousands of others. Check when the thousands of others were made - Joop predates them - it started the trend for them.
    Joop is boring. I can understand why I would think that, since I run into someone wearing it strongly from one to six times a day, but that doesn't seem to be the case for people in most other countries. Joop may be an olfactory assault, but that is never boring.

To me, Joop Homme EDT is just an extremely well crafted scent, with incredible longevity that hangs around my jumper for at least 12 days after I've worn it. And what's more, all the lighter variations like Beach Clubbing and Summer Temptation are fabulous as well.

And Joop Homme Aftershave Splash lasts about two days - some two to four times longer than an average EDT. There is nothing else remotely like it.

Which may explain a valid reason for people to dislike it - it does cloy after a time even on me, though not to numerous other perpetual Joop wearers that I keep coming across. I find scents like Le Male and Pi more cloying, but it's not as big a problem as they don't last anywhere near as long as Joop.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 7th July 2010 at 04:52 PM.

Wow 8 sprays!? Up here in the the northeast it peaked at around 104F/40C yesterday. I couldn't imagine ONE spray, let alone EIGHT.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Silly question that I hope one of you can answer. Does the 4.2 oz. bottle's atomizer throw off a big spray? The little 1 oz. bottle I have just squeaks out little wimpy squirts of the stuff, which I think is one reason I needed 8 sprays.

I wore Joop again as my SotD yesterday, and I just got out of bed, 24 hours after I sprayed on the Joop. Right now I can smell this peppery, patchouli-like smell on myself. It smells really good, but nothing like anything I've ever smelled in Joop before. Is it possible that it takes 24 hours for Joop to evolve fully, and I'm now smelling the very tail end of the drydown?? If so, I'm damn impressed. I know patchouli is a base note in Joop, but I've never been able to actually detect that note in it.

Any of you guys smell anything like this in Joop?
    Last edited by shamu1; 9th July 2010 at 10:41 AM.

Silly question that I hope one of you can answer. Does the 4.2 oz. bottle's atomizer throw off a big spray? The little 1 oz. bottle I have just squeaks out little wimpy squirts of the stuff, which I think is one reason I needed 8 sprays.
    When I still had the bottle, YES. It had a similar spray to any other cologne sold in a big bottle.

I have had probably 3 large bottles of Joop over the years. Why? Well, I really liked it the first time that I ever smelled it, so I bought it. I always got a ton of female compliments so I kept going with it. It is very unique and VEERRRRYYYY long lasting. If sprayed on a shirt, it will literally last for days. Part of the hatred and/or toxic claims for Joop come due to it's strength. It is very potent. People hate bang for their buck? haha The sprayer on the large bottles will definitely blast out quite a bit of strong juice so it is easy to suffocate people if you use too much. So, with Joop, I can do 1 spray and be good to go for a full day. With others like Erolfa (which I love the smell, but it just doesn't last) I can put on 10 sprays and it still will barely have any projection or longevity after a few minutes.

Yep, I was over at the mall during lunch today, and I stopped by the frag counter at Macys. They had a big 4.2 oz. jug of Joop, so I sprayed some on my hand. It definitely throws out a lot more juice than the bottle I have. My 1 oz. bottle squirts out little dinky spritzes, so 2 or 3 sprtizes from my bottle is like one spritz from a real bottle. So my eight sprays of Joop may not be all that impressive.

I'm still trying to figure out if that patchouli/pepper smell this morning was yesterday's Joop.

Shamu, thanks for pointing me to this thread. I put one spray of this around 7-8hrs ago and I still smell it on the back of my hanId. It's not as sweet as it was when I first applied it (thank God), but it definetly has some serious longevity. The only thing that comes close to me on my skin is Amen. I'll have to give it another shot definetely.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

Shamu. I know that everyone says that the whole cold weather/warm weather thing is myth with most frags, but you might want to try this with the weather that we are getting now. I live in Ohio and it was high of 60deg. F with a low in to the low 40's the last couple of days, so I decided to break out the Joop that I hadn't touched since March. All day I could smell the sweet, cinnamon and peppery blend. Every now and then I think the heat would kick on in the office and I would get a whiff of something so beautiful in my face and I kept thinking "what frag. is that I'm smelling and do I ask one of these guys (I always feel weird asking men what they are wearing, since most of them don't share the same love for cologne). Then I picked it up and noticed that it was me. It was just the sweet, cinnamon,peppery scent. It had a good Sandalwood, patchouli,vetiver vibe to it. It reminded me why I still wear this frag. even after almost 20 years of still putting it on. I don't wear it as much as I used to, but still love it. Is it a little weaker then it used to be, maybe or maybe I've just smelled a thousand EDTs out there and wore at least 200, so now my nose doesn't scare off like other people that have been raised on only aquatics and maybe now are trying to ween themselves.

Personally, I never liked Joop Homme, but I do understand its appeal and popularity, since- hat it or lobve it- one can hardly deny its powerhouse feel that will always have a numerous fanbase

My father wears this and it seems like it's his favourite at the moment. It projects like a monster. Even when I'm in my room and he's in the bathroom I can still get a strong smell of the scent.