Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fans of JOOP HOMME: Why the love?

Quote Originally Posted by damageinc View Post
    Shamu. I know that everyone says that the whole cold weather/warm weather thing is myth with most frags, but you might want to try this with the weather that we are getting now. I live in Ohio and it was high of 60deg. F with a low in to the low 40's the last couple of days, so I decided to break out the Joop that I hadn't touched since March. All day I could smell the sweet, cinnamon and peppery blend. Every now and then I think the heat would kick on in the office and I would get a whiff of something so beautiful in my face and I kept thinking "what frag. is that I'm smelling and do I ask one of these guys (I always feel weird asking men what they are wearing, since most of them don't share the same love for cologne). Then I picked it up and noticed that it was me. It was just the sweet, cinnamon,peppery scent. It had a good Sandalwood, patchouli,vetiver vibe to it. It reminded me why I still wear this frag. even after almost 20 years of still putting it on. I don't wear it as much as I used to, but still love it. Is it a little weaker then it used to be, maybe or maybe I've just smelled a thousand EDTs out there and wore at least 200, so now my nose doesn't scare off like other people that have been raised on only aquatics and maybe now are trying to ween themselves.
    I'm two steps ahead of ya, damageinc! Since that last post in July I've become a Joop fan, AND not only that, I learned to love it even in hot weather! Go figure.

But yes, I'll also definitely be breaking this one out now.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I ignored Joop! Homme for many years, mainly due to its reputation for extreme sweetness and sillage, and just got around to trying it out last year. I bought a big bottle of it.

I don't find it as sweet or as powerful as some others do. Without getting into details, I think it just smells great!

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I ignored Joop! Homme for many years, mainly due to its reputation for extreme sweetness and sillage, and just got around to trying it out last year. I bought a big bottle of it.

I don't find it as sweet or as powerful as some others do. Without getting into details, I think it just smells great!
    I'm right with you Noggs. Yes, it's sweet, but I don't find it overly so. Compared to the vanilla hell of Azzaro Pour Homme Elixir, Joop smells like Yatagan.

What is nice about Joop is that the sweetness is cut with the patchouli / vetiver.

Reasons why I love JOOP! Homme:

- It's strong; sillage and projection are a pain in the arse with most fragrances, not with this.

- It's a compliment getter.

- It's unique.

- It's a lovely smell (it is!)

- It lasts.

- Nostalgic value.

Reasons why JOOP! Homme can get annoying:

- Cliche/common.

That's it.

Best fragrance in the world that is outstanding and has its own character. You recognize it immediately once you smell it. Furthermore it is the 80s in a bottle. Joop! (pronounced yope as in pope or rope) is so out of this world that is unfair to all other fragrances to be compared to it.

Women arfe close to an orgasm when they smell it and want you to finish it. No matter how ugly you are, once they smell Joop! on you, you are as favourite as in a monkey whorehouse with a bag full of bananas!
    Last edited by MrAndySais; 16th July 2011 at 10:18 AM.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndySais View Post
    Best fragrance in the world that is outstanding and has its own character. You recognize it immediately once you smell it. Furthermore it is the 80s in a bottle. Joop! (pronounced yope as in pope or rope) is so out of this world that is unfair to all other fragrances to be compared to it.

Women arfe close to an orgasm when they smell it and want to to finish it. No matter how ugly you are, once they smell Joop! on you you are as favourite as in a monkey whorehouse with a bag full of bananas!

This man really likes JOOP! Homme.

They compare Joop! to God .. okay he is good, but he is no Joop!

Wolfgang Joop
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Despite popular theories the incarnation of Lucifer does not live inside the bottle! Its biggest issue is its nuclear power and silage, which is overwhelming and dangerous in the wrong hands. Personally I used to love it in my early teens and I think it's just that, a decent and likable fragrance for the younger crowd due to it's warmth and sweetness. It's rather quite pleasant in calibrated doses and on the right person, provided you appreciate it for what it is and for what it isn't.

My mum who has a very refined taste in fragrances, still loves it! Just goes to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in this case the nose. Plus you have to bear in mind that the average person isn't spoiled by a wealth of exotic niche scents, which they've sampled over the years. Therefore have developed a very specific and refined taste in scent.

I wouldn't say I love it. I like the smell of it a lot. Of the notes mentioned, I can identify Orange Blossom, Cinnamon, Patchouli and (lots of) Tonka Bean, along with the 'cherry' smell, which I think is more like almonds and seems to be Heliotrope.

The reason I can't love Joop! is because of its potency. Just 1 spray of it, from the 100ml sample bottles in stores, and it sucks all the air out from around me so I can't breath, then it goes and invades everyone elses personal space, with extreme prejudice. It is the Chuck Norris of Mens Orientals...

If I could have the exact same smell, but a third of the silage and longevity, I would be a fan. So maybe the solution is:
    - Buy a smaller bottle, that seems to delivers less per spray
    - Buy a summer variant (but then it won't smell the same)

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    If I could have the exact same smell, but a third of the silage and longevity, I would be a fan. So maybe the solution is:
    - Buy a smaller bottle, that seems to delivers less per spray
    - Buy a summer variant (but then it won't smell the same)
    You could buy the aftershave, I think Renato said in another thread that it still has good longevity. And this way it will still smell the same.

Personally, I love Joop Homme but I think my 125ml bottle will last for eternity since this is a 2 sprays max scent.

Before I got into fragrance as a hobby, Joop! was one of my favorite scents as I prefer sweet smelling colognes. It works well with my skin chemistry so it definitely works for me. Now that I've gotten more serious about fragrance, I've found other scents that I prefer over it, but I still wear it in colder weather from time to time. If you use it sparingly, 2 sprays max, it's a great cologne.

I only don't hate it because when I was a kid I went to a school party and they had some incences stick that had the same smell and I had a great day, just because of that! haha

I wish I had seen this earlier. I LOVE JOOP! I love the strength, and the smell. I love the complexity of the fragrance itself. I will admit I am not the best at picking out particular notes in fragrances so I can't pick the smell apart, and tell you what I love about it. I love the sweetness, and I love the contrasting sharpness of it as well. I like how it smells like sweetarts or something not real manly, but when I stick my nose right on an application point I can smell a cherryish burning wood smell that is very manly. I find it is perfectly colored as well. I also have 2 1oz bottles so I don't think it's crazy strong. Then again I wore 4 or 5 sprays Salvador Dali to work today so of course I wouldn't find it to be too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Personally, I never liked Joop Homme, but I do understand its appeal and popularity
    Feel the same way.

The little 1 oz. bottle is perfect for using during really hot weather because it throws out little spritzes, instead of the firehose that is the 4.2 oz. bottle.

I use about 7 or 8 sprays from the 1 oz. bottle in the heat of summer, without suffocating. I wouldn't even think of using more than 2 sprays from the 4.2 in summer.