Code of Conduct

Default Pets and perfume...PLEASE HELP!

I hope that this post will not be too inappropriate, but I need HELP quickly...

A small parakeet/budgie (domestic pet bird) flew into our yard yesterday, obviously frightened, lost and hungry. Someone must have let him out of his house and he got loose. These birds can fly for literally miles. No neighbour came by looking for a lost bird and no signs were posted in the area. He landed on my head...I thought I was being attacked by a crow! He bit me and my DH got out his welding gloves to hold him until he placed him in a vented cardboard box. We hurried to the pet supply (we had to buy dog food) and bought a small cage just to keep him safe with a seed and water dispenser.

I know small birds are sensitive to strong fragrances (PERFUMES?) and smells, and some birds can even be killed by the scent of new Teflon cookware burning off in the kitchen.

We are pondering keeping him as a pet (even with the knowledge of a 20 or 30 year commitment) but I want to know about my perfumes. Does anyone with pet birds here know of perfume effects on pet birds?

We offered him to a friend with a bird but sometimes fights can occur and many are solitary. (Then again, like cats or dogs, some like the company.)

(P.S. The Comte d'Orsay had an indoor aviary and he was a huge bird lover who owned a talking crow--in spite of the fact that he was a skilled bird marksman with one trap shoot at 92 kills in 108 shots in one day. This indoor aviary was kept warm even in the cold London winters with its own coal heater...)

Please advise and thank you in advance...I want to do right by this little guy. I add that I do not have a fowling piece...

--Primrose
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th July 2010 at 03:25 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Pets and perfume...PLEASE HELP!

I just asked a friend of mine who has parrots , she says as long as you dont use sprays in the same room it shouldnt be a problem . I hope that helps a bit

Blog Entries

If you apply your fragrance in the bathroom or bedroom and keep the bird in the living room, I think he'd be fine. But if you enjoy using room sprays or similar, I'd reconsider. If you have a Yahoo account, or don't mind signing up for one (you can go to Yahoo and make a new email acct just for this purpose), I'd ask this question in their Yahoo Answers forum: answers.yahoo.com then Home > All Categories > Pets > Birds There are a number of people there with avian experience who can probably give you the best answer.

Or I'll be happy to post the question there for you, but I think it would be important to know whether you use room fragrances in addition to your SotD. Please let me know.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thank you, Heartwood and Monsieur! (hugs) I do not plan to spray in the same room and allow the drydown in another part of the house. I understand it's the spray or the aerosol that is harmful.

We do not use room sprays, only perfumes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

You're welcome, Primrose! I did a little more searching around Yahoo Answers that lead me to this old question:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5061435AAHR4Jc

which in turn took me here:
    http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/fresh-air-is-a-must

I think your plan sounds very reasonable, but I'd avoid handling him if you're wearing a sillage monster at the time. I look forward to hearing more about your new feathered friend!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Basenotes Institution

I think you should be fine with your new feathered friend. My mother is 'bird mad' - has over 30 and she wears perfumes. No problems so long as you don't spray near them and make sure no residue gets in their water, food or eyes from your hands or skin and make sure their 'area' is ventilated.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 5th July 2010 at 08:11 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thank you all for the support! If I adopt this little man (yes, he is a male), I will be prepared to change my perfume habits. BTW, DH also dislikes the atomiser after I apply...

I have a solution with sprayers that I have used to keep DH happy, and that is to apply a small dollop of unscented lotion in one hand and then cup the hand; I spray the fragrance into the cupped hand and apply to the skin. This seems to keep the particles down and may even prolong the scent. Of course, I also apply only in the bathroom with the fan running and then keep it running.

I am agonising over this little man. I want to devote myself to all my pets that I adopt--it's a lifelong commitment and I want to do justice. They are not so much pets and little people.

Basenotes Institution

They are little people aren't they Primrose ! Each have their own personality. My own wild bluejay spent spring procreating I think. His baby is now nearly fully grown and has got most of his color . Icall the father Frederic or Freddy ( as in Malle ) and the baby is Serge or Sergie ( as in Lutens ) .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Again, thank you all for the support. Having a pet is a lifelong commitment and I do not take decisions lightly. Having a bird will be a permanent change in the way I apply scent. Dogs and cats don't seem to care, yet it can be a serious health issue for small birds.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Primrose,

How remarkable that this happened to you now; just yesterday my mother was reminiscing about the time my grandmother's parakeet (budgie) got out of our house and flew 5 miles before a priest found him and handed him over to a woman who had birds. She in turn read our Lost ad in the paper and reunited us with our beloved family pet.

I know you said, "No neighbour came by looking for a lost bird and no signs were posted in the area", but I urge you to also check the Lost and Found column in your local newspaper(s). Someone may be heartbroken over their pet, may have advertised and is hoping that the finder will read their ad. It also takes a few days for a new "Lost" ad to be printed. Additionally many newspapers, including two of our local ones, allow anyone to place a completely free Lost or Found ad; you may consider phoning one in.

Our parakeet only lived about 5 years; budgies don't live as long as parrots do.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Primrose,

How remarkable that this happened to you now; just yesterday my mother was reminiscing about the time my grandmother's parakeet (budgie) got out of our house and flew 5 miles before a priest found him and handed him over to a woman who had birds. She in turn read our Lost ad in the paper and reunited us with our beloved family pet.

I know you said, "No neighbour came by looking for a lost bird and no signs were posted in the area", but I urge you to also check the Lost and Found column in your local newspaper(s). Someone may be heartbroken over their pet, may have advertised and is hoping that the finder will read their ad. It also takes a few days for a new "Lost" ad to be printed. Additionally many newspapers, including two of our local ones, allow anyone to place a completely free Lost or Found ad; you may consider phoning one in.

Our parakeet only lived about 5 years; budgies don't live as long as parrots do.
    Roses, we contacted local avian vets and checked news listings and nothing turned up. The local bird rescue is full. We have enough to foster this little guy and have a friend with an identical breed. These birds are like dogs and cannot always get along with just anyone like an aquarium fish, so my friend declined to foster him. I know his family must miss him but he is not banded. We will keep daily looking and posting to see if anything turns up.

There are hazards to fostering pets (cats, dogs, birds...): falling in love with them and ending up keeping them. My sister has three small dogs and is fostering a fourth... (She also has two cats, one chinchilla and one tortoise...)

We have a wild hummingbird in the yard and he stays all year even in the middle of winter. We keep the feeder full all year of him. He sits at the top of a large tree like the king of the yard and chitters away announcing that *he* rules the realm. He is adorable.