Code of Conduct

Default How do I find what's right for me?

Right now I own a variety of fragrances.

CK Truth, CK Escape, Versace Dreamer, Armani Code, and Oscar for Men

The Calvin Klein ones aren't particularly my favorite. While they're not bad, they don't particularly stand out to me as anything special and I do sense that "synthetic tinge" that is common in mainstream cologne. (Hugo, Polo, CK, etc.

Dreamer is my favorite. I sprayed it on a perfume counter before and first it was far too strong. But as it developed I began to like to smell. Throughout the rest of the day I got complements from many people. I decided I needed that cologne. It is a beautiful scent, and such a good bargain! I like the classy/romantic sorta smell it has.

Code is also an awesome cologne. Woody, romantic, classy smell. But it is much too common. I smell it all the time, and I need something a little more unique. I think I'm going to try to sell the 3/4 of the bottle I have left. My mom bought it for me for Christmas and while I enjoy it, I want to stand out.

Oscar for Men was given to me by a friend. He got it as a gift and he doesn't wear cologne, so I took it. It's sorta musky/outdoorsy smelling. I enjoy it, but I don't think it's particularly my sort of scent.

I prefer romantic/classy smelling colognes. It's hard for me to find the right cologne because

1) when I go to perfume counters, usually they carry the most popular brands. and as I said, I want to smell unique.
    2) when I go to perfume counters, i get a headache very quickly and can't even tell the smells apart!

And there are just SO many different fragrances. So help me out. How do I figure out what scents are right for me?

Default Re: How do I find what's right for me?

Check our Basenotes reviews (ooh, I got all proprietary with that "our"... grins) ... read the posts... and order samples of things you think you might like, would be my first three suggestions. There are loads of sources out there for samples... luckyscent, The Perfumed Court, Rei Rien, etc. where you can spend a small fortune in samples but get loaded up on a good cross-section to try before you go FB crazy (which is good advice but not advice I followed myself... funny how that works.

You're in the right place to help you get started collecting romantic and classy scents! Welcome to Basenotes!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Since you like Dreamer and it gets you compliments, it sounds like a keeper to me. Code is good too, but I understand wanting to stand out. I buy most of my stuff online. I know that there are so many colognes out there, that buying something relatively unknown, but fantastic smelling is one of a basenoters most rewarding experiences. If you want to stick with a sweet oriental type fragrance, you can certainly find websites that will help with other suggestions. There are also some great cologne companys besides the obvious Armani, Boss, Klein, etc. to chose from. If sweet frags are your thing, though, I'm sure this forum would give you tons of references for other colognes. I'd recommend ebay as a cheap starting point for samples.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

mr tinkle, I had that exact same experience before I found Basenotes, so congratulations! You're in good company.

What I did then was getting tons of perfume samples and taking my time sniffing through them, figuring out which aspects of a scent I enjoy. Turns out I enjoy many different kinds but the style is usually the same: smooth, subtle, with a timeless appeal. I don't believe in sticking with just a single fragrance and treat them like accessories, matching the right fragrance with the right occasion.

Welcome to Basenotes.

Thanks for the advice. I was at the mall today and smelled burberry touch for men. I really enjoyed it.

I've come to the conclusion that my favorite scents have a soft floral sort of outter aroma, with a woody masculine base. I believe these fragrances smell the most romantic and classy.

I guess the difficult part of fragrances is that it's really hard to put words on what exactly I like! What makes a cologne "romantic and classy?" I mean, isn't that even subjective to the person?

It's insane the amount of types of scents there are out there. But, a lot of them do sort of have a "generic" smell to them though. (As I said in he first post, like the CK, Polo, etc)... but it's awesome finding different scents that work for me.

Can anybody reccomend me any scents I should be looking at that are similar to Dreamer, Code, Touch... with that sexy romantic sorta element to them?
    Last edited by mr. tinkle; 10th July 2010 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. tinkle View Post
    Oscar for Men was given to me by a friend. He got it as a gift and he doesn't wear cologne, so I took it. It's sorta musky/outdoorsy smelling. I enjoy it, but I don't think it's particularly my sort of scent.

I prefer romantic/classy smelling colognes. It's hard for me to find the right cologne because

1) when I go to perfume counters, usually they carry the most popular brands. and as I said, I want to smell unique.
    2) when I go to perfume counters, i get a headache very quickly and can't even tell the smells apart!...
    I think you have a decent collection to start off with. Unique ? In the cooler months try Fahrenheit Absolute.

If you want to find less common fragrances, try the more "smaller" fragrance shops ( and not Sephoras or Dept Shops)

Last part, I usually prefer to buy samples from people ( on other sites) and/or swap for them. At least then, I can take my time and be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. tinkle View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I was at the mall today and smelled burberry touch for men. I really enjoyed it.

I've come to the conclusion that my favorite scents have a soft floral sort of outter aroma, with a woody masculine base. I believe these fragrances smell the most romantic and classy.

I guess the difficult part of fragrances is that it's really hard to put words on what exactly I like! What makes a cologne "romantic and classy?" I mean, isn't that even subjective to the person?

It's insane the amount of types of scents there are out there. But, a lot of them do sort of have a "generic" smell to them though. (As I said in he first post, like the CK, Polo, etc)... but it's awesome finding different scents that work for me.

Can anybody reccomend me any scents I should be looking at that are similar to Dreamer, Code, Touch... with that sexy romantic sorta element to them?
    Similar to Dreamer ? Not sure. Moschino Uomo has a similar vibe going.

Armani Code : Try Roberto Cavalli Black.

Burberry Touch : YSL Body Kouros has a similar base. But its a good scent in its own right. I dislike Touch. Body Kouros is quite nice.

I also really recommend Dior Homme.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 10th July 2010 at 03:10 AM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

i know exactly what you mean by that "generic" smell, drives me nuts at Macy's!

Uniques (not many sadly):
    - John Varvatos
    - Varvatos Vintage
    - A*Men
    - Le Male (supposedly popular but where i live, not at all)
    - Givenchy Pi - weird, soap-like sweet wood that drys down to a marshmallow smell
    - Fahrenheit is super-unique. its the smell of tractors, mowed lawns...while simultaneously being an extremely dense, green forest
    - Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne - its generic in the light-citrus sense, but its grapefruit as opposed to bergamot or lemon, and i personally think its damn good (me being a hater of aquatics/lighter stuff)
    (not at macys but Sephora)
    - Rochas Man - sweet, with raspberry wood and some mocha/vanilla

some of these you may hate, some you may love. i DO know they are all very different from themselves and others. The two varvatos, especially vintage may appeal the most as they are tobacco-like in quality. (ive had someone think i was smoking a good, sweet cigar when i wore John Varvatos Classic) i highly recommend them both. the others may or may not be your cup of tea, but it never hurt to experience other fragrances.

Blog Entries

The first one that comes to mind that shares similarities with The Dreamer and Code is YSL's La Nuit de L'homme. When you mentioned floral with a woody base I also thought of Kenzo Power. Power starts very floral and unisex, but I think you'd like how it develops. Finally another one to try that I think is similar to The Dreamer is Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme.

What I did: sample, sample, sample!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Again, thanks for the advice from all! Very helpful community we got going here.

Givenchy Pi - weird, soap-like sweet wood that drys down to a marshmallow smell
    I've seen this one before, but never tried it out...sprayed it on a card I think and thought nothing of it. But I'd been sniffing a bunch of colognes so my opinion is distorted. It sounds like something I'd like. I sort of like "soapy" smelling fragrances. C

I should also mention I prefer more subtle fragrances, rather than ones that are more in your face. Ones that are harder to define....
    Last edited by mr. tinkle; 13th July 2010 at 09:07 PM.