Code of Conduct

Default Loooong absents....please bring me up to speed!

Hi all,

SixCats! saying "hello" after a long absents from Basenotes. It's been well over two years since I actively researched/collected fragrances. Before my absents, the following HOUSES and/or FRAGRANCES were some of
    my very favorites:

CREED TABAROME MILLESIME
    SANTA MARIA NOVELLA ACQUA DI CUBA
    LORENZO VILLORESI PIPER NIGRUM
    MPG EAU DES ILES
    SANTA MARIA NOVELLA NOSTALIGA
    L'ARTISAN DZING!
    MONTALE OUD CUIR ARABIE
    MPG ROUTE DU VITIVER
    CREED BORIS DU PORTUGAL
    SANTA MARIA NOVELLA PATCHOULI
    and there are other HOUSES to be sure.

What I'd like to know, has there been any MAJOR changes in the above listed fragrances in the last two years ?
    I understand MPG is NOT the same ? Also, are there other NEW Fragrances from the above list of HOUSES that I should consider ? Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Regards,
    SixCats! aka Tom Patrick

Default Re: Loooong absents....please bring me up to speed!

as far as the creeds you are safe, bdp is one of my favs. Welcome back.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome back and thanks for the update on Creed. Creed Tabarome Millisime is perhaps my favorite
    "all around" fragrance. I NEED to replace that Creed! Oooh yea, I too VERY much like Millesime Imperial! I miss that one as well.

Regards,
    SixCats!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Welcome back SixCats! The below listed thread touches on a relatively recent reformulation of Route du Vetiver. I used search words "Route du Vetiver reformulation" in the advanced search box at the top right of the screen It brought this one and others up. Probably will work with any others you want to know about too.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/231...092&viewfull=1
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Think you might like Le Labo Patchouli 24, Mazzolari Lui & Profumum Fumidus.

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome back and thanks for the update on Creed. Creed Tabarome Millisime is perhaps my favorite
    "all around" fragrance. I NEED to replace that Creed! Oooh yea, I too VERY much like Millesime Imperial! I miss that one as well.

Regards,
    SixCats!
    silver mountain water is good, millesime imperial is good,green irish tweed would be sharp as well.

SixCats, you have been missed!

Not enough castoreum talk without you!

Welcome back! The fact that I remember you tells me that I've been on this thing waaaaaay too long! Anyway, the first thing I thought of when I read your list was Fumidus, which has already been mentioned. It's a very expensive vetiver/scotch thing that is great in a barely wearable sort of way. You also need to check out Czech & Speake's Cuba, which contains a mad hatter's tea party of my favorite notes thrown rather insanely together. Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline is also something you must try even though it recently had a huge price hike. It's very smokey and one of my favorite releases of the last several years. Finally, Parfum d'Empire's Eau de Gloire and Fougere Bengale are great, the latter being a bit insane with it's lavender/curry vibe. (EDIT: You also need to try Cuir Ottoman since you're a fan of both Dzing! and Nostalgia.) As a fellow lover of most of your list, I think you'll find all of these worth at the least a sample. Welcome back!

Two fairly recent L'Artisans to try are Dzongkha and Fou d'Absinthe.
    Last edited by Tonyprince; 6th July 2010 at 01:21 AM.

Hey Sixcats, it's great to see you back here! I'm still around too, but mostly just reading stuff-- I don't spend as much time here as I used to; my posting has slowed greatly. I've been into some of the heavier EDP versions of Guerlain scents lately, such as Heritage, Habit Rouge, L'Instant-- and I have the EDP of Guerlain Homme on the way. I still think of you when I wear Tabarome Millesime-- you're the one who convinced me to do a 180 on it!

Cheers!

PiLSixCats!! Good to see you back! I've been away for a while also. Have to admit I have thought about you sometimes when I wore the Tabarome Millesime
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Hi guys,

Wow, I'm touched. Thank you Dave, kbe, Nsamadi, Scentsit, Tony, Indie and K-Owl for the warm welcome back and for all your nice comments. Also, thank you all for all the information and suggestions. I am keeping a new list. It's really good to be back here at BN.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Sixcats and knightowl? In the same thread!? This is like Basenotes homecoming! Sixcats, I'm sure you've already tried it, but your list has me thinking of Yatagan. You might also enjoy Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger.

As far as I know, none of the scents you listed have been changed. It's true that some MPGs are reformulated, but other than Santal Noble, I'm not sure which ones.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th July 2010 at 02:31 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Welcome back! I remember reading your threads when I was lurking. I was just thinking the other day where you had gone off to.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Welcome back SixCats !!. I also remember many of your posts when I was just a lurker. Great to have you here again.

Hi Tom,
    Welcome back.
    Renato

Hi guys,

Thank you all for remembering little (OK, not so little) ol' SixCats! LiveJazz, but of course I tried Yatagan!
    Pretty unique stuff. I have had some Miller Harris fragrances in the past but, not the one you mentioned.
    Man, it's soooo darn hot here in New England, NO fragrance would help today.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Hitting on some of the notes you list, there are definitely a few new releases worth taking a peak at.

When I think of the last two years in perfumery, there is one single event that really stands out. In your absence, the Oudpocalypse has happened. The virus has spread from house to house and perfumer to perfumer, and now there are great shambling hoards among the perfume industry chanting "oud" and bringing out whole oud lines in the vein of Montale. Even a very traditonal house like Caron has done three oud fragrances in a short space of time.

Whether this is good or bad depends on your view of oud, but it's certainly a dramatic change for what was an "outsider" note.

In other news, the Aramis line has returned a number of forum favorites like Havana, selling them at a reasonable price and apparently not reformulating them. A small and unexpected miracle in fragrance, to be sure. Tom Ford line canceled four of it's original Private Blends and brought in new ones and a musk collection. By Kilian has risen in profile around here a lot, and now is one of the forum favorites - their recent Back To Black was honey and tobacco hit around here. The same can be said of indie fragrance house Sonoma Scent Studio, which has actual won quite a few converts among the old-school masculines crowd on Basenotes. Meanwhile, Bond has developed an increasingly bad reputation for lawsuits and copycat scents.

Of the houses you mention, L'Artisan Al Oudh and Montale's Aoud Leather seem like releases you may like, though it's worth noting that that not only have many fragrances by existing houses have been released in the past few years, but quite a number of houses have come into existence. The fragrance world is expanding like a Jiffy Pop at the moment, and there's simply more of everything, whether it's more releases, more houses, or more people into this hobby in general.

^ Wow, what a thorough, accurate response!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    ...though it's worth noting that that not only have many fragrances by existing houses have been released in the past few years, but quite a number of houses have come into existence. The fragrance world is expanding like a Jiffy Pop at the moment, and there's simply more of everything, whether it's more releases, more houses, or more people into this hobby in general.
    Definite +1 on that. I think people have been hesitant to refer you to new scents from the houses you mention because so much recent discussion has focused on a wide, wide array of small houses that didn't previously get much attention.

I'll add:
    Amouage (not a new house, but definitely receiving renewed attention here)
    Profumum (already mentioned for their Fumidus, but they have many others worth checking out)
    Eau d'Italie
    Parfum d'Empire
    Histories de Parfums
    You're probably already aware of Parfumerie Generale, Le Labo and The Different Company

Oh yeah, you missed the Great Vintage Mitsouko Madness of 2009 (and vintage anything for that matter) and you're entering into the Indefinite War on Evil Reformulations. Oakmoss is our new legal tender.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th July 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Hi Sug,

Wow, thank you for that VERY informative post! Ahhhhhh yes, I should of known. Just before my absents about two or so years ago, I went completely NUTZ researching everything I could find about OUD. I still have a big stack of papers/research on OUD in my files. If memory serves, my love affair with OUD began around the time I received a couple of dozen ATTARS from a wonderful BN'er (and friend) Aamir in India. Around that time, I was searching for THE best OUD money could find. However, rare OUD (I mean the BEST stuff) is nearly impossible to acquire and if one could find the real McCoy OUD, it would cost a King's ransom! It is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to know if one is buying "the real thing" or a "lesser" grade of OUD. I pretty much abandoned my search for OUD (at least for the time being). Now, Mitti on the other hand! I have to search though my files but, there was one source of true/pure/high quality Mitti I was planning to buy. Off the top of my Head, I can't recall the source. High quality Mitti is a thing of beauty! Thank you Sug for all your help and suggestions.

LiveJazz, thank you Sir for your suggestions and help as well. Oooh LiveJazz, I should mention that as I type this response I am taking part in two of my other hobbies. My newest hobby...I collect both Irish Whiskey and Scotch Whisky. Tonight, I am enjoying a dram (or three) of POWER Gold Label Irish Whiskey and listening to SONNY ROLLINS (BLUE SEVEN) from Saxophone Colossus on my (third hobby) Vintage Audio gear using a circa 1950's (MONO) Vacuum Tube Amp and rare Stephens Tru-Sonic (175 lbs.) Horn Speaker. Ahhhh, it's all about the senses! Smell good, sound good, taste good and feel good!

Regards,
    SixCats! aka Tom Patrick

Basenotes Plus

Great to hear of another whisky lover here,Tom. Are you familiar with the superb Islay malts ? - Bowmore, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich, and my own personal favourite Ardbeg. They are surely amongst Scotland's finest and well worth sampling. Fellow basenoter Merlino was a fan too but he seems to have (temporarily ?) done a disappearing act. Good to know I'm not alone in one of my my other passions. CHEERS !!.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th July 2010 at 06:51 AM.

Hi Jon,

Ahhhh, yes indeed, it's good to know I too am not alone here at BN regarding Whiskey. Ooh yes, I am very "aware" of the Islay single malts. I am rather new to collecting Spirits and I'm sure I don't have to tell you, collecting Whiskey/Whisky
    (like collecting fragrances) is NOT an INexpensive hobby. I recently joined several Internet Whiskey/Whisky hobby sites and
    (like I did with Fragrances) have gone "over the top" researching everything Whiskey/Whisky. At this time, I only have a half dozen or so "Scotch Whisky" as (at this time) I prefer IRISH WHISKEY. However, I haven't tried the likes Lagavulin, Talisker, Laphroaig, Macallan, Ardbeg, Craggamore, etc. Oooh, my first Scotch Whisky purchases were a bottle of ARDBEG 10 and HIGHLAND PARK 12. I have stored those away until Fall! I have a few "Blended" Scotch opened : Teachers Highland Cream, The Famous Grouse Gold Reserve and (single malt) Tamdhu 10. So far, my favorite "Irish Whiskey" (that is available in my neck of the Woods) are : REDBREAST 12, JAMESON 12, BLACK BUSH, POWER, and THE IRISHMAN. Oooh yea, if it were available here in the U.S., I'd buy "MONKEY SHOULDER" Scotch just for the name alone!

Regards,
    SixCats! aka Tom

Welcome back SixCats! And since you're whiskey buff, I'd love to hear your opinion on Thierry Mugler's A*Men Pure Malt fragrance!
    Last edited by acjigga; 7th July 2010 at 11:07 AM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

Basenotes Plus

my first Scotch Whisky purchases were a bottle of ARDBEG 10 and HIGHLAND PARK 12.
    Top choices, sir !. Congrats.
    You are certainly right about the expense. I recently invested in a 1978 vintage bottle from the long defunct Port Ellen distillery on Islay. £245.00 (much to the girlfriend's disapproval). Our passions will be the ruin of us....
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th July 2010 at 12:28 PM.

If you think the Highland Park 12 is good, wait till you try the 18!
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sur la Plage

Hi Sug,

Wow, thank you for that VERY informative post! Ahhhhhh yes, I should of known. Just before my absents about two or so years ago, I went completely NUTZ researching everything I could find about OUD. I still have a big stack of papers/research on OUD in my files. If memory serves, my love affair with OUD began around the time I received a couple of dozen ATTARS from a wonderful BN'er (and friend) Aamir in India. Around that time, I was searching for THE best OUD money could find. However, rare OUD (I mean the BEST stuff) is nearly impossible to acquire and if one could find the real McCoy OUD, it would cost a King's ransom! It is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to know if one is buying "the real thing" or a "lesser" grade of OUD. I pretty much abandoned my search for OUD (at least for the time being). Now, Mitti on the other hand! I have to search though my files but, there was one source of true/pure/high quality Mitti I was planning to buy. Off the top of my Head, I can't recall the source. High quality Mitti is a thing of beauty! Thank you Sug for all your help and suggestions.

LiveJazz, thank you Sir for your suggestions and help as well. Oooh LiveJazz, I should mention that as I type this response I am taking part in two of my other hobbies. My newest hobby...I collect both Irish Whiskey and Scotch Whisky. Tonight, I am enjoying a dram (or three) of POWER Gold Label Irish Whiskey and listening to SONNY ROLLINS (BLUE SEVEN) from Saxophone Colossus on my (third hobby) Vintage Audio gear using a circa 1950's (MONO) Vacuum Tube Amp and rare Stephens Tru-Sonic (175 lbs.) Horn Speaker. Ahhhh, it's all about the senses! Smell good, sound good, taste good and feel good!

Regards,
    SixCats! aka Tom Patrick
    Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Great to hear of another whisky lover here,Tom. Are you familiar with the superb Islay malts ? - Bowmore, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich, and my own personal favourite Ardbeg. They are surely amongst Scotland's finest and well worth sampling. Fellow basenoter Merlino was a fan too but he seems to have (temporarily ?) done a disappearing act. Good to know I'm not alone in one of my my other passions. CHEERS !!.
    Welcome back SixCats!

If you haven't been to it already, I highly recommend going to the Islay Whisky Festival - it is a fantastic experience.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th July 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    If you haven't been to it already, I highly recommend going to the Islay Whisky Festival - it is a fantastic experience.
    Couldn't agree more, Joe. The festival is a wonderful experience, enhanced further by the beauty of the island and the welcoming nature of the locals. We have done it many times and certainly will again in the future.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th July 2010 at 01:04 PM.

Among whiskey enthusiasts, what is the general consensus on Jameson, just out of curiosity? Is it seen the same way Basenoters see AdG?

I really like Jameson. Otherwise, I stick to bourbons more than Irish/Scotch.

P.S., What frags have more of a bourbon smell, as opposed to Scotch? We always mention Scotch notes, but never bourbon! They are really very different, obviously.

Hi guys,

Hi Acjigga, A*men eh ? Wow, now that's a fragrance I haven't thought about in a loooong time! Is there a new Malt A*men ? JON, a 1978 Port Ellen, woooh! Perhaps one day, I can afford something that SPECIAL. When do you plan to open it ? Master...yea, I too heard that HIGHLAND PARK 18 is suppose to be something wonderful! MJ rates it at 92 points. HP18 cost $99.00 for a 750ml at the New Hampshire State Liquor Store (no tax in NH). It's worth the drive for me to head South to NH (from Maine) to buy Liquor as certain liquor is priced fifteen to twenty dollars LESS expensive per bottle! For example, JAMESON 12 is $15.00 less expensive in NH than Maine. Outrageous Maine tax! Pet, Islay Whisky Fest eh ? Oooh, someday, perhaps, someday. LiveJazz, Jameson (0riginal) would be (from what I understand) more along the lines of AdG I would think. JAMESON 12 on the other hand is a really NICE Irish Whiskey at a good price ($30.99 on sale in NH). JAMESON 12 cost FORTY SIX dollars in Maine! This is the reason I have now stored away about a dozen bottles of my favorite Irish Whiskey (Redbreast, Black Bush, Jameson 12, The Irishman) for Fall. In my humble opinion, I think one would have to spend upwards of $50 to $70.00 on Scotch Whisky that approaches the quality of MID priced Irish Whiskey. I dunno for sure. I suspect JON will have an entirely different opinion. Like I said (thus far) I prefer Irish Whiskey. I like it's taste/quality and it's LESS expensive cost. Ummmmm....do there exist FRAGRANCES with "Whiskey/Whisky" notes ?

Regards,
    SixCats!
    Last edited by SixCats; 7th July 2010 at 11:48 PM.

Tom welcome back! Good to see an old face again. I remember you as a powerhouse and dirty fragrance lover (take that as a compliment). A lot has changed in the past couple of years. Havana is back. Vintage Tabarome is discontinued. Creed has gone berserk with Windsor. Oud is the new thing. Actually in the past 6 months I've really gotten into pure oud oils. There are some great resources here on Basenotes. There is a "Discussion Group" on agarwood and oud that you can join. Also a large Agarwood oil thread. I've gone back and read through all of it. Great stuff but very expensive. Oriscent and AgarAura sell some great ouds.

Welcome back SixCats. You have been missed.

Concerning the Mitti Attar, is this the place you were thinking of?
    http://www.tigerflag.com/mitti_attar.html

I own a dram of this and its amazing, totally unique!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I haven't tried Mitti but I've heard good things about this site:
    http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/prices/attars.html

Hey hey AZ and ajmc!

Good to see you guys still here at Basenotes. AZ, thanks for the update. I guess things have changed quite a bit in the last few years. Wow, Creed discontinued Vintage Tab eh ? That is surprising! ajmc, I don't think Tigerflag was the site I was thinking about. I'm thinking it may very well be (as AZ suggested) White Lotus Aromatics. When I have time, I will have to dig through my files. I recall the site had lots of pictures of Mitti being made "the old fashion way", out in the fields of India using
    BIG "pot type stills". If memory serves, you had to buy a fairly large order of at least $100.00 worth of product to do business with this outfit. I believe this "outfit" provides Mitti (and other Oils) to many other companies. Ooooh, I have a lot of catching up to do!

SixCats!

I just want to pop in and say hello and nice to see you here again. I can't say that I'm that active anymore, but write the occasional post every now and then. Unfortunately I have no stinkers for you to test out. I'll let you know when I'll stumble upon one.