Code of Conduct

Default Spray On or Splash On

I am asking the question in the men's section largely because it deals (I guess) only with the application of an edt on men. On one of the forums in which I occasionally participate, several of the members are rueing the presence of spray nozzles on edts, maintaining that the proper way for men to apply edts is by splash. No particular explanation of why; just custom, I guess. On the other hand, I typically prefer to spray for no other reason than that is what most of the edt bottles I have are designed to do. I am addressing the question because I may buy an edt where there will be an option to buy the bottle with or without a spray attachment. Are there real reasons for either preference? Thanks for your thoughts, John

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Spray On or Splash On

My husband doesn't like to get the scent all over his hands, and always prefers sprays as a result.

Spraying is my preference. It distributes the scent better without excessive waste. If I have a splash bottle, I'll decant it into an atomizer.

Sur la Plage

I spray, never splash.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Will never buy a splash.

AromiErotici

I purchase splash bottles on occasion simply because they are a little cheaper....or......that's the only version that may be available at the time I want it. I'll then use atomizers to apply it.

There's no advantage to splashing a scent on. It's more of a waste than anything else. Spraying diffuses the fragrance better and superior distribution is more economical in the long run.

Splashes are cumbersome, time consuming, and you can end up wasting some of the juice when it drips off the side of the bottle, or if too much pours out. For a small sampler that's one thing, but I find them annoying and really no better than a spray.

Basenotes Institution

99% of the time I prefer spraying a fragrance on. Even when I buy (or am gifted) small vials of fragrance, I will decant them into disposable atomizers to spray them on. IMO, I 'get' a fragrance better this way.

However there are a handful of 'eaux' cologne fragrances (Imperiale Extra Dry by Guerlain; Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain; Cologne A La Russe by Institut Tres Bien) that just smell better splashed on. So sometimes I do this - and the effect is usually denser, a bit more 'solid' sillage and instantly refreshing in hot weather. But, like as has been mentioned above, this always wastes a bunch of juice...which always makes me feel a bit decadent.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th July 2010 at 02:47 AM.

Eau D'Orange Verte & Eau De Campagne I always splash on a ton.
    Everything else I spray on a ton

I generally prefer splash bottles or applying a perfume by hand, rather than spraying. This is especially true with the really loud, powerful frags - I feel like I have more control over how it's applied. For example, I always apply Kouros by spreading it around with my hand, rather than spraying it. You can't splash Kouros, or else you'll die.

I hate splash bottles with huge openings, though. I have a big splash bottle of Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui with this big hole in the neck of the bottle, and I always end up pouring the stuff all over my hand, arm and onto the floor. It's a pain in the ass and a real waste of some great juice.

Dependent

I generally prefer spray, because it is potentially less messy - I consider spillage and over-pouring to be messy. But if the bottles I love are non-spray, and they only came that way, I'll have no 2nd thoughts on purchasing.
    Last edited by MFJ; 6th July 2010 at 04:33 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I splash on the lighter EDCs. Dab on the stronger or heavier orientals. Spray for all others.

Some things smell better on me sprayed, some smell better on me dabbed. Gris Clair, for example, smells better dabbed.

I don't splash, really.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus

Spray - always.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I generally prefer splash bottles or applying a perfume by hand, rather than spraying. This is especially true with the really loud, powerful frags.
    lol, I am the exact opposite! I prefer to spray heavy frags! Powerhouses smell better to me when lightly misted over my torso. This seems to shorten any harsh topnotes and turn the scent into a nice subtle aura, rather than a heat-seeking missle of harsh notes projecting from my wrists.

Also, a note on applying splashes...I never actually *splash* them with my hands. I dab them on my wrist by sticking my wrist on the bottle opening and turning the bottle upside down. I then spread this small "spot" of scent wherever I want. This is a slow method, but there is no waste, and you get all the control you need.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th July 2010 at 02:50 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

For very weak, cheap eau de colognes, I splash; for others, no.

I prefer a sprayer
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I prefer sprays too, but there's nothing like a few big, lavish splashes of Eau d'Orange Verte or any of the Marc Jacobs tonics. It feels extravagant and decadent.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I purchase splash bottles on occasion simply because they are a little cheaper....or......that's the only version that may be available at the time I want it. I'll then use atomizers to apply it.

There's no advantage to splashing a scent on. It's more of a waste than anything else. Spraying diffuses the fragrance better and superior distribution is more economical in the long run.
    Agreed. I have some splash bottles but they were only available that way. You can get some inexpensive atomizers from amazon or sephora easy enough.

Thank you all for your advice! Appreciate it!!

I use both techniques, because in time, I tend to get accustomed to almost any frag and thus to the proper quantity of it to be applied, whether this quantity best applied through spraying or splashing

Splashing just feels better - it is more decadent than the boring don't-waste-any-spray. Fragrance is meant to be a luxury and I like to splash on handfuls of light colognes. of course with heavier stuff metered sprays are more practical - just doesn't feel as good though.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Splashing just feels better - it is more decadent than the boring don't-waste-any-spray. Fragrance is meant to be a luxury and I like to splash on handfuls of light colognes. of course with heavier stuff metered sprays are more practical - just doesn't feel as good though.
    Interesting... I must try this for the decadent factor alone.

Definitely spray. I also put perfume on my clothes. If you use a splash on, and put perfume on your white shirt, it will leave a yellow (or whatever the color of the liquid is) circle spot on your shirt when it dries. If you wear white and use spray then the perfume particles are smaller thus leaving no marks at all on your clothes. So....spray on!
    Last edited by volley2; 8th July 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Blog Entries

splash is quite simply, stupid imo. Wastes fragrance, gets it on your hands, and its just a hazzard (what if you dont put the cap on right? hello air freshener for a year!)