Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default La Rose Jacqueminot is ready to travel!

Remember we had a fine traveling adventure when one rare and impossible to get fragrance flew around the world thus giving a chance to many people to be introduced to it and to have a first-hand experience?

I have an idea (well, to be totally honest, I have more than one, at all times! ).

How about parallel testing of 2 samples at the same time, both are Coty La Rose Jacqueminot, one is from the 50-s (we think!) and another is an 80-s re-issue. I got them both originally from Miss Taolady, and right now they are enjoying a company of another very fine BNer. When we speak about chypres, we think that everybody should know Mitsouko. When we speak about rose-based chypres, everybody should know where it all started too. The quantities are extremely limited, but there is enough for 10-12 people, I hope. Like before, you will try a little -- accurately, if possible -- and send it on to the next person. As we all try them, we might want to compare the notes and share the impressions.

Who wants to be next?
    Last edited by Twolf; 24th May 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Default Re: La Rose Jacqueminot is ready to travel!

This is fascinating. I'd like to put my name at the bottom of the list. I think the experiement is a wonderful idea. However, I feel like I'm still a neophyte. I've never heard of La Rose Jacqueminot . I would hate to deprive someone whose dreamed of it, or who has always wanted to try it of the opportunity to experience it. So, if you get ten put them ahead of me, and if you get nine. I'd like to be ten.
    Last edited by debbborra; 24th May 2009 at 12:39 AM.

That sounds good.

Just have read Ms.Z's remark on Purchases thread and thought of another thing: since it does not really matter if we pay $1.49 or $1.61 for the US small envelope, why do not I enlcose some other rosy chypres for everyone to try -- well, if they have not yet -- like Balmain de Balmain and C&S Dark Rose? And everyone who tries them all -- or skips some -- can put in more samples of rose-based chypres of their choice. I do not believe the envelope will be too huge to handle at the end of the journey.

What a wonderfully generous idea!! Wolfie - you da BEST!

Here's some info on La Rose: http://www.perfumeprojects.com/museu.../Coty_0079.php....which is one of my all time faves.Has small children cuddling up to you in super markets...strong males doing likewise. A seriously beautiful juice.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Sounds like fun -- I'm in! I have one or two rose chypres from Les Parfums de Rosine which I can include. (at least I'm pretty sure they are chypres per Luca Turin)
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

I've got the new andy tauer ( une rose chypree), it's a small spray sample that I can include.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

That's a great link, Miss Tao!

Hope we have more people sign up -- let's give it another week or so -- and then we can work on the best possible route so that the precious cargo does not go from NY to CA and then back to NY and crosses the Atlantics just twice!

Lovely idea. I could contribute old Knowing. May I participate?
    Evenstar

I have perles de lalique if that counts.

Do not worry if you have nothing to put in, it does not really matter -- we are to celebrate "el perfume de las personas elegantes" (notice how they did not say "signoras" or "damas".) However, if you have shareable amounts -- I was thinking about re-trying Knowing and Diva just this morning! -- go ahead and enclose them too.

Basenotes Plus

"Rose" and "Chypre"...can I play? These are two of my favorites.

As far as contributing scents....I have Frederick Malle's Une Rose, which I think people should smell, if they haven't. It's not an "old" scent but it's unique, I think. I also have Andy's, Incense Rose.

Just tell me what I need to do.

Wow fun, twolf I've been scouring ebay for about half a year for this fine fragrance please PM me with what I need to do!

I have about 15mls of Carons Rose extrait to contribute to this fragrant experiemt
    Last edited by lightgreen22; 24th May 2009 at 11:38 PM.
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Thanks guys for your PMs and posting here. These are all fine fragrances that we are trying to sniff! Anyway, it is about 1ml of vintage Rose Jacqueminot and about 2ml of the 80's version, so your 15 ml would be way too much, but I think 2-5ml would be fine!

No need to do anything at the point, I am just putting your names in a little purple book that I got here and so far I think we will start with CA, then TX and after that the East Coast and then Europe amd from there -- Asia.

I already have a vial of LRJ from a generous BNer, but I just wanted to compliment Twolf on a fabulous idea!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I know I'd love to try this!

We will give this thread/our people a few more days -- over the weekend? -- to make sure that those who wanted saw it -- and send it on the road. Once again, if you do not believe you have any other samples of Rosy Chypres, please do not worry and apply here anyway.

Can't wait!
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

One last call before I mail the package out tomorrow. The plan has slightly changed: from here (Mid-West) to Texas' own lightgreen22 and only after that to CA (kess, Arwen_Elf) then to the East Coast (Zibeline, RHM, debbborra), then Canada (Galamb_Borong) and Iceland (lian), and then back to the USA.

Those in Wichita and other Perfume Deserts, please do not complain that you have not been in the know.

Ok kind of nevouse writing the first review of this stunning fragrance

I did some reseach via google and found an interesting story about how this fragrance help launch Coty to fame and of course fourtune

The story goes that Coty had just arrived in Paris from the countryside (Grasse)
    he had just finish leaning the art of perfumery from the masters and had started to concoct his own creations. He formulated La Rose Jacqueminot and knew it would be a success, know all he needed was a store to sell it for him. Coty went to the Grands Magasins de Louver. he talked with the buyer there but had no luck, the buyer wouldn't even take a sniff of La Rose Jacqueminot because that department store only sold "eshablished" brands. As the buyer was showing Coty the door, there was either a wonderful accident or a clever set up. Coty dropped the bottle of La Rose Jacqueminot and the aroma permeated thoughout the hall. Woman emmideatly ran up and asked what the deliosious smell was (they might have been bribed). That day Coty started his sucsess

Now on the reveiw

The 1950's original is fantasistic

I was suprised at how much oakmoss they crammed in
    it came as such a shock
    then the beautiful Bulgarian rose "liquor" came in to play
    I was also surprised that a fragrance that has the name rose in it
    doesn't keep the rose in play very long
    overall this fragrance is definatly dominated by its
    oakmoss and musk components
    shortly after the rose leaves the musk comes out
    and sweetens up the fragrance there was also a unidintefied floral
    perhapse honysuckle and vannila that came into play in the closing notes

my overall impression is a heavy old fashioned chypre of course

I remmember reading on the PerfumeShrine blog list of what fameouse people wore list
    mentioning that all 5 of the last Grand Duchesses of Russia: Olga, Tatiana, Maria, and Anastasia wore this

It does read like a old world elegance fragrance

maybe a heavy velvet evening gown found in an old attic that worn by a socialite from a bygone era

I tend to think of my great grandmothers house from my childhood memories, the delicate sette sofa, a heavy looking chandelier made out of cut crystal, the coat closet full of musty mink stoles, although I doubt my great grandmother liked La Rose Jacqueminot (she wore Jean Patou's Joy devotedly and because of this preferance I don't think she would have liked the oakmoss and musk component of La Rose Jacqueminot)

Now on to the 80's reformulation

my first thought is

WHERE IS THE OAKMOSS?

oakmoss which was a major player in the original now is almost non-exsistent
    in turn the leading role of oakmoss is replaced by it's understudy musk

the other obvious aspect of the reformultion is that it took the rich Bulgarian rose "liquor" and turned it into a powdery Damaskus "lipstick" rose

I can't pin point it but there's a certain "mettallic" smell to the 80's reformulation that I really don't like, then again I've never liked metallics. The 80's reformulation seems much more steamline than the original

the one thing I do like about the 80's reformulation is that the rose even though differnt from the original is kept in play way longer than the original

to wrap things up comparing the original to the reformulation is like
    comparing

Velvet to Vinyl

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

This sounds absolutely intriguing!

How odd.... I just bought a 10ml bottle of this knowing nothing about it. I have no idea which formula mine is but I'll compare to these reviews.

Lovin' a "Velvet to Vinyl" closing remark!
    Please keep'em traveling.

I found this little anecdote about La Rose Jacqueminot in the book Perfume Legends by Michael Eduards and I thought you might enjoy it.
    I am sorry for the poor quality of the scan.

Last edited by darkdreams; 14th July 2009 at 01:23 PM.

I am so looking forward to this! But perhaps sad to find the perfect rose when it is gone. Sigh

What was the first travelin' fume that was mentioned?

It was from another house though, it was Djedi.

Can someone with more knowledge confirm whether the bottle I received is the vintage formula (as I suspect it is)? The label is of the same style as the Chypre de Coty bottles, only pinkish (same script). The sticker on the bottom is gold and worn, and it reads 'Eau de Parfum'. The smell is divine, a deep but slightly honeyed rose with evident oakmoss.... like Nahema crossed with Parure. It does not smell plasticy.

Comments? I got this 10ml on ebay for a pretty good deal.

Please post a picture (or give a link) to what a bottle looks like. How big is the bottle? Was there only 10ml left out of 50/30/25? Is there a box that it came with? Does it have a sprayer mechanism? Does the liquid have the traces of aging? Any of the notes off? Slightly?

If it were a true authentic La Rose from before the 60s- I believe it would come in a splash bottle and not have "Eau de Parfum" on a label. It would say "parfum". Yours is a later version, after the 60-s, but to speak more about it we need a picture. Please?

Speaking of smell, it does not smell of Nahema -- and I have a vintage de***t from a very reliable source -- at all! Nahema is all about sweet sugary rose, La Rose is a different story. However, there are some elements uniting La Rose with Parure, I thought.

It is a splash bottle with a white screw on cap. The juice is a golden yellow. I believe it came from a set of Coty minis because I saw such a set for sale on ebay a couple weeks ago (the other bottles were Chypre and...? I forget). I will snap a photo tonight and post.

I'm giving LRJ a full wear now. You are correct it is less sweet then Nahema and the rose is darker and deeper. I love Nahema and thus made the association (prematurely) because both are high quality. There is a density to LRJ. Either way I really like it and only spent $15, but I am curious about the age.

just a quick update that i received the package from lightgreen today. according to published itinerary arwen_elf is next; i will be sending the package onto her

I am so excited!!! I can't wait!
    Evenstar

Impressions: The vintage version was definitely different from the reformulation -- the reformulation was brighter, but also louder. The rose note was similar, however -- deep rose liquor, made me think of cabernets -- the deep color, the tangy taste.

In the vintage version, the rose was softer and definitely mossier. In the 'new' version, the moss (or moss equivalent) reminded me of old paperback books somehow, slightly dry and musty.

I was not getting much musk, but perhaps I'm anosmic to certain musks.

Dry down was different too. Same as Lightgreen, I noticed that the rose in the new version stayed prominent into the drydown, staying bright and crisp, where's in the vintage version I was getting soft-powdery moss mostly, with just a hint of rose.

Overall, the vintage was more enjoyable, because of the 'paperback' impression from the new version.

Some other rose samples were included in the package (thanks Twolft and/or Lightgreen). The 'rose liquor' note was actually prominent in Floris sample (but there's no moss); there was plenty of moss in Ayalitta (almost all moss, very little rose). I added a sample of Une Folie de Rose from Les Parfums de Rosine, which is somewhat reminiscent of the vintage Rose J in feel rather than notes -- once the aldehydes in the opening burn off. BTW, whoever included CdG Garage, that was a cruel joke!!

Okay, off to the post office to mail the package to Arwen.

La Rose Jacqueminot is chez Arwen!

Nice package of goodies too I will wait until tomorrow to smell it because I went to Scentbar today and I don't think I have any skin real estate left to try any more perfume today.

Who gets it next?
    Evenstar

Zibeline? RHM?

Last time I recall seeing Coty minis of the trio Chypre/ Les Muses/ and LRJ was probably in the sixties. So that's quite a nice find there. There is a one ouce bottle of LRJ EDP on ebay now. The seller is at 100% positive feedback at this time. It looks like a splash which is consistent with a nice older bottle. There is also a 1.75 spary on line which appears newer despite the deco looking box

I have Folie de Rose and do not get a vintage feel at all, AL Rosa de la Luz and Creed's Bulgarie are both very vintage smelling to me.

With all the interest in gardenia scents I am surprised I never hear Les Muses mentioned. Correction: the prices are nuts! These are probably going, if they are selling at all, to collectors with way more mad money than Zibeline!
    Last edited by Zibeline; 25th July 2009 at 02:58 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I'm here!
    Send it on, please. I can't wait.

Just thought I'd put a note in about the order of sending the samples - I'll be out of the country till about August 15th. If I'm back before it's due to be shipped my way, great, but if not, feel free to change the order and give others a chance to sample ahead of me.

Is it lost or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Is it lost or what?

No, not lost. Arwen still has the megapackage. I have added Knowing and it will travel tomorrow. Sorry I missed the post office all last week. Heavy week at work, I even worked Saturday.

Please my sincere apologies for keeping the package this long.
    Evenstar

Good girl! No need to apologize, it is part of the process -- no deadlines, pure enjoyment, IMHO.

Love.

Thank you Twolf. La Rose is so beautiful, the vintage version seems more vibrant and bubbly, but both are beautiful. I also liked all the other goodies that were added. It is funny, I can recognize the penmanship of some of the BNers. I know Kess added a few things.

It is lunch time here in Southern California and I made it to the post office, yay!!!!
    RHM should receive the package before the weekend.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

The package arrived Saturday. The only "victim" of the traveling has been the vial of Roses Musk, which smells lovely but is, alas, empty.
    I'll spend some time with this & add my thoughts. I see mention of Nahema. I have that in extrait, so I'll add a little for comparison sake before I sent this on.

TTT for RedHotMama in case you can't find the thread!

wow it's been a very long time since this little fragrance experiment began

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Smile Re: La Rose Jacqueminot is ready to travel!

I have been informed that the package is on its way to me and should arrive any day. Will keep you posted

When I arrived home from work, Les Roses package was waiting!

I immediately dove in and tried the very vintage LRJ. It is perfect. To compare it with other scents, well maybe Nahema+Coty Chypre - benzoin, cyclamen, as the LRJ is more floating and soaring than Nahema which I find rather weighty and resinous. The mossiness adds a fresher quality to LRJ one that speaks of evening gardens near a mossy wood. Rose "liquor"? Yes, but well tempered with the moss and it has a clean sultry not boozy feel.I don't get velvet or chandeliers, just a cool marble floor with the moss he roses and a breeze...bliss. I will be scouring ebay, I tell you, scouring for this.

The newer LRJ is less mossy and while I don't get a metallic feel I do think it has a synthetic note that makes it brighter and more modern. It lasted longer but that was gained at the expense of the overall feel of the scent. The liquory feel is more present in the remake.

In the packet there were samples of EL Knowing, Nahema Parfum (rosier and more resinous than my PDT, but with less sillage...and that is a good thing), CDG Garage (totally and weirdly accurate), Floris China Rose, La Folie de Rose, Creed's Bulgarie, Ayalitta, CBIHP Tea Rose and a couple others.

I will be adding Coty Chypre and Coty Les Muses (a white floral bouquet).

Very vintage LRJ is truly the Venus de Milo of roses. Exquisitely and painfully beautiful and a joy forever. Bring it back somebody!

Where does it go next?
    Last edited by Zibeline; 29th August 2009 at 07:20 AM.

Am I next?

I suppose you are, GB! Will it be convenient?

I thought I was next, no?
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Debbborra, of course you are, darling! Sorry about that!

No, no. That's ok. I've been very quiet lately.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Sorry, Debbborra - wasn't trying to steal your turn. Hard to tell which Basenoters are still around since the list was first compiled.

I never thought that for a second

Nah, she is here to stay, I hope! She has already Blind Sniffed back in the spring, and -- not quite rapidly but steadily -- approaching her 1,000 post. She is ours, I thought?

822! My goodness. Oh my.

It has arrived! Thoughts to follow! Galamb, you're next yes?

Yup, I'm next!

I'll PM you with my address.

I was thrilled to be able to try these fragrances and in some ways my reactions surprised me. Also, sadly the timing was not great for me. It was a week filled with low energy and distraction, and finally of late my interaction with scent has regressed. I no longer wear it as analytically, picking out notes and trying to understand the intention. I've gone back to a more childlike way of experiencing scent in terms of yummy icky better worse.

All the above said, I loved the vintage and thought the reformulation was a nice approximation. To me, and granted as I've stated above I am not really the best person to give an impression, I thought the vintage smelled fresher and more modern than the one from the '80's. Clearly, I'm in the minority here. Set against the others in the package you see an idea and an intention that connects them. I thought the knowing was a particularly interesting comparison.

I added some Perles de Lalique. There you see how the modern fragrance industry has broken up with moss and married wood. We seem to be striving to smell like the inside of a box of late. That's not a criticism, I am personally quite drawn to woody fragrances. But the trend becomes more stark in direct comparison with what was happening in the last century.

The package arrived today. There are a whole bunch of samples here! I think I'll be about a week getting through these and reviewing them. I started with a side by side wear of the 50s and 80s LRJ.

These two could not smell more different to my nose! I would not have recognized them as the same fragrance. I think the top notes may be faded in the first, because it went straight to a smooth, floral, heavily mossy, slightly spicy, chypre base. It's stunning, I have smelled nothing like it. The moss note is surprisingly fresh and bright, not like any other I've smelled.

The 80s version smells more like the kinds of chypres I'm used to, and thus, wasn't that interesting to me. The rose is distinct here, as is more citrus, and a distinct tinge of geranium to my nose. The mossy base is darker, more animalic, kind of flatter and duller to my nose, too - a bit more musty, like the moss I'm used to.

Personally, while the 50s version is something really wonderful and unique, I wouldn't go out of my way for the 80s, as I think I've smelled better of its kind elsewhere ( Rose de Nuit and L'Arte di Gucci, for example ).

Keep them for as long as need be, glad they have arrived safely.

Some thoughts on some others:

Guerlain - Nahema

I was totally unimpressed by this one. Dark, muddy, and uniquely "oily" rose - I really do get a vegetable oil vibe from this - that reminds me of a cheap essential oil dilution. In the base it becomes vanillic and has a flat and lifeless peach note. One of the most disappointing "big name" fragrances I've come to know.

Creed - Fleurs de Bulgarie

I like this one. It smells like a more restrained version of Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau, the top notes riding the same bracing galbanum and rose rush. Here, the accord is less strident, darker, drier, and a touch soapy, giving off a distinct "clean" feeling. The base notes are very dry and woody - it smells like a mens' fragrance more than a women's soliflore.

Montale - Roses Musk

Was empty but still quite strong smelling, so I smeared the edge against my wrists. Obviously, no way to judge a fragrance, but it was quite noticeable none the less. I like the rose and white musk combo - not a fan of the berry note.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 27th September 2009 at 02:41 AM.