Code of Conduct

Default SOTD Monday 6th July, 2010

Up early this morning for a day of supply teaching.
    I have chosen Youth Dew Amber Nude.
    Have a great Monday everybody!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Monday 6th July, 2010

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

FLEUR DU MALE

Default Re: SOTD Monday 6th July, 2010

Well Secrete Datura by MPG pre reformulation.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

I am an every day superman today in Antiheros by one of my favourite houses, Etat Libre d'Orange.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Good morning everyone SotD is Madame X and I'm very happy about my choice! Just really hope this isn't discontinued!!!

Happy Week

Today i am in FERRE by G.FERRE
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Guerlain Homme Intense.

Notes include peppermint, rum, rhubarb leaf, floral accord, geranium, patchouli, cedar and vetiver.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

E.Courdray Musc et Freesia today

I'm wearing Vanuatu sandalwood oil, and really enjoying it, but I think it may have International Sate Line molecules in it that have impacted my time space continuum interface, because I am still having the 5th of July, although the thread title says the 6th.

I don't participate in time zones, and maybe those molecules have taken it personally, because the International Date Line has always considered itself to be, you know, so special and all...
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Happy Monday!

I'm in L'Artisan Tea for Two again today.

Basenotes Plus

Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Royale

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Carnal Flower ... clothes are merely superfluous.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Hello everyone!

I'm in La Perla's Parfum Privé again, a luminous and beautiful "chypre" from 1997. To my nose it's really more of a rosey floral with a green edge, but I suppose there is a certain chypre-y "perfumey-ness" to it... pefectly gorgeous, at any rate. Parfum Privé feautures clementine, magnolia, sandalwood, musk, orchid, freesia, osmanthus, rose hip, vetiver and ylang-ylang.

Y'all have a great day!

Scent of the Evening

YSATIS
    de GIVENCHY

Vintage Eau de Toilette

OMG! Just bought a bottle of the vintage juice a couple of weeks ago,
    and my oh my, this is miles ahead of the thin, watered down modern one.
    This is the Ysatis I fell in love with years and years ago. Deee-licious!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 5th July 2010 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    OMG! Just bought a bottle of the vintage juice a couple of weeks ago,
    and my oh my, this is miles ahead of the thin, watered down modern one.
    This is the Ysatis I fell in love with years and years ago. Deee-licious!
    [/CENTER]
    That's the one I have too, Duc - I wore it on Saturday and thought of you every time I got a luxurious whiff of myself!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

A second day in TDC Sel de Vetiver.

I was hoping for a quiet morning on the front porch, given that it's a spill-over holiday here in the U.S., but the roadbuilders must be trying to put down some highway somewhere while traffic is reduced, so asphalt-laden dump trucks, with all wheelsets deployed, are rumbling by with regularity.

Quiet is a rare commodity here, living next to a quarry that dynamites regularly and which also has asphalt-recycling and stone-crushing facilities. Their maintenance and repair shop is our nearest neighbor, and some kind of machinery can often be heard beep-beep-beeping backing up. We're a half mile from an airport which, when I was a child, was quaintly festooned with a windsock and marked by a long row of parked planes, including biplanes, anchored by tie-downs cinched by their owners, but now launches corporate jets. A four-lane highway and a river are all that separates us from a freight line’s railroad spur, whose rumbling stock, dieseling locomotives, and singing horns actual inspire a kind of nostalgia most of the time. But even on the quietest Sunday morning, the low-grade roar from Interstate 94, just a half mile to the north, deducts from the whir of a dragonfly’s fluttering wings. (Sigh.) Around here, a severe snowstorm applying its road-blocking, acoustical blanket is a blessing … until the snowplows begin scraping iron against roadway.

All this is to say to those of you who have access to quiet: Appreciate your blessings.
    Last edited by Quarry; 5th July 2010 at 02:03 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    That's the one I have too, Duc - I wore it on Saturday and thought of you every time I got a luxurious whiff of myself!
    LOL, the whiff of a luxurious grandma!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Penhaligon's Endymion this morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Miss Charming, Juliette Has a Gun. I love it. Rose, patchouli, and musks. It's my go-to happy fragrance in the winter. Curiously, I'm finding something icy in it today, despite the patchouli. Do rose fragrances ever catch anybody else like this? I've noticed it with a few others, too, Mille et Une Roses in particular. It actually made my nose feel cold!
    Last edited by mel_lou; 5th July 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Smile Re: SOTD Monday 6th July, 2010

This morning I'm in Fresh Lemon Sugar. It is my single most complimented fragrance. Who knew?! It's lasting power is awful, so this afternoon I'll switch to Nicolai's Fig Tea, one of my favorite tea scents. That scent ALSO has terrible longevity, so I'll be able to mix it up tonight if I want....we'll see!

Giving L'Heure Bleue another chance this morning...but alas, so far the opening isn't catching me. I'll let it run through its notes before I say "oh well, not for me..." but it's headed that direction. It really does smell like a "compacted" version of Mitsuoko's sweeter notes and powder on the start, but not in a good way on me. So far. (I had a Basenotes Hourly Time-Out and applied a little more of L'Heure Bleue, used the sample up. I am "getting it" now, but it's not different enough on my skin than Mitsuoko, which is not as sweet. Ah well, as I say, another one I don't HAVE to buy!

Oh, cathodera, you made me laugh with your time zone geeky humor! (I think time zones are mad at me too, I keep many of my clocks set 10 minutes ahead of the "real" time and I think it sets their timezone teeth on edge)

And petruccijc... if the scent is half as yummy/intense as the model in the ad... RAWR! (did I just 'rawr'? Seems so!)

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day... my Sunday is starting out lazy...yaawwwnnnn.....zzzzzz.

And mel_lou ... I'll have to try out my Miss Charming sample and see if there's any iciness to that rose. Sounds intriguing! (also sounds like a good way to start my truncated work week tomorrow.)

Le Grand Duc and Evangeline, you two are naughtily making me want to find a vintage Ysatis!

And Quarry (this post just keeps getting longer at each edit!) ... I know what you mean about loud, though I don't live next to a quarry I'm half a mile from the railroad track (probably the railroad was the reason Norman Oklahoma became a town so the old town is set parallel to the track, while the rest of the town is on a NSEW grid)... and there's a body shop and several tire shops/auto services on the main street a block away, so it's rarely REALLY quiet here. Funny though how some of the sounds get filtered once you're used to them, the trains used to wake me up, now I don't even notice 'em.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 5th July 2010 at 03:19 PM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Le Grand Duc and Evangeline, you two are naughtily making me want to find a vintage Ysatis!
    Go for it, my love. It's fairly easy to get a hold on.
    Just make sure it has the cap like the one in my
    picture, and the name 'Ysatis de Givenchy', and not
    like this one here below, with the new shorter name
    and new cap.
    It's seriously water compared ... seriously!

Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 5th July 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by soirdelune View Post
    Carnal Flower ... clothes are merely superfluous.
    Oh I love that Soir ! .. and quite true !

This morning ,it's Golconda by Jar ...again. Me and my carnation kick .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Default Re: SOTD Monday 5th July, 2010

Dzongkha.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I received a decant of this from my dear friend today!It's Gorgeous!!!I ordered a bottle...i will share it with my husband!
    Thank you Esther for introducing me to this one and my one best friend from here for his incredible advice
    Last edited by sophi; 5th July 2010 at 03:36 PM.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Good Morning All. My SOTD is FRESH ' CITRON DE VIGNE ' I think I'll mix it up a little with L'OCCITANE ' MIEL & CITRON ' Have a great day everyone!!

Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion for my husband. This was always one he liked on me, and we're spending the day together. A rare day off for him, yay!

Basenotes Plus

L'Artisan Mure et Musc for me today..that & bug spray for working outside later when it's cooler.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Cathodera was right - I got the date wrong! It is indeed the 5th of July.
    I got up rather too early for my body clock to cope with! SORRY everyone.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Cathodera was right - I got the date wrong! It is indeed the 5th of July.
    I got up rather too early for my body clock to cope with! SORRY everyone.
    You can correct it, by editing your first post,
    and go under advance, there you can change the title!

The oh-so-lovely Coco Mademoiselle for me today. I've been sampling a lot lately, but today Miss Coco makes me happy.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

summer means fireflys

I'm testing Magical Moon today.

It's great to be back to my regular screen name. (Thank you, Grant!) Important safety tip: Always double check to make sure you are changing your User Title and NOT your User Name when in your Change Profile Settings.

It was a very embarrassing mistake that lead to a day and half of a major identity crisis.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I'm wearing Tauer's L'air du desert marocain.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I'm testing Magical Moon today.

It's great to be back to my regular screen name. (Thank you, Grant!) Important safety tip: Always double check to make sure you are changing your User Title and NOT your User Name when in your Change Profile Settings.

It was a very embarrassing mistake that lead to a day and half of a major identity crisis.
    Oh, good. I like your SOB name best and how you work with your avatar graphics. Plus … thanks for the settings safety tip!

Welcome pklagrange!
    Last edited by Quarry; 5th July 2010 at 05:40 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Good morning to all, and welcome to Basenotes, pklagrange!

A lazy day for me, so far, but the "to do" list is beckoning. I am testing Shalimar Eau Legere, thanks to a wonderful Basenoter! It's lovely, but Shalimar "belongs" to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, and thus doesn't seem quite right for me even in its lighter incarnation.

Happy Monday all! Last day of our three day weekend at home...

Started the day in Capucci de Capucci. Sadly, although I love this, it has no longevity on me -- I applied three times, then finally gave up (curious, do others have the longevity problem with capucci?) and switched to:
    Le Temps D'Une Fete. I love the natural, soft green, delicate, moist quality of this scent.

cathodera! You're making me laugh again!
    Appreciating the quiet as per Quarry’s instructions! (Although my Miss Parrot does a convincing beep-beep-beeping truck-backing-up. When she's not smoke-alarming. But she's quiet and calm today, ahhhhhh...)
    Hi mel_lou -- interesting that rose feels cold to you! I don’t get that, but rose often seems melancholy to me.
    Thanks for the Ysatis tips, Le Grand Duc, good timing! as just yesterday I was looking at Ysatis on ebay and wondering what was which!

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    Thanks for the Ysatis tips, Le Grand Duc, good timing! as just yesterday I was looking at Ysatis on ebay and wondering what was which!
    Excellent ...

actiasluna - I hope it doesn't disappoint you! But please do try it, I'd love to know what you think. I'm so intrigued by your comments about L'Heure Bleue; it's one of my favourites and the vanilla in the base comes through on me really strongly. It doesn't resemble Mitsouko on me at all. But I didn't really get Mitsouko until last week when it was really hot, either, so. Goes to show!

C Rose - Melancholy is a good word for rose, too, you're right. I don't know, it's not every rose. Drôle de Rose was actually warm, but way too honey sweet for me (plus, L'Artisan scents totally die on me after thirty minutes, no idea why), and L'Arte di Gucci was just ... sweaty and skanky and smooth but rough and wow, I need to revisit that sample, just turned myself on a little bit. But, yeah, some roses, what I think of as blue roses, pure roses, they strike me as being icy indeed.
    Last edited by mel_lou; 5th July 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Basenotes Plus

My first post was lost in cyberspace but I'll try to live up to my signature and do the zen thing and just pretend... it.. never... happened

I've got today off from work so I'm going to do a long post- which I never seem to have the time/ take the time
    petruccijc- thanks for the eye candy. I do so appreciate intensity in the young. I'm awake now (blush)
    cathodera- Vanuatu sandalwood oil? must investigate. I love my vanuatu tamanu oil for skin moisturizing (as seen on Dr Oz )
    soirdelune- truly excellent observation!
    sophi Arpege pour Homme is a great unisex
    actiasluna look for aforementioned on your next run to TJ Maxx, they had some recently. Coincidentally L'Heure Bleu on my skin is too cold and melancholy to want to wear it -despite my adoration of the G house.
    shadesofblue welcome back and please report impressions on Magical Moon. I have a sample and wore it on vacation once last fall - must revisit.
    pklagrange Welcome!
    Queen Quarry The meet up clock is ticking so fast! Reminds me of how much work I need to accomplish before my conference July 21-23 and since that is enabling me to attend the meet-up- I beter get on it - first thing back at work.

Have a great rest of Monday. I'm off to improvise a meal with leftovers and produce which needs to be used up.

SOTD: trying to improve sniffing skills so I'm comparing 4 similar scents- Cristalle left wrist, No 19 right wrist- Ma Griffe EDC right arm, Ivoire left arm.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 5th July 2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typos and stuff
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

L'Eau de L'Artisan for me today. I love lemon in the summer!

Hot'n'humid here. Eau de Cartier, the works, thanks to a wonderful BN friend.

Went to the town 17 miles away to buy bread and water, the store is closed -- they are still celebrating the 4th, so it is debatable about the dates. Had to go to another town, 35 miles away. Got a ripe blister on the back of the left heel from a new pair of shoes. And no, we were driving not walking these 35 miles.

Started packing a suitcase for vacation -- we are leaving this coming Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post
    actiasluna - I hope it doesn't disappoint you! But please do try it, I'd love to know what you think. I'm so intrigued by your comments about L'Heure Bleue; it's one of my favourites and the vanilla in the base comes through on me really strongly. It doesn't resemble Mitsouko on me at all. But I didn't really get Mitsouko until last week when it was really hot, either, so. Goes to show!
    After sitting with it, I've decided it's not bad at all. I just needed to apply more to begin, to get the scent.

My sister, who came up to can blackberries with me, thought it was really nice too.

(I think I may need to get another larger decant before I make up my mind on it though. <laughs> But yes, I am liking it better now that I've completely exhausted the sample ... yet another provided by a generous Basenoter!)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Go for it, my love. It's fairly easy to get a hold on.
    Just make sure it has the cap like the one in my (earlier)
    picture, and the name 'Ysatis de Givenchy'...
    Done. Found a vintage bottle with the gold angular cap, and pushed the "buy" button.

(shakes head... I really did not intend to buy scent all summer long but so far I've not done very well on that intention.)

And this evening after a shower to get the lawn work off me... I'm trying a sample (courtesy of a basenoter, of course!) of ELdO Jasmine et Cigarette... so far I think it's low-key and pretty. Do get both the jasmine (softly) and fresh tobacco (also softly)... will see where it goes.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 5th July 2010 at 11:58 PM.

I have switched to Terracotta Voile d'Ete for my SotE. Ahhh...

I'm wearing Leiber today. I think I have too much perfume cause I forget what I have lol. I haven't worn this in a while.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Hinoke Monocle Scent One tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    ............ we're spending the day together. A rare day off for him, yay!
    Likewise with my DH ,Lilybelle !
    This afternoon I wore Vol de Nuit and I got a compliment from a lady waiting for coffee at Starbucks . She asked who made it and that it was spicey-sweet. That's two compliments on Vol de Nuit so far! I admit I do love my Vol de Nuit.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I wore no scent today as we went browsing/shopping in Westport and I intended to smell a few new (to me) fragrances. Of course I came home with arms covered with different fragrances!

At L'Occitane I got few samples (sachets with a saturated wipe) of Secret d'Un Été (Summer Secret) Verbena Limited Edition EdT, which is coming out in 2 days. I was told this has notes of verbena, apple, basil and mint. Very bright and pleasant, but it fades exceptionally fast and in about 15 minutes I could not detect much verbena at all, never mind the other notes. I don't like respraying quite that often, so I think I'll stick to my Provence Santé Vervain for my verbena fix.

We also sniffed Verdon ("sort of minty, not the greatest" says hubby, and I agree-- I was underwhelmed) and their Cedar-- definitely Cedar, with grapefruit. Nice enough but not earth-shattering.

I also tried their Mimosa de L'Estérel on the back of my hand. It has a violet note, and I found it less sweet and powdery than L'Artisan Mimosa Pour Moi. Quite long lasting, considering it is not a powerful scent. I could still smell it after washing my hands later on. I brought home 2.5 ml. in one of my own atomizers, to try again. I may find this more wearable than Mimosa Pour Moi, we shall see.

At Bluemercury I was allowed to make my own samples of Acqua di Parma Colonia (I want to try this one) and Blu Mediterraneo Cipresso di Toscana (for hubby). We also sniffed Creed Zeste Mandarine Pamplemoussse and I smelled a number of L'Artisans that I hadn't smelled in a while. None caught my fancy. We bought instead several body washes that we have always liked, and here I may surprise you by saying it is Mustela 2-in-1 Hair and Body Wash-- what a great scent! You would never guess it is marketed for babies and toddlers. My husband loves it.

At Parfumerie Douglas I sprayed a card with YSL Paris and brought it home in a baggie to compare with my bottle at home from the early 2000s, to see if there had been a reformulation. I may be imagining the difference, but the new one makes me sneeze and the older one doesn't! The older one is softer, and I notice the violets in the older one more.

Then on to Dovecote to try Kai oil (again) and ponder whether to buy a bottle for Mom. In the end the price tag of $45 for 1/8 oz. was more than I was wishing to spend for so little.

Instead we went on to Whole Foods and I got Mom a Pacifica body butter in the French Lilac scent, and a perfume solid of the same for myself (unsniffed, as there was no tester for the solid.) The perfume solid turns out to have a slight grassiness that the body butter doesn't. It also stays very close to the skin, more than the Waikiki Pikake scent does in the solid. On the whole, I prefer the French Lilac body butter rather than the solid or spray.

And now we're watching O Brother, Where Art Thou? (daughter never saw it) and laughing again at the many comical parts.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 6th July 2010 at 02:58 AM.

Basenotes Plus

SOTE = Cabaret by Gres.
    Bye, Bye, long weekend
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home