Code of Conduct

Default You know you put on too much when...

I thought I would make this thread in light of what happens at work on a continuous basis. I work at a hospital, an Emergency Room to be exact. I have noticed that someone was wearing a fragrance and I pinpointed that it was one of the male doctors (in his 60s or 70s) and holy crap I could smell him literally from 30 feet away. He must use more then 25 sprays. I only know this because he comes into work smelling strong and about 10 hours later the smell has not let up at all.

For the longest time I thought he was wearing something close to Di Gio so I finally manned up and asked what he was wearing. He said Polo Black. One day he wore so much that when he passed me by the nurses station a security guard came up to me about 5 minutes later asking me if I am wearing "perfume" which I was not.

He wears so much fragrance that I have a headache and want to vomit. You know you are wearing too much when a guy like me who has a horrible sense of smell wants to die because of how much fragrance you put on!

Anyone else know a culprit like this?

Default Re: You know you put on too much when...

I run into that a lot here in Los Angeles with Le Male. I just can't wait for "Terrible" Le Male.

I guess the culprit might be me sometimes. I have heard people say things like, "I could smell Brad before I see him".

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

You know you put on too much when... the smoke detector goes off whenever you walk by.

A doctor wearing strong cologne has to be one of the least appropriate scenarios i can imagine.

I used to have days like this ten years ago. That was when I would wear stuff like Gucci Envy and Eternity and layer the EDT with shower gels, deo sticks, aftershaves,etc. I caused more than a few people to get sniffle attacks and headaches. I learned to stop overdoing it and just use one of these products at a time with better results.

I find women are more guilty of over applying fragrances then men. Catching the bus or going to work on the train you have to run a gauntlet of different perfumes that make you want to choke. I think it's a case of people becoming unaware of how much they have applied because they become numb to their own scent. In your case a hospital is the last place you want to be over whelmed with a strong scent. Maybe the guy hates that anti- septic smell that pervades most hospitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I find women are more guilty of over applying fragrances then men. Catching the bus or going to work on the train you have to run a gauntlet of different perfumes that make you want to choke. I think it's a case of people becoming unaware of how much they have applied because they become numb to their own scent.
    It's about time someone mentioned this, instead of always resorting to bashing men who do the same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Maybe the guy hates that anti- septic smell that pervades most hospitals.
    Maybe there are other smells the guy's trying to drown out. LOL!

I'm a fellow hospital worker myself. I've smelled all kinds of B.O. and fecal-type odors. I usually get the feeling that people appreciate my scents. However, it's quite demoralizing when a hospital worker that you know is overexposed to the same nastiness as myself, starts gagging when they smell some new sample or whatever I may be wearing that day.

I must admit, reading your story I was thinking "aramis". I was in the gym and an old man was wearing it. I could smell him 20 feet away as if it were on my neck/chest. Then you said "Gio" and I was like, what? Polo Black must have some sillage because a manager was wearing it a few months ago and it was quite loud but smelled pretty good so I asked what it was. I agree with trebor although he was joking, the old physician has probably had a lifetime of smells that he doesn't care to remember.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sur la Plage

Well according to some people on this site - If you have applied more than 1/2 spray of any fragrance, then you have put on too much.......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I knew this guy (RIP Dennis) in High School. He must have bathed in Polo Green. I could smell him from 50 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Well according to some people on this site - If you have applied more than 1/2 spray of any fragrance, then you have put on too much.......
    lol, True. I was always a 1 sprayer and if I even put on 2, I really thought I was jazzing up! lol Just recently, I discovered the joy of wearing 5 sprays. I discovered that I can handle it but notice the compliments I am getting. I just don't think anyone could smell me before. I am becoming a true basenoter lol.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

When I was younger I used too much and was told by several people. I learned the value of subtlety, and I smell better for it. I also like the effect of women moving closer to me to get a good smell, rather than people moving farther away. I could probably handle 5 sprays, but I like to think of those who I share confined spaces with.

You know you put on too much when... people 5 feet away say that they can "...taste you from here."
    Last edited by argogos; 6th July 2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

when you start getting too many comments about it......not good ones!
    Im the be$t @ thi$

My art teacher in high school was just like your doctor-only it was the original Polo.His scent would actually waft into classrooms as he walked past!

When you get in the car with someone and they roll down the window even though the AC is on lol

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    You know you put on too much when... people 5 feet away say that they can "...taste you from here."
    Ha ha... I was gonna say: when your wife says "Gawd! What is that your spraying? I can taste it from here."

Hey now. That's a wee bit of exaggeration don't ya think?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Hey now. That's a wee bit of exaggeration don't ya think?
    No, I don't. I even remember someone making the comment "You have no class if you apply more than 1/2 spray".
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th July 2010 at 09:24 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

What is this "too much" that you speak of?
    One man's conspiracy is another man's business plan

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    You know you put on too much when... the smoke detector goes off whenever you walk by.
    From personal experience, amen!!

No, I don't. I even remember someone making the comment "You have no class if you apply more than 1/2 spray".
    Ok, then I agree with you there. Comments like that are outrageous.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I'm doing a much better job of toning it down. I've had a few comments to the negative over the years, but not that many considering how many times I have worn cologne in my life. Now three full sprays of just about anything is my standard. That's about perfect for your average cologne. Some more, some less, but three is a good safe place.

People tell you and / or make comments. Last time it happened to me a lady responsible of the cash register at a store said something like "someone is wearing too much perfume". I thought it was me, for I was trying a cheapy that I thought did not have much sillage at all. Blame it on olfactory fatigue, I overapplied.

Anyone around me starts to choke and gag, assumes I smell sweaty (though I showered many times that day, but just over-applied a frag afterwards) and gets really bad asthma attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Anyone around me starts to choke and gag, assumes I smell sweaty (though I showered many times that day, but just over-applied a frag afterwards) and gets really bad asthma attacks

And finally dies?

My girlfriend told me twice that the smell was very strong, once when I wore 5 sprays of Green Irish Tweed and the 2nd time when I wore 2 sprays (FROM A SAMPLE!!) of Cruel Intentions By Kilian
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    lol, True. I was always a 1 sprayer and if I even put on 2, I really thought I was jazzing up! lol Just recently, I discovered the joy of wearing 5 sprays. I discovered that I can handle it but notice the compliments I am getting. I just don't think anyone could smell me before. I am becoming a true basenoter lol.
    Haha, that's the spirit, it depends on how much you know the perfume. 5 sprays seems more than enough.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

When you feel like you have.
    Last edited by pluran; 14th July 2010 at 06:36 AM.

I can usually tell if I've OD'd on some frag because heads will turn right before their bodies walk briskly away. At work, I always knew when I was beyond the limits when my best friend -- who I love and respect -- would look at me with a crinkled nose and say, "what is that cologne you're wearing?" If I pressed her enough and asked for her opinion, the usual answer would be that I had too much on. I miss her input because we got along famously, but I never see her anymore. Hopefully I didn't asphyxiate her, LOL!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have run across both ladies and gentlemen who must have all been named Achilles--dipped in fragrance, mostly abominable stuff, up to (down to) their heels.
    Last edited by kbe; 7th July 2010 at 11:47 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

When you take a sniff of your wrist....you singe your nose hairs
    What other people think of you is none of your business, listen to mother, mind your own business

You've so heavily saturated yourself with it that even your urine reeks of your SotD.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

When you have clouds of fragrance above you because of all the evaporation.

Blog Entries

i know right? its safe to wear more than 2 sprays guys, youre not going to wipe out the human race. Anything over 8, irrelevant of the fragrance, i think is excessive

i was at the duty free shop in Heathrow last summer browsing fragrances... this guy comes up to the wall of fragrances, about 10 feet away from me. he picks up something cheap and nasty... Armani Code or some swill.. and proceeds to absolutely drench himself in the stuff. he must have sprayed (no exaggeration) 50 times all over his clothes and neck. i stood there staring at him, in shock. he didn't even notice me. i felt so sorry for the entire airplane he was about to board, much less the guy sitting next to him.

...When the birds outside your window are pointing at the skunk and laughing at him and he's curled up and crying in the corner.
    Just a joke, I love a generous application! I usually put on a lot and also loooooove it when a lady walks by and I can smell the sweet smell of her fragrance, or when I get a huge blast of scent from Sephora yards away...Sorry, that's just me....

No matter how much we love fragrance, we have to also take into account the feelings of the people we meet/ work with/ visit etc. Less is more, imho. Even spraying discreetly we may disturb persons with allergies but... well, at least we tried to be considerate. If somebody I meet ever tells me (s)he is allergic, I make a mental note that next time I won't wear anything. I was lucky enough to not have to work with people with this problem on a regular basis.

I wouldn't go with "1/2 spray" (not sure how that works anyway and seems exaggerated), but there are few - very few - fragrances which safely allow for more than three sprays. I would say two or - special occasions - three (in the winter only) is the safe amount to consider as a baseline, with exceptions. With Bois du Portugal one spray is enough. At the other end of the spectrum, citrusy colognes of very high and close to natural quality are the only exceptions I can think of with which four-five sprays are still respectful.

I'd say that anything smellable beyond two feet around us is already potentially intrusive, even if some people might like it. It also emanates an excessive yearning for attention, in my view.
    Last edited by Addict; 12th July 2010 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Ahh yes. I remember those days! All I had were summer scents back then so I imagine I had maybe a foot of sillage for an hour before it completely disappeared.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

A regular conversation in my office is..

"is so-and-so in today?"
    "yup, but I haven't seen him yet"

It doesn't bother me - he has good taste and layers creatively. I actively enjoy catching people's scent trails around the building - makes me wonder what it would like to be a tracker dog!

There's also a security guard at my local supermarket whose application of Joop must be quite a hindrance to catching shoplifters - it's fairly easy to tell where he is or has been on the shop floor!
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    I actively enjoy catching people's scent trails around the building - makes me wonder what it would like to be a tracker dog!
    Easy, that one: we would only wear Eau du Bark, but we would never slobber over anything coming from the dreaded houses of Meowlinard and Purrfums Nicolai.

Yip, yip, Grrrrrlain?
    Out here we are running for the wide open spaces, the road-smell after the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    Yip, yip, Grrrrrlain?
    My answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Do...e_his_bone.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Addict; 12th July 2010 at 06:06 PM.

I wore 3 sprays of Kouros to the office today. I'm the CEO, so I'm not that concerned about it, but still I never want to offend anyone with my cologne. I will definitely dial it back to two sprays next time. I had forgotten about this bad boy's potency. Still, no negative comments...but then, who would tell the boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Addict View Post
    Easy, that one: we would only wear Eau du Bark, but we would never slobber over anything coming from the dreaded houses of Meowlinard and Purrfums Nicolai.
    LOL --very cute!

Default You know you put on too much when...

When the person in the drive thru window compliments you on your scent.

This happened to me today and the scent was Millesimé Imperial. It was three sprays applied five hours earlier.

Just a drop is usually plenty for me. If I can coax less than that, I'm pleased.