Code of Conduct

Smile What Would You Do?

One day while picking up litter along the beach at low tide, I spotted a bottle half buried in the sand muck. I rescued it and took it home. After cleaning it up, I found a magnifying glass and was able to read Chloe. It appears to have never been opened. the cap is a bit rusted and likely will not come off without damaging the bottle. So, I have not opened it. I look at the bottle and can't help but wonder who lost it and how? Was a woman on a boat ride and it fell from her bag? Did it survive Hurricane Katrina possibly becoming lost from a home or store that was destroyed? I am sure one day the temptation will overcome me and I will be unable to stop myself from opening it. But, for now--it remains a survivor. I may take photos and put it on ebay with the story. I may give it away as a gift to a very special person. For some reason it seems too special and sacred a peculiar way to open and use. What would you do if you had found this special bottle of Chloe?

I am such a dork. I tried to post the pictures here, but was unable to. You can find the pics here
    Last edited by Suzi; 7th July 2010 at 12:25 AM. Reason: error

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What Would You Do?

I am way too curious to not open it! Who knows? Maybe floating around in the ocean, being sloshed about by waves, and being buried in sand has caused an unusual evolution of the fragrance, sort of a mutated version of Chloe. I would have to compare it to a new bottle of Chloe just to see how it differs. Are you familiar with Chloe?

I do understand your reluctance to open it, but I couldn't resist.

noggs

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I would open it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Even if I wouldn't open it, I could hardly fight me urge to actually do so!

Post Thanks / Like

Open it.

If you were a wine enthusiast and you found a vintage Bordeaux buried in your back garden, you would pretty much have to drink it, wouldn't you?

At worst, it smells terrible; best case scenario, you have stumbled onto a sort of liquid ambergris. You will have a little less uncertainty in your life, in any event, which is surely worth the hassle.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Open it! And take pictures for us!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's unanimous! OPEN IT!!

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Last edited by kbe; 6th July 2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I say don't open it.

For me the anticipation is often more fun than the doing.

I was dropping off a box of donations to a local Salvation Army thrift store years ago. As I was leaving the store I decided to take a quick look in their 'boutique' area. There a very well made but somewhat shopworn old violin propped up on a wall shelf caught my eye. After I lifted it down I managed to use the overhead lighting to peer into the body of the violin through one of the curving sound holes on it's face. With the right twist I could read through the dust and written (long ago I would think), in Latin calligraphy, in black ink, directly on the inside of the backpiece on the bare wood (no label) and very similar in style to that on this authentic Guanerious Del Jesu label:. Mine is dated 1734 with the 17- in block script as the rest of the inscription but the -34 larger and in flowing cursive style similar to but slightly larger respectively than the -29 in the pic . For $20 of course I had to buy it!

Now, I know this is a fake or at least the odds against it being real are so overwhelming as to be nearly infinite, so I just leave it sitting on my shelf and occasionally look at it and think..what if? MUCH more fun than knowing absolutely for sure it's a phoney.
    Last edited by kbe; 6th July 2010 at 03:27 PM.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Suzi - the suspense is killing and it's all very interesting.
    kbe- a fab story !

Me- I would probably take pictures first and then open it .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

I would open it and release the genie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't open it, especially since you say you cannot do so without damaging the bottle. Exposure to sun, rust, and possibly other elements has likely turned the contents, and not in a good way. I'd get a sample of Chloe so you know what it's supposed to smell like, or would have smelled like to its original owner, and enjoy musing about what kind of person she might have been. This bottle has a story, a history, and some mystery. I'd definitely leave it intact.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I have huge experience in self discipline:-) . I think Chloe should buy it back, unopened.
    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I am way too curious to not open it! Who knows? Maybe floating around in the ocean, being sloshed about by waves, and being buried in sand has caused an unusual evolution of the fragrance, sort of a mutated version of Chloe. I would have to compare it to a new bottle of Chloe just to see how it differs. Are you familiar with Chloe?

I do understand your reluctance to open it, but I couldn't resist.

noggs

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I would open it!
    What if I detest it? It would be so disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Open it.

If you were a wine enthusiast and you found a vintage Bordeaux buried in your back garden, you would pretty much have to drink it, wouldn't you?

At worst, it smells terrible; best case scenario, you have stumbled onto a sort of liquid ambergris. You will have a little less uncertainty in your life, in any event, which is surely worth the hassle.
    You have a valid point; but for now-I think the mystery is appealing.

Ok. I finally got around to taking pictures, but I could not post here. I edited my original post and added the spot where I could manage adding photos. If you go there, you will see the bottle is precious in its weather beaten state. I cannot open it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Suzi - the suspense is killing and it's all very interesting.
    kbe- a fab story !

Me- I would probably take pictures first and then open it .

That could be a solution. I need to find out what the scent is like. It appears to be a plain Chloe version, without any thing else added to it. The novice research that I did could put it anwhere between 1975 and the 90's. I think it is not the perfume, rather the bottle that should be applauded. One can only imagine what it has been through. Perhaps I will keep it for my "survivor" mascot. Even if it did not survive Hurricane Katrina, to have survived at all is spectacular. If you look at it--it is beaten, but not broken--a life lesson many people experience.[/U]
    Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    I wouldn't open it, especially since you say you cannot do so without damaging the bottle. Exposure to sun, rust, and possibly other elements has likely turned the contents, and not in a good way. I'd get a sample of Chloe so you know what it's supposed to smell like, or would have smelled like to its original owner, and enjoy musing about what kind of person she might have been. This bottle has a story, a history, and some mystery. I'd definitely leave it intact.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Suzi - I had a look at the pictures . Well ,you must do what you feel is best. It is a keepsake .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, now, you do have an interesting bottle, whereas if you open it you will have only a not-so-old fragrance, which may have turned anyway. You can probably find a bottle of vintage Chloe on eBay to satisfy your desire to know what it would have smelled like, while keeping your bottle intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Suzi - I had a look at the pictures . Well ,you must do what you feel is best. It is a keepsake .
    Mimi, thanks for your opinion. Even if it is a $9.99 bottle of cologne. It is a survivor, and a keepsake. I wouldn't trade it for a case of new Chloe. Well... I might be motivated to trade it for something. Nawww.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Well, now, you do have an interesting bottle, whereas if you open it you will have only a not-so-old fragrance, which may have turned anyway. You can probably find a bottle of vintage Chloe on eBay to satisfy your desire to know what it would have smelled like, while keeping your bottle intact.
    Good idea. Do you think it is vintage? Could I just buy the same on-line or maybe in a store?

KBE, I agree with Mimi, your violin story is a treasure. I will not open it. Members here have given me alternative solutions to satisfy my curiosity about the fragrance. I would like to find out the age of the bottle just to get an idea of what it has been through. It may have been dropped by a local recently, or dropped by someone far away as early as--1980? It may be possible to narrow it down to Hurricane Katrina, maybe not. Mystery.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I say don't open it.

For me the anticipation is often more fun than the doing.

I was dropping off a box of donations to a local Salvation Army thrift store years ago. As I was leaving the store I decided to take a quick look in their 'boutique' area. There a very well made but somewhat shopworn old violin propped up on a wall shelf caught my eye. After I lifted it down I managed to use the overhead lighting to peer into the body of the violin through one of the curving sound holes on it's face. With the right twist I could read through the dust and written (long ago I would think), in Latin calligraphy, in black ink, directly on the inside of the backpiece on the bare wood (no label) and very similar in style to that on this authentic Guanerious Del Jesu label:. Mine is dated 1734 with the 17- in block script as the rest of the inscription but the -34 larger and in flowing cursive style similar to but slightly larger respectively than the -29 in the pic . For $20 of course I had to buy it!

Now, I know this is a fake or at least the odds against it being real are so overwhelming as to be nearly infinite, so I just leave it sitting on my shelf and occasionally look at it and think..what if? MUCH more fun than knowing absolutely for sure it's a phoney.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This version of Chloe is still available at many drugstores and low-end retailers like Walmart and Sears. Despite what the Directory says, I'm not entirely sure that it's really discontinued. A 1 oz bottle should cost about $20. I doubt you'll find testers, but I could be wrong. My curiosity is piqued enough that I'm going to stop by my local pharmacy soon and see if they have one available to sniff.

I'm glad you're keeping the bottle intact. I appreciate your perspective that it is a symbol of survival. It would be a shame if something that has survived the perils of nature for who knows how long should so easily become irreparably broken due to simple curiosity. Chloe is common enough. This bottle's value is in its testament of endurance.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thanks to you and everyone that participated, I was able to come to the same conclusion myself. I will be looking for the very same issue to sample. If I wear it (from a new bottle) I will visualize the experience of finding the subject bottle. When I wear it, and I hope I will want to, it will be a reminder that I, too--am strong, resilient, and a survivor. It will bring the quiet assurance and confidence one needs for interviews and tackling tough negotiations. A "Si Se Puede" Spirit. SO, the original stays as is and we are off to find me a replica. I will appeciate references. Again, thank you so much.
    This version of Chloe is still available at many drugstores and low-end retailers like Walmart and Sears. Despite what the Directory says, I'm not entirely sure that it's really discontinued. A 1 oz bottle should cost about $20. I doubt you'll find testers, but I could be wrong. My curiosity is piqued enough that I'm going to stop by my local pharmacy soon and see if they have one available to sniff.

I'm glad you're keeping the bottle intact. I appreciate your perspective that it is a symbol of survival. It would be a shame if something that has survived the perils of nature for who knows how long should so easily become irreparably broken due to simple curiosity. Chloe is common enough. This bottle's value is in its testament of endurance.

PS: I would love to develop a profile of the woman who would wear this perfume; can you guys help with that?
    Last edited by Suzi; 7th July 2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: ps

I have been browsing Chloe comments. What an eye opener! It seems that the perfume is matching my vision. I ordered a tester. I believe I snagged teh right one. By the shape of the bottle and the cap, I believe it was the original 1975 Karl L. version. It seems that about 95 of the commenters are intensely loyal to this particular 1st production which seems to no longer be in production as first released.

Hillaire

I think you should try to return it at TJ MAXX.
    (My grandmother would.)
    Last edited by Hillaire; 8th July 2010 at 12:06 AM.

Now, that is an idea. It would be fun. I would be afraid they might take it. I am attached, now.

What an interesting story
    I would have to say that while the cap is quite corroded from the pictures the bottle itself doesn't appear to carry enough wear for it to have spent any significant time in the ocean. We live in coastal South Carolina and recently my husband dropped his scratch resistant/shatter proof/etc glasses into the surf. When we located them a minute later (okay, maybe two minutes, but not longer than that as he was near the edge of the water) they had moved a few feet in and just that little bit abraded the lenses.
    I realize that glass is tougher but it probably would have taken on a frosted appearance on the high points even after just a short time. Perhaps this was a bottle forgotten on the beach during what she hoped would be an evening of romance?

The bottle was partially buried in the sand muck one encounters at low tide. Perhaps the muck acted as a weather protector?

Heartwood, did you find a sampler? I ordered one online,but it arrived without the bottle cap (it was a tester--we have to learn the hard way, don't we?). The bottle looks more round than the one I found. I don't think it is the same. The scent of the replacement bottle is acceptable; but does not seem to have the character described in comments and reviews at other places.

Quote Originally Posted by zygote View Post
    What an interesting story
    I would have to say that while the cap is quite corroded from the pictures the bottle itself doesn't appear to carry enough wear for it to have spent any significant time in the ocean. We live in coastal South Carolina and recently my husband dropped his scratch resistant/shatter proof/etc glasses into the surf. When we located them a minute later (okay, maybe two minutes, but not longer than that as he was near the edge of the water) they had moved a few feet in and just that little bit abraded the lenses.
    I realize that glass is tougher but it probably would have taken on a frosted appearance on the high points even after just a short time. Perhaps this was a bottle forgotten on the beach during what she hoped would be an evening of romance?
    How would we visualize where it came from? It was found at Long Beach Harbor, Mississippi (just post Katrina, Pre-BP Calamity). But, that does not mean it was lost locally, though it could have been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I think you should try to return it at TJ MAXX.
    (My grandmother would.)
    *cackling with laughter*

Yeah - I had one of those, too.

I know you did not intend to insult me. It is not the fragrance so much as the find that is special. There are many women out there who are intensely loyal to the original Chloe; there are also some men who claim to be addicted. Thank goodness people have different tastes, otherwise it would be a very dull world. ...Manufacturers wouldn't need to make so many versions of everything to try and please. Out of curiosity--would your grandmothers also return a bottle of, "Beautiful" or "First" (Old version Van Cleef)? I am learning from you guys. I am not a perfume specialist, as I am sure you can discern. I am quite allergic/sensitive.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

What a great story Suzi! I have very little impulse control and would open that puppy immediately

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Heartwood, did you find a sampler?
    I'm so sorry, but I've had quite a bit going on and haven't been able to test Chloe. This is likely going to be the case for a while longer, so I won't be able to explore this fragrance anytime soon.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

well i am a little touchy about any such antique thing. i would keep it safe to me and would not use this one at least. Who knows one day, i would meet the owner of the bottle dramatically and i would give it back
    i do not feel it bad to open and use it because its not mine but because it might relate to some special person at the boat which was stuck in a hurricane.

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely keep it! Forget the eBay or present thing. I would also leave it unopened. As it is it makes for a marvelous mystery. Opening it takes away from that. And what a fun story to tell...anyone, not just perfume addicts!