Code of Conduct

Default Letterman, Leno, and Michael Jordan Cologne

Hey Guys:
    I was reading on a website about the different colognes that the celebrities like best.
    I noticed that both Letterman and Leno list Michael Jordan Cologne as their favorite.
    So, my question is how can this be? These guys are on different coastlines and have different styles. So I figure it's one of two things:

1. Michael Jordan is just an overall fantastic cologne.
    2. Michael Jordan was a guest on both shows, and gave both hosts a free case of his cologne.

Any thoughts on this?

Default Re: Letterman, Leno, and Michael Jordan Cologne

MJ is a great fragrance, very versatile, very appealing, and yet very underrated. Frowned upon because it's considered a drugstore type fragrance. MJ was once sold at malls, and may still be, I think it's the epitome of a sport fragrance. It opens up with that peppery and grassy smell accompanied by some citrus, stays pretty linear and lasts and lasts. I can't think of anything that really smells like it, maybe a tad like Nautica Competition. So it is unique, but only in its category "sporty fragrances" it does not stand out in my collection, but when I need something sporty and long lasting, I often go for the MJ. I would recommend checking out this treasure.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 6th July 2010 at 06:46 AM.

I'm pretty sure that MJ is still sold at my local WalMart. There is a rack with mini bottles and I think MJ is one of them. So, certainly you can't go wrong sampling from a 5 buck mini. However, just the fact that you know that every chump and his grandmother shops at WalMart kinda kills the temptation a bit. Also, I don't want people knowing what I wear for the most part. I like some of the more well knowns like Hugo and Cool Water, but I don't know if I can get excited having people say, for example, "Hey Brad, you smell nice, is that Michael Jordan you're wearing today?" It's always more satisfying to say you're wearing something that you basically have to buy online, and even then, don't expect to find it cheap.

I once seen leno reach in his desk and spray some obsession on. who knows.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I've seen those celebrity links and the thought always occurs to me that what they report may have been true at the time of the report. It seems to make the assumption that they all still wear only what they wore at the time they were asked.

Now, I don't know if any of these celebs are as frag crazed as most of us, but it does occur to me that like the average consumer, they may shift from scent to scent.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I've seen those celebrity links and the thought always occurs to me that what they report may have been true at the time of the report. It seems to make the assumption that they all still wear only what they wore at the time they were asked.

Now, I don't know if any of these celebs are as frag crazed as most of us, but it does occur to me that like the average consumer, they may shift from scent to scent.
    This is good logic. There are human like the rest of us and are not bound by that one fragrance. They can afford a temple of fragrances and I'm sure they rotate like the rest of us.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I was reading on a website about the different colognes that the celebrities like best.
    Please, link to this ... I wanna read it too! Thanks!

There's no accounting for taste.

Teddius

Michael Jordan Cologne (in the bottle with rubber base) is an extermely classy smelling EDT with great lasting power.
    I've always gotten positive comments when I worn it. It's something very different from the run of the mill scents. I've often wondered if it wouldn't have done much better had it not been a celebrity scent.

Leno and Letterman obviously know a good scent when they smell it.
    Renato

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Cool list, especially all the royals;

I doubt Prince Harry is in Cool Water to this day?
    The Princess Royal, Anne, is using Calèche - cool!
    Princes Michael of Kent is oozing L'Air du Temps,
    as does the queen of Spain.
    Princess Diana wore Diorissimo - hell yeah ...
    and Queen Elizabeth herself is flashing Chloé Narcisse,
    I knew that before, but I still find it extremely cool!

Joan Collins is using Bal à Versailles, but that fact is not on the list.

I will be bookmarking that page, it's so cool! Thank Brad!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 6th July 2010 at 04:40 PM.

I'm pretty sure that MJ is still sold at my local WalMart. There is a rack with mini bottles and I think MJ is one of them. So, certainly you can't go wrong sampling from a 5 buck mini. However, just the fact that you know that every chump and his grandmother shops at WalMart kinda kills the temptation a bit. Also, I don't want people knowing what I wear for the most part. I like some of the more well knowns like Hugo and Cool Water, but I don't know if I can get excited having people say, for example, "Hey Brad, you smell nice, is that Michael Jordan you're wearing today?" It's always more satisfying to say you're wearing something that you basically have to buy online, and even then, don't expect to find it cheap.
    If "every chump and his grandmother" buying fragrances at Walmart kills the temptation, then you better ease off of the mainstream ones and head over to niche, since just about every fragrance sold in department stores are stocked at Walmart as well. If not in stores, then online. As Renato points out its qualities, I gotta agree with him. Perhaps before dogging it, you should try it yourself for 6 bucks for a half an oz. It may be sold at Walmart, but not limited to Walmart, and it has enough redeeming qualities to make it more than just a cheapy.

My goodness, I never thought I'd see the day when things would get heated over a bottle of Michael Jordan. So I guess the three frags that I've seen get peoples blood boiling are Green Irish Tweed, Aqua Di Gio, and Michael Jordan? And to think you yourself gave it an overall C in the directory. But anyway, I don't think I'd be upset if I got MJ as a gift. I love trying new frags and judging for myself how they hold up. I remember recently I can very close to bidding on a set of Tommy Hilfiger minis for goodness sake.
    But anyway, when you work with a bunch of women that have probably dated or been in serious hurtful relationships with dozens of guys, I don't want to conjure up bad memories here. My wife, for example, once dated a guy that loved Curve. I think Curve is OK.
    Fortunately, I can live without it. I don't think money is really my concern anyway. My concern is mainly, "Where do I put all this cologne? Will I die before I can wear it all? Is it a safe blind buy? etc. So, in conclusion, am I a cologne snob for not wanting to buy frags at Wal-mart? OK, maybe so, but then again, I say that most everyone else on this forum is already there or striving to be.

I've been know to buy at Walmart, and I believe if you look closer at these forums you will find that there is a broad cross-section of the fragrance appreciating public here. The are core groups of members here who will champion what is their interest (i.e. Powerhouse, Designer, Niche, Vintage, ect). It first glance it does appear that there are a lot of people focused on high-end products but I dont think it's an issue of being a "snob" so much as it is being well informed. I dont think I am a cologne snob and I certainly am not aspiring to be. At least not yet.

My goodness, I never thought I'd see the day when things would get heated over a bottle of Michael Jordan. So I guess the three frags that I've seen get peoples blood boiling are Green Irish Tweed, Aqua Di Gio, and Michael Jordan? And to think you yourself gave it an overall C in the directory. But anyway, I don't think I'd be upset if I got MJ as a gift. I love trying new frags and judging for myself how they hold up. I remember recently I can very close to bidding on a set of Tommy Hilfiger minis for goodness sake.
    But anyway, when you work with a bunch of women that have probably dated or been in serious hurtful relationships with dozens of guys, I don't want to conjure up bad memories here. My wife, for example, once dated a guy that loved Curve. I think Curve is OK.
    Fortunately, I can live without it. I don't think money is really my concern anyway. My concern is mainly, "Where do I put all this cologne? Will I die before I can wear it all? Is it a safe blind buy? etc. So, in conclusion, am I a cologne snob for not wanting to buy frags at Wal-mart? OK, maybe so, but then again, I say that most everyone else on this forum is already there or striving to be.
    Why are you so upset? I am not.

I didn't mean to upset you, I said very casually to give it a try before dogging it based on the way its marketed, and its representation.

I would say once you buy ONLY niche fragrances (bottles not just decants) and buy them religiously; then you're a fragrance snob.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 7th July 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Why are you so upset? I am not.

I didn't mean to upset you, I said very casually to give it a try before dogging it based on the way its marketed, and its representation.

I would say once you buy ONLY niche fragrances (bottles not just decants) and buy them religiously; then you're a fragrance snob.
    No man, I'm not upset either. I guess the trouble with written post forums is that you get absolutely no nonverbal clues to work with. I believe studies show that most communication is nonverbal, so these forums can easily lead to misunderstandings between fellow basenoters. I consider myself to be an easygoing guy and try to use this forum to better my own understanding of fragrance and also hopefully, help a newcomer out , and maybe even save the poor guy hundreds of dollars on wasted blind buys (guilty, guilty)

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    The are core groups of members here who will champion what is their interest (i.e. Powerhouse, Designer, Niche, Vintage, ect).
    Then there are people like me - scavangers.
    If cheap I'll usually buy it. And I've bought heaps of cheap niche, designer, powerhouse and vintage scents.
    Though I wish we had a Walmart down here.
    I picked up Habit Rouge EDT yesterday relatively cheaply.
    Renato