Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance for a Summer Boat Wedding

This is my first thread on basenotes, and I hope I get some good feedback.

I'm getting ready for my wedding which is in August and the event is going to be from 6pm to 10pm on a fairly small boat/yacht in Newport Beach, California. The yacht's 125ftx25ft with a max capacity of 150 passengers, and it's air conditioned inside. I think the weather will be on the warmer side, but the marine layer should keep it relatively cool and breezy (I hope). The ceremony will be inside the yacht and there'll be some photo shooting on the deck too.

I'm trying to find a fragrance that I can use for this, and I'm thinking of Montale - Black Aoud. My concern is that this may be too heavy for the warm, breezy, yacht condition? What do you all experienced basenoters feel about this? I generally wear fragrances like Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari Pour Homme, Chanel Platinum Egoiste.

I'm 26, and she's 25. I'll be in a tux but there is no "mandated" dress-code for the event. She tells me as long as I smell good, she's ok, but any suggestions/comments are welcome!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Fragrance for a Summer Boat Wedding

Congratulations!

If you like Black Aoud and want to wear it, then do so! You may just want to go light on the application. Or is there a particular fragrance of yours that she likes? You might consider that.

If you are looking for some other recommendations, I would suggest Chanel pour Monsieur or Tiffany for Men - IMO they are always appropriate. I personally would not recommend anything considered fresh/aquatic/sporty just because you are going to be on a boat - I don't consider them formal enough.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 6th July 2010 at 07:35 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tricky thread. Yachts, tuxs, ocean breezes. For something that may smell nice out there, I'd suggest Nautica Oceans.

Amouage Ciel man would be perfect!

I'm also concerned like petruccijc said that a aquatic/marine scent would just be too much overlap with the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Amouage Ciel man would be perfect!
    I've never tried Amouage. How is the longetivity on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoba View Post
    I'm also concerned like petruccijc said that a aquatic/marine scent would just be too much overlap with the environment.

I've never tried Amouage. How is the longetivity on that one?
    The sillage and longevity on Ciel is excellent. (at least on my skin). 2 sprays on the neck, and one to the chest lasts all day long.
    -You get what you pay for!

virgin island water by creed

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    virgin island water by creed
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been having trouble with Creed scents working on me... I've tried BdP, Erolfa, GIT, Royal Scottish Lavender, and OV and they're all a miss for me so far.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've been having trouble with Creed scents working on me... I've tried BdP, Erolfa, GIT, Royal Scottish Lavender, and OV and they're all a miss for me so far.
    that one would be ideal millesime imperial is good too

As much as I love Montale's B.O. (ok you can snicker, but you know what I meant), I'm picturing you getting a little hot and sweaty, plus the weather, lots of close-quarter hugging/kissing, etc... I'm already starting to get that chocked up cloying feeling...

I've got a feeling it may just be too much. Even as a scent lover (you), I think just put on a light application of something you like and focus on the important stuff that day. Maybe either a light powder/floral or cool vetiver.

just my 0.02c
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    As much as I love Montale's B.O. (ok you can snicker, but you know what I meant), I'm picturing you getting a little hot and sweaty, plus the weather, lots of close-quarter hugging/kissing, etc... I'm already starting to get that chocked up cloying feeling...

I've got a feeling it may just be too much. Even as a scent lover (you), I think just put on a light application of something you like and focus on the important stuff that day. Maybe either a light powder/floral or cool vetiver.

just my 0.02c
    Hey Master-Classter, I've seen you over on Style Forum

I'm definitely worried about what you're saying about the chocking feeling from the Black Aoud, which is my principal concern. Hence I added all the description about the environment I'll be in. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I anticipate that everything is going to go pretty smoothly, but I'm sure I'll have the nervous sweat everywhere.

I say get your hands on samples of Hamman Bouquet and Opus 1870. Go light but use a dab of both. You will be good indoors or on deck. Further, you will be "yachty" but still unique.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Go with the Black Aoud.

I mean if you love it and are really attached to fragrances as memories then I still think it's a great frag. It's high on my own to-buy list, but I'd suggest a light application. Maybe instead of on the chest, just on the wrists so it's away from your face.
    (Yep, that's me on SF, B&B, etc)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Antidote by Viktor and Rolf
    Equipage by Hermes
    Acqua di Parma Colonia

Firstly, congratulations! I would have suggested my Mr Versatile, GIT or alternatively Erolfa. As you do not get on with these I would have a couple of different suggestions: A nice fresh Vetiver would be good - I have only had Guerlain and Encre Noir and would recommend the Guerlain in this case as there is more to it (citrus, tobacco) and it has a lovely freshness; the second would be PG's L'eau Guerriere, a beautiful fresh, light woods fragrance with some resins (sounds like it should be heavy but is very light and has a beautiful opening.

Good luck on the day with whatever you choose. I'm sure your wife-to-be will be happy with whatever you wear.

dnc

PS, if you choose any of these I will expect an invite in the post ;o)

Edit to add Chanel's Pour Monsieur (not the concentree) as a late entry.
    Last edited by dnc; 7th July 2010 at 10:32 AM.

I will echo a couple of those suggested so far:

Creed Virgin Island Water (most tropical)
    Creed Milliseme Imperial (extremely pleasant and light)
    Chanel Pour Monseiur (most formal)

plus one more

Kenzo pour homme (most 'oceanic')

To be honest, not knowing the "crowd" I couldn't really get the feel of what I would wear as "most appropriate". That being said, I might actually go with one you already have: Chanel Platinum Egoiste - to me it's a very versitile scent: classy, elegant, and can be formal without being too stuffy.

Totally excellent suggestions! Thanks everyone!

I know Creeds are very popular here and I'm a bit disappointed that I don't find them to work. They don't last long on me, and something they use just doesn't go well with my nose; It kind of leaves what I would call "an odor" instead of "a scent".

I do have a couple Vetivers: Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extraordinaire, and Fragonard - Vetyver. Oh I also have a sample of Montale Red Vetyver but that's a different story. Speaking of grassy, herby scents, I typically use Fragonard - L'eau du Bonheur and it's very nice with a floral/minty to cedar/sandalwood scent. But it's very light and I'm not sure if it'll suit for a wedding, let alone my own wedding.

It looks like Chanel pour Monsieur is very popular, but have never tried them. I've tried the Kenzo and they're not bad either.

I know the Chanel Platinum Egoiste is very versatile for my age, but I still like the Black Aoud. Lotta choices now!

I love Black Aoud but I think it would be a huge mistake in such close quarters. C&S #88 would be more apppropriate for a classy wedding on a yacht.

PM if you want a sample of the Chanel Pour Monseiur.....I'm expecting a bottle in the mail any day....I'll make you up a sample vial if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I love Black Aoud but I think it would be a huge mistake in such close quarters. C&S #88 would be more apppropriate for a classy wedding on a yacht.
    C&S No. 88 is also an excellent choice. I also have a decant of Le Labo Rose 31, and I enjoy C&S No. 88 way better. But then I ask, when is an appropriate place to use Black Aoud?

Quote Originally Posted by Force of One View Post
    PM if you want a sample of the Chanel Pour Monseiur.....I'm expecting a bottle in the mail any day....I'll make you up a sample vial if you like.
    Thanks, but don't worry about it. I'll be out to the malls of LA soon so I have plenty of chances to try that one out. Thanks tho!

Duplicate - deleted
    Last edited by mikekoba; 8th July 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Sur la Plage

Thanks, but don't worry about it. I'll be out to the malls of LA soon so I have plenty of chances to try that one out. Thanks tho!
    Just an FYI - Chanel pour Monsieur is not easy to find in the US. You might run across Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree - but that is a totally different fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Just an FYI - Chanel pour Monsieur is not easy to find in the US. You might run across Chanel pour Monsieur Concentree - but that is a totally different fragrance.
    I could be wrong, but I thought the pour Monsieur carried at Sephora was the regualr version....does it actually say Concentree on it somewhere on those bottles or is it more subtle?
    http://www.sephora.com/brands/chanel...hora/chanel-um
    Last edited by Force of One; 8th July 2010 at 02:05 AM.

I believe that the square bottle is the original Pour Monsieur EDT. I have put on another thread about the liquid, this one comes in green and yellow color. So don't worry about that. I really like this one. I believe this is the one everybody is suggesting above. The first photo.

The rectangular bottle of Pour Monsieur is the Concentree version. I haven't smelled this but a lot of basenoters said the original PM smells better.

Last edited by volley2; 8th July 2010 at 02:29 AM.

Sur la Plage

I could be wrong, but I thought the pour Monsieur carried at Sephora was the regualr version....does it actually say Concentree on it somewhere on those bottles or is it more subtle?
    http://www.sephora.com/brands/chanel...hora/chanel-um
    If you click on the word "fragrance", you will see that it is the Concentree version.

Wow okay... I think I've seen the rectangular bottle at Sephora, so maybe that's why I'm not so intrigued about it. Force of One, do you know if you're getting the PM or the PMC?

I know fragrance is subjective. But I just want to add, Luca Turin gave PM 5 stars and also one of his top ten best masculines, I believe this is the original version.

Wear your favorite fragrance.
    I repeat, WEAR YOUR FAVORITE FRAGRANCE!

Dior Homme edt, Dior Homme Intense, or Dune, perhaps. Just stay on the boat and out of the dunes.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    If you click on the word "fragrance", you will see that it is the Concentree version.
    I stand corrected!

@Mikekoba - I actually received the original and apparantly the half sample I have left from Sephora is the concentree. To be honest, I really liked both, but I have to do a side-by-side (wrist-by-wrist :P) comparison to say which I truly prefer.....

Let me know if you still want me to make a sample of the original (the one I just received). Idea: While you are waiting, maybe you could hit Sephora and grab a sample of the concentree and do a similar comparison. Like I said, I wasn't even aware of the difference between the two, so you might be just as happy with the more readily available.

By the way, does anybody have any recommedations where to pick up the sample sized vials/atomizers?
    Last edited by Force of One; 9th July 2010 at 04:05 PM.

Creed: Virgin Island Water or perhaps Erolfa.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sur la Plage

By the way, does anybody have any recommedations where to pick up the sample sized vials/atomizers?
    I would suggest www.accessoriesforfragrances.com.

I stand corrected!

@Mikekoba - I actually received the original and apparantly the half sample I have left from Sephora is the concentree. To be honest, I really liked both, but I have to do a side-by-side (wrist-by-wrist :P) comparison to say which I truly prefer.....

Let me know if you still want me to make a sample of the original (the one I just received). Idea: While you are waiting, maybe you could hit Sephora and grab a sample of the concentree and do a similar comparison. Like I said, I wasn't even aware of the difference between the two, so you might be just as happy with the more readily available.

Hey, Force of One, your Private Message box is full...

Hey, Force of One, your Private Message box is full...
    Mike, emptied it out and replied to your PM.....basically just said I need your address, and by the 16th if you want me to get it out before my vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Wear your favorite fragrance.
    I repeat, WEAR YOUR FAVORITE FRAGRANCE!
    This. Or one that reminds you of your wife to be, or one that perhaps was part of many special occasions for you two. Make it about something special to you, and not something possibly new and foreign to you.