Code of Conduct

Default What to include in a 5-cologne wardrobe?

I've tried a bunch of scents to date - currently the ones that seem to work best for me are:

(1) Fahrenheit (nostalgia)

(2) Chanel Platinum Egoiste (didn't care for it on the tester, but it wears amazingly and the wife *loves* it)

(3) my own DIY blend of very high quality sandalwood oil w/ green tea extract in Vodka. I also have an order of santal noble on its way (which may end up replacing my home brew concoction).

Any suggestions on how to round this out with a couple more scents?
    Last edited by saichele; 6th July 2010 at 08:40 PM.

Default Re: What to include in a 5-cologne wardrobe?

I think you need a Vetiver and a classic eau de cologne. My vote for a vetiver is Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire and for an edc, I'd add Acqua di Parma Colonia. Add those and you've got yourself a nice little wardrobe!

i agree on a vetiver, and perhaps a gourmand like a men, or something to that extent

+2 to Vetiver recommendation, there are lots to choose from (too many to name but I'd suggest Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, Guerlain's, and Encre Noire - all different takes on the same subject)

+1 to something a little sweeter like a gourmand - how about Guerlain's Heritage (lemon, vanilla, pepper - total class)? There's just too many here to start listing them off.

I might also add something in the leather or musk department - I'd suggest Knize 10 and/or Keihl's Original Musk
    as well as a powder/floral if you're ok with that - might I suggest trying Rive Gauch PH.
    You may consider something "fruity", but before you jump to conclusions, I mean something like Daim Blond (Apricot and leather) or Philosykos (figs), etc.

for specific recommendations, could you provide your age, location (country or city) and general lifestyle (office, outdoor, etc)?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Lp9- sophisticated, warm, sexy
    Hamman Bouquet- lightly smokey floral, playfully complex and summery
    Opus 1870- Masculine, pointed, suggests success and power
    Tokyo- Fresh, crisp, understated, clean, hip
    Endymion- A little touch of all the above experiences
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    I think you need a Vetiver and a classic eau de cologne.
    Agree. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, an affordable option. And Eau de Guerlain, for those hot sticky months.

Try these ones:

Vetiver by Guerlain
    Habit Rouge by Guerlain
    Pour Monsieur by Chanel
    Equipage by Hermes
    Opium PH by YSL

Add to Farhenheit and Platinum Egoiste:

- A vetiver fragrances such as Encre Noir, Mugler Cologne or even Voyage d' Hermes.
    - A wood / incense fragrance such as: Avignon, Gucci Pour Homme, Declaration Essence, or Epic Man.
    - A masculine rose scent like: Le Labo Rose 31, Black Tie, or Paestum Rose.

So tough to pick only 2 more. But if it was me, well, maybe a nice citrus leather like Canali for Men. Also, maybe a light soapy frag from the Gendarme line-up.

Two obvious holes are a sweet gourmand and a smoother, less "zesty" scent. I vote Dior Homme and Givenchy Vetyver.

I would add something sweet like L'Instant de Guerlain, A*Men or Dior Homme.

1. Burberry London
    2. Acqua di Parma
    3. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    4. Azzaro pH
    5. Dior Homme

+ Vetiver.

There are thousands of options, from inexpensive ones (take Zara's) to very expensive ones (niche ones), masculines (Terre D'Hermes) and femenine (R&G), short lived (L'Occitane's) and ever-lasting (Encre Noir), etc.
    Last edited by Pollux; 12th July 2010 at 12:12 PM.

Creed Original Vetiver
    CHANEL Egoiste
    Hermes Equipage

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Welcome to Basenotes!

Since you already have Egoiste Platinum taking care of the fresh citrus dept., you don't really need an EDC (though I'd ditch it in favor of Acqua di Parma Colonia.)

Vetiver Extraordinaire is indeed an excellent option. Or a vetiver oriental like Chanel Sycomore if you prefer it smokier. I'd also recommend a soft leather frag such as SL Daim Blond or Knize Ten.

Terre D'Hermes because you like woody fragrances, and it's very versatile.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Before guessing what would work for you, what do you know doesn't work for you?

I too am a Fahrenheit lover, it's actually my number 1 favorite, and seems irreplaceable. With that in mind, you may enjoy TdH as another recommended, Zirh Corduroy, or Tam Dao (if you don't mind springing for it) Tam Dao is a pretty impressive sandalwood in my eyes; but if it's too expensive for ya, and you enjoy sandalwood, you could check out Kanon Norwegian Wood. It's a sweet sandalwood, it can be cloying though if you over-apply in the opening, but it's quite like Tam Dao, I think and I picked up a 3.4 oz bottle @ Ross for like 7 bucks.

Thank you all for your excellent(!) feedback and suggestions.

OK, after much more sampling and testing, here are the final 5:

(1) Acqua di Parma - Colonia
    (2) Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    (3) Frank Los Angeles - No. 2
    (4) Tauer - Incense Rose
    (5) Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Santal Noble

You all have ruined me.

Hillaire

Since you like boozy stuff (the vodka thing) and you also like classical scents, it appears, I would recommend Lubin's Idole? This is really a great scent, and one that seems to 'work' for everyone I know, all kinds of tastes considered.

And my choice for vetiver scent for a gray flannel lover would be Givenchy's Vetyver.

Actually, I'm not really a fan of the 'boozy' thing - I recently cleared the house of all hard alcohol save for a bottle of single malt scotch for the father-in-law on special occasions. Long story. Anyway, I'd ultimately only like to have 2 or 3 bottles of cologne on the shelf at any given time, max. And my wife really seems to feel that 2 or 3 colognes max is the right # (for whatever reason).

So I've made more changes and currently am at 3:

Frank No. 2
    Gaiac
    Black Afgano

These all strike me as 'special occasion scents' - except for maybe Gaiac in cooler seasons. Gaiac is also the only one I'm super attached to, though Black Afgano is really seducing me. Frank No. 2 - wife loves it in small amounts, but she finds the opening overpowering. I find I only really love it when the plum begins to die down and the woods open up into it.

So I may be willing to trade out the F#2 or BA for something more wearable on warm days. And I am also open to more wallet-friendly alternatives - though to be honest, I've also learned that there is truth to 'you get what you pay for' in the cologne world.

If its not too late then you need an Amouage (Gold, Lyric, Epic or Jubilation), a Frederic Malle(Vetiver Extraordinare, Musc Ravageur or Bois d'Orage), a Montale(Black Aoud and/or Red Aoud) and a Serge Lutens (MKK or Furmerie Turque) !
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

5 frags you absolutely love.

L'eau D'Issey - Probably one of the best fresh scents I've smelled!
    Burberry London - Great for winter and fall! Smells like Christmas, haha!

Dolce and Gabbana The One would def be in my top 5 fo sho! Should give that one a whirl. Also Terre D'Hermes, Rose 31, John Varvatos vintage or the original, burberry london