Code of Conduct

Default Most masculine (yet wearable) fragrance?

So I was just wondering what everyone considered the most unabashedly masculine fragrance they've ever tried that is still by far wearable in public. I'm gonna have to go with Xerjoff Homme after trying it, this stuff is face-meltingly masculine, yet I LOVE wearing it; it gives me a total "Alpha Male" feel of air when I have it on.
    Last edited by philmcphe; 6th July 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Default Re: Most masculine (yet wearable) fragrance?

Too many to list, but

Creed Vintage Tabarome
    VC&A Pour Homme
    Santos de Cartier Concentre
    Versace L'Homme
    Eucris
    Kouros*

*Some might argue this isn't "wearable"
    Last edited by StylinLA; 6th July 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Amouage Epic.

IMHO, any heavily tobacco based frag is ubermasculine. The heavier the tobacco, the more masculine. Now making sure it's still wearable is the tough part. Mix that with some woody elements, a little musk, and a touch of crisp citrus and you get a very masculine and wearable Ralph Lauren Purple Label
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Too many to list, but

Creed Vintage Tabarome
    VC&A Pour Homme
    Versace L'Homme
    Eucris
    Kouros*

+1 for vt, throw some royal english leather, bois du portugal and tabarome millesime on that bitch lol

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Too many to list, but

Creed Vintage Tabarome
    VC&A Pour Homme
    Versace L'Homme
    Eucris
    Kouros*

I have yet to try Eucris, VC&A Pour Homme or Vintage Tabarome, I really, really want to try VT but the only place I can find a sample is TPC, and they're prices are so exorbitant on some stuff, so I hate using them.

Dhofar Xerjoff
    Im the be$t @ thi$

How's about:

Caron - Yatagan
    Montana - Parfum D'Homme
    Jacques Bogart - Witness

and... One Man Show

Havana

Sur la Plage

There is no fragrance that I own and like that I would not wear in public - including Kouros, Yatagan, etc....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm going to venture one of the chest-beating uber-masculines like Yatagan, or Kouros.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Havana by Aramis
    JHL by Aramis
    Rive Gauche
    Chanel Antaeus
    Neil Morris Fragances
    L Artisan Leau du Navigateur ( Leather and coffee )
    Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade ( my favorite ) Davana , patchouli , coriander ...
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Bel Ami. I absolutely adore this frag.

Azzaro pour Homme
    Old Spice
    Fahrenheit
    Polo

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    I have yet to try Eucris, VC&A Pour Homme or Vintage Tabarome, I really, really want to try VT but the only place I can find a sample is TPC, and they're prices are so exorbitant on some stuff, so I hate using them.
    It's so unavailable, skip the VT. But the others might be worth a sample. I think Eucris is underrated myself, but be clear it is a serious and mature kind of scent. Released in 1912 originally.

Santos and L'Homme are kind of similar to me. Just fun, strong-ish patchouli/sandalwood manly scents. VC&A an alpha male wonder. They will know you're coming and know when you've been there.

Kouros is well...Kouros.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 7th July 2010 at 03:26 AM.

. . . another personal validation thread
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 1st March 2012 at 06:50 AM.

I don't disagree with any of the previous posts, but I want to add one obvious one that has not been mentioned - Ginenchy Gentleman. The most masculine yet wearable fragrance available.

I'm not trying to be snide here, but I don't understand why a masculine smelling fragrance would ever be unwearable in public.

Does "wearable" mean mainstream?

wearable i would assume is to say something you can wear everyday

Dependent

Aramis Havana seems to fit this description.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I'm not trying to be snide here, but I don't understand why a masculine smelling fragrance would ever be unwearable in public.

Does "wearable" mean mainstream?
    I mean something that won't make noses curl if you go out in public basically. For example, I know someone in this thread mentioned they think One Man Show falls under this category, but I would have to strongly disagree. While this *is* incredibly masculine, I don't find it pleasant by any means. The one time I actually wore this I got some very negative comments and made fun of by quite a few co-workers and friends for how much I stunk.

Anything.

If it's strong/loud (Kouros, etc) then apply it with finesse. Spray snd walk through.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th July 2010 at 01:30 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Antaeus
    Fahrenheit
    M7

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Proper application allows you to wear almost anything. Big blasts of strong fragrance into a small area often leads to unpleasant olfactory experiences, once the body temp heats up, etc.

Perfumers, designers, fragrance experts in general, understand that the best method of application for strong scents is to spray it up into the air two or three feet away from you and then walk through it neck/chest high as it begins to break up, widen and fall. It's obviously different with parfums, oils, etc.

I don't get the initial question. When I'm going out, I wear whatever I want and I apply it properly. Many of the scents mentioned above are worn by women (there are much harder core fragrance people out there than most of the women on Basenotes). Yatagan isn't nearly as hyper-masculine as it's made out to be. It's a paragon of blending that speaks of mature gentlemanliness. In France, a good percentage of Yatagan is purchased by women who wear it themselves. I know a very beautiful and feminine woman who used to wear Kouros and still wears things like Lauder for Men and Jules. Yeah, they're masculine, but they also smell great on women. They often smell even better on women, because, among other things, men over-apply the stuff and smell ridiculous.

I don't get it, man. Wear it, and put it on right. And if people think you stink, a lot of it probably has to do with the overall vibe you're putting out more than anything else. You'll get it right. It takes awhile.
    Well I generally have a "no more than three sprays at most" rule I go by, so you can trust me when I say I'm not the guy you smell three blocks away. Anyways, there ARE fragrances that, in general, most people would not find appealing, even if only applied lightly. Also I never said that masculine means women wouldn't wear it, whatever we perceive as masculine in fragrance just comes from associations put forth by society that many people just hold to be true because of this. My brother just asked me tonight if I was wearing a womens perfume, and he was right even though he neither had any idea what I was wearing, nor knows anything about fragrances beyond what the average person does. The same can be said of gender in general, some societies have up to five different genders that are well recognized. Women aren't born with dresses on; people not only are the ones who make, but also say the dresses are for women.

I think you are forgetting that while many people on here and other ones into this hobby consider themselves "gender blind" to fragrances, basnotes is a gathering of people that are the exception, rather than the rule. While masculinity *is* a thing of personal perception, you can't deny that the general acceptance as to what is masculine has already been set forth by the general populace.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

+
    Trussardi Uomo
    Salvador Dali pour Homme
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Cool Re: Most masculine (yet wearable) fragrance?

I understand what pluran is saying. Many women love to wear Givenchy Gentleman or Azzaro PH or other classic masculine powerhouses and it smells great on them.
    Point taken.

Having said that, back to the question from the OP.
    Most of the ones I'd cite have already been mentioned.

But gentlemen you forgot:

Macassar by Rochas--I recommend you read Naed Nitram's review Spot on.
    Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon---if you've tried Yatagan but not this one, you're missing out imho
    Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris---I find it amusing this one's labeled unisex.
    Eau d' Hermes--As above. Vintage formula and good luck finding vintage Bel Ami while you're at it.
    Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene--barely wearable but wearable.

(This touches upon Brut and Drakkar Noir & co. which are the butt of jokes, and rightly so--sinus rockets like Jacomo de Jacomo Insane knockout power like Carlo Corinto by Carlo Corinto and the unwearable Quorum which, I reviewed as "crotch in a bottle." More power to those of you who revere it but for me it's as much of a caricature of masculinity as Bandit is a caricature of--what? A dominatrix? )

Backing off from the dark (or silly ) side to continue:

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso
    Tuscany/Etruscan by Aramis
    Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez--And the very best of luck finding a bottle.
    Kolnisch Juchten by Parfums Regence--Ancient and subtle leather.

And if you care for understated machismo try the original 1934 Dunhill for Men, and Zino by Davidoff.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

So I was just wondering what everyone considered the most unabashedly masculine fragrance they've ever tried that is still by far wearable in public.
    I don't think there's anything too "unabashedly masculine" for me to find wearable in public, including Quorum, One Man Show, Bogart, Yatagan, or Xeryus.

What of MPGs Parfum d'Habit? For my definition of "wearable," I mean "wear it in public anywhere."

Parfum d'Habit is a strong scent but absent of any "traditional" feminine notes that are overly sweet or floral. (I add that I believe that no notes should be off limits due to gender and one should wear what he/she likes.)

See our archive reviews of this scent and "masculine" pops up quite a bit:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121256.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th July 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

AromiErotici

Too many of them to list. They are ALL WEARABLE and in all seasons....depending upon how you apply them.

Bandit
    Cabochard
    Miss Balmain

Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th July 2010 at 04:27 PM.

DeepSilence

One Man Show by Bogart
    Kouros
    Aramis Devin
    I think Woody Chypres are most masculine unwearable now a day. Such as Aramis , Aramis 900, Polo,... Even my father and my grandfather don't like to wear them.

Aramis!!

It's hard to differentiate between "best-smelling masculine fragrance" and "most masculine wearable fragrance".. I had to rethink some of what I was going to suggest to weed out the former, FWIW

My recommendation of most masculine wearable frangrances are:
    - Azzaro Pour Homme
    - Givenchy Gentleman
    - Chanel Antaeus, which I also think as the best-smelling

I also was going to suggest VCA ph, but the powdery note made me doubt it. Tsar also made the list, but it was floral. Kouros, I'm not sure on the wearability (though I never had any complaints wearing it -in Indonesian daytime nonetheless-). Paco Rabanne got scratched because it is too similar to Azzaro ph (which is more masculine). Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    What of MPGs Parfum d'Habit? For my definition of "wearable," I mean "wear it in public anywhere."

Parfum d'Habit is a strong scent but absent of any "traditional" feminine notes that are overly sweet or floral. (I add that I believe that no notes should be off limits due to gender and one should wear what he/she likes.)
    Parfum d'Habit may be the most masculine smelling fragrance I have ever smelled. I love the stuff. However, it's far from mainstream, and I'm sure lots of people would consider it "unwearable". It is a bruiser of a fragrance.

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    Aramis!!

Ok. So It's wearable!
    Now, you introduce an unwearable fragrance please?

Kouros.

1. Cartier Santos
    2. Guerlain Vetiver
    3. Hermes Rocabar
    4. Creed Bois Du Portugal
    5. Guerlain Heritage
    6. Hermes Bel Ami
    7. Creed Vintage Tabarome

All very distinctly masculine, particularly in the traditional western sense of masculine as most think of it. All are still very classy and elegant, rendering them wearable in almost any scenario, without being so overtly "sex panther" masculine as to be offensive.

Gengis Khan

Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Well I generally have a "no more than three sprays at most" rule I go by, so you can trust me when I say I'm not the guy you smell three blocks away.
    I'm a big fan of some of the stronger ones, namely Aramis, Tuscany, and Kouros. IMO, three full sprays of any of those would be offensive. Kouros, especially...I find one "walk through" of that stuff to be sufficient. Lots of bang for the buck with that one. As for your topic, I think Aramis is hard to beat, but I'm not as well versed as most here.

I see someone mentioned Ginenchy Gentleman. I love the scent, but there's something about it that I deemed unwearable for myself. Reminded me of the bowl of an old, well-used tobacco pipe. Nice, but just too sweet and dark for me.

Of the ones I have...

Fahrenheit
    Équipage

Azzaro
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like Polo Modern Reserve

I say try Clive Christians C for men. Very masculine leather, it's just sublime, very addictive though.

Jermel^^^ likes it too!
    Last edited by Ivan D' Great; 23rd September 2011 at 01:48 AM.

Yatagan... most masculine scent ever and can be very wearable depending on the size of you "cojones"
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Trussardi L'uomo (different from Uomo)
    Worth Haute Concentree
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Italian Cypress
    Rive Gauche pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Trussardi L'uomo (different from Uomo)
    Worth Haute Concentree
    Sorry Gents,

I posted this in the wrong thread! My apologies- these I'm sure would not ,by some, be deemed wearable.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    M7

Nasomatto Duro.....
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I wouldn't consider PDN New York an "unabashedly" masculine fragrance

Ralph Lauren - Polo (Classic)

Azzaro Pour Homme has to be it.

I do wear Yatagan and Kouros in public, though!

Aramis Havana
    Aramis
    MKK
    Herrera for Men

Not masculine scents tout court, I think "manly signature" appeal only:
    Fougere Royal by Houbigant
    Tabacco by Odori
    L'Heure Mysterieuse By Cartier
    Yatagan by Caron
    Fumidus by Profvmvm and other strong vetyver scents
    Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie
    Lonestar Memories by Tauer
    Mazzolari by Mazzolari
    Aramis
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Women them wearing results very fascinating..

Public wearings? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by leuconoe View Post
    Not masculine scents tout court, I think "manly signature" appeal only:
    Fougere Royal by Houbigant
    Tabacco by Odori
    L'Heure Mysterieuse By Cartier
    Yatagan by Caron
    Fumidus by Profvmvm and other strong vetyver scents
    Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie
    Lonestar Memories by Tauer
    Mazzolari by Mazzolari
    Aramis
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Women them wearing results very fascinating..

Public wearings? Why not?
    But Aramis is very similar to several other leather feminines that predate it, and is nearly identical to the younger Azuree marketed to women by the same parent company.

Sound Scents

The four that immediately come to mind in no particular order:

Original Polo
    Havana by Aramis
    Azzaro pour Homme
    Fahrenheit by Dior

All of these I would gladly wear out in public without any hesitation and do. They are all classics.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    But Aramis is very similar to several other leather feminines that predate it, and is nearly identical to the younger Azuree marketed to women by the same parent company.
    Concerning this? http://www.namebrandsperfume.com/ima...a100csm_MD.jpg

The Three Musketeers: Atos and Portos and Aramis! To my nose it smells manly scent...
    Last edited by leuconoe; 1st March 2012 at 12:08 PM.