Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default L'Eau Mixte Eau de Cologne by Parfums de Nicolai

This one sounds delicious. Anyone try it yet?

Notes: Blackcurrant buds, peppermint, lemon, cinnamon, Damask rose, jasmine, vetiver, oakmoss and a cocktail of musks.

Default Re: L'Eau Mixte Eau de Cologne by Parfums de Nicolai

I have a very generous decant from Roberto, and have actually often had it on one arm in the last few days. Subtle and beautiful stuff. More complex and closer to a chypre than Balle de Match, Nicolai's other grapefruit concoction. Very nice grapefruit/vetiver/blackcurrent bud (or leaf?) accord, subtly green, with just enough musk to help out with the low end. There's something here that resembles the rose note in Patchouli Homme, in this case combined with a bit of jasmine and played against an interestly astringent moss-like chypre structure. I'd sort of like her to amp up the green chypre aspect of this just a bit, but it's there.
    As you know well, Mike, de Nicolai tends toward the traditional-with-a-twist rather than the stunningly new. As with many PdN frags, I'd imagine there are some who will find little to interest them here. For people like me who are always glad to see another addition to the small group of really beautifully composed fragrances that one might feel comfortable wearing nearly any time, this is another nice minor coup by Patricia de Nicolai. Long may she ride.
    I hope that Roberto will chime in.
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 6th July 2010 at 10:56 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Ahh..so it's the grapefruit that really stands out on this one, eh Stroll? That note can always go one way or another, for me. I love it in many of JC Ellena scents and then in AA Pampelune and Citrus Paradasi it just repels me. But I like that you're sensing more of an astringent chypre feel from this - goodie, goodie!!

Count me in for trying this asap.

Thanks for your comments, Strollyourlobster!

Mike, carmencanada seems to be saying much the same thing on her Grain de Musc blog review and let's hope she chimes in here - looks like another really nice one from Ms. Nicolai . . .

Thumbs up Re: L'Eau Mixte Eau de Cologne by Parfums de Nicolai

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I have a very generous decant from Roberto, and have actually often had it on one arm in the last few days. Subtle and beautiful stuff. More complex and closer to a chypre than Balle de Match, Nicolai's other grapefruit concoction. Very nice grapefruit/vetiver/blackcurrent bud (or leaf?) accord, subtly green, with just enough musk to help out with the low end. There's something here that resembles the rose note in Patchouli Homme, in this case combined with a bit of jasmine and played against an interestly astringent moss-like chypre structure. I'd sort of like her to amp up the green chypre aspect of this just a bit, but it's there.
    As you know well, Mike, de Nicolai tends toward the traditional-with-a-twist rather than the stunningly new. As with many PdN frags, I'd imagine there are some who will find little to interest them here. For people like me who are always glad to see another addition to the small group of really beautifully composed fragrances that one might feel comfortable wearing nearly any time, this is another nice minor coup by Patricia de Nicolai. Long may she ride.
    I hope that Roberto will chime in.
    Great review Strolly.It is an EdT but the drydown strenght is like an EdP. A very pleasant scent for summer
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

smelled it once.
    nice. reminiscent to Guerlain's Pampelune. didn't like the mint note. quite cliché.
    better grapefruit is Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose. As for the mint - nothing compares to Geranium pour monsieur
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    smelled it once.
    nice. reminiscent to Guerlain's Pampelune. didn't like the mint note. quite cliché.
    better grapefruit is Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose. As for the mint - nothing compares to Geranium pour monsieur
    Was the grapefruit note urinous to you DreamerII?

I don't know--all I could get from it was a rather thin, sour note that seems to be fairly typical in summer scents.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I own a 30ml bottle. Blind buy. What a waste of money. There's not much grapefruit at all IMO. If you enjoy Balle Match as I do, just buy another bottle of Balle Match. L'eau Mixte is just so mediocre in all ways, I can't recommend it.
    Last edited by thebeck; 7th July 2010 at 10:24 PM.

I don't find it mediocre, actually it grows on me. Even in this cold autumn I find much pleasure, and considerable depth in it. I do recommend it.

Bought it a while back and no regrets. I recommend it also.

Yeah, I also have to disagree with The Beck - no mediocrity here at all. I highly recommend this release as well. Got a sample of this with Vie d'Chateau Instense (recently reformulated with more 'umph' and also very highly recommended). I did not have many citrus scents and the ones I had seemed fairly linear (Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte, Acqua di Parma Assoluta - smoother and more sophisticated but still nothing that swooned me.) In L'Eau miXte, I find a really nice depth and a changing kaleidoscope of both fruit and herbal elements, besides the fact that it's not the usual citric suspects. Very comfortable, lasts, and has a cooling quality to the nose. It's what is is, but sometimes that all you need when a clean fresh scent hits the spot for a lazy afternoon in the sun.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man