Code of Conduct

Default American Crew Fiber hair product

Anyone tried or use this stuff?

Default Re: American Crew Fiber hair product

I used it for quite a while. It's decent stuff if you want something that remains pliable throughout the day without giving a lot of shine like some pomades or most gels. The trick is warming it thoroughly in your palms before running it through damp hair. It's a mess on dry hair, at least mine. On the downside my hair and scalp feel kinda greasy at the end of the day, moreso than without anything or a simple gel.

I recently switch to Bumble&Bumble Sumotech. It's a bit lighter so it goes on better on mostly dry hair and doesn't leave me greasy. Seems easier to wash out, too.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    I used it for quite a while. It's decent stuff if you want something that remains pliable throughout the day without giving a lot of shine like some pomades or most gels. The trick is warming it thoroughly in your palms before running it through damp hair. It's a mess on dry hair, at least mine. On the downside my hair and scalp feel kinda greasy at the end of the day, moreso than without anything or a simple gel.

I recently switch to Bumble&Bumble Sumotech. It's a bit lighter so it goes on better on mostly dry hair and doesn't leave me greasy. Seems easier to wash out, too.
    I've tried Sumotech. My hair is too coarse for it to work right.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post

I've tried Sumotech. My hair is too coarse for it to work right.

Fiber is definitely stronger than Sumotech, but it doesn't dry in place so your coarse hair may pull it out of style throughout the day. I've tried American Crew's Pomade and Forming Cream as well. Between the three, I think Pomade hardens the most and is about as strong as Fiber. The Forming Cream is closest to Sumotech.

Swing by a TJMaxx sometime. They had 0.5oz mini-tubs of the three American Crews for only $1.00 each. This was a few months ago, though.

Oh, and there's also Bumble&Bumble Sumowax. Stronger than Sumotech, better for molding a style.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 7th July 2010 at 02:50 AM.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

I used Fiber when my hair was longer and was quite pleased with its matte hold. Now that I am buzzed for summer, it sits lonely on my bathroom counter.

I take it you took another gander at this thread?

Thanks for the help gents!! Very cool.

Basenotes Institution

I used to use it, when I had hair, and I always felt like I liked AC Pomade better than Fiber. Perhaps it was that the Fiber left my hair with less shine and I liked it shinier. In any event, it was really hard to wash out. Thank God I have a buzz cut now.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I used to use it, when I had hair, and I always felt like I liked AC Pomade better than Fiber. Perhaps it was that the Fiber left my hair with less shine and I liked it shinier. In any event, it was really hard to wash out. Thank God I have a buzz cut now.
    Anyone on here used Aveda Men's Clay?

I have used Aveda Shaping Wax and like it. The Bumble and Bumble, the Fibre and the Grooming Clay are waxy and they havfe decent hold but they peter out in like 5 hours

I use KMS Hairplay. I have mixed feelings about the scent, it's a rather strong fruity sort of thing... but the product works great
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I use KMS Hairplay. I have mixed feelings about the scent, it's a rather strong fruity sort of thing... but the product works great
    cool. will have to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    cool. will have to check it.
    i'm debating between KMS and Aveda clay...

Dog, me too sorta. It is between the Aveda Grooming Clay and American Crew Fiber. I have a brand new Jack Black hair gel that I used a dime's size out of if anyone wants to trade for the Aveda Clay or American Crew Fiber. sblaiss at gmail dot com is best way to get me

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Dog, me too sorta. It is between the Aveda Grooming Clay and American Crew Fiber. I have a brand new Jack Black hair gel that I used a dime's size out of if anyone wants to trade for the Aveda Clay or American Crew Fiber. sblaiss at gmail dot com is best way to get me
    Does anyone know if either KMS or Aveda sends out samples? I don't have a salon close. Thanks!! I know Kyan from Queer Eye is a big fan of the KMS and he has sweet hair. I can get my hands on the American Crew at any drug store...which is good!

If either of you guys wants to do a swap or something that might work. I can send you a little container (like a 5ml mini tub) of KMS for some random frag or whatever. PM if you're interested.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads