Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question What do you use your Wardrobe Test list for? And your Wish list?

There isn't any right or wrong way to use the lists. I have no wish to make rules or follow other people's rules on this. I'm just curious about what others use their wardrobe Test and Wish lists for.

I'll start (and there is almost nothing on my lists right now, but this is what I do):

• My Test list is for fragrances I would like to test (either by using a store tester or getting a sample.) I may have smelled the fragrance before, but may want to test it again. If it's on this list, I don't have a sample of it.

I don't keep a wardrobe list of the samples I have. They are too fluid-- they come, they go, I get them, I give them away/toss them (if very bad.) I'm constantly sampling and passing along samples. The thought of keeping track of them all wearies me. I'd have to be updating constantly, LOL!!

I think, though, I may be in the minority here, and that many BNers do, in fact, use their Test list to keep track of samples they have obtained and are in the process of testing. Am I right?

• My Wish list is for fragrances I am actually thinking of buying (someday, if I am in funds and if the price is right).

Sometimes a perfume may be on both lists; that would mean I need to test it some more before deciding whether to try to get a bottle.

Now-- how about you? What do you use those lists for?

Default Re: What do you use your Wardrobe Test list for? And your Wish list?

My usage is:

Collection is for full bottles that I own

Test list is for decants (5ml or greater)

Wish list is for purchases I would like to make some day

I dont track samples at all

Blog Entries

Thanks for replying oolala30!

I use Collection for full bottles too, but I have a few decants and they go there as well. For example, I'm not testing Creed FdTRB-- I know I love it-- but I only buy decants of it because I can't see myself ever using up the 8.4 oz. bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Thanks for replying oolala30!

I use Collection for full bottles too, but I have a few decants and they go there as well. For example, I'm not testing Creed FdTRB-- I know I love it-- but I only buy decants of it because I can't see myself ever using up the 8.4 oz. bottle.
    That's why I think we need another category for the wardrobes. I like the way you use it....makes a lot of sense. The problem I have with my current way of using the wardrobe is that i dont have a way of tracking fragrances that I truly want to test. I do understand that that is the intent of the 'test list' but at the same time, I dont want to confuse decants with full bottles so I decided to forego keeping a list of 'to test' fragrances. Maybe if there was also a 'note' section as well.

Blog Entries

I like to look at others' lists to help me figure out which samples to send them, when I'm in "sharing samples mode". I prefer to send what people actually desire rather than what they have no use for.

OK...I've just realized that I need to take advantage of more sections of BN. I did a board search to see if there are any ideas for 'notes' in wardrobes and lo and behold... I've missed a lot. Notes are coming as well as many more things. I feel like a dork now. On the other hand, I'm thrilled about the proposed changes. :-)

Blog Entries

The upcoming changes do look great. We will have a lot more flexibility.

I am doing it the way 30R is doing -- and I had multiple discussions with the members trying to convince them that it is the only correct way. Oolala -- if you would like to test something, put them into your To Test list, self-explanatory to me, I believe Test List for decants/samples is wrong.

Hillaire

Frankly I use the feature "test" as a notebook of sorts, that I can recall certain names of things, etc. For when I order samples.
    I use wishlist for scents I want whole bottles of, or decants. As in for swaps. But it's NOT current.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    I am doing it the way 30R is doing -- and I had multiple discussions with the members trying to convince them that it is the only correct way. Oolala -- if you would like to test something, put them into your To Test list, self-explanatory to me, I believe Test List for decants/samples is wrong.
    Ahhhh Twolf...there's no right or wrong here. but I did say in my post that I realize what the test list is for but i chose to use it differently than what its intended. In my case, it was a trade off.... a list to track my decants or no list for 'test'. Its just a choice I made. :-)

Basenotes Institution

I guess I am with Twolf and 30 Roses.
    I use the Test List for scents I am currently testing out or going to test.
    My wishlist for things I will eventually buy.
    Pending is for scents I have bought and I am waiting to receive.
    I also don't keep a list of samples because it would drive me crazy ,they do come and go rapidly .

I put decants in my Wardrobe because technically they aren't samples but I use an asterisk to show they are decants and not full bottles.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 7th July 2010 at 05:02 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Oooooohhh, I'm afraid I'm using it "the wrong way":
    Collection for FBs
    Owned for the FBs I used for quite a while
    Test List for the samples that I am currently testing.................................. or going to test.......... but these are the samples I have already.
    Wish List for everything I want to get, and if the item has stars that means I'd like a FB or large decant, and if there's no stars -- I don't know what it's like but I'd wish to get a sample.

Test list for scents I want to try, wish list for scents I want to buy.

Simple as that.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Test List is for samples and decants less than 15ml.
    Collection is for full bottles and anything over 15 ml.
    Wish List is for things I want to buy full bottles of.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Ideally...
    Test list is for fragrances I'd like to try sometime.
    Wish list for fragrances I'd like to own, either a decant or full bottle.
    Collection is what I have full bottles of.

It's not all up to the minute, however. I find the Wardrobe feature a bit of a chore, actually. :/

Collection is full bottle I own or decants.
    Test list is samples I own, eventually to get to.
    Wish list is a mix unfortunatly. Samples I loved, or sometimes I will "park" a fragrance that I read about and want to try. So I guess I use it as wish to buy, or wish to try.
    Last edited by cello; 7th July 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

To clarify what a list represents to you, just put a sentence of explanation at the top of your category page by clicking the “Settings” button on the upper right of the wardrobe page and typing your message in the box that relates to each section.

For me:
    COLLECTION contains bottles & decants
    OWNED lists samples I have I keep for reference
    TEST is scents I want to sample
    WISH means “want more of”
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

I agree, Quarry-- even if we all have somewhat different uses for the lists, if we briefly state what the lists mean to us at the top of each category page, anyone who looks at our wardrobe can make sense of it quickly.

(Remember to scroll down and click "save settings" if you add text to your wardrobe pages using the settings features, or the changes will be lost.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 7th July 2010 at 02:20 PM.

Basenotes Institution

+1 in agreement with Quarry and 30 Roses- seems the sensible thing to do .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 7th July 2010 at 02:28 PM.

For me currently:
    COLLECTION contains bottles generally or large decants
    OWNED - I don't use this
    TEST - ones I am currently testing, usually proper (5-10ml) decants, not 1-2ml samples
    WISH LIST - ones I either want to sample or have sampled but want full bottles of

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Simple as that.
    ^^ That's what I've been doing but, I think I'm going to go change it to be closer to 30R's version
    I think the confusion of "Test" tab is that it should read "WANT TO test" (assuming you don't have) instead of the assumed "TestING"...
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 7th July 2010 at 03:19 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

bleu autumn haze

Collection is what I own, mostly full bottles but also some larger decants are listed there.
    Test List are fragrances I'm curious about. They are ones I would like to test.
    Wish List are frags that I would like to purchase. Some listed there are sure long shots, but I aim high.

I agree with lilybelle, updating the wardrobe is a bit of chore. Mine is not totally up to date either.

Basenotes Institution

I do try and update my wardrobe but I agree ,it is tedious ! Especially keeping track of those in the directory and those that are not .

DeepSilence

Test List is for frags that you just want to test them,
    If you tested them, put them in TRIED.
    If you want to have a fragrance definitely, and you have plan to buy it, put it on WISHLIST.
    If you had a fragrance that now you don't have it, it's OWNED.
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 7th July 2010 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post

Simple as that.
    Bingo.
    However, my test list is the only section that's not quite up to date, as fragrances I want to try constantly come up as I'm reading posts, and I don't immediately go place them on the test list. Many are just kept in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    To clarify what a list represents to you, just put a sentence of explanation at the top of your category page by clicking the “Settings” button on the upper right of the wardrobe page and typing your message in the box that relates to each section.

For me:
    COLLECTION contains bottles & decants
    OWNED lists samples I have I keep for reference
    TEST is scents I want to sample
    WISH means “want more of”
    ditto, except that Owned is for perfumes I used to own as FB, but no longer have
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 10th July 2010 at 09:44 PM.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Thanks to all who have responded to the thread. It's so interesting to see that we all have our own take on what these lists are for. Well, soon we'll be able to do a lot more with wardrobes, thanks to Grant's efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    +1 in agreement with Quarry and 30 Roses- seems the sensible thing to do .
    +2.

30 Roses,another one here who uses my lists exactly as you do!