Code of Conduct

Question Diptyque blind buy??

Hi everyone, just wanted your opinions. Due to my location mostly i cannot really get to smell any Diptyque frags till i venture out on a shopping spree, but really wanna smell Philosykos and tam dao so was tempted to blind buy.
    Is there anything on the market that these 2 might smell like? anything i can just get an rough draft of what smell they remind me of? Im intrigued by the reviews ive read and peoples suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Diptyque blind buy??

I would not suggest blind buying Philosykos, it's very unique and an acquired taste in my opinion. It's like wet crushed leaves, very earthy and plant-like smell. Personally I find it to be kind of nauseating to be honest.

Diptyque is a good perfume house. Diptyque scents are natural, easy to wear, and quite enjoy able. You should try Tam Dao, and the new Vetiver, if you like woody scents which are suitable for summer. Tam Dao is about fresh and sharp sandalwood. Very masculin with great longervity and sillage. I personally don't like Philosykos.

Diptyque seems pretty generous with giving out sample. Why not write them a request email b4 making the decision

Definitely don't blind buy these.

Tam Dao is a bright, dry Cedar with hints of Sandalwood. Very linear.

wow really interesting responses guys thankyou, here's me expecting another "hyped up" frag that actually turns out just like something else. Sounds like there quite unique.

1. Dyptique is pretty generous with their samples. See here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/206...-Companies-Now

2. I just bought a bottle of Philosykos, my first niche frag actually. Though I'd say it's a try before buy, pretty unique stuff that I didn't really actually like the first time round. A rough, and very general idea of the note can be found in Marc Jacobs for Men, which is a little more earthy, dirty and wet, whereas the Philosykos is a little greener/tart and has a creamyness (coconut), plus projects much better. MJFM is pretty cheap and should be readily available or easy to trade for a sample/decant of.

3. As for Tam Dao, I hear it's excellent. I've got a sample I haven't got round to using yet but it's in a group with a whole bunch of other sandlewoods, so there are some options there (eg Creed Original Santal, MPG Santal Noble, Gucci PH, Tommy Bahamma PH, and many more.)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

If eventually you will blind buy a Diptyque, from your two choices, I would go for Tam Dao. However, personally, my favorite from Diptyque is L'ombre Dans L'eau. Sorry to confuse you.

I would say that Diptyque were pretty safe especially Tam Dao as there isnt anything to dislike about it really , it wears pretty light IMO .

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    3. As for Tam Dao, I hear it's excellent. I've got a sample I haven't got round to using yet but it's in a group with a whole bunch of other sandlewoods, so there are some options there (eg Creed Original Santal, MPG Santal Noble, Gucci PH, Tommy Bahamma PH, and many more.)
    I haven't tried the TB, but I think you'll find Tam Dao very different from the other three (which I also enjoy to varying degrees). It's a fairly unique take on sandalwood, drier, I believe due mainly to the rosewood in the base. Love the stuff.

Philosykos is very green, leafy, with hints of wood and coconut. In other words, a fig-oriented scent. Hermes Un Jardin Mediterranee gives you an idea of that sort of scent.
    Tam Dao is a very, very woody scent. It is dominated by cedar and sandalwood. Do you like the gentle smell of pencil shavings? That is a starting-point for understanding Tam Dao.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    I haven't tried the TB, but I think you'll find Tam Dao very different from the other three (which I also enjoy to varying degrees). It's a fairly unique take on sandalwood, drier, I believe due mainly to the rosewood in the base. Love the stuff.
    Yep, I do agree with you. The others I listed are all "woody" but completely different. So inasfar as recommended similar ones, yeah, my bad, but they're other nice wood ones to consider I think.

Forgot to add - Art of Shaving has a Sandlewood (cologne and shave cream) which might be an alternative. It's pretty good! and they're generous with samples too.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 7th July 2010 at 04:07 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I can pop into Spacenk tomorrow and see if they have any samples for you .... will keep you posted ok

I bought these two blindly and have no regrets. They are both fantastic scents. I would say go for it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Philosykos was created by Olivia Giacobetti, who also created L'Artisan Premier Figuier. I prefer PF; where Philosykos has cedar, PF has sandalwood. Philosykos also has a cool note that doesn't sit right with me. But the two are not so very different.

I tested Tam Dao a few weeks ago. I found it very minimalist and inoffensive, not compelling for me but easy to wear.

Awesome, some great info flying round there, seen as i'm more drawn to woody i think Tam Dao seems the better choice, but seen as i've already got a couple of "pencil shavings" frags Gucci PH etc. I will try to sample 1st just to see how diff they are.

thanks all very much!

I wouldn't blind buy either of them. But if you were to buy one, I'd suggest Tam Dao is the safer choice. I would recommend this fragrance to anyone, it's simply great!

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I can pop into Spacenk tomorrow and see if they have any samples for you .... will keep you posted ok

Thats very Kind If you really dont mind that would be amazing.

Thanks!

To me, Philosykos is a little like Burberry London, just more natural, more earthy. It is very rich and potent with very nice projection and longevity. I'd say it's a safe blind buy if you know you enjoy figs, fig leaves, and maybe a little coconut. As for Tam Dao, the only thing I've found thats come close to it is Kanon's Norwegian Wood only it's a little sweeter in the opening and doesn't last nearly as long. Tam Dao is pretty much the crem della crem of sandalwood fragrances. I got samples of both by contacting them directly, I believe they shipped overseas from the UK or around that area, you should be able to get samples if you contact them and let them know you're interested.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 7th July 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Wow, I never even heard of them before, but it turns out they have a branch here in Nottingham! Fantastic, another place to find fragrances. Only place for niche around here I knew of was John Lewis, thanks again for the mention!

i hate all the fragrances from Diptyque
    so my answer is NO!
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

As promised we went into Spacenk and chatted a while to the assistant in there , alas she said they dont give out samples , she even said they were quite mean ..... I did try