Code of Conduct

Default Seeking a Mysterious Pure Fragrance

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum, so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to fragrances.

A man walked past me the other day with a very distinct scent - one that I would not normally equate to being a worn fragrance. It's the first time I had felt as if I needed to be able to replicate that for myself.

I'll try my best to describe what I experienced in those few seconds... The man smelled fresh, not as if he were wearing a fragrance, but as if he were wearing the atmosphere around him. The purest water and ionized air after a thunderstorm. The scent of water was definitely the strongest note...I turned and asked a coworker if they noticed the way the man smelled, and he did. He said it was as if he had just stepped out of the water.

Is there such a fragrance, or am I searching for something that may have come from a combination of other scents? If this exists, it's something I definitely must have.

Thanks for looking and I hope someone can help me find this "fragrance"!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Seeking a Mysterious Pure Fragrance

Erolfa by Creed smells like the ocean, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by xiton View Post
    Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum, so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to fragrances.

A man walked past me the other day with a very distinct scent - one that I would not normally equate to being a worn fragrance. It's the first time I had felt as if I needed to be able to replicate that for myself.

I'll try my best to describe what I experienced in those few seconds... The man smelled fresh, not as if he were wearing a fragrance, but as if he were wearing the atmosphere around him. The purest water and ionized air after a thunderstorm. The scent of water was definitely the strongest note...I turned and asked a coworker if they noticed the way the man smelled, and he did. He said it was as if he had just stepped out of the water.

Is there such a fragrance, or am I searching for something that may have come from a combination of other scents? If this exists, it's something I definitely must have.

Thanks for looking and I hope someone can help me find this "fragrance"!
    The Beach by Kramer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    The Beach by Kramer
    i just loled so hard

Some of the strongest "water" scents, to me:

Bvlgari Aqua - this smells like you're standing next to the ocean as a storm is rolling in. A bit dark, depressive. I don't think this is what he was wearing, based on your description, but it's worth sniffing as it's very watery indeed and easy to track down.

Kenzo Homme - even more oceanlike than Aqua, this has elements of seaweed and brine mixed with the oceanic water, and a kind of weird "snuffed candle" note (similar to the one present in Body Kouros, oddly). Again, doubt this was what he was wearing but it's worth a sample.

Boss Pure - grapefruits and "water." Not a great scent imo, but pleasant enough, and very smooth and watery. Possibly what he was wearing, as this is still available at many Younkers and perhaps Macys, too.

Now, the last suggestion is one that I doubt he was wearing as it is not very well known, even amongst perfumistas, but I think it best fits the description you gave, and that is: Six Scents Series One, #2 "Wicken 3000." This scent was specifically designed to smell like a fusion of air and water. Read the description (and reviews) at Luckyscent ( here: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._One/No.2.html ) - I think they do a good job of describing the scent.

Good luck with your search!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

silver mountain water by creed

salty ocean Brine with seagrass, after eating citrus to avoid scurvy:
    = EROLFA (get a fresh batch)

chlorine pool in a spotlessly clean 5 star hotel:
    = L'Eau Par Kenzo PH

These are the 2 reference aquatics for their "type of water"

well try out some of the following creeds and you might have it right there, go to a saks 5th or neiman marcus or call them up and ask for samples.

DeepSilence

1+ Silver Mountain Water
    But in SMW, citrus is strongest note for me.

Unless the guy is a Basenoter, I'm guessing Bvlgari Aqua or Bvlgari Aqua Marine

If he's a Bnoter, I'd guessing Derring Do
    Last edited by adonis; 9th July 2010 at 05:55 PM.

Sounds like it could possibly be one of the Gendarme scents.

Could have been Odeur 53 or Angeliques sous la Pluie. They aren't very common fragrances though, so I doubt it... but maybe!
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Six Scents Series One, #2 "Wicken 3000." This scent was specifically designed to smell like a fusion of air and water. Read the description (and reviews) at Luckyscent ( here: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti..._One/No.2.html ) - I think they do a good job of describing the scent.
    WOWZAA!!! Now that sounds intriguing.

That's a pretty tall order Xiton...but some of the folks in here will point you in some directions you can pursue. It sounds like you're describing what we call an "aquatic" scent and there are lots and lots of them. That could have been one of many different fragrances.

Check out some of the suggestions. I'm going to guess it's going to be something designer and readily available. I think Bvlgari Aqua might be a place to start.

Your location is as mysterious as the scent you smelled, so we don't know what possible stores to direct you to.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 10th July 2010 at 01:20 AM.

Hey all, just a small update.

I went to a local Sephora to find a few of the fragrances mentioned in the thread, and was able to test a few of them there.

After testing Bvlgari Aqua and Aqua Marine, L'Eau Par Kenzo PH, I can say I do not believe these are close enough to the scent, but I was very interested in them. I ended up taking a sample of the Kenzo home to see how it is after some wear. I also ended up spending over an hour just testing other fragrances for the first time. It was exciting... I actually really enjoyed being able to sample the fragrances there without being hovered over by an employee. If there are other stores with layouts similar to this, it would be perfect!

Sorry about not including my location, I guess I need to edit my profile a little bit. I'm in the Northern Virginia area, if that helps anyone.

Thanks again for all the recommendations. If anyone thinks of something else, please add it to the thread. I will get to them as soon as I can either find or afford a sample.

If you hang around in here and sample a bit, you'll likely find your mystery scent. Knowing your location just helps us point to whether there are stores we can direct you to, or you need to buy samples online.

Good luck on your quest. Let us know if you find it.

Wow that could really be so many things. There are lots of great ozonic fresh scents out there that kind of just smell like freshness. Most of them flavor the freshness slightly one way or another for example: floral musks like Gendarme or Puro Lino, and some go towards citrus such as Acqua di Parma Intensa, Signorricci or CdG Soda. The more ozonic fresh scents are usually things with lots of white musk in them along with iso e super such as: Nasomatto Silver Musk, L Eau d' Serge Lutens, CDG Odeur 53 or 71 or Antimatierre by LesNez. A really inexpensive option that smells like this airy watery musk is IZOD body spray which you can pick up in Target or Walmart. Some fresh scents smell like laundry fresheners like Outrageous by Frederic Malle. Some watery fresh scents smell kind of green like L'Eau L' Artisan or Angelique Sous La Pluie. Lots of choices out there.

I'm wearing the sample of L'Eau Par Kenzo Pour Homme today to see how it is. I do like the light, clean fragrance of it.

Whatever I had smelled seemed as if it didn't have any additional scent to it, so I believe anything floral or citrus would be out, unless those notes are very muted after wearing for a while.

I have a lot to test and learn, it seems.
    Last edited by xiton; 10th July 2010 at 08:03 PM.

Again, be sure to check out Boss Pure.

Also, some others that I think may fit the bill:

Kenneth Cole Reaction T-Shirt
    Nautica Voyage
    CK One
    CK Be
    Hugo XY
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 10th July 2010 at 08:40 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Kenneth Cole Reaction T-Shirt
    Very good suggestion. It hadn't come to mind but now that you mention it...

As to the Nautica - Voyage, I love that and wore it for a good period of time. To me it was very "melony". My wife descibed it as a cucumber smell but I didn't get that.

I wore CK One for a short period, when it first came out, and it made me think of Cheerios.

Regardless of my opinion, those all are fine suggestions.

I forgot to mention L'Eau Bleue Fraiche by Issey Miyake. It smells like fresh minty water (in a sense).
    Sales thread here