Code of Conduct

Default Which rose to try

Any suggestions for a good daytime rose scent? I love rose but the scents ive tried have missed the mark for me.
    Serge lutens majeste rose and Fredric malle une rose are beautiful but the wriong side of feminine for me.
    Voleur de roses i could wear but it has the boozy gin note i get in Penhaligon elixer which i dont care for.
    No 88 i like as a scent but im not keen on the Edwardian dandy image it projects. The only one i keep going back to is Lyric man but after 3 samples i still wont commit. Perhaps its that toe curling , nose burning first hour i dont know.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I think im really after a woody/insense rose but im open to new directions.

Default Re: Which rose to try

Have you ever tried Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose? It's a rose with both dewy and resinous, slightly incense-smoked aspects but it's not as soapy as n.88 and doesn't conjure up the dandy image.
    Another one, more on the spicy side, is Dyptique Opone which had rose and saffron.

Post Thanks / Like

L'ombre Dans L'eau by Diptyque

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is Tom Ford's Noir de Noir. Sweet/sensual, smokey rose; very unisex fragrance but leans more to the masculine side just a tad imo. From the Private Collection, so you can expect the rich quality that TF does so well.

Thanks, Diptyque i can try but eau d italie sadly can no longer be found in the uk. I like the description of Paestum and i like the perfumer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Try Domenico Caraceni 1913,
    a dignified, barbershoplike gentlemens rose. Formal, easy to pull off and just a great overall frag!
    Smellin good

Just read the script for noir de noir and it sounds like an easier to wear Lyric. Normally the word aoud would scare me of. I work in retail and some of our Middle Eastern customers wear it straight. Wow , i have to hold my breath, but i could see it work with a good balance of florals.

Caraceni 1913 cant seem to find in London. Pity , i like soapy barber fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Czech & Speake Dark Rose? It is still my favourite rose fragrance. There is a little aoud in there but it never gets cloying in the way some Montale does (to me). It is also somewhat "ashy" and although listed as "feminine" I find it very masculine. For me it works in every occasion. (I have only tried the vintage by the way - some say it has changed in the last formulation).
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

For woods/incense/spice + rose:-

Le Labo Rose 31
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Sonoma Scent Studio Vintage Rose

All these wonderful names ive never heard of. Im beginning to think the niche firms dont come to England because they think we still wear Old spice and Brut

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would give Montale's Louban a try. Turkish Rose, Aoud, Smoked Patchouli and Sandalwood!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Different Company Rose Poivree
    Amouage Lyric
    Montale Black Oudh
    Alain Delon Iquitos
    Le Labo Rose 31
    C&S Dark Rose
    L'Artisan Parfumer Voleur du Roses

Gosh. I can feel a city break to Paris comming on.

Post Thanks / Like

But you've got Penhaligon's! How about Hammam Bouquet? Have you ever tried it? It's probably my favourite rose of them all.

I second Paestum Rose, Sonoma Scent Studio Vintage Rose and Le Labo Rose 31, and add Les Parfums de Rosine Rose d'Homme (just a teeny bit of leather, warm ambery drydown) and Montale Black Aoud.

I like some Penhalgons. I wear Raquets formula and own Love potion no9 which has a bit of rose ( dont have the courage to wear it during the day! A scent for a date). I tried Hamman on a strip and i ignored it for some reason. Also tried le labo but only got a cumin note. Maybe im fussy but florals are tricky. I spent a lot of money on Une fleur de cassie and never wear it.

Tried Rose de Homme also. Loved the opening but did not get on with the leather note.

Going to try a sample of Black aoud from e bay. Would also like to try Paestum rose but that will be difficult.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Cabaret by Gres.. its cheap too

Do you mean the womans version?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Try Domenico Caraceni 1913,
    a dignified, barbershoplike gentlemens rose. Formal, easy to pull off and just a great overall frag!
    This one is as elegant and masculine as they come. Be prepared to answer questions about what you are wearing. It is a hard scent to find anywhere. BTW- it gets called "barbershop-ish" but it is not soapy imo.

Le Labo Rose 31 is a nice modern take on a male rose scent that is pretty versatile. I wear to work or play.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 21st September 2010 at 02:44 AM.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by junkfood View Post
    Cabaret by Gres.. its cheap too
    I think this is a great rose scent to try for those whose only concern is that they like the smell of the fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Luckyscent ships internationally and charges $5.00 for shipping samples, according to their website. They carry Paestum Rose (which I also recommend-- and my husband likes it as well!)

I had no idea Luckyscent would do international. Reasonable rates too. Thanks.
    Just found an old sample of une rose. Very classy but there is no way i would feel comfortable with it.

I've ordered some rose frags today at aLzD: (www.ausliebezumduft.de)
    Montale - Aoud Roses Petals MONTALMRYO2-100 1 122,00 €
    Domenico Caraceni - Eau de Toilette DC01-A 1 3,00 €
    Montale - Crystal Flowers MONTALE MCRFL-A 1 4,00 €
    Montale - Oud Queen Rose MONTALOUQURO-A 1 4,00 €
    Montale - Roses Musk MONTALE MROM-A 1 4,00 €
    Czech & Speake - Dark Rose CCSP0DR-A 1 4,00 €
    Czech & Speake - No. 88 EdC CCSP031-A 1 4,00 €
    I'm very curious!
    I own Paestum Rose and Black Aoud and I love them both.

Rosissimo by Pafums de Rosine

I must try rosissimo.
    Im also very interested in the Montale house. We have Arabic perfume houses in London but the sales techniques are intimidating!
    You are normally shown the " special room" with some shocking prices.

Domenico Caraceni 1913 or Czech & Speake NO. 88.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of the praise heaped on Domenico Caraceni and would like to add Aramis 900 to the discussion. 900 has a rose oil smell that doesn't smell like a feminine floral. Also, Zino has a nice rose note and is discontinued but still available and worth a purchase.

duplicate

Does anybody know where i can get Caraceni in the UK?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kusum65 View Post
    Does anybody know where i can get Caraceni in the UK?
    You can have it shipped from within the EU from here
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/domeni...ette-2761.html

As mentioned already by other members, for your incense rose cravings, Domenico Caraceni 1913 & Paestum Rose are good choices. DC 1913 has more tobacco than incense, so take note of that.

One delicious rose fragrance is Tom Ford Noir de Noir. No incense here but along with rose, you have vanilla, patchouli, saffron and truffles. Very unique and mesmerising.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm enjoying all the talking up of Caraceni 1913- it was my first purchase after joining Basenotes. It is a delight. It's also supported with shaving cream, shower gel and shampoo.

But kusum- unclear of your purposes for the rose scent you seek. This is a fairly formal scent. It's a classic chypre. I'm not much into those classifications personally, but it's a pretty complex scent with a prominent rose. I'm willing to have others shout me down, but this one to me requires a bit of sartorial support. Another rose scent in the same vein as Caraceni is Washington Tremlett Black Tie and it too has some of the same elegance. I don't see wearing either of these to a club or with khakis.

Francis Kurkdjian's Rose Barbare for Guerlain is a honeyed, peppery rose chypre, which is very underrated and very unisex. I have been trying for years to find a rose fragrance that I could enjoy and endure, this is the closest I've found so far.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm enjoying all the talking up of Caraceni 1913- it was my first purchase after joining Basenotes. It is a delight. It's also supported with shaving cream, shower gel and shampoo.

But kusum- unclear of your purposes for the rose scent you seek. This is a fairly formal scent. It's a classic chypre. I'm not much into those classifications personally, but it's a pretty complex scent with a prominent rose. I'm willing to have others shout me down, but this one to me requires a bit of sartorial support. Another rose scent in the same vein as Caraceni is Washington Tremlett Black Tie and it too has some of the same elegance. I don't see wearing either of these to a club or with khakis.
    I find the rose note very up lifting but im after one thats easy to wear during the day at work. If black tie and caraceni has the elegance of no 88 then i want to try both.

The Francis Kurkdijan scent sounds interesting. Ive never heard of it before but ive been meaning to try Lumiere noir from his own range. I believe that has a rose note.

No votes for Black Tie??

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    Tried a few samples from Lucky scent. First up was Black Tie with one of the best openings i have ever encountered. It did dry down to creamy woods which over whelmed the rose some what. Very good though.
    Next was Black Aoud. So strong i found it to much. After an hour however i loved it. Much like Paestum Rose, a bit girly when first applied but dried down to a lovely transparent wood incense with a familiar note from Timbuktu.
    Unfortunately i forgot to order Domenico Caraceni so missed out there. My only other sample was Rose Poivre . Now i like some Ellenas compositions and i wear Sel de Vetiver a lot but this was just stinky. Old pot pouri to my nose but i will give it another go.
    This has given me plenty to go on though and will be ordering from lucky scent soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, as belated suggestions, both Ungaro II and Ungaro III have splendid rose notes in it, but are rather close to evening frags

Perhaps Costes? It's rose + spices (cinnamon/bay) over sandalwood.

I'd recommend Lyric Man but I see your reservations about it. I don't get any kind of nose burning effect the first hour - I'm sorry that you do!

I haven't found any other rose dominant scents that have moved me much, unfortunately. I do really like Micallef's Aoud Homme - perhaps the best oud/rose blend I've found so far, but I don't know if I'd consider it day wear.

Ah, a long shot that you might enjoy is Azzaro Now Men. The rose oxide note is prevalent throughout, and it is flanked by green notes, tea, and cardamom. It's smooth and fresh and quite light and ethereal. I really enjoy it, although it doesn't smell like a traditional rose (much greener than most, even greener than the imo very green Lyric Man).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I love the sound of Costes. Who sells it?

In case of, some words about Serge Lutens - Rose de nuit : an extreme perfume, maximum radiant, a flying carpet. Turkish rose absolute gives the ton of the fragrance. The yellow jasmine assures his suavity and his creamy start acompagned by a fruity apricot scent. The muscs and ambers give all the long a sensual and animalic warmth asserted by the santal. Beeswax absolute comes to reinforce the rich and honeyed sides of the Turkish rose absolute, and complete his nocturnal and fatal aspect.

Maybe not for every day, but merits to be smelled at least one time.

Quote Originally Posted by kusum65 View Post
    I love the sound of Costes. Who sells it?
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...Atomizer).html
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks. May have to order more samples before i make a choice.
    As for Rose de nuit, whenever i go to a store selling Serge Lutens they only have Majeste rose which if amazing but to feminine.

You can get the wax samples of all the exclusives lutens for free with a little mail adressed to the Salons du palais royal shiseido (and a kind ask)

Actually, Aus Liebe Zum Duft carries Costes too, and would probably be much easier and cheaper for you to get a sample from:

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/duefte/costes.html
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thanks guys.

Just purchased Francis Kurkdjians Lumiere noir. This is very nice , rose isnt to dominant and has a nice musk patchouli base.
    Doesnt last long but very enjoyable scent.
    I dont think im done with rose though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

creed's Fleur de the rose bulgare!!!!!! hands down

+1 Tom Ford's Noir de Noir.....delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    For woods/incense/spice + rose:-

Le Labo Rose 31
    Domenico Caraceni 1913
    Sonoma Scent Studio Vintage Rose
    i second the motion on le labo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of Amouage Lyric either, too synthetic and snrill.
    Just like Caraceni is far too synthetic & shrill.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Have you ever tried Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose?
    A good one.
    2nd'ed

Also try:
    Costes EDT (red flacon)
    Amouage Homage
    CREED Windsor
    Tauer Une Rose Chypree
    Penhaligon's Castile (orange blossom & rose)
    Washington Tremlett Black Tie
    Le Labo Rose 31

CREED's Private Collection Fleur de the Rose Bulgarie is excellent, but likely too femme for you as it was me.

Post Thanks / Like

How about 'Warrior' from Boadicea the Victorious. This has a long lasting Rose note in tandem with Lemon - v nice. Others I have are 'Black Aoud' and 'Rossissimo' (sp?).
    dnc