Code of Conduct

Default Voyage D'Hermes blind buy, quick review...

Just got my blind buy of Voyage D'Hermes and almost dropped and broke the bottle before I got a chance to try it!

My first impression of the bottle was that it's a lot different than it looks in the picture, because the 3.4 oz bottle has a lot of depth-- while it looks thin from the pictures, it's a lot more squarish in its dimensions. I tried to spray some on my arm, but the bottle is a little unwieldy to use at first, so it tumbled out of my hand and I had to grab it before it fell to the floor below.

My first reaction to the scent? It's a strange one at first. I got this strange "flame broiled" note immediately, surrounded by wet, warm concrete. It transported me back to childhood when I was sitting with my dad in the garage, and we were grilling burgers after a massive rainstorm, watching the rainbow form in the dark sky.

Then a few seconds later, it smelled very dirty for a minute or two. Maybe the cardamom note is giving it that funky note-- I've heard someone refer to this scent as a "dirty socks" scent, which I can understand. This only lasts for a couple of minutes. It reminds me a little bit of Cartier Declaration Bois Bleu-- a scent which I absolutely abhor-- but this one is better I think.

Coming after Terre D'Hermes, which had no musk notes-- the musk here was a bit of a shock. Definitely unisex. I don't know exactly what I was expecting. I didn't really know what to make of TdH at first either, so I think it may take me some time to figure this out...

Default Re: Voyage D'Hermes blind buy, quick review...

Are you sure you sampled Voyage d'Hermes?

Basenotes Institution

I smelled the 'flame broiled' note too Indie...strange isn't it?

And the bottle is quite square-ish (I swear it looks like an Apple product) but it really is just beautiful. I wish I liked the juice inside as much as I like the bottle.

I would be interested if you smell any connection to VdH and the two first Jardins, which I know you are familiar with. Especially UJSLN,

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I smelled the 'flame broiled' note too Indie...strange isn't it?

And the bottle is quite square-ish (I swear it looks like an Apple product) but it really is just beautiful. I wish I liked the juice inside as much as I like the bottle.

I would be interested if you smell any connection to VdH and the two first Jardins, which I know you are familiar with. Especially UJSLN,

It does look like an Apple product! Good call.

I don't really get much of connection with the Jardins. After an hour on my skin, I'm getting a LOT of iso e super on the drydown. Not necessarily a bad thing-- who besides us fragrance freaks really knows what iso e super is anyway? I also get peeks here and there of that weird chicken bullion cube note that I get from Declaration Essence. But back to the iso e super thing, Terre D'Hermes wouldn't be the same without it-- and I consider that one of the true modern classics. It's a fantastic material. In Voyage D'Hermes, it seems a bit more naked in the drydown. I'll have to spend some time with this and see how it grows on me.

To me it has the same structure as TdH, in fact even similar juices. VdH with more cardamom in the opening and a hint of lime. doesn't last as long as TdH but is seemingly lighter in both smell and feel. Basically a stripped down TdH, take out all the orange, grapefruit and citrus notes, replace it with more cardamom or pepper, a little lime and less woods and voila, you've got VdH.

Upon reapplication, it now smells like Lemongrass coconut curry thai noodles. Very odd scent. I do like the drydown.

i'm still undecided on this one... i'm feeling its a bit to feminine for me...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    To me it has the same structure as TdH, in fact even similar juices. VdH with more cardamom in the opening and a hint of lime. doesn't last as long as TdH but is seemingly lighter in both smell and feel. Basically a stripped down TdH, take out all the orange, grapefruit and citrus notes, replace it with more cardamom or pepper, a little lime and less woods and voila, you've got VdH.
    I agree for the most part. However, VdH has a rather large dose of creamy high quality white musk, whereas TdH does without it.

This stuff reminds me of Mugler Cologne...
    I even have a feeling that Ellena tried to copy this.

I don't get weird notes though.
    "Lemongrass coconut curry thai noodles"? Are we smelling the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    This stuff reminds me of Mugler Cologne...
    I agree. Not feeling this at all...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I also get peeks here and there of that weird chicken bullion cube note that I get from Declaration Essence.
    OM*G - THAT'S what that weird-ass smell was reminding me of. Yeah, just hints of it - enough to be freaky, but not to ruin it. Once this simmers down and the odd bits and pieces are in the past, I have a smooth sail with this fragrance.

I'm kinda with Mikey on this ("Let Mikey try it!" ). It's an OK scent, but it's like a stand-up single or a blooper double - no HR for me like Terre was. It's sorta like "Will It Blend?" guy got lucky at the Hermès counter.

Glad I bought it, still. I love the fact that I can overindulge in it horribly to keep it at this primo point in the development that I love, and my wife still thinks it smells good.

I got gin and tonic...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

You guys are making me hungry!

I really do like the drydown a lot, even if it's kind of a simple musk and iso e super kind of affair. It's just that I've tried to wear Declaration Essence before and had to give up when I got negative feedback on it. I find it to be a dirtier kind of scent than I was expecting. I also get a weird salty note, but it's almost like the water left over after you boil hotdogs.

It's funny people asking me if we're smelling the same scent... maybe with all of the musks in this one, it can be more subjective depending on the wearer's ability to smell certain musks. I hated the Bois Bleue flanker of Declaration because something in it makes me almost nauseous-- Voyage D'Hermes has bits of this floating through it too. Strange scent. I hope that one day soon it will "click" for me.

For me it's so similar to TdH that I don't see the point of Hermes in coming out with it.

I was deeply underwhelmed. When smelled alongside all the (boring? pointless?) mainsteam musky stuff at the airport it seemed to blend seemlessly in.....
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

When I was last in a Hermes store, the sales rep talked about this and the one word she used that stuck in my mind was "doughy". I wasn't testing it that day, but that comment struck me.

I have only worn it a few times but first impression(s) is the common 'Jardin accord' meets a toned down Declaration sort of thing. Glimpses of different Ellena moments. I don't feel any connection with TdH, though . . . maybe that'll come with a few more wearings. I get the feeling it's designed as an entry level Hermes scent for newcomers to the brand . . . I'm enjoying it more as I wear it more.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 26th July 2010 at 11:14 AM.

It smells similar to Eau de Cartier except the cedar is replaced by the pepper and woods. It tries to achieve what eau de cartier does. To me, it is a stripped down version of TDH. I'm not feeling it either and it does lean a little to far on the fem side, for my liking.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Voyage d'Hermes is a fragrance interesting to watch developing on your skin. On me this one has an overall grassy light woody impression, but if you pay atention carefully you see that the scent changes in fast and light movements on your skin. Is like the fragrance is adjusting the focus through the day, and in this you can notice similarties with other Hermés and Elena creations. I have noticed similarties with Un Jardin Apres La Mousson, Terre d`Hermes, Eau des Merveilles, Eau de Gentiane Blanche from the first time I smelled it. After I sampled Frederic Malle Angeliques Sous La Pluie I saw that they also have something in common. What is interesting is that Voyage doesn`t look like a mix of parts from other fragrances, but more like a conclusion to the minimalist ideas they started to develop.

I secretly called it Un Jardin dans Hermés, since i have to me it looks like a part of the Un Jardin series the captures the signatura of Hermes frags.

I don't know why this scent is so hard to get. It's seems to be very different things to different people. I find it to be most like Declaration. Some find it redundantly similar to Terre D'Hermes. Still others find it more like the Jardins. Also some compare it to Eau de Cartier and Mugler Cologne.

I could not see any Terre D'Hermes connection, but when I think about it, I think it's probably the iso e super and vetiver notes, and possibly a grapefruit note. I do get a bit of that grey Eau de Cartier feel from Voyage D'Hermes though it's still quite different. Still, there is something so musty and weird about this one. It dries down to something good, but the second stage lasting from about 2-10 minutes smells like I'm wearing someone else's sweat. I do agree with rickbr's assessment that it does move through noticeable stages.

I wonder how this performs in the heat. I've only really tested this indoors in the air conditioning and it seems to disappear somewhat. I'm curious to see if this is one of those scents that re-blooms when you get the blood circulating a little.

I got a very "pickled ginger" (stuff you get with sushi) vibe from it when I sampled it. Interesting, but not something I'd want to smell like.
    Last edited by Smeghead; 14th July 2010 at 07:33 PM.

I tried it weeks ago, I recalled noted similar to some in Terre D'Hermes. I imagined Voyage's brief mentioning the need for changes in Terre's top notes in favor of citric / spicy notes, thus making it more unisex. I liked it, I found it complex and original, but did not think of it as groundbraking. Call me an old fogey, I still prefer Herme's classics - Equipage, Bel Ami and Eau D'Orange Vert.

utterly transparent and forgettable. but not offensive or cheap-smelling like a typical designer frag.

also is possibly the shortest lasting fragrance I've ever tried.

Works well on a woman I'm fond of. Smells like a nice vanilla on the dry down.

It is a nice fragrance but not overwhelming , I think the bottle outshines what is inside it ! On the dry down the light musk base notes reminded me of something else and realised it was just the same as Bvlgari pour Homme ( original ) !!! But only finished a bottle of that a couple of months ago so couldn't compare them side by side .

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    ....I wonder how this performs in the heat. I've only really tested this indoors in the air conditioning and it seems to disappear somewhat. I'm curious to see if this is one of those scents that re-blooms when you get the blood circulating a little.
    From my experience here, heat and moisture definitely reignites VdH. That's part of the beauty of this scent.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    ...also is possibly the shortest lasting fragrance I've ever tried.
    Funny, because this scent lasts a good 6 hours on my skin, and thats still on the back of my hand. A full wear will last even longer.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

i tried this and think is pretty good, long lastig and very diffusive.

I do agree that it is a melange of different previous Ellena´s scents:
    The structure of Declaration (Very dry woods and cardamom) with the freshness of Eau de Gentiane, the dry papyrus of Sur le Nile, some capsicum present in Paprika Brazil and nice creamyness in the drydown. I also detect some iris.

It is complex and develops dramatically. I believe it is what Olivia Jacobetti would do if asked to make her own interpretation of Ellena´s Style.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Some "coincidences":

Voyage d'Hermes & Bulgari Eau de The Vert (+ Extreme)

Nose: Jean Claude Ellena

Common Notes: Tea, Cardamom, Pepper, White Woods (see various sites)

Rather than get the Terre d'Hermes similarity, i knew Vd'H reminded me of something else, till my wife wore my (now our ) Bulgari Eau de The Vert EDP. Bam! The similarity was amazing. The Mugler Cologne association is quite spot-on, and must be from the "white woods" which may be some form of vetiver aromachemicals and Iso-E Super playing in tandem (just a guess). The Terre d'Hermes association could just be the common citrus notes the two Hermes frags have, Td'H having higher concentrations.

IMO, V'dH's unique signifier is the pronounced tea note, which brings it into Bulgari territory.

Vd'H is my SotD. It looks like its going to be a good day
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

So simple and relaxing fragance! I want to buy one bottle soon!
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received a sample of this from Hermes, and I like it alright, it is definitely the work of Ellena doing work for the house of Hermes. I've said before and I will say it again, as much as I like the smell of iso e super, I think Ellena is becoming heavy-handed with it and I am beginning to ONLY smell the iso e super in the recent offerings from this house.

Blog Entries

I dont ever see myself buying this. Its unimpressive at best