Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain Homme Intense EDP

On the second try, they got this one right IMO.

Last year I bought Guerlain Homme despite all of the bad reviews. I liked it enough, but didn't feel that it was all that special. A nice fresh scent, but not quite "Guerlain" enough.

Today I just got my blind bottle of Guerlain Homme Intense EDP (at a very good price) and I find it so much more satisying than the original EDT. It's got a substantial density to it. Fresh and minty, but with a heftier woody base. Maybe it's a more modern, synthetic fixative type of structure than the traditional Guerlainade, but it still smells very good to my nose. I get slight facets of bittersweet dark chocolate and licorice. This in concert with the rhubarb gives flashes of Mugler's B*Men. I definitely see a similarity in the way the EDP version of L'Instant PH is rendered. The original Homme seems too diffusive and it seems too loosely held together. The Intense establishes more of a middle bridge between the top and bottom, and it comes across as more coherent. The musk component here has a bit more of a sexy quality too. Kind of reminds me of Montblanc Presence in spots, with its mint/powder interplay.

This will never be confused with Heritage, Habit Rouge or Vetiver, but it's a good modern release that is an improvement over its original; A sporty, versatile evening scent.

Default Re: Guerlain Homme Intense EDP

Thanks, Indie...my bottle is on the way! I tried it at Epcot, liked it, but the price there killed the deal.

Blog Entries

Excellent description of the scent - total agreement here. And the subjective summary - that it's "more Guerlain" than the original - YES. I think if this one would have come out first, the perfumista community would have probably thought it less of a deviation from the past, and regarded the later EdT as merely a commercial flanker. But I can see why the EdT going first made sense - sometimes its good for a sleepy old company to show that it can still make some moves.

I agree that it's more satisfying - I find myself craving the EdP much more often that I do the EdT. And versatile, too. Great daytime scent once it cools off a bit - you'll see.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 9th July 2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: and, and, like, too many ands

Basenotes Institution

So...what's the mint note like in the EdP. The same as the EdT or stronger/lighter?

Would the EdP still be easy to wear in warm weather?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I actually prefer the top notes from Homme. While I find the Homme Intense more satisfying and better constructed, I found myself missing the mojito top notes of the original...

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So...what's the mint note like in the EdP. The same as the EdT or stronger/lighter?

Would the EdP still be easy to wear in warm weather?
    I still get mint, but it's much more subdued-- none of that cat pee note that fresh mint sometimes gives off-- sometimes when I'm making mojitos, I wince a little if the mint is particularly "vivid" smelling. It's funny, but the Intense is really making me think of B*men, but much better. B*Men sometimes has a bit of a dog doo note that kills it for me. Guerlain Homme Intense has some of the same green woody/rhubarb structure, but nothing I dislike. (cat pee, dog doo... sorry!)

Even though it's an EDP, it doesn't seem like a much of a powerhouse. It wears close to the skin and it lasts pretty well. I don't know about sillage as I haven't really had enough time to find out. I do think this would be very easy to wear in warm weather. There is a part of the drydown where it almost has a "sitting in the Dr.'s office" vibe, but it's not unpleasant. Looking forward to wearing this to work tonight.

I finally was able to purchase a bottle of the EDT. I do think the opening is very similar to the EDP, but it really changes on me after a few minutes and becomes mostly all about a tonka accord. For me this is a good thing, since Tonka is a note I'm particularly fond of. I know a lot of people think EDP equals power, but that is not necessarily the case of course. This one doesn't project quite as much as the EDT on me, but it is deeper, warmer and a bit more sensual. I really quite like it.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 17th September 2010 at 01:59 AM.

I'd like to give the EDP Intense a go. I was nonplussed at the EDT, but very much enjoyed Homme L'eau... a flanker that surprised me.

I like L'eau as well. It's one of the few scents which strongly feature grapefruit that I love.

Blog Entries

I'm definitely looking forward to L'Eau. Hmmmmm. Maybe it's time to make a call....

I had a big night planned for my birthday last week and decided to wear Guerlain Homme Intense EDP. I was very pleased with it. Even late the next day after I slept off a hangover and went to get my car which I'd left across town-- it was still there, fresh and woody. It's just one of those scents that would probably be thought of as mainstream smelling (though much better quality), yet just smells great on my skin and works with my clothes/hair/style. Again, I think there's a pretty substantial Haitian(to my nose) vetiver note in the EDP, which bolsters the woody aspects and gives a little cover to the woody amber base which gives it such lasting power.

Actually this scent has gotten me back into wearing the EDT also. I use the EDT during the day and the EDP at night usually. I've received compliments from women on both versions. I think I'll give L'Eau a try when it becomes more widely available.

I was really lucky to snag a bottle of the EDP for under $40 at Beauty Encounter, but they've since fixed what must have been a pricing error and now it's in the $90-ish range if I recall.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

A very nice Guerlain release. If this is a new direction for Guerlain (which should not try to remain too rooted in the past) then the house will still be as pre-eminent to a new generation as it is now.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I'd like to give the EDP Intense a go. I was nonplussed at the EDT, but very much enjoyed Homme L'eau... a flanker that surprised me.
    Dimmy, the EDP is close to the L`Eau flanker i think. But you get a sweeter mint more pronounced with a boozy rum, and the lemon is barely detectable on this version.

I cannot see Guerlain Homme Intense as true to the Guerlinade Accord. Or even the newest interpretation of the Guerlinade, the muscinade. Guerlain Homme Intense seems to me a minty, leafy, boozy fragrance that goes on an inverse direction and gets slightly fresh, woody, close to skin at the base. The base of this one seems very iso e super to me, having that velvet woody aroma that lasts forever but it`s close to skin.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Dimmy, the EDP is close to the L`Eau flanker i think. But you get a sweeter mint more pronounced with a boozy rum, and the lemon is barely detectable on this version.

I cannot see Guerlain Homme Intense as true to the Guerlinade Accord. Or even the newest interpretation of the Guerlinade, the muscinade. Guerlain Homme Intense seems to me a minty, leafy, boozy fragrance that goes on an inverse direction and gets slightly fresh, woody, close to skin at the base. The base of this one seems very iso e super to me, having that velvet woody aroma that lasts forever but it`s close to skin.
    That's an interesting interpretation. I personally found l'eau and Intense to be very different. Intense settling into a coumarin accord rather quickly and l'eau moving into a grapefruit direction. I like them both a lot, but found L'eau to be a fresh daytime scent, and Intense to be a bit darker on me, and both moving into different territories.

Just for the record, Guerlain emailed me today and the EDP version is NOT discontiuned. If it gets impossible to order it online in the future, you can directly get it from Guerlain for about 25 euros.....

Nick

I'm slightly confused here: Was there originally an Homme EDT and EDP?

Is Homme Intense a separate frag in its own right, from both of those two?

Or is Homme EDP and Hommer Intense one and the same thing?

L'instant pour homme EDP and Intense are the same thing, since the EDP is the "intense" version of the EDT....

To my nose, the EDP is just a woodier version of the EDT. The EDT last quite long on my skin, maybe longer than the EDP. I much refer the EDT with its mojito accord. The EDP smells stronger at first but it loses the bright and sparking mojito of the EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    That's an interesting interpretation. I personally found l'eau and Intense to be very different. Intense settling into a coumarin accord rather quickly and l'eau moving into a grapefruit direction. I like them both a lot, but found L'eau to be a fresh daytime scent, and Intense to be a bit darker on me, and both moving into different territories.
    On me, i get from l'eau something that is more like lemon than grapefruit to me. It`s almost like a lemonade, with a fresh citrus lemon over a mint that has been toned down. The rum on the l'eau gives me only a very soft sweet pinch. I don`t detect coumarin or anything that could remind me of fava tonka. It`s an amplified rum and mint accord with something leafy that quickly goes into a base that if it`s not iso e super it`s very similar in the shape of the aroma. I use to wear Intense to work, since the mint is refreshing to me and the soft woody base isn`t overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    L'instant pour homme EDP and Intense are the same thing, since the EDP is the "intense" version of the EDT....
    You are confusing the scents. We are talking about Guerlain Homme Intense (EDP Concentration) not L'Instant Pour Homme Extreme (EDP Concentration)

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    Just for the record, Guerlain emailed me today and the EDP version is NOT discontiuned. If it gets impossible to order it online in the future, you can directly get it from Guerlain for about 25 euros.....

Nick
    Fragrancenet is carrying this one at this time for 60 dollars the bigger size...

Quote Originally Posted by Boratio View Post
    I'm slightly confused here: Was there originally an Homme EDT and EDP?

Is Homme Intense a separate frag in its own right, from both of those two?

Or is Homme EDP and Hommer Intense one and the same thing?
    Guerlain Originally launched Guerlain Homme in EDT concentration,and then they reworked the juice, replaced the mojito accord for run and amplified the woods at the base and launched it as an EDP called Guerlain Homme Intense

funkd

"Accidently" purchased Intense on eBay when my low bid won it. I had tried and liked the original version, and the Intense interested me. Having read through what I could find here on BN, I figured an edp would be "more of the same", and it pretty much is.

I actually wore them both (on each wrist) yesterday. I found that at some point in the afternoon I was still catching something sweet in the original version ("sugarcane"?) which was something that made the original special. By the time I went home from work, I still had some mojito from the the original, while the Intense was more in the woody/vetiver direction.

I would choose the original, personally, but they are very similar.
    Last edited by stuigi; 9th February 2011 at 02:25 AM.

funkd

Thought you, if anyone, would get a kick out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Funkd, your avatar almost made me break my neck running out the door to get the brand-spanking-new nonexistent John Varvatos scent! hahahahaha!!! It took me a second to realize it wasn't real.
    Heh. Pretty cool. Welcome to Basenotes!

funkd

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Heh. Pretty cool. Welcome to Basenotes!
    Thanks for the welcome b0n3z! The posts I did in this thread were actually deleted (my very first posting here at BN). Oh well. Thank you though.

Just wondering Indie_Guy, possible to open up a poll for this?
    Interested to find out what people's impressions are of all 3 of the Guerlain Homme range.

1. Guerlain Homme Intense EDP
    2. Guerlain Homme L'eau
    3. Guerlain Homme

I'm wearing Guerlain Homme right now, fresh mint with a depth of woods, I like the burst of mint at the start, I actually like this over Cartier's Roadster, I tried that yesterday and I felt it didn't really work well with the vanilla. I prefer my mint to be without dessert notes, I like mint to be with other fresh greens and woods to complement it. I do not want to smell like a chocolate mint biscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by funkd View Post
    Thanks for the welcome b0n3z! The posts I did in this thread were actually deleted (my very first posting here at BN). Oh well. Thank you though.

And my post with comments regarding Funkd's avatar got removed too. I can't figure out why. Very weird!

funkd

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    And my post with comments regarding Funkd's avatar got removed too. I can't figure out why. Very weird!
    No. It was my fault. My post made a reference to trading (meant as joke), which violates the rules. Admin kindly re-posted it for me with the infraction removed. My bad, new guy should have read the rules!

About Guerlain Homme: I'm going for a big dose of the original for my scent today. Want to be sure about the "mojito magic". I'm looking forward to trying L'Eau.

I do agree that Guerlain is keeping up with modernity.

This is a great direction for the house. Reminds me of the Dior Homme line. With their original, cologne and intense versions. The original having the signature lipstick accord with the iris florals and slight sweetness. The intense version pulled towards the gourmand with the sweet chocolate floral accord brought out. The cologne version with the brightness of citrus and iris.

I am heading to the store later to try all 3 again. I'm wearing the original Guerlain Pour Homme today and will test some of the L'eau and Intense on my skin later at the shop.

funkd

Think I might have found the patchouli in the Intense version yesterday. Now I can't decide which I prefer.

need to get my nose on this

Find the intense not much different than the original, just lasting longer.

Superior to the original ! My summer day time scent...

Tried L'eau a few weeks ago and was very impressed. To me it smells kind of Hermès - that discrete luxe thing, almost like a reformulated superior version of Concentrée d'Orange Verte. Sparkling cologne freshness combined with mature and strict mint - very elegant. Also awesome longevity for the category.

The Intense is nice as well and adds new dimensions to the original Homme. With the trio in place I believe Guerlain has answered up well toward the initial feelings of disappointment that followed the original release. Good job.

This one is actually really nice! I blind bought this several months ago. I chose the intense hoping it would have the better lasting power compared to the EDT. This is one of the "heavier scents" that I wear during the hot weather. It remains to be one of my favorites to this day.

I got it as a present... I can't really say whether I like it or it not because I have a problem with it --> it has a terrible longetivity on me... I get around 2-3 hours, without getting to the drydown

Does anybody else get such a poor longetivity? Is it possible that it ran out?

I wasn't sure at all about the Intense version based on the first spray. I didn't get anything refreshing at all - seemed like all patchouli and vetiver drowned in rum with a hint of mojito. I kept sniffing however.

Went back and sampled again as I was intrigued. This time was much better. Sweet without being cloying, a little minty without toothpaste, boozy without being obnoxious and utterly distinctive. I can honestly say I've never smelled anything quite like it and I've sampled the entire Guerlain Homme range. A perfect summer night scent. Love it.

Can't wait to get mine in next week.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Is it good for all seasons? or only on hot or cold days?

Quote Originally Posted by zanakan View Post
    Is it good for all seasons? or only on hot or cold days?
    Maybe not for the dead of winter, but it is pretty versatile. I've worn it as an office scent in winter, but I prefer it as a more casual scent when it is a bit warmer. Summer nights out, spring, etc.
    Just say no to oniomania.

This one grew on me enough to pick up a 2nd bottle from Overstock.
    Its a unique scent, a freshness without citrus, and a usage of mint without smelling like toothpaste.
    Very well done, and one of 2 scents I own a backup of, the other being Midnight in Paris EDP.
    Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Ralph Lauren - Polo Modern Reserve
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee

Yeah scent is great.
    Today i sprayed it one time on my hand to test it.
    Intense version of guerlain homme, edp.

And after 1 hour almost no smell left.
    Why?
    I sprayed it on my wrist.
    Should i use it on hairs?

Is there soemthing with similar scent but, even if very expensive, longer lasting?

Liked it from the very first testing- rich and complex, with unexpected but well-balanced hints of freshness in spite of the sweeter, headier drydown.