Code of Conduct

Default Need a new work scent...any help?

Hey all,

I'm starting work at a new place as a retail advisor (uk) and am looking for a new work scent. I don't want it to be too expensive as I'll use it alot and should be quite a safe scent as I'll be working with customers face to face...but, I would like something that isn't too generic and looking for something more unique.

Would appreciate any help, specific fragances, or even what you you wear to work. I start on Monday so would like some quick responses

Thanks in advance

moses786

Default Re: Need a new work scent...any help?

A vetiver scent might work well for you. Try Guerlain's or Givenchy's. Or try Thierry Mugler Cologne, which is green-soapy-musky. All of these can be found at reasonable prices.

(For the record, I wear anything and everything to work, but I work in a different setting from what you've described.)
    Last edited by PaulSC; 9th July 2010 at 08:33 AM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Dependent

Hi Moses

Congrats on your new job. Do you have an idea of what your preferences may be? Let us know what you have smelled previously and if you liked them, and we might be able to suggest something closer to what you may fancy.

I'm going to say Bvlgari Pour Homme for something safe and suitable for office. Nothing too formal, but still smells refined. It's a Darjeeling Tea-based scent.
    Last edited by MFJ; 9th July 2010 at 08:32 AM.

Thanks matthew and Paul for the quick replies. I'll check those fragrances out and see what they are like. As for preferences, I used to be someone who had just 2/3 fragrances in my collection (le male and boss bottled) but I have really started to get into different smells...still pretty new to it though!

Looking to broaden my scents and I do seem to favour oriental, woody scents but with my new job I have to sell face to face so I don't want to wear something that a customer could be offended by or not like

It's really hard to know what to suggest not knowing your preferences. Also, being in the US, I don't know what houses you can choose from. I know that Burberry is British and they make some pretty decent frags. I'd suggest considering Burberry Brit, London, and even the original Burberry for Men.

Well, I was hoping to get some recommendations because I'm just starting out with scents and don't really have a strong preference. I was hoping to get quite a few different scents recommended, then I could go try them out and find one I like. We do get alot of houses available in uk, nearly all designer scents are here as well quite alot of niche ones too. So if anyone has a recommendation, let me know.

Thanks guys

I did a quick read through on fragrantica.com of all the woody orientals. One that I consider safe and cheap is Zirh Corduroy.

Cheers brad appreciate it!

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I'm going to say Bvlgari Pour Homme for something safe and suitable for office. Nothing too formal, but still smells refined. It's a Darjeeling Tea-based scent.
    I agree with Bvlgari PH
    I want to add anothers: D&G Pour Homme: Citrus, Soft and safe scent. But i think it's a little generic. So forget it !!!!!
    I think for your job you shoud wear something to show you in confidence, trustable, with modern thinking.
    Carolina Herrera CH
    Dior Homme Intense

YSL Jazz

Hermes Equipage, or Trussardi Inside

Alot of different scents...thanks guys. I'll try as many as I can and update later on which I chose. In the meantime, keep telling me more.

Cheers

Sur la Plage

YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Prada Amber pour Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

More office-friendly designer frags to try:-

Guerlain Heritage
    Guerlain Homme Intense
    Bulgari pour Homme
    Burberry Men (original)
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
    Dior Homme
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Chanel No.19
    D&G The One
    Paul Smith Story
    Mugler Cologne
    L'eau d'Issey pour Homme
    Hermes Un Jardin series
    Cartier Declaration
    Kenzoair
    Kenzo Power
    Caron pour un Homme
    etc.

Here's the good news - once you've worked out the optimal dose to fit the occasion, pretty much anything goes - you can even wear powerhouses or heavy duty orientals.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Here's the good news - once you've worked out the optimal dose to fit the occasion, pretty much anything goes - you can even wear powerhouses or heavy duty orientals.
    +1, I'm not even going to list anything, because anything is ok for work if you apply lightly. Just get what you like and use it discreetly.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Classic, masculine, impossible to offend, cheap: Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I work in a very conservative professional environment so I have to check the appropriate-ness of what I wear on a daily basis. Two that I've found are perfect (for me, at least) are Canali for Men and Gendarme. If you go the Gendarme route, I'd suggest getting the edc as well as the relatively new edp. Couple or three shots of the edc and then one of the edp for longevity's sake. The perfect way to wear Gendarme (IMO). Any way you go, good luck with your new job!

There have been some good recommendations already. I'll add Pleasures, Polo Black, Hugo Boss, Tuscany, etc. I agree that you should wear whatever fragrance you like as long as you don't overdo it. Work environment and seasons be dammed, I just wear whatever I like, when I like it. lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Mugler Cologne

Grigioperla might be worth a try - pretty cheap online (£15 for 100ml EDT in some places) and it's a great scent which shouldn't offend anyone.

Id like to throw in my two cents. For a professional environment you want to be unobtrusive and yet distinctive. I would suggest IKON from Zihr or the classic Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior. Best of luck with your new job.+

Thank you to everyone who replied..didn't expect so many replies. Goes to show the strength of the BN community. Cheers guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by moses786 View Post

Looking to broaden my scents and I do seem to favour oriental, woody scents but with my new job I have to sell face to face so I don't want to wear something that a customer could be offended by or not like
    Lauder Intuition is a good office scent as far as woody orientals go. So is Givenchy Pi if used sparingly. Someone else has already suggested Pierre Cardin.

My favorite to wear to work is Yatagan.

I don't know what price range you are looking at, but Vanilla and Anise by Jo Malone has been getting quite a few compliments from my co-workers. It ranges from $55 (30ml) to $100 (100ml) and smells a bit like rootbeer - but in a very good way. Many compliments from the women.

My inexpensive-for-the-office list includes Chanel Pour Monsieur, Cartier Pasha, YSL Rive Gauche. Not cheap-inexpensive, but not pricey niche either.

A good pricey niche for the office: Serge Lutens L'eau. You can find it at discounted prices online, and it's surprisingly strong stuff, so a bottle will last a good long while. It smells like fresh laundered clothes - not quite like detergent or fabric softener, but something more up-market and distinctive. I get raves from the girls in my office.

I just began wearing Faconnable Stripe and I think its a great office scent. It has been described as light and transparent, which it is, but it is by all means perceptible and lasting unlike many designer scents that turn transparent and vanish. I have average skin as far as oil levels go, and I get 6-8hrs with only 3 sprays (the sprayer is pretty powerful). Even the sillage is appreciable.

Tom ford for men
    Tom ford Grey vetiver

I'll throw in another for Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur for its awesome bang for the buck. Also quite affordable, and one I wear to work occasionally is Paco Rabanne Pour Homme.

For a bit more ching, YSL Rive Gauche is awesome. As has also been mentioned, about anything you like, applied conservatively, ought to be fine.

Unique and safe for work, oriental, woody. Brad's Corduroy recommendation is definitely good. I'm also gonna recommend Tommy Bahama which is a nice woodsy/peppery slightly leathery cologne that's very versatile.

+1 on the Gendarme recommendation. Discreet, smells clean, good for year-round usage, won't offend anyone, doesn't draw unnecessary attention to itself. One of my top picks for office scents.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Hi Moses

Congrats on your new job. Do you have an idea of what your preferences may be? Let us know what you have smelled previously and if you liked them, and we might be able to suggest something closer to what you may fancy.

Yes, second. Stole my thunder. Extreme would work well too. Very refined, classy scent.
    “Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Polo.

+1 on paco rabanne XS. Also Emporio Armani He.

I wore YSL Rive Gauche to work once and had someone tell me they smelled me coming before I entered the room. But there is a rive gauche light that might be worth checking out. Yatagan might bother some.
    She gets a special cologne. It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther so you know it's good.

Emporio Armani He
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

fountain

two sprays of rl polo will make you and your co-workers feel very comfortable, let alone it's really stylish, imo.

These are my work scents currently

Prada amber pour Homme
    Azzaro Chrome
    Azzaro PH
    Azzaro Onyx

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme
    Curve for Men
    Armani Attitude

sometimes Kenzo Tokyo

Wearing Gucci Envy today

All these scents are pleasant to smell and i don't find it too offensive or overpowering. I commute by Metro and work pretty close to my coworkers.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."