Code of Conduct

Default suggestions for something different from my norm...

let me explain... i usually like classic gentlemanly fragrances ala git, adp, equipage and powerhouses like van cleef and arpels, montana parfum d'homme.

anyways i was rereading the guide again and reading some of tania sanchez's essays. she says:

but it is highly recommended to avoid simply wearingthe thing that you believe matches your style since it may not.
    so far i've been thinking of juicy couture dirty english and kenzo jungle pour homme. the former looks trashy hopefully in a good way, while the latter looks fun especially the bottle. those are mostly impressions of the brand and packaging and not the actual scent though.

fat electrician sounds interesting but may be too expensive for an experement. paco rabanne pour homme is interesting too and i think could work. my experience with it is that an uncle of mine loved it and he had the most vulgar yet expensive taste. gold rolexes or other blinged out watches, horrible looking hookers, living in with said hookers, cheap dye job. ah well you get it! anyways it would've been great if he didn't refresh every hour. he also used the soap/ aftershave and put them in one of those dirty auld men clutch bags along with cash and a loaded gun. where do people get these ideas? uhhh....

so i'd like to hear your suggestions for anything i'm not used to. could be trashy, fun, or vulgar i dunno.
    Last edited by pourhomme; 9th July 2010 at 09:37 AM.

Default Re: suggestions for something different from my norm...

Tommy Bahama frags are a bit fun. I think Set Sail St. Barts gives the impression of sitting at a bar along a tropical beach, sipping pina coladas and watching the ocean.

DeepSilence

Curve For Men: Fresh, Green , Aromatic, Spicy. I think it can change your taste, and you can enjoy it.

Sur la Plage

Joop Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don´t know your wardrobe, but these ones could be a nice counterpoint (my powerhouse recreation frags):

Opium PH (EDP)
    Dior Homme (Intense)
    Rochas Lui
    Lanvin Arpege Homme
    Bogart Pour Homme
    M7
    Terre D´Hermes (Pure Perfume)
    Last edited by easyfish; 9th July 2010 at 12:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Try some classics from the 'women's range' :

Guerlain Mitsouko
    Chanel Cristalle
    Chanel Cuir de Russie

Or go with smoky, dry frags like:

SL Serge Noire
    Chanel Sycomore

...there's just so much more out there! Enjoy!

Blog Entries

+1 on Terre d'Hermes. Great, very interesting frag.

I will also add L'eau par Kenzo, which I thing is bright, uplifting, maybe even "youthful". Quite the opposite of "classic" and "gentlemanly" IMO, but I love it. And for a slightly more "mature" take on the same theme, try Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. I've also heard the already recommended Chanel Cristalle is along the same theme, but I have yet to try it myself.

Blog Entries

Rive Gauche. one of the naughtiest fragrances ever...

Quote Originally Posted by pourhomme View Post
    ... paco rabanne pour homme is interesting too and i think could work. my experience with it is that an uncle of mine loved it and he had the most vulgar yet expensive taste. gold rolexes or other blinged out watches, horrible looking hookers, living in with said hookers, cheap dye job. ah well you get it! anyways it would've been great if he didn't refresh every hour. he also used the soap/ aftershave and put them in one of those dirty auld men clutch bags along with cash and a loaded gun. where do people get these ideas? uhhh...
    LOL I wish I had an uncle like that!

I'd go for the sickly sweet and strong ones:

- Joop! Homme
    - Le Male
    - A*Men

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    I'd go for the sickly sweet and strong ones:

- Joop! Homme
    - Le Male
    - A*Men
    Agreed on that! Or how about some aquatics

Anyways, your uncle doesn't live in Vegas does he?

millesime imperial and virgin island water by creed

terre de hermes is still an elegant frag that may be a modern classic. aquatics i grew up on so not really out of my norm. the women's frags are still close to elegant things even more so. maybe the frags that are so bad they're good. that bogart sounds like it lol! joop i've been hearing about it being bad. maybe i'll give that a sniff. or maybe tabarome millesime!

Anyways, your uncle doesn't live in Vegas does he?
    dubai! he wears an amber now mixed by the locals. i'm not quite sure though if he had it mixed for his home and wore it or he jut bought it and decided to spray it all over his home too since he and his house smell alike and he's the type to use cologne as air freshener being the wasteful person that he is.
    Last edited by pourhomme; 12th July 2010 at 12:37 PM.

I'd definitely give the Bogart PH a try - it's literally the smell of aromatic cherry pipe tobacco - heady and quite moreish!

It's fairly cheap and definitely has the power and longevity you've come to expect from your 'powerhouse' fragrances such as Van Cleef & Arpels - I get 16 hours + from this with 2-3 sprays!!

Derbyman's appreciation on Bogart pH is quite right... one of may favs, useful in the case you are involved in a sillage war, LOL. I don't know why but I am pretty sure that if your uncles sniffs it, he will adopt it as his signature scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    I don't know why but I am pretty sure that if your uncles sniffs it, he will adopt it as his signature scent.
    !!!!!!!!! It's true it has got that slightly seedy 70's vibe about it - cigarettes and maraschino cherries! Nice though...I'm sure you'll love it - if not, then your Uncle's Xmas present is sorted for this year!

hahaha thanks guys! bogart it is. i probably don't want something really bad bad anyway that my nose won't appreciate. the bottle looks alright too. i was expecting something that looked like aramis in faux burl but way uglier. he actually likes aramis too. you know what? i will give him bph for xmas! but i'm going to put it in the bottle of amouage gold. man i can see it now haha! he'd go absolutely nuts with praises about what an ethereal beauty amouage gold is!

Shalimar - leave them wondering if they're smelling you or your "lady friend"
    Kouros could be fun or vulgar, depending on your skin chemistry

I would recommend the following:

One more vote for the Terre d'Hermes parfum. Other ideas:

Guerlain Derby EDT: wonderful leather floral chypre. A must for those who prefer "elegant" masculines.

Habit Rouge EDT: citrus with leather and a touch of vanilla. A classic. Try the EDP of this, called Beau Cavalier in North America, for the addition of agarwood. If you really want the rare, try the parfum.

Chanel No. 19 EDP: (sold as a feminine) This is a very green floral with leather.

Le Dandy by Parfums D'Orsay: a spicy floral with notes of ginger and pineapple with leather and tobacco. A wonderful boozy whiskey topnote. This is unique, to say the least. BTW, this is now available in the eau de parfum format. Please ignore the marketing hype that the namesake, the Comte d'Orsay, was a perfumer. This was advertising copy dreamed up up in 1908 when the company was founded, not 1830 like it says on the bottle.) (For more history of this perfume house, see "Perfume Presentations" by Leach, and "Perfume Handbook" by Groom for more on this.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Your uncle sounds like a hero.

Try Burberry London. It's a nice, interesting winter one - cheap too.

You definitely should not be afraid to try niche fragrances, but do it economically by hunting them down in malls or ordering samples from theperfumedcourt or luckyscent.

Personally, I would recommend Fahrenheit for a different kind of scent. It doesn't get anymore different than this.