Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Jo Malone?

I was in Nordstrom's and stopped by the Jo Malone in store boutique. I chose a few bottles to just do a quick test sniff, and I was impressed. The Jo Malone rep was very helpful, and gave me 4 full sample vials of the ones I had tried. She also gave me literature about how they encourage layering. All in all it was a pleasant experience.

Are there any standouts in the line that I should look to sample and consider?

Default Re: Thoughts on Jo Malone?

My personal opinion is that when companies encourage layering of their products, they fail to have fragrances that stand on their own. I have tried about 10 of the Jo Malone line and can say that a few are ok, nothing stellar to my nose. The layering of these said fragrances was a disaster as well.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I think Black Vetyver Café works well as a standalone, if you like the combination, that is.

I do think some of them fail as stand-alones.

Sur la Plage

I like a few:

Pomegranate Noir
    Sweet Lime and Cedar
    Lime, Basil and Mandarin
    Amber and Lavendar
    Blue Agava and Cacao

But I find most of them mediocre. Also, I don't layer any of them.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 9th July 2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I've tried Lime Basil and Mandarin, Verbena of Provence, Graperfuit, Orange Blossom, Sweet Lime and Cedar and French Lime Blossom but I found them all very bland and certainly not long lasting on me. I also tried Floris and Penhaligons around the same time and none of theirs hit the mark with me either. It's always pot luck with sampling, you either love or loathe

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is one of my favorites - wood and cardamon. It's a bit fuller than a typical Jo Malone offering. I also like their very popular Lime Basil and Mandarin, a really satisfying, if somewhat traditional, take on the citrus cologne genre - the basil gives it a somewhat dirty tone. Their layering concept is fun and somewhat educational, but I suspect it's their way of generating multiple sales. I do think the line is slightly over-priced for what it is, but their offerings, for the most part, smell of high quality.

Basenotes Institution

I love 2 ,like a few and dislike a couple.
    Love- Tuberose and Vintage Gardenia.
    Like - Honeysuckle and Jasmine, Nectarine Blossom and Honey , Blue Agava and Cacao, Lime,Basil and Mandarin
    Dislike Pomegranate Noir, Grapefruit

After reading an article likening Jo Malone to the Martha Stewart of Fragrance- it put me off as well.

Some of her stuff lasts and some don't.
    Pomegranate Noir and V Gardenia do last very well. The others don't have too much staying power IMHO.
    Each to their own I guess .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 9th July 2010 at 02:55 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

They work as a cologne in every sense. I wouldn't consider these when I want deep satisfaction. I use to wear vetiver and the lime basil mandarin. These two layered decently but I agree in that these are not substantial enough for my liking. I suppose I would wear something from this line on a day where I wanted to be anti-perfume.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    My personal opinion is that when companies encourage layering of their products, they fail to have fragrances that stand on their own.
    BINGO!

Still, I think some of these scents are pretty good. One that I really love is Amber and Lavender. I wasn't dazzled by it in the shop, but the cute SA with a NY accent had me sold in five seconds flat. I was putty in her hands! Anyway, Amber and Lavender is kind of a soapy, dry old school lavender that gets warmer as it dries down. I find it perfect for any formal occasion like a wedding-- even a funeral! There's a very subtle, masterful use of cool spearmint in the topnotes and very warm myrrh/incense in the base. Not your typical lavender, nor amber by any means-- it's less powdery than most lavenders, and sharper and less sweet than most ambers. It's almost got a leathery/tannic aspect that reminds me of Michael Kors for Men/RL Safari for Men.

A brilliantly composed scent that I get more of an emotional attachment to as time goes by.

Amber and Lavender is good stuff...
    -

Blog Entries

I like Pomegranate Noir, though it's kind of a loudmouth silage bomb. I'm also a fan of her vetiver (which is actually more citrus than vetiver) and I have a longstanding love affair going with Nutmeg & Ginger, which lasts about 10 minutes and burns my nose, but those 10 minutes are totally worth it.

I also heartily respect some of her florals: Red Roses, Nectarine Blossom & Honey, and the Orange Flower one.

I want to like Black Vetyver Cafe, but I just think it smells weird on me. Vetiver and coffee? Two of my favorite notes that have no business being mixed together....
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I tried many of JM popular ones including PN and BVC but wasn't terribly impressed. I didn't find them to be substantial or serious as products the way many other fragrances give me pleasure. I wish I could explain better. I felt like they didn't stand a chance against the many better quality selections I have in my wardrobe.
    I understand and respect that they may be very good and they have their fans--just didn't work for me.

Not a big fan. If it needs further processing, then maybe the creator should have done that. Besides, I have so many other things I'd rather wear. Just my two cents worth.

Amber and Lavender is good if you like that kind of lighter scent

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I think Black Vetyver Café works well as a standalone, if you like the combination, that is.

ABSOLUTELY. The only other one worthy of note IMO is Blue Agava and Cacao but it's a tepid note.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post

I agree that it is a very provocative and interesting fragrance, one of her best. However, my general issue with Jo Malone fragrances is their lack of longevity and sillage.

Best,

TJ

Smelled a few but personally don't care very much for their scents at all

They really are well done frags. Nice stuff. I like many but the Blue Agave & Cacao is terrific.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I tried about a dozen of these last summer and I remember liking a few of them, particularly Orange Blossom, but I recall longevity was poor and none of them impressed me enough to get a bottle.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I've only worn a few from JM but have gotten a number of compliments when wearing Vanilla and Anise (I think it's the newest). It smells a lot like rootbeer, but in a good way. Pomegranate Noir is also good.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Amber and Lavender is the stand-out frag for me. I think it is quite well done, has a subtantial, old-school vibe and it has good longevity on me.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

We actually had a counter open here a few months back. I had a good sniff, already knew and hate Lime Basil and the Lavender and Amber which I should have loved by the notes.

Do really like the Vanilla and Anise and the Blue Agava and Cacao. The new Intense Colognes do sound interesting but my counter is not getting them. So will never know.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by jbthorpe View Post
    I've only worn a few from JM but have gotten a number of compliments when wearing Vanilla and Anise (I think it's the newest). It smells a lot like rootbeer, but in a good way. Pomegranate Noir is also good.
    I have tested most of them too and apart from Vanilla and Anise (which I think is quite awesome) I don't think they are value for money propositions. They are just not good enough to justify the high price.

I gave just about all of them a test the other day, and walked away with a bunch of sample, but did purchase one - 'Wild Fig and Cassis'.

I don't know about 'wild fig' but I get alot of melon scent out of it. A real mellow relaxing melon, which is perfect for summer wear. I would wear it on a boat or a cruise. As far as layering, one quick spray of their 'Amber and Lavender' over the Fig scent really enhances it in an interesting way.

I'm quite happy to have found a new and unique spring/summer scent to add to my collection, and one that ISN'T one of the oh-so-typical 'aquatics' that permeate the scene in those seasons.

Blog Entries

l've tried only two; Dark Amber & Ginger Lily, which was mainly ginger with none of the rich, satisfying aspects of amber; & Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom & Myrrh, which was all cardamom on me & no gardenia. As a gardenia lover this was very disappointing. So far l find these scents rather one-dimensional & short-lived, & am not tempted to try any more. Not worth the price for me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I tried both their vetivers, they are ok but not impressed.

Of the three I have tried I found them be short lived, sharp, and very alcoholic smelling.

Jo Malone tends to produce very good quality scents with good quality ingredients though they don't seem to suit me well.

I agree, they are high quality. However I think even though they say many are unisex, overall they are suited more towards women.

I WILL SAY THOUGH, that the Sales Associate at Saks in the Jo Malone boutique was one of the friendliest and knowledgable I have come across regarding fragrance. Not only with very in depth knowledge of the Jo Malone line, but of high-end/boutique fragrances in general. I had as much fun conversing with the SA as I did trying out the fragrances.