Code of Conduct

Default Millesime Imperial CREED From Fragrancenet Smells Way Different from Neiman and Saks Testers

Millesime Imperial CREED From Fragrancenet.com Smells Way Different from Neiman and Saks Testers. Here Are Pics Of My Bottle and Box, The Testers Smell Of Way Less Alcohol and Have Alot More Melon and Fruit. Has Anyone Experienced This?..
    And If Anyone Could Tell What The Year Is On This Bottle Of Mine That Could Help Me Out...
    I am Upset But I Was Thinking That Maybe The Testers Were Old At Both Stores....

Last edited by DavidBee456; 9th July 2010 at 02:12 PM.

Default Re: Millesime Imperial CREED From Fragrancenet Smells Way Different from Neiman and Saks Testers

Well it certainly isn't old.

All I can say is that it has been a fairly common complaint here that the topnotes in MI degrade. By no means universal, but still it has been talked about.

Default Re: Millesime Imperial CREED From Fragrancenet Smells Way Different from Neiman and Saks Testers

way less watermelon and i smell strong alcohol when i spray it at first compared to Saks and Neiman

I stopped by a Saks on my way into the mall to reapply some MI. When I sprayed myself with their tester I immediately regretted it. There was such funky (musky?) vibe to it that it smelled like a completely different scent. Luckily I sprayed it on my wrists so I was able to go scrub it off. It smelled like the scent had spoiled, not just degraded. Who knows, I got my bottle from fragrance net and it smells great.
    Last edited by Captcrunch; 9th July 2010 at 02:49 PM.

both testers had XX08XXX numbers meaning 08 Year???

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBee456 View Post
    both testers had XX08XXX numbers meaning 08 Year???
    I don't think that means much of anything. My bottle (newer with gold label) has 01 for the lot number which is way before the newer bottle was released.
    Last edited by Captcrunch; 9th July 2010 at 03:06 PM.

Its the 3rd and 4th Number i thought my lot# is W01 too.

I have a 2.5 oz bottle with an 06 code on it. Got it in 2007 (from scentiments). Was happy with it. About a year later the top notes diminished. Still wearable, but the opening is degraded. I tested some at Nieman Marcus last month; to me, the top notes were there, but the drydown was thinner that what I have at home. I will retest again. As of right now, I will not repurchase. But I do try to keep an open mind.

This creed madness!

did you smell more or less alcohol in the opening after time?

i smell hairspray burst when i first spray it i did not at the store

did you smell more or less alcohol in the opening after time?
    I don't get more alcohol. Just as if the melon note were turned down (or off).

I got two bottles this spring and they are very different indeed.

One was from Beauty Encounter. It has an "08" year stamp on it. The juice has a noticeable GREEN tint to it. It smells really great though. Best MI I've ever had (about 4 now). It's mid notes (the florals) are really pronounced and wonderful.

The other one was from Creed Boutique. It has an "09" year stamp on it. It is perfectly clear, no tint at all. And I can't figure it out... it's very salty and kind of weak. As if it's all top notes and basenotes, lacking the mids. I've noticed over the past few months that it's aging well... it's starting to smell "fuller". But I actually like this one too because I use it to layer with other creed fragrances. it works magic with GIT.

thats what i was thinking..the creed bottle i have might be new and the testers are more aged..maybe the super ripe melon comes from age? i would think the new bottle would have that too

thats what i was thinking..the creed bottle i have might be new and the testers are more aged..maybe the super ripe melon comes from age? i would think the new bottle would have that too
    one basenoter suggested I fridge the bottle and that did help reinvigorate the top notes somewhat.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 9th July 2010 at 04:34 PM.

I agree Creed have short shelf life, they constantly change, I ordered my Green Irish Tweed from an official Creed retailer and it smells much much better than the sample. This is why, when it comes to this fragrance house, pay the retail price and you'll get a much better juice than from discount stores.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Even Saks And Neiman are still Selling 08 serial numbers so Fragrancenet sent me a newer bottle

Even Saks And Neiman are still Selling 08 serial numbers so Fragrancenet sent me a newer bottle
    the way it is with discount places like Fragrancenet and BeautyEncounter is... if it's a popular Creed that sells a lot, go ahead and get it. They restock their inventory quickly as turnover is higher, so the bottles don't sit there long.

if, however, it's a more niche Creed that doesn't sell like hotcakes... say Santal Imperial for instance, then I would suggest buying from Creed directly (Boutique online or NYC). Reason is that since the turnover isn't high, it's likely that those bottles have been sitting there since 2001.

I recently bought a bottle of MI and I must say I'm disappointed with its projection and longevity. Out of the 5 Creeds I own, I think it's the weakest. I am now considering purchasing Erolfa/Green Valley. I really hope either of them will be more vivid and longer lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Granola View Post
    This creed madness!

It's been interesting reading the posts to this thread. I've recently got hold of 2 decants from fellow Basenoters and both of my MI's are far different. I actually thought one had gone off (it was a great swap deal though even if it hasn't), because it has a strong smell to it that I can only describe as petrol, but it now appears this may be one decanted from a bottle that smells different to the MI I am used to.

M.I. is arguably the *most* "variable" Creed I know. (Green Irish Tweed a close second.)

The difference is that, in almost 11 years of owning multiple "editions," I've never been disappointed by any GIT - I actually enjoyed the vintage differences. With M.I. things are different. My very first one - from the old Creed Boutique - was the dream citrus of all times ... a bit like the long-discontinued Les Hesperides de la Grande Serre (from L'Artisan Parfumeur) in terms of top notes quality, but with more depth and sillage.

I've never found any M. I. to be of that quality since. I actually bought it (from different sources) and then re-sold it on EBay three times... while still a good cologne by all means, I just couldn't stand the discrepancy between the newer bottles and what I remembered it "had" to be.

I'd be ready to admit that my nose may have changed... but then why didn't I become more demanding of GIT as well?

Since this topic about Creed is constantly being discussed it leads me to believe one of two things- Creed has poor quality control or people here are just plain crazy. I am not sure which to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    Since this topic about Creed is constantly being discussed it leads me to believe one of two things- Creed has poor quality control or people here are just plain crazy. I am not sure which to believe.
    You're welcome to believe both at the same time (-:

Jokes aside,

1) Even if I were crazy, which wouldn't be too hard to demonstrate in any fair legal system, there are some serious noses here which are not.

2) Variability doesn't entail poor "quality control". Think wines. You can get (to pick a wine which is pretty good but doesn't cost an arm and a leg) Louis Jadot Pinot Noir, at the same price, with the same "seal," from 2005, 2006, 2007.....

They will vary in quality and characteristics... sometimes considerably... but is it poor quality control or the inevitable vagaries of nature or of nature-dependent products? That's a difference between wine and Coca-Cola. You can always rely on Coca-Cola (-:.

Of course, customers who prefer consistency before anything might be put off by this variability, and legitimately so. On the other hand, others might accept it. (All said, even I, a Creed admirer, find the M. I. variability a little too much to stomach, given the price.)

I noticed that my MI flacon was an insipid concoction; it was mostly salt. I was concerned, but I purchased it directly from Creed, so it was authentic. I eventually spoke with the director at the Creed Boutique in New York and he said that their fragrances become "fuller" over time. I've had the fragrance for about 3 months now and the notes have become noticeably richer. I'm going to let it age a few more months before I start getting serious use out of it. Perhaps a flacon is the best way to purchase Creed fragrances since they age so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by pigasus27 View Post
    I noticed that my MI flacon was an insipid concoction; it was mostly salt. I was concerned, but I purchased it directly from Creed, so it was authentic. I eventually spoke with the director at the Creed Boutique in New York and he said that their fragrances become "fuller" over time. I've had the fragrance for about 3 months now and the notes have become noticeably richer. I'm going to let it age a few more months before I start getting serious use out of it. Perhaps a flacon is the best way to purchase Creed fragrances since they age so nicely.
    If it smells that bad leaving the house, they shouldn't be releasing it, should they? It is like releasing a cheese that is supposed to age for a year at nine months. Or a 10-year scotch in 6 years. Ridiculous.

Yea will, I actually have 2 MI's. The one from the split and a big bottle from a swap and they smell different, they big bottle is a little more salty but stronger while the decant is mild but seems to last longer. lmao idk whats up with that.

I bought a MI from fragrancenet last November and when I sprayed it I panicked. It smelled very alcoholic and I thought I had gotten a fake one. After several sprays and shakes I started to get the melon and the salty smell that I got from the sample I got from the perfumed court. What a relief that was. The only complain I have was that the gold on Creed emblem was pealing off but that must be a Creed issue.

I have gone through 3 bottles of MI since 2005 and currently own 1...2 are from Saks, and 2 from reputable online sites. In these past 5 years the only differences I have noticed are that in the "older" bottles the top notes were nearly non-existent and the millesime base was heavier. I bought the latest "new style" bottle last year, and it is certainly brighter. However thats exactly what I felt when I bought my 2nd to last bottle from Saks in 2007, and that juice had gotten progressively heavier over the years.

I have never experienced such wide variety of variations as the people here. But then I also don't buy Creed off ebay..
    -

I have the same issue with my new bottle of MI (also purchased from Fragrancenet). While I am reasonably sure it is authentic, I am baffled as to why it smells so inferior to my two-year old sample from Perfumed Court. The sample is a rich, creamy sandalwood with loads of melon / fruit and has great longevity, whereas my new bottle smells like a light, clear, fresh lemon / saltwater concoction with weak longevity. After only 10 or 15 minutes, I get nothing but a quasi-saltwater base (I assume this is the Creed ambergris drydown).

The sample is fantastically impressive, the bottle is nice enough but very weak and bears only the vaguest resemblance to the sample. So I'm debating whether or not to return it. Has anyone else experienced this dilemma? Did your bottle "mature" over time into something much more fruity and potent?
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 8th August 2010 at 11:33 PM.

If all of this is actually true, it really sounds like Creed has major quality control issues with Millesime Imperial and that they must be constantly reformulating/tweaking the formula. Chanel has been churning out a consistent Nš 5 and Pour Monsieur for decades. I do have to say this, every Creed that I've ever owned came from an online discounter and everyone has smelled consistent with the testers at Neimans, Saks, Aedes and the original NYC Creed boutique on Bond Street. I find this claim baffling.

I got my MI from fragrancenet.com around March I believe and I really don't have any complaints with it. I can smell more of the sea salt notes more than any kind of watermelon. But I get absolutely no alcohol smell what so ever. From what other people have been posting it sounds like Creed does a bad job at staying consistent with their formula.

I'm pretty much convinced that TPC put the wrong Creed fragrance into the MI sample atomizer. I don't know what it is, but there is no way this is the same juice as my Fragrancenet bottle. I'm going to Nordstrom tomorrow to test their bottle of MI and make a comparison.

If you want to age it a little to test if the top notes come out try putting a little in a sample vial....like half a ml if that. Then put it under a desk lamp so it gets a little warm for a few hours. Then the next day put on a swipe and see if it's any different. You have to wait a day so the notes meld together. Then repeat steps and try it again the next day.

A few days of that should change the scent dramatically! To the point where if you do it too much for like 2 weeks straight that all the top notes will completely wear off. It's a cool little test to do!

I bought my MI 2.5oz a year ago. It was the newer clear bottle with the clear juice. When I bought it I noticed the top notes were almost gone.....it was very salty and musky compared to the samples I had which were alot more fruity and full bodied. I haven't tried the MI in like 6 months or so....tonight when I get home I am going to see if it changed any!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    I bought my MI 2.5oz a year ago. It was the newer clear bottle with the clear juice. When I bought it I noticed the top notes were almost gone.....it was very salty and musky compared to the samples I had which were alot more fruity and full bodied. I haven't tried the MI in like 6 months or so....tonight when I get home I am going to see if it changed any!
    Cool man. Let us know what you think.

Well I went to Nordstrom today to compare my Fragrancenet MI with their tester bottle of MI, and there is no comparison. The Nordstrom tester is hands down the better fragrance of the two, by far. I also brought a friend along who is a huge MI fan as well, and he confirmed it by comparing my bottle with his own sample. This Fragrancenet bottle is a weak, watered-down version of the real thing.

I was also able to confirm that my TPC sample is definitely MI. While I don't doubt that the Fragrancenet bottle is legit, there is no getting around the discrepancy between it and every sample of MI I've tried. Which leads me to believe that either MI gets better over time, or it varies dramatically from batch to batch.

I guess I'll be returning this bottle. If I'm going to be spending $100+ on a fragrance, I want to be completely satisfied with it. The samples I tested were all great; it's too bad my bottle doesn't smell like any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Well I went to Nordstrom today to compare my Fragrancenet MI with their tester bottle of MI, and there is no comparison. The Nordstrom tester is hands down the better fragrance of the two, by far. I also brought a friend along who is a huge MI fan as well, and he confirmed it by comparing my bottle with his own sample. This Fragrancenet bottle is a weak, watered-down version of the real thing.

I was also able to confirm that my TPC sample is definitely MI. While I don't doubt that the Fragrancenet bottle is legit, there is no getting around the discrepancy between it and every sample of MI I've tried. Which leads me to believe that either MI gets better over time, or it varies dramatically from batch to batch.

I guess I'll be returning this bottle. If I'm going to be spending $100+ on a fragrance, I want to be completely satisfied with it. The samples I tested were all great; it's too bad my bottle doesn't smell like any of them.

What is the lot number on your fragrancenet bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    What is the lot number on your fragrancenet bottle?
    It is A3309W02, which matches the lot number on the sticker on the bottom of the box.

It is A3309W02, which matches the lot number on the sticker on the bottom of the box.
    hm, mine is C3309W01, I wonder what the difference is because I got mine from the same site and it smells great. I posted earlier I didn't get much melon but i just sampled it and I get more than I thought.

Hmmmm. . . this might explain why I read so many rhapsodic reviews of MI, while I find it just ok. Good, not great. I bought it from a high-end department store about a year ago. It's on the salty side. I don't get much melon or sweetness from it.

I had severe quality control issues with Neroli Sauvage. Returned two bottles - online purchases - before I finally got one that smelled like the wonderful sampler I sniffed in a department store. Were they counterfeit, or old, or just bad batches? Can't say for certain. I did learn a lesson, though: if at all possible, sniff the actual bottle you're buying, before you lay down the cash.

Millesime Imperial/Caveat emptor?
    (((((())))))

I forgot to try it lol I will tonight! I wore XXV. I don't think I have much confidence in it though I will post my experience. I think the old kind that was in the gold bottle was the good kind. Then when they changed it to the clear bottles somehow the juice changed as well. I still have some old samples to compare it with too. I remember when I first bought the clear bottle I compared the 2 and while the older samples were fruitier..... The samples almost smelled stale compared to the new bottle. It's almost as if the new kind in the clear bottle has a salty note and the old kind didn't. What was also strange was I found it really similar to erolfa. It was almost as if they were the same fragrance except one had a slight melon note the other a slight orange note. Both very musky and salty.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

Ok I tried my bottle and samples last night. The clear bottle still has something not quite right with it. It's not fake. But I think they mixed it wrong! There's too much musk and a touch too salty. The sample the musk was toned way down and smelled alot better! My erolfa bottle is the same way! A little too salty and musky. I think creed might have messed up making some!

my stuff for sale!

Yeah man I'm mailing mine back. Unfortunately this has put me off of Creed for the near future, maybe permanently. I don't even trust buying it from them directly. I'm not going to pay full price for a bottle of MI when I can't trust the juice inside to be even remotely correct, and I don't trust etailers anymore as far as Creeds as concerned. I guess I'll have to live without a bottle of MI. Oh well. There are plenty of other fragrances out there that are just as good.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 11th August 2010 at 11:49 AM.

Same situation here. I bought a 1 oz of MI from Fragrancenet, it came in a clear bottle and is weak and salty, less fruit than samples. I'm not sure if I'm going to return it or let it "age". I think it's weird that they'd get fruitier with age.

Now I'm a little worried to buy GIT from FragranceNet based on all the comments about Creed products on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    Now I'm a little worried to buy GIT from FragranceNet based on all the comments about Creed products on this thread
    I think as long as you have some authentic GIT samples to compare it with you'll be fine. If it doesn't smell right, just send it back. They're good about refunding your money, I was just refunded for my MI today.

I've never had a problem with Fragrancenet other than this issue with Millesime Imperial. But I've talked to other people who have had the same problem with MI even when it's bought directly from the Creed boutique. So I don't think the problem is necessarily Frgrancenet; it's just as likely to be Creed releasing bad batches of their product. Which is a damn shame, because I'd really like to own a bottle of the stuff but this latest fiasco has poisoned the well for me. I might give it another shot with a trusted Ebay seller but if it happens again I'm done with Creed. Or, at least with their fresh, light top sellers (GIT, MI, SMW, VIW). I'm not worried about getting a faulty bottle of, say, Baie de Genievre.

O boy. Guess who just got a MI from fragrancenet with the exact serial/lot number. And yeah theres a problem, Fruity melon note completely missing/hardly noticeable, comparing it side by side with a millesime imperial sample from nordstrom. I'm going to return and buy it from somewhere else. God dam wish it wouldn't happen to me.

I got a small MI bottle from Fragrancenet too. It smells better than my sample that came from the Creed Boutique with my order of Bois du Portugal and Acier Aluminum. I've gone back and forth several times between the two convinced at first that I was simply goofing it up.

Nope. I wasn't.

I kid not.

i have never, and will never, buy a fragrance online EVER. im way to paranoid about fakes. driving 15 minutes to the nearest nordstroms or sephora and paying the extra 30 or however much the difference is is defiently worth the peace of mind for me

$122 vs $275 for a creed. Which would you with if you could return/exchange the $122 one for free in case anything happened?

well if ur asking me personally, neither. because i wouldnt pay that much for a creed. but thats just me personally. so i can understand ur point

Quote Originally Posted by ctran019 View Post
    $122 vs $275 for a creed. Which would you with if you could return/exchange the $122 one for free in case anything happened?
    Fragrancenet rocks, I accidentally purchased Chanel Allure Sport COLOGNE thinking it was the EDT and I returned it no questions asked. Im waiting to order a 4oz. tester bottle of MI once I see it on Fragrancenet.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Maybe you guys should consider skipping MI and just wear another Creed. Kidding, kidding. You can't skip a favorite fragrance just because of some variances in quality. But really, it sounds like it's something that would worry a MI fan with every new bottle purchase . . . I've never tried MI because it doesn't sound like it's my kind of fragrance, but now I'm intrigued. I did do a side by side test of two different GIT vintages, and one was a little "funny" smelling in the middle, but not that bad. Both had the same top and drydown. Something about GIT seems to endure variances in vintage. All Creeds should be the same regardless of year, it's too bad they haven't managed it.

Fragrance.net is fine, my GIT that I purchased from them smell better and stronger than a decant that was purchased at a boutique. And the one from Fragnet is a 2007 bottle.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

This may offend you.

Here is the answer to put this to an end. Creed MI has been reformulated with a complete overhaul which is NOTHING like the old one. I am guessing this has happened in 2010 or a bit earlier. I think the new MI is garbage compared to the old one.

old mi: strong melon note with a base that smells like woody like GIT. Having never smelled this batch before you might think it has went rotten. (sometimes creed would add a cucumber note to the top)

new mi: very very weak melon compared to the original MI (I wouldn't even call it melon but a citrus mix of crap). It also is very salty and metallic in the base. Smells pathetic. I would describe it like a metal pipe sitting in salty water with a dash of some crappy citrus melon.