Code of Conduct

Default Do You Remember The First Time?

Since getting into fragrances, I've found that the first few times I wear a new fragrance are the best - sometimes amazing, in fact (particularly Knize Ten, so far). After that, there comes a period when I become acclimatized to a new fragrance, and after that I often seem to find I go off it a bit, but then later find myself cycling back to it and appreciating it anew. Do you think this is a common experience? Why do you think this happens?

I think that I would attempt to explain the first few times being the best in terms of having built up expectations, also not being acclimatized to the smell makes you more receptive to it, so it has more of an impact.

What do you reckon?

Default Re: Do You Remember The First Time?

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    ...I think that I would attempt to explain the first few times being the best in terms of having built up expectations, also not being acclimatized to the smell makes you more receptive to it, so it has more of an impact.

What do you reckon?
    Yeah, I have the same experience as this. Sometimes, I don't even cycle back to the fragrance. This is sort of a common experience with me. The first 2 SotD's with a fragrance are great ( assuming I really like the scent. If its a bad scent, then of course the SotD would go bad).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I agree with your experience overall. Generally, I like to get to know a scent over a week or so, and it is during this time that most associations seem to be made. I don't know if I would say that the first few times of wearing are the best, as some scents take weeks or months for me to know well (Grey Flannel being an example- 7+mo.). Sometimes, the best associations are made after you are familiar with a scent.

I do agree with the cycling on and off - particularly as it relates to seasons. Seasons seem to change the scent or the way I perceive the scent.

In my experience, I develop relationships with scents based on the associations I have/had when wearing them. These can be manipulated to a degree (i.e. wearing something when you know a positive experience is to be had), however, not as fully as one would want.

One of my favorite scents is forever associated with a bitter-sweet time of my life and nothing I have done has been able to shake it. I wish I could fully enjoy it without those association, but I don't think that will ever happen.

The opposite is usually true for me; rarely will I smell a fragrance once and go, "Oh wow, this is amazing!" My favorites, the ones I wear day in and day out and crave when I'm not wearing them, all took some time to grow on me - the first few sniffs didn't leave a huge impression, either positive or negative. Some of them even struck me as generic, or left me slightly disappointed after I'd built them up in my mind. After a few weeks of regular wear, though, they revealed their many facets to me and became essential. (Or maybe they just wore me down.)

Two that I can think of offhand that made me smile from first spray and still do: Angel and Tommy Girl.

Blog Entries

There are very few fragrances i've found to be profound. A*Men is one...everything else currently seems mediocre and like ive smelled it before. Nothing to come back to really. Actually add Fahrenheit as well, i just dont wear it alot

I have to agree with this. When I get new fragrance that I really love I am usually very happy about it and wear it proudly for few first days. Then it gets old fast, I find something that I dislike about it, or dont find it so versatile and I am going back to my old fragrances. It have to do something with our crave for new experiences.

Right now I am trying to buy just 50ml bottles max, or 10ml decants. Its enough to have variety and get good experience with it.

I wish I had just 1 summer and 1 winter signature but brain and nose still need something new
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I agree with this to an extent. It all depends on the fragrance really (at least for me). NR for Him almost seems different every time I try it; I always find something new. But when it DOES happen I love it. It's so great being away from it and then when you have it on you remember why you have it in the first place.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Sure, I remember the first time I smelled Original Vetiver (Creed), Tabarome Millesime (Creed), Silver Mountain Water (Creed), etc. Being accustomed is quick for me but appreciation and criticism of the fragrances is constant. Unfortunately, I would have to go cold turkey for TOO long, before I could have that "fresh" experience again. So long, that the frag could spoil or it would take forever to use it.